Pregnancy Tea!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's drinking it? What's in yours? Thoughts? Ohh... do you like it?

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#2 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not drinking it yet. I need to order some herbs to start!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM

I have not been drinking my tea these days.. I need to buy/pick some fresh herbs.. the ones I have are getting old and have been cramed into a drawer with all sorts of cooking spices for a few months.. not a great combo.

generally I put in some combo of these herbs..
Red raspberry leaf, Nettle, Oat straw, Alfalfa, Red Clover...

I actually really love the taste of iced RRL tea with a squeeze of lemon in it and lots of ice.

Nettle tea is not my most favorite but i know its good for me and baby..
I prefer my nettles cooked into food though

when i get move into my new house i plan to restock all of my herbs and make a herb cupboard, so i will def. begin drinking my pregnancy religiously again.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm drinking mine iced. This is the first pregnancy that I have drank pregnancy tea. I added rrl, nettles, dandelion root, lemon balm, oatstraw and spearmint. It tastes very yummy... I was quite surprised to be honest.

#5 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm drinking the tea from Aviva Jill Romm's "The Natural Pregnancy" I like it better iced than hot, but I drink it both ways (You wouldn't think I'd still need warm tea of an afternoon in June, but it was only 60* F today).

It has nettles, red clover, RRL, alfalfa, oat straw, rose hips, spearmint...I can copy over the "recipe" if anyone is interested. I'm doing 1/3c of mixed herbs per quart of water steeped overnight, mostly because my herbs are getting old. I bought them right before my m/c last fall.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#6 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM

Mmmm sounds good! Last pg I used nettles, rosehips, alfalfa, oatstraw and RRL. I loved it and drank it iced (made big batches).

#7 of 38 Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM

I faithfully downed tons of RRL tea last time, and by the end I was sick of it. I've been slowly starting in again, but the flavor straight is not agreeing with me, so I've been adding in dried fruit teas to improve the taste. Still haven't tried it iced, it's been to cold here to want iced tea!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#8 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
It has nettles, red clover, RRL, alfalfa, oat straw, rose hips, spearmint
Aviva's recipe is one I've used for years. It is so yummy. I up the rrl and spearmint, but make everything else according to her recipe. I make a big gallon jar of it at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I mix it with juice (pomegranate is my fav), sometimes not.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#9 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

I'm planning on getting some pregnancy tea and RRL tea from trad med probably. I did lots of RRL (switched to capsules after awhile b/c it was hard to drink tea several times a day while teaching, no place to brew or keep it) and I think it really helped me have an easy first birth. I was just waiting a bit until I was well into my 2nd tri since I've had a history of bleeding and didn't want to scare myself with anything

I like the taste of both kinds of tea, but very hot and iced are good... not tepid, which is why I stopped drinking for a while at work last time.
#10 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been drinking pregnancy tea from around wk 10 with this pregnancy.
I don't mix my own, I've been using Peaceful Mama by earthmamaangelbaby, and lots of RRL straight. I'm thinking of getting the one for heartburn, because thats starting up already.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#11 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 AM

This is my third pregnancy but I'm a pregnancy tea virgin. Can anyone point me to some resources about what to drink and what the benefits are? Also we grow red raspberries; can I just steep my own fresh leaves, or is there any reason why that's not a good idea?
#12 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM

If you have your own red raspberry bushes you can certainly harvest and steep your own. The herbalist Susun Weed has info on this.

The magazine, The Compleat Mother, has great info on the benefits of RRL tea. Unfortunately, there have only been a few randomized, controlled studies using RRL in pregnancy, but the studies that are out there show that it does have benefit as a uterine toner.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#13 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 PM

I drink premade red raspberry leaf tea and love it! I started drinking it last pregnancy and never stopped. I just drink it plain, and love the taste.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#14 of 38 Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Every time I see this thread, my brain initially reads it as Pregnancy Test!!!!, and I think that it seems a little late in the game for that

(Not drinking any particular tea at the moment)

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#15 of 38 Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Ive been drinking it for over a month now. I have bought two kinds (both in tea bags)- Traditional Medicinals Raspberry Leaf (its RRL) and the Yogi brand Mama to be or maybe its called Pregnancy I cant remember now.
What in it-Im way too lazy to go double check

I wanted to get loose RR leaves but my across the street go to spot was all out so Im going to get them next time.

Oh yea, and I do like it. I love tea in general and never drink RRL outside of pregnancy so I am not tired of the taste and enjoy it.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#16 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 AM

I have some RRL loose leaf tea, and some nettles. I haven't been drinking any for a couple weeks. Thanks for the reminder to start up again. It will definitely be nice to have some iced RRL tea during the summer. So far, I've just been drinking it hot.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#17 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not a tea drinker, despite my sister and DH being tea connoisseurs. I drank a lot of RRL tea my 2nd pregnancy (first homebirth and beginning of our natural journey), and could barely tolerate it last time.

I have a friend who made up some of Aviva Jill Romm's pregnancy tea and gave me some. I need to brew it and try it. I just have no love for tea so it's not exactly enticing to me.

I always did feel a lot of BH ctxs after drinking RRL tea, so I'm certain it was working at toning. And, I suppose the truth is I've not had long pushing phases with either of my HBACs.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 AM

RRL, nettles, sometimes green tea if I need some gentle caffine, and agave. What is Aviva's recipe? Is she an herbalist? I must look into her, herbs are something I'm trying to learn more about. . .

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#19 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM

I drank it faithfully with my last pregnancy. I need to start again. Is there a cheap online source?

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#20 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorfknitmama View Post
RRL, nettles, sometimes green tea if I need some gentle caffine, and agave. What is Aviva's recipe? Is she an herbalist? I must look into her, herbs are something I'm trying to learn more about. . .
Aviva Jill Romm is an herbalist and midwife. She has several birth and natural health-related books. Her book, the Natural Pregnancy Book is one I keep on my coffee table when I'm pregnant because its such a great reference. The Nourishment tea recipe is the one Karen and I both referenced.

#21 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm drinking the Traditional Medicines Pregnancy Tea, currently. I'm making an iced pitcher of it every couple of days. Will be getting some loose red raspberry leaf tea probably in third tri.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#22 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a quick question for you ladies --

My midwife recommends doing an infusion of RRL and dandelion and/or nettles, but I'm also following the Brewer diet and it recommends staying away from dandelion, nettle and alfalfa because they have diuretic properties :/

What do you guys think?

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#23 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think herbal diuretics are way different than pharmaceutical diuretics, way gentler. They have beneficial properties that other diuretics do not. I would just be mindful of how they make you feel, if you aren't comfortable taking them then just stick to the RRL. (this is all just my opinion )

#24 of 38 Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM

ITA with Nic on this one. I think this is wise advice!

#25 of 38 Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorfknitmama View Post
She is an herbalist, and a midwife. Her "recipe" is found on page 91 of her book "The Natural Pregnancy", and she calls it Nourishment Tea:

Quote:
Nourishment Tea

This is my favorite tea in pregnancy. It is a nutrient supplement (iron, calcium, and many vitamins and trace minerals), and is an overall partus peparator or birth preparation brew. The dried herbs can be mixed in a large batch to have on hand. The tea is delicious both hot and cold, and it can be enjoyed by your whole family. ou can vary the quantities of the ingredients, or add and omit herbs from time to time. It is safe to drink this brew throughout pregnancy and during labor. It is beneficial for the postpartum as well, as it helps with milk production.

2 part red raspberry leaf
2parts nettle
1 part oatstraw
0.5 part alfalfa
0.5 part rose hips
0.25 part red clover
0.25 part spearmint

Mix all of the dried herbs together and store in an airtight container away from heat and light. To prepare your infusion, place a heaping 1/4 cup of the mixture in a quart-sized jar. Add boiling water to fill the jar, cover and let steep for a minimum of 30 minutes, a maximum of 2 hours. Strain, sweeten, and drink 1 to 4 cups daily.
I usually steep mine overnight, and I don't sweeten. I also use a bit more spearmint, for flavor. I mix up a huge batch and store in a stainless steel container, the kind with the airtight lid.

ETA: Her book contains the properties and reasons for using the herbs. It is available in most libraries, I think.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#26 of 38 Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM

Karen, I've been making my tea like you posted, but without rosehips or spearmint (don't have any!). I have been drinking a little under a pint a day. Think it's safe to up it? I like it a lot and would like to drink more than that. I remember drinking more than that a day with #4 but can't remember exactly. It hasn't led to an increase in BH or anything.

#27 of 38 Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 AM

I bought a Materna Tea mix from my local herb shop, and it has Alfalfa, Nettle leaf, Oatstraw, Raspberry leaf, Rosebuds and petals in it. No spearmint. I also bought some extra RRL, so I'm going to add that in tonight. I really like it unsweetened. I tend to drink it in the evenings, though, which makes me have to pee in the middle of the night! I should probably change that...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#28 of 38 Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 AM

I get mine from the birth center--4-6 T of herbs to a quart of boiling water, steep for 4 hours. I like to drink it cold. Their blend has RRL, Nettles, Alfalfa and Mint. I really like how it tastes.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#29 of 38 Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Kittywitty! I have spearmint No rosehips though, lol.

I need to pick up some alfalfa but I don't feel it's a pressing issue at this point. I feel the nettles are better for me for some reason?? I also don't agree in using red clover blossom in pregnancy tea... and I add dandelion root to mine.

#30 of 38 Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Nettles are really good. They help with BP and swelling I believe. My MW's apprentice is an herbalist and she can't say enough about nettles. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page