Whatcha gettin' for baby? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
PRETTY!!! Why are you tempting me to look at new BBS patterns? I already have two... although I did always say I might get another with the new baby, know that I know how much I love them. I think BBS is the BEST stretchy wrap. Mobys might be good for when it's really cold and you want soft and warm fabric, but my lactating boobs keep baby plenty warm
So glad to know you love the BBS! I have heard great things about it. I've started wrapping my 2.5yo with a woven wrap more, and like the idea that the BBS is less uber stretchy than most stretchies. I also totally fell for that pattern! Hopefully it'll find a home here and be much loved.

Bobbi, how awesome about the KKAFP! And trying things is always the best way to go. Glad you get to try out a Beco!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot about my never-ending cart at www.happygreenbee.com . I love the bright colors and that it's all organic. The clearance section is really inexpensive, which is were all of my future purchases are coming from!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#63 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You just had to go share that, Nikki, right? Now I have to spend a bunch of money.

Now I want a KKAFP, too!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#64 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
You just had to go share that, Nikki, right? Now I have to spend a bunch of money.

Now I want a KKAFP, too!
Well, at least $35 in order to get free shipping

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#65 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM

okay, I think you guys convinced me to get a BBS. They have some beautiful patterns too! It will be hard to decide.

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#66 of 87 Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Now I want a KKAFP, too!
Put me on that list too.
#67 of 87 Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

well, i showed my mom the baby hammock and she loves it and wants to get it for us..so i ordered it today from a place in Canada. it even has free shipping! they dont usually carry the organic/wool version but they are special ordering it for us. im so excited. im totally going to set it up as soon as it arrives so i can paw it.

i went through my cloth diaper stash and im totally set there i think...i may get a few new newborn prefolds and maybe a few bamboo fitteds just for fun. but we dpnt need anything really..
oh, and i ordered 2 organic cotton bras for myself from here http://www.rawganique.com/CLwomansintimates.htm there are a bunch of mamas ordering them in my community all together. im excited!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#68 of 87 Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM

After seeing and reading this post I had to go look at my GROWING list of things we need/want. We got rid of several items, we we're replacing a few things and adding some to the list.

This is what I have so far:

Car Seat*
Stroller
High Chair
Crib Bedding
Breast Pump*
Baby Monitor
Swing*
Bouncer*
New wrap or Beco*
Nursing pads*
Milk storage*
Lansinoh*
Disposable and Cloth Diapers*
A Boppy*
2 Fleece Buntings*
And of course all the cute little socks, hats, sleepers, gowns, etc....

The starred items are the ones I will likely need right away. The others I'll get as needed, because really, my newborn won't be using a crib but will be in the co-sleeper next to me and they definately won't be using the high chair until they can sit up. The biggest debate is whether I need a pump. I never used one with DD2, and I'll be at home FT....
#69 of 87 Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just scored a like new KKAFP (khaki colour) for 18.00 PPD from TheBabyWearer! I'm so stoked. I have one (in olive green) but its getting pretty worn and I think having 2 will be great.. I always missed mine when I was washing it (spit up, pee.. ect) and now I can colour co-ordinate

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#70 of 87 Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
I just scored a like new KKAFP (khaki colour) for 18.00 PPD from TheBabyWearer! I'm so stoked. I have one (in olive green) but its getting pretty worn and I think having 2 will be great.. I always missed mine when I was washing it (spit up, pee.. ect) and now I can colour co-ordinate
Great deal! I so love TBW. Must. not. shop. yet.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#71 of 87 Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Updated my list with some things I've accumulated. I added up how much money I need for baby stuff and OMFG. I don't even need that much, but it's stuff like paying the mw, food to store in the freezer, random odds and ends...I have no idea where I'm going to pull this money from and I only have 4 months left. I shouldn't have paid off the credit card so that I could pay off some more pending things like baby stuff and mw costs.

#72 of 87 Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM

I got a free bassinet from freecycle today. Not sure if I will end up using it but it is pretty, solid wood bassinet that would fit easily in our room.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#73 of 87 Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwins View Post
I forgot about my never-ending cart at www.happygreenbee.com . I love the bright colors and that it's all organic. The clearance section is really inexpensive, which is were all of my future purchases are coming from!
thank you for this! i just ordered a bunch of shirts. so cute and only 4$ a piece!!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#74 of 87 Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM

and here is my list so far

new nursing bras
couple of nursing nighties
car seat
playpen-with bassinet
bouncer
cover for a boppy
swing
infant shirts (check! just ordered)
new birth ball
one of those sensor things that go under the mattress to let you know the baby is still breathing- because i am going to be neurotic this time..lol

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#75 of 87 Old 07-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-hippymom View Post
one of those sensor things that go under the mattress to let you know the baby is still breathing- because i am going to be neurotic this time..lol
oh ive never heard of this-what is it called? do you have any online links where I could see it?

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#76 of 87 Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM

this is the one i want
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2970307

#77 of 87 Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 PM

I'm starting from scratch this time and boy, how things have changed in the last 11 years! We just found out we are expecting another girl so now the shopping can begin.

This is what I'm wanting to get before the new babe arrives.

pack 'n play
swing or bouncy seat
cloth diapers (undecided if I want to use cloth, sposies, or a combo yet)
clothes (I have 3 gowns so far)
carseat/stroller combo
carrier of some sort (I used OTSBH with my 2 other children)
breast pump and a few bottles (used avent before)
baby monitor
boppy pillow
nursing bras
prefolds for burp cloths

This time around I'm having to tweak my parenting. My other children are older and I've now become the soccer mom driving my kids to and from their activities. Before I was able to just sit at home with baby and toddler/s, this time will not be that easy. On the other hand, I will have 3 kids in school so my days should be pretty quiet. Should be interesting!

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#78 of 87 Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM

what a fun thread wheeeeee!

this is baby #4, so we have lots of the big stuff already. BUT i did donate quite a few things after baby #3 as we weren't sure if we were having more babies, and, we were running out of room! so, a-shopping i have been...

we have:
-van
-bassinet
-bouncy chair
-crib
-playpen
-exersaucer (aka circle of neglect)
-jolly jumper
-play mat (tummy time etc)
-bumbo chair
-cuddly wrap
-mei tai (that i made myself after baby #2)
-2 other pouch slings
-plenty of clothes for both genders
-selection of toys
-receiving blankets/hooded towels etc
-baby monitor

i bought:
-new graco stroller (we currently have a double for #2 and #3 (they are 15 months apart - they don't need it anymore, i just find it easier to shop if they're contained ) i had already donated out single one - oops BUT, i got a super awesome deal at superstore (canadian grocery store with some housewares etc) it even came with an infant car seat (which we already had).

-new swing (donated the old one, and i find them a lifesaver for the first bit) you don't use it for long, but, oh man, did we love ours. i scored another sweet deal at superstore the same day as the stroller. i went in for bananas and came out with a stroller/car seat and a swing
-beco carrier (i think it's the butterfly 2) i really wanted a carrier that i felt utterly comfy using hands free while holding hands/chasing my 2 y.o. and 3 y.o. - i just didn't ever really trust the other kinds i had...i dunno. i hope this one will work out how i anticipate. i researched the ergo vs. beco and picked beco. time will tell!

-new BF pillow; my brest friend. again, donated the other one, and i hated the other one. it was a boppy style, but made by jolly jumper. (my BF woes will appear in another thread/forum). i really hope this one will deliver on the promise of less shoulder/back fatigue.

-big muslin receiving blankets that can swaddle

i want:
-"birthday" outfit

-fleece swaddling blanket (i live on the frozen prairies in an older drafty house)

-cloth diapers (currently researching types/styles etc) i had some before, but wasn't terribly successful with long term CD. i donated all that i had. so...

-a small chest freezer to fill with pre-made meals for the post-partum period (all we have is a fridge freezer, and it's quickly becoming inadequate for a family of 5 going on 6) my ILs said they will get us one, bless them

-few more teething toys that are safe (sophie the giraffe, wood rings, etc)

-BIG stash of herbal galatagogues, and domperidone, mother's milk tea, etc

-stainless steel bottles as the above might not do the trick, as with the other 3

i'm sure i've missed stuff on all of my lists, but that was fun to share

Crunchy Catholic Cancer Survivor
Married SAHM to DS (6) DD (4) DS (2) and DS born Nov 17, 2010
#79 of 87 Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 AM

Hello pomegranate, fellow Canuck and Catholic! Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm on the Wet Coast, in the Victoria area...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#80 of 87 Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Bumpin this up. Getting some baby clothes, moby, nursing pads, and a few dipes in a trade but had to take back some baby stuff for money.

#81 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Updated my list with some things I've accumulated. I added up how much money I need for baby stuff and OMFG. I don't even need that much, but it's stuff like paying the mw, food to store in the freezer, random odds and ends...I have no idea where I'm going to pull this money from and I only have 4 months left. I shouldn't have paid off the credit card so that I could pay off some more pending things like baby stuff and mw costs.
I know! I counted things up, the absolute necessaries (well, including things like new teethers since ours got ruined since last time) and midwife and diapers... and it added up to about 6K! Granted, the midwife is 4K, and diapers are pricey, but MAN. I was so excited when we got pregnant when I realized we needed almost nothing new. But just a new changing pad, new teethers, some new clothes, and then dipes ADD UP!

Here's what I'm doing: watching online coupons for really good deals for things I am going to buy anyway (not so much clothes b/c I think we have most of what we need and I figure some gifts and garage sales!) and then I'm going to take our big bag of change to a CoinStar where you don't pay a fee if you get your $$ in an Amazon gift cert. Amazon has almost everything we need! I figure we have a couple hundred dollars in change we've been waiting to turn in. It was going to be for like xmas presents and gifts but we never got around to it, so now it's for baby!

I'm going to start stalking diaperswappers for the dipes we need soon... and garage sales are GREAT for baby clothes-- last time I got a ton of stuff that had never been worn or even washed! for soooo cheap. Of course used is good too b/c then I don't worry about organic, it's all washed out by then
#82 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 AM

Whoa, do all CoinStars do that? Or just some? That would be awesome to get an Amazon GC and not pay a fee! I have a bag of coins in my desk from the last time we did a garage sale and haven't figured out what to do with it yet!

I'm hoping in the next two months I can start working on getting what we need for the birth and the baby. Right now, everything is tied up in the new house we're building. Assuming we get a good bid on our house for sale, though, we should be in good shape after this. DH gets a bonus in the Fall, so I'm hoping that will help with the midwife and baby stuff (like we MUST have a new carseat). I don't have many diapers left, either.

Being our fourth, we're also VERY unlikely to get gifts - especially the stuff we really need (even though I've done an Amazon wish list). My sister was super sweet and asked the other day, but there are very few people who would buy the things we need/want. Sigh. Oh, well. We'll be fine, I'm sure. But it would be SO nice to have some new things for this new little one!

It is kind of good to know that I can't even think about it *now* because then I'm not trying to shop with money I don't have. But I will be SO glad when I can sit down and budget for what we need!

#83 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
I'm going to take our big bag of change to a CoinStar where you don't pay a fee if you get your $$ in an Amazon gift cert. Amazon has almost everything we need! I figure we have a couple hundred dollars in change we've been waiting to turn in. It was going to be for like xmas presents and gifts but we never got around to it, so now it's for baby!
I love things like that I recently got sick of trying to sell my textbooks on craigslist and decided to try amazon buyback, and got nearly $300 in amazon gift credit. Now I can get homeschool stuff for DS, and presents for people, and possibly some of my wants for the baby. It's so nice having money to spend that can't easily be used for everyday stuff. Though that's assuming I can get DH to stop spending it for me...

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#84 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM

That's awesome about coinstar. I don't think we have one here, but I don't have change anyway. I put it all in the kids piggy banks. I've been trying to sell stuff online, but it seems everyone is on a tight budget and shipping is soooooo much higher than last time I sold stuff that I'm not making any money.

#85 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM

kittywitty, can you sell on craigslist? Or list items as "actual shipping?" I have a scale that has helped me a ton. I think I ordered it from Amazon and it goes up to 25 or 50lbs, so I can weigh just about anything, then plug it in to USPS or FedEx or wherever for an accurate estimate (I then ship from home, too).

I need to get a few things up on CL this week, too.

#86 of 87 Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM

I estimate shipping really low so that people will actually buy what I have. IME, people are more likely to buy if I just have a flat ppd price for something. I did list on craigslist but we live in a very rural area and I'm fairly certain almost nobody even uses it!

#87 of 87 Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 AM

I bought my first baby things ever! I bought a fitted sheet (for the free crib my mom has found us - which is actually quite pretty), a cute fleece sleeper, and a cute little onesie from the thrift store! Not every exciting, I know. But you have to start somewhere!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page