Weekly Chat Thread ~July7th-14th~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
MamaFern-I know that feeling! My 9 yo keeps insisting it's twins. Better not be! What paint did you use? I've been looking for a good buttery yellow.

The humidity here in the Midwest is killer, too. Makes you want to curl up in the freezer or go to a desert.

According to my scale, I gained 8 lbs in 3 days. Please, god, let it be wrong, though I feel humungous and already am having trouble seeing over my stomach which usually doesn't happen until after 8 months for me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#62 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
a mama in july just had surprise twins at home! it gives me the shivers.. i wonder if that will be me come november
Oh gosh, I went over to look, and started sobbing because everyone is having *babies*. I'm so totally hormonal.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#63 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
According to my scale, I gained 8 lbs in 3 days. Please, god, let it be wrong, though I feel humungous and already am having trouble seeing over my stomach which usually doesn't happen until after 8 months for me.

I've been trying to keep an eye on my weight gain... I started at 125, I'm at 140 right now. I'm really hoping to keep the gaining slow and stead this time. I gained 50-60 with my first 4 but I started off A LOT smaller than I did this time. To me my belly looks like it did at the very end with my first 3... I'm huge already. I'm waiting for the comments to start and people to start asking me if I'm due soon.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#64 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM

I took this just for you Nic

That's me, 21w4d. And yeah, I got asked when I was going to "pop" yesterday. Not for awhile! But yeah, I carry all out front. I've only gained 10 lbs so far, but damn, it's ALL belly.

Oh, and ignore the outfit, I was on my way to pilates :P

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#65 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
I took this just for you Nic

That's me, 21w4d. And yeah, I got asked when I was going to "pop" yesterday. Not for awhile! But yeah, I carry all out front. I've only gained 10 lbs so far, but damn, it's ALL belly.

Oh, and ignore the outfit, I was on my way to pilates :P
Aha! I love it!! You're so cute, Jennie. That's the girl in there... I swear, my boys I was all petite and little. My daughter.. here, this was me shortly before she was born.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=100_0459.jpg

No words can describe how big I really was with her. I weighed 100 pounds soaking wet before I conceived her. My body was not meant to spread like that, I think. lol This time I was still spread out from her... I wonder if I'm having another girl though.

I have mask of pregnancy (only had that with my daughter), I'm huge again.. I keep telling myself I like surprises (NOT!!)

#66 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM

We are painting our living room buttery/cream/yellow too! Maybe it is a pregnant thing to want that color....

I am feeling huge too, but I was huge with DS.... This is me a full MONTH before DS was born..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#67 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM

My kitchen is a buttery/creamy/yellow.

My living room I have a green (like a minty-ish green) paint... we'll get there eventually.

Catie, you are so cute You look radiant in that picture. (I look miserable in mine, lol)

#68 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
My daughter.. here, this was me shortly before she was born.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=100_0459.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
I am feeling huge too, but I was huge with DS.... This is me a full MONTH before DS was born..
Those are some HUGE (& beautiful!!) bellies!!!

And Catie, you look gorgeous in that dress!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#69 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Yes, some beautiful bellies! I am looking huge, and starting to feel huge already. My fundus is measuring right on at 24 cm but my belly is bigger for sure. I had measured my circumference when pregnant last time, and I am 3 inches bigger around now than I was at the same point last time, and have gained 10 fewer pounds so far. Gee, I guess I should have done my pilates, my abs are shot! I bought a cute denim maternity skirt that is now very snug. Hope the material has some more stretch to it!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#70 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Catie- you look GORGEOUS and that dress is absolutely stunning.
Nic- I am amazed by that picture. Seriously, it looks painful. I never got THAT big, but I definitely was big when I was pregnant with Wyatt too. Here's me at about 34 weeks. I think I'm actually measuring smaller with this baby girl, but it sure doesn't look it!

What's amazing to me is that all of us wonderful ladies have grown huge with pregnancy, and then shrunk back to normal! I still can't get over how big I got, and then how I went back to my prepregnancy size. It's just...truly fascinating what our bodies are capable of!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#71 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Yes, Jennie, her pregnancy was exceptionally painful... made me really nervous this time around. I hurt ALL over with her. I think the last 6 weeks there wasn't a comfortable position at all I could find. Really, really hoping to not repeat that!!!

#72 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks Mamas, you are too sweet. I think the radiance was probably the summer heat (end of July '08) and sweat dripping off of me. I don't remember the heat bothering me when I was pregnant with DS too much, but it is really getting to me this summer! I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when pg with DS, so maybe that's it... ? Or maybe i'm just getting old.

Liam was a 9 lb baby though, so that is probably why I was so huge.. I got tons of stretch marks all over my belly too... *sigh*

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#73 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 PM

All of mine were big babies, lol. Sage was my 9 pounder... though she really didn't look like a 9 pound baby.

#74 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Three of mine were 8+ lbs. I got fairly large with all of them, but carry really low and drop early. I think I felt the most huge with #4 but I gained the most with her-a TON of water retention!

With my son, I was bf and severely malnourished (long story) and my usual 5'5" self was down to 100 lbs at 5 months pregnant with him. I was 140 when I had him-a month early due to an induction with miscalculated due date.

This time I feel huge already and have some major leg flab more than anything. BOO!

#75 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM

I, too, have a buttery yellow kitchen but I have a brick red accent wall. I also have a green living room - but ours is a sage color. I'm envious, well, maybe, of those of you getting kicks near the ribs. Mine all seem to be centered on my bladder, especially if it is full.

Tonight marks the 17th night that I will have been away from my own bed. Can I tell you how much I am looking forward to being home tomorrow?
#76 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM

i really enjoyed reading about everyones bigness and checking out the pics just now. That one pic Nic...i just love it...the look on your face..and the size of your belly. Why exactly was your belly so big I wonder...

I also wonder why I puked just a bit ago. Its always like this for me in pregnancy-i rarely puke in the first tri, maybe once. But then I somehow manage to do it several times at total random later on, suddenly and violently. I really really dont fancy it.

I also feel quite big-not only I feel it, I know I am lol. I have gained 22 lbs so far and im 24 weeks (tomorrow). Everyone always comments on how I am "all belly" but those people don't know how small I am pre-preg so to them I look all belly. I, on the other hand, know that I have the most gigantic butt right now that I have pretty much ever had. Yep, bigger than ever.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#77 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM

You guys are making me feel better about my current shape. I haven't gained that much weight (maybe 10 lbs?) but my belly feels like it is sticking out further than last time. And it's also really LOW. I look fairly normal from the ribs up (ok, the boobs are bigger too) but then there's this big low pointy belly. I'm sure my abs are much more stretched out this time around.

We have been told this one is a boy, so maybe it's true about carrying low and boys?
#78 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
Thanks Mamas, you are too sweet. I think the radiance was probably the summer heat (end of July '08) and sweat dripping off of me. I don't remember the heat bothering me when I was pregnant with DS too much, but it is really getting to me this summer! I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when pg with DS, so maybe that's it... ? Or maybe i'm just getting old.

Liam was a 9 lb baby though, so that is probably why I was so huge.. I got tons of stretch marks all over my belly too... *sigh*
I could have written the same thing! Although last time with my son, I was mostly pregnant through the winter (he was born at the end of March). But man, this summer heat is KILLING me. I could stay cooped up in the AC 24/7 if it weren't for my son needing to get out. I'm about 10 lbs heavier than I was with my first as well, but I think it's more that I'm getting older and crankier

Wyatt was 8 lbs, so not that big, but I think he had tons of amniotic fluid in there to float around with. Honestly, I was OK with that, because I've heard from other moms that too little amniotic fluid makes movements really painful, and Wyatt was one active baby in utero! This babe hardly moves in comparison!

#79 of 120 Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM

My belly was so big because I had a lot of amniotic fluid! It wasn't polyhydramnios according to whatever those standards are but when they broke my water (which required two doctors and one nurse to do) I flooded the bed out twice and I finally looked like a normal pregnant person. That had never happened to me before... there was a lot of fluid in there.

I think I've gained 15 pounds so far... but I'm coming up on that period where I put on like 10 pounds in a month, soon... I can't believe I weighed what I do now when I gave birth to #2.

#80 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ILoveMySofie, I can totally commiserate on puking in the 2nd tri. I've been doing really well lately, but was really sick last night - in a hotel, while my 2yo was on the potty. So much for that chicken fried steak I'd been craving. Sigh. I'm hoping it continues to dwindle for all of us!

Love all the pics.

I think I might finally have gained a little bit. I felt badly last time my MW came because (while it's totally normal for me), I hadn't gained anything AND I was spilling ketones (though I didn't realize I was hungry until she mentioned it). So I've been working at eating more often and being conscious of it, and almost feel like I should be proud of gaining a pound. Really, I'm quite happy with my body's normal track of gaining pretty much nothing, maybe making it back to pre-pg weight in the 3rd tri, and being 30-40lbs lighter after the birth. It's a long time to wait, but a pretty effective "diet" all in all. (And, no, it's not intentional - I just have plenty to lose!)

Did I mention kicks up high? I can't remember what I have said or not anymore. I can't tell exactly where I'm measuring, but I'm definitely getting kicks MUCH higher, just in the last week. It's crazy! I'm not used to their being a baby in my upper abdomen. Loving all the movement, though. Well, except this morning when my kids woke up SUPER early in a hotel and insisted on trying to wake me up. Then the baby woke up, too, and I was being poked, prodded, kicked, and harassed both inside and out!

Speaking of which, must finish my dinner leftovers and get to bed "early." Soooo tired. But we had a pretty decent overnight trip (MIL along), and had fun making an unplanned stop to pick blueberries on the way home. We probably got 6lbs with an abundant crop, even though the season should be over now! It was awesome. My 2yo picked a ton - and had NONE in his bucket. Thank goodness this is an "eat as you go" farm. Must start baking tomorrow!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#81 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I carry low & drop early too - at least with boys. The last one was zero station for a full month - that was comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
This time I feel huge already and have some major leg flab more than anything. BOO!
Me too! I've never had leg flab! Or cottage cheese thighs! But I have some dimples.

I stepped on the scale last night - 137 lbs - up from 122, so that's 15 lbs at 21 weeks. I measured a little bigger than my dates on Wednesday, but only by like a week - and my last baby (boy) was 8 lbs, 4oz & 22" long - a looong dude.

I didn't sleep well last night. At first I did, went to bed at 9pm, had some sex, went to sleep then woke up at 3am with the baby having a party & feeling like I was going to wake up sick in the AM if I didn't eat something. So I got up & made fried eggs & potatoes with lotsa sour cream & a tall glass of milk. Then I still had a little trouble falling back to sleep, but at least my belly felt full.
And so it begins....I woke up at 3am every day last pregnancy to have an apple with peanut butter. I'm so not ready to give up my sleep.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#82 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

i woke up a few nights in a row to eat an apple..i think i have had 3 good nights sleeps since.. but yesterday i felt like i was seriously stretching out. like ligament pain all down the right side of my belly.. it was weird. i think baby had a growth spurt! my fundus is now just an inch under my ribs, and i have a long torso.. i still feel the majority of movement lowish and at my bellybutton, but i have started to feel it up higher as well.. oh and dp finally felt a good kick last night! he keeps trying and baby gets so quiet but last night when i was trying to get DD to sleep baby was really moving a LOT. so i called him in and in about a minute he felt it. im glad. he said he was starting to disbelieve me that i actually had a baby in there

its Saturday, market day.. swimming in the lake day. i got my kids (biggest ones) wet suits yesterday because on Monday they start swimming lessons in the lake and neither will go in its still so cold.. but wow, what a difference.. my 4 yo dd was right in the water having so much fun yesterday. i want my 7YO to try his out today. i think he will love it!
he is such a fish in warm water but in cold water he just cant handle it.

i made my sil a cocnut cream pie yesterday so i will be taking that over to them (all organic ingredients. yum!) as well. maybe ill get a peek of that wee baby again. im not ready for mine at all yet, but its sure sweet to see someone so new to the world.

this weekend is a big festival just down the lake, but we decided that we should stay home, continue on our house stuff (its getting there!) and enjoy our quiet town (it gets pretty busy in summer).. so that's what we are doing.

now.. whats for breakfast!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#83 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I carry low & drop early too - at least with boys. The last one was zero station for a full month - that was comfortable.

Me too! I've never had leg flab! Or cottage cheese thighs! But I have some dimples.

I stepped on the scale last night - 137 lbs - up from 122, so that's 15 lbs at 21 weeks. I measured a little bigger than my dates on Wednesday, but only by like a week - and my last baby (boy) was 8 lbs, 4oz & 22" long - a looong dude.

I didn't sleep well last night. At first I did, went to bed at 9pm, had some sex, went to sleep then woke up at 3am with the baby having a party & feeling like I was going to wake up sick in the AM if I didn't eat something. So I got up & made fried eggs & potatoes with lotsa sour cream & a tall glass of milk. Then I still had a little trouble falling back to sleep, but at least my belly felt full.
And so it begins....I woke up at 3am every day last pregnancy to have an apple with peanut butter. I'm so not ready to give up my sleep.
My last was the same height/weight. I also have been getting the middle of the night munchies. Except last night. I stuffed myself to where I thought I might puke before bed. Such a bad idea.

#84 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 PM

peaceful mama- Awesome shopping! I am amazed you found all those deals.

Stitches- We've had our cats leave poo streaks on the floor from rubbing there bottoms on it. They had worms (I forget right now which type) but we treated them twice for it once and then three weeks later to kill the worms at all stages of their life cycle. On our long haired cat we also trimmed the fur around his bottom, because he would get poo stuck to his hair.

MamaFern- The first time we were away from my son he was almost three. We went to a wedding in Michigan and he stayed in NJ with my parents for 3 nights. He was fine, didn't cry or really miss us and my parents were fine too. I would hesitate for since your mom is so far away and it is for so long. Can she come stay with you for a few days and then take the older kids for a few days? My In-laws want to take our son to Disney in April when he will be four, it is not happening. See if there is some middle choice.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#85 of 120 Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM

We finally had a nice weather night tonight! The temp was in the 80's and not as humid as it has been.. we went out for dinner and ate outside, then came home and played football in the front yard.. Well Aaron and Liam played football and I watched. It was a perfect summer night.

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend!!

#86 of 120 Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 AM

I'm 24 weeks today! How did that happen? Only 16 weeks until my official due date!

So tired today, it was lovely out but I felt like a slug all day. Tomorrow we are trekking down to IKEA. Nothing says exciting like going to buy some utilitarian shelving for our storage room. But at least there is $1 breakfast to look forward too.

Happily my cat is feeling much better, and not a poo stain in sight. Thank goodness. Poor thing got her butt shaved at the vet...looks like a kitty Brazilian, lol. I do have to make sure we keep her a little better groomed down there, she was pretty miserable.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#87 of 120 Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 AM

We went to babies r us today to price out car seats and strollers. I'll admit, it was a bit of a nightmare. We don't really know what we want (newborn - 35 lbs baby carrier vs three-in-one??) and then the strollers were just the icing on the cake.

I think I finally convinced dp that we should wait to get a stroller. I told him I am set on using a wrap or sling and that we might as well wait to get a stroller so that *if* we decide we need one, we'll have a better idea of what we want... I do know that those graco (and similar) baby transport systems are like the hummers of the stroller world! Sheesh! The more I look at strollers the more I want a wrap.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#88 of 120 Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Reading the babywearing thread got me futzing around with our registry. I don't know why. I'm probably never actually going to give the registry address to anyone, and I doubt anyone will buy anything on there if I do. But it's totally fun and addicting.

Edit: Hmm, I think I'm nesting. We're moving between now and the birth, so I can't really nest. Most of our stuff has already been moved, so I can't go through it, which is what I really want to do. This is total displacement

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#89 of 120 Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrenSquare View Post
We went to babies r us today to price out car seats and strollers. I'll admit, it was a bit of a nightmare. We don't really know what we want (newborn - 35 lbs baby carrier vs three-in-one??) and then the strollers were just the icing on the cake.

I think I finally convinced dp that we should wait to get a stroller. I told him I am set on using a wrap or sling and that we might as well wait to get a stroller so that *if* we decide we need one, we'll have a better idea of what we want... I do know that those graco (and similar) baby transport systems are like the hummers of the stroller world! Sheesh! The more I look at strollers the more I want a wrap.
I do NOT advise the 3-in-1 type seats. They don't make good boosters, and they don't have very high weight limits either rear-facing or forward-facing. It's totally personal preference on infant seat versus convertible seat. With either one, look for the highest rear-facing weight limit. It's 500% safer to be rear-facing than forward-facing, so keeping your child that way as long as possible is absolutely worth it. The two most recommended infant seats by car seat techs (I'm a former tech but rely on the current techs for up-to-date info!) are the Graco SnugRide 32 or 35 (going to 32lbs or 35lbs, respectively) or the Chicco KeyFit 30 (going to 30lbs). They're both easy to use, fit most babies well (the Chicco is apparently a really good fit for little babies), and are a good fit in many cars. The BEST thing to do is try them (and whatever else you're interested) in your car FIRST. Even Babies'R'Us may let you take them out to try. You need to install as directed in the manual and achieve a fit with less than 1" of movement at the belt path. Whatever seat gets that best for you is a good option. Not all seats work in all cars, so try it sooner than later.

There are lots of good convertibles, and more on the market all the time. The highest RFing weight limit convertible right now is the Sunshine Kids Radian. Two of the models go up to 45lbs RFing! My 5yo could almost still be fitting. The Radian can be a trickier install, though, so definitely try it out AND get a certified tech to check it out for you and/or teach you how to do it. There are lots of other good options for little people, though, so check out the Family Safety forum here or car-seat.org for expert opinions.

And I think you're quite right to wait on the stroller. Carseats can't wait, but strollers can. And if you decide you need one, you can likely walk right into the store and go home with the one you want.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#90 of 120 Old 07-18-2010, 03:31 AM

THANK YOU! This lady at the store walked right up to dp and I as we struggled with an infant seat and started telling us about the 3-in-1s and talked for over half on hour about how great they were! We were trying to be polite, and not knowing much, trying to absorb as much as possible... but when she started telling us that she owns over 4 different strollers we started to tune out, hahah. The 3in1 type seats just didn't sit right with me, and I know it is "rear for a year" or longer, I definitely told dp that if we are buying an infant seat, we are going for a 30 lbs - 35lbs version for sure and he agreed.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page