Weekly Chat Thread ~July7th-14th~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello summer!
I'm not sure about you mamas, but summer has been slooooow in coming here this year.. we have a had a few warm days, but it has been equally rainy and chilly.. but it looks like summer may have finally found us in the mountains of BC yesterday was beautifully warm and the next week is supposed to be the same. my little's and I spent the afternoon with some friends on the beach and came home all glowey and filled with Vit. D.. I took my thermos filled with nettle, Red raspberry leaf & alfalfa tea with me and today I feel so much better than I have in months.. I think I have been depleted and though I have been taking my vitamins lately they dont seem to do the same for me as a good pregnancy tea. Im drinking more already today and plan to continue for the rest of my pregnancy. Im not sure why it took me so long to start
so if you are feeling exhausted, try some nettle/RRL tea!!

I do have some house stuff today but I plan to escape to the beach again later. its too good to pass up!

dp is plumbing in our new sink in the kitchen and I stained our counter-tops yesterday so our kitchen is almost done!

Happy july everyone!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#2 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I had the worst day ever yesterday. Sunburn, flat tire, whiny, cranky toddler, 95 degree heat and the power went off from 9:30-11:30pm on our entire street, causing everyone to go outside and run up and down the street screeching, while we were stuck inside with no a/c, unable to leave the bedroom (our 15 month old was sleeping and the monitor didn't have power) and unable to open the windows due to the extreme amount of noise. I didn't get to sleep until 1am (usually I'm passed out by 10pm).

Luckily, my awesome husband woke up with my son at 7:30 this morning, allowing me to sleep until 9:15am I swear I haven't slept in that late since Wyatt was born! And the a/c is blasting, so the bedrooms are a comfortable 75ish while my son is napping and I'm vegging. At least today is shaping up to be better then yesterday!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#3 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Summer has been here for a looong time. Not happy looking at my a/c bill, either. Sigh. Will be SO glad to move to a new, energy efficient home!

A friend is coming over to help us with some packing today. Getting ready (finally) for pictures and finally, really showing our house. It's good and terrifying all at once.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM

We're on the 3rd and hopefully last day of a heat wave here in the Northeast. It was up near 100 for the past 2 days and we have no AC at home. Since my kids and dh were still out of town, I just stayed at work as much as possible. Today they're all back and jetlagged so we're trying to veg out at home and stay cool. This heat is unusual for our area... they say the temps haven't reached this high for the past 8 summers.
#5 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 PM

It is just plain hot here. I stayed home today to sleep in the air conditioning instead of going to the beach with some friends. It is too hot, there is a heat advisory and warnings of heat stroke. We have two window ac units that are attempting to cool our house, it works enough to make it more comfortable. I was actually looking forward to going to work because they keep the ac at like 70.

I should find out on Tuesday if we are having a boy or a girl. We already have one boy and I am starting to lean to wanting another boy. I guess I am just familiar with having a boy and have all boy stuff. Also everyone seems to want me to have a girl and I am worried they'll put strange expectations on girls. But really either way I just want a baby!

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#6 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM

It has been SO crazy hot here...we've basically been stuck inside most of the day. My girlfriend and I are hitting the beach tomorrow with our 4 boys (the oldest two are 3.75, the youngest two are almost 2)! I'm hoping that we can basically just park our beach chairs in the water and let them run around all day!

We've been so busy the last few weeks---out of town 11 of the last 15 days, which makes for lots of laundry and kids on no semblance of a schedule. Add to that we have guests staying the next two weekends and I'm almost wishing summer was over already! I shouldn't complain, it's been lots of fun, and will only get more so, right?

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#7 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 PM

We're vacationing on the east coast and it has been SO hot. Looking forward to going to NYC tomorrow to see my brother-in-law. He has a tiny one bedroom apartment, but has 2 window units! He doesn't pay for utilities either, so I don't worry about cranking that thing up. This vacation has been weird to say the least. In fact, dh and I have talked that maybe we don't want to take a vacation next year because this one has been so wacky.

Anybody else dealing with swelling? In this heat and since we're traveling, I haven't been able to do much to keep my feet up - and I can tell. I'm lucky that I brought my big shoes with me. I don't know what else to do other than stay super hydrated.
#8 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM

We are on day 1 (or day 2, depending on how you count it) of a heat wave here. It was mid-80s yesterday, low 90s today, upper 90s tomorrow. Temps aren't really supposed to cool too much until Wed. It's such a contrast to the cold camping trip we just took! And wouldn't you know it, the weather is PERFECT at that campground right now

DH worked hard today installing the window a/c, putting up solar shades and insulated curtains. Then he went to get a massage, so I don't feel too badly for him! And I'm sitting in the air conditioned shop right now. Ahhhhhh....

Had another midwife appt. today, and she reiterated that the ultrasound showed a healthy little girl. No problems seen whatsoever. Unless you count the darn placenta previa. MW is confident it will move, though.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#9 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM

I'm sorry everyone's so miserable in the heat. I'm a total freeze baby and am loving it. Not really a fan of the a/c, but we run it for my husband's sake. I go sit on the back deck when I get too chilled in the house so I can get nice and toasty again.

I had a mw appt yesterday and was pleased and shocked to discover that I'd gained 5 lbs in 5 weeks! With my other two pregnancies, I barely made it to gaining 20 lbs by the time I delivered, so I'm guessing that this one will be different. I think the Unisom is really helping me feel well and enabling me to eat like a normal person! I discovered that I have rectus diastasus (sp?), so that stinks, but everything else seems to be perfect, so I can't complain. My fundus is right above my umbilicus and I'm 21 weeks.

I'm feeling lots of movement, but because of my anterior placenta, it's more vague, like heavy twinges (if that makes sense) vs distinct kicks or punches, unless they're really high or down low. I almost think that I can feel things more distinctly from the outside than I can from the inside. That being said, it's still disruptive enough that when I lie down to go to sleep at night, I need to wait for her to "get settled" before I can fall asleep. I love to think of my little girl in there getting comfy!

Hope everyone has a nice week and is able to stay cool!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#10 of 120 Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM

Wah! I have the worst acid stomach going on right now... I'm afraid of another repeat of last night. I woke up at 3:30am to vomit stomach acid. Blech!!

We've spent the last two days at the beach.. it's been great! Summer is in full force here and it's nice. I'm a baby when it come to the cold as well (not sure why I live in Northern Illinois where we are cold 9mos out of the year ) so I'm really enjoying having a REAL summer this year. It's been about 5 years since we've really had a decent summer.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#11 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM

The kids and I are up at my parents' house for 2 weeks while my dh puts down flooring in our upstairs, and the weather has been GLORIOUS! I had to stop and buy a super cheap $6 tank top (non-maternity) because all my tshirts are too hot. Luckily, the xl size was long enough to cover my ugly maternity panel on my skirt (I have no shorts, and my capris are too hot!). I might invest in a couple more. The older 2 kids are camping with my mom at the beach in my parents' RV while dd2 and I hang out at the house overnight. Here's hoping she sleeps!

Loving the heat - as long as I stay out of the sun so I don't burn. (I'm pretty fair skinned)

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#12 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 AM

DD splashing in the kiddy pool, me sitting with my feet in it. Brilliance!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#13 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 AM

I'm so happy to have REAL summer this year....last year it seemed like it barely got hot.

I posted on last week's thread (whoops!) about today's little adventure. We started driving down the interstate to go to the store, and when I got up to speed.....the hood flew open and smashed my windshield!!!!!!
We are fine. I was able to pull off on an exit since it happened right by one. The van, however, is undriveable at the moment, the windshield did not totally cave in but it looks like it could anytime. I also no longer have a grill and there's a dent on the hood.
But WE are fine.
Insurance guy comes tomorrow.

what stinks is we had to miss DS's school picnic thing tonight because DH works out of town and took the only other insured, working vehicle. (he works about an hour away and gets off at the earliest midnight so *no way*--also does not work with other people from here.)

at least it wasn't 90 plus degrees today since we couldn't go to the pool. We live too far to walk to anything. :P

In better news, DD now rides a bike with NO TRAINING WHEELS! The sad part---once she made this discovery on the neighbor kid's bike, I discovered I couldn't turn the stupid nuts holding her training wheels to her bike. So...until one of us reminds DH tomorrow, she is (unhappily) stuck riding the bike with training wheels. She is 3.5 this month.

And DS2 can JUMP! He finally figured this out this afternoon after several butt-wiggling attempts in recent days with no air. He also looks to see if you're clapping

So yay for motor skills I guess.

Not to be left out, the bellybean is kicking a lot more. We find out if the kids and my dreams are right and it is a girl on Tuesday.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#14 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 AM

peaceful_mama, how scary! Glad you are all ok! Hooray for all the developments! It's amazing to see them make these big leaps.

Sounds like there are lots enjoying summer! Yay!

I feel like I can't enjoy summer at all right now. Not that we tend to do much, anyway, but we still have a lot going on and a lot of stress AND a lot of uncertainty. I don't feel like I can decide to go down to the beach (which is not getting tarballs from the Gulf oil spill ) on a whim, and we have no yard for a kiddie pool, and our real pool (we have a small, "lap" pool) desperately needs a new Polaris (which we've been promised but don't have yet) to clean the bottom before there's any chance I'll take the kids in. I am hopeful that we can find ways to relax and enjoy our time. My MIL comes in on Saturday which may or may not be helpful!

Back in May, I had a tooth that got really painful and I finally found a dentist to see about it. It got better without treatment, though, and so I've put off having a root canal or anything else done. But, it was showing signs of infection so I talked to my MW and started taking the penicillin the dentist gave me (to take before/after the surgery). I'm amazed how fast it's worked! I know abx start quite quickly, but it's awfully nice to see it when you need it. Crazy thing, though, is my ear is hurting MORE since starting the abx. I am hoping the abx will also help this occasionally-flaring ear pain and eustachian tube problems (that I can't take the steroids they recommend for it, for obvious reasons), but, um, why is it worse right now? Really, really hoping I feel overall much better soon.

Anyone else taking Floradix? I just started a new bottle, and got the NOT yeast-free one. I think it tastes a lot better! I tried some in the store and it was not a bad flavor, then the bottle I got was worse. I'm wondering if the sample was the kind I have now? Anyone tried both?

Oh, and just a PSA... I always recommend watermelon as a good labor food. But, don't be surprised if you throw up in transition after eating it... You're NOT bleeding internally. The watermelon just goes from pink to RED mid-digestion. Yeah, lovely, eh? I never do get sick in labor, but not so in pregnancy.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Oh, and just a PSA... I always recommend watermelon as a good labor food. But, don't be surprised if you throw up in transition after eating it... You're NOT bleeding internally. The watermelon just goes from pink to RED mid-digestion. Yeah, lovely, eh? I never do get sick in labor, but not so in pregnancy.
Likewise, if you feed it to an (older) baby, don't be shocked when you next change their diaper

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#16 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Heather- and about the Watermelon! I think we'll be out of watermelon season by the time we go into labor. But yeah, that would be freaky!

Peaceful_Mama-you can count me out of enjoying summer! This year here it has been severely different. Drier, hotter, spring a month early. It's pure insanity. I hate heat anyway, so this doesn't help! Last year we had severe flooding.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#17 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

yikes..watermelon puke. no thanks.. i dont think i ate at all in any of my labours..at least not after things started to pick up..i recall even the day before going into labour that i didn't really want to eat much aty all..with my sons birth I did throw up but it was the tinctures that my midwife gave me to lower my BP that made me puke and it helped too! apparently throwing up helps lower bp, nasty side affect.. didn't throw up with either of my girls..

we have another busy day today.. Fridays all summer are reading club days at the library and since my kids are 2 age groups we will be down there all morning. im leaving my LO with papa and going to the thrift shop and maybe for a swim at the beach.. all of the possibilities! I also plan to find some books to read.. its been a while any recommendations?

totally gave myself a sunbiurn yesterday lounging in the sun..but i think mostly it happened doing laundry..my washer is outside on the sunniest side of the house and i was hanging it all up with my back facing the sun.. we have piles to catch up with since i didnt really wash anything for a month but im glad its summer because my kids will live naked or in swim suits for a few months.. im putting all clothes away, or most of them..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM

I puked up cola when I was in labour. I had ketones in my urine so my midwife suggested cola (who knew) and soon after I threw up. It was still fizzing...note to self next time let it go flat first. However, it was without a doubt the most pleasant vomiting experience I have ever had

Peaceful mama-sorry about the windshield! That must have been scary. My 2 year old just learned to really jump too. She just finished gymnastics lessons and could never quite get the hang of it...she would flap her 'wings' and stick out her bum and rhythmically bounce. It was hilarious. Just this week though she can jump up and catch air. She's understandably quite proud of herself.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#19 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 PM

My DS ate FIVE huge pieces of watermelon a few weeks ago... no puking, but lets just say that his diaper did NOT hold the explosion.. we now have red stains on our living room carpet!

It has been HOT here too.. in the 100's almost everyday. The "nice" days it is only in the 90's. I'm so over the summer this year! It started early too, beginning of March it started getting warm! I'm in VA, so we usually have somewhat mildish, though humid, summers.

We've been working on a lot of house projects. Stuff that should have been done years ago.... We have a smallish house (1200 sq ft or so) but there was so much space not being used. A whole room that we just put junk in, the master bathroom not being used, etc. So our goal for the next 4 months is to make the entire house usable space. And to ORGANIZE and declutter. We are turning our "junk room" into a playroom for the boys. It will be so nice to have all the toys in one space, rather than all over the living room! DH had a lot of wallpaper removal to do in there from the previous owners. He got the paint up last night, all we have left is the trim and then moving everything in there. I'm so excited! Next project is the master bathroom. it is tiny, the sink/faucet don't work, we don't use the shower.... So DH is going to get a faucet from work (for free!) and put an exhaust fan in there and some shelves for all my junk.... It will be so nice to have 2 usable bathrooms, as the hall bathroom is so crouded feeling with all of our stuff plus DS's toys.... I'm going to be doing a few paintings to hang up in the living room.. Really excited about that! Then there's taking down wallpaper in the hall bathroom, painting that, reorganizing the kitchen cabinets, getting a new kitchen table, putting new carpet down in the bedrooms, having the carpet in the living room cleaned, and painting the outside of the house. I will just be soooo glad when it is all done, and I can just focus on keeping the house clean until the baby comes. Phew.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#20 of 120 Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Had to go to the ER to get abx for this UTI. Stupid healthcare system in this state. Baby's heartbeat was about 162 they think-the doppler was malfunctioning.

What a long day. I'm beat! And spent too much time being way bored and thinking about all the things I still need to do before baby gets here and trying to remember all the things I'm SUPPOSED to be doing but can't remember. Geez.

#21 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
I puked up cola when I was in labour. I had ketones in my urine so my midwife suggested cola (who knew) and soon after I threw up. It was still fizzing...note to self next time let it go flat first. However, it was without a doubt the most pleasant vomiting experience I have ever had
The grape popsicle I threw up during my first labor was the most pleasant vomiting experience I've had! I was so glad that I'd eaten the popsicle and hadn't had an empty stomach.

#22 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 AM

Catie, wish I'd thought about potential poo issues before letting DS3 eat a ton of watermelon. I was awakened from a much needed nap by the smell of poo... but DS was sitting quietly with me... Of course, he's been pretty much completely potty trained, so he was naked. NOT a fun way to wake up.

kittywitty, so sorry you ended up in the ER! I hope the abx will help tho. I don't even want to think about what all I need to do before baby comes... 'cause what I'm not getting to already is overwhelming!

at the "pleasant" throwing up. I've had a few times where I was really glad I'd eaten whatever I ate. Not most of the time, but some. A grape popsicle sounds yuuuumm...

A friend came over today to help out. I thought she'd just put some things in boxes for us, but she had it in mind to stage the house. The rooms that are done look fabulous! DS1 keeps saying it looks like a model. So DH has to finish taking pictures of everything tomorrow so we can get them to the realtor. Of course, DS messing up the bedding delayed that part a bit. But with MIL coming in tomorrow, it's definitely not bad to have (at least some) things looking tip-top. Now if I could just get the kids to actually help with cleaning out the car. Sigh. We have to rearrange their seats so we have room for MIL.

Totally exhausted now from the long day (and lack of proper nap!).

#23 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM

Waking up to naked watermelon poo might just be the worst thought I've ever had! Our nearly 2yo is a huge fan of watermelon. He's also really into sticking his hand in his diaper. I had an incident last week where I thought, "How did he get more watermelon, we at that this morning!" Blech.

I always tell my couples in class that eating in labor is very very important, but make sure it's something you don't mind seeing later. I ate a pepperoni pizza a few hours after my water broke with our oldest. Round 2 of pepperoni wasn't exactly awesome....

We have really good friends in town visiting. Stayed up really late hanging out and chatting, but of course I woke up at 6 anyway. Boo to that!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#24 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM

We're going to the Ren Faire today!! It's opening day! I"m really excited.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#25 of 120 Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM

DH is all gung-ho to be ready for baby by the end of summer. I don't think it's a bad idea, necessarily, but he's wearing me out with all his projects!

Thursday, while DS was at preschool, he brought boxes and boxes of baby clothes from the attic. Then he rearranged our bedroom (to see if we have room for a co-sleeper and a dresser/changing table) while I sorted out the gender neutral clothes from those that scream BOY! We're having a garage sale in a couple of weeks, so there is lots of sorting and purging in my future.

It doesn't help that it's been hot here this week. I went from sleeping in wool socks, wool hat, etc. (while camping last weekend), to sleeping in a skimpy tank with the a/c blowing right on me. Those fast temp changes are hard on a body! Thank goodness temps are dropping to a more normal 85 today.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#26 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 AM

to top off my week....I have a nasty cold. It's SUMMER. ugh. Makes no sense.
Can't breathe through my nose most of the time. Voice is better today than it's been for the last few....throat doing better too.

But the breathing thing is SO EXTREMELY ANNOYING....

In better news...I guess yay to not having a car and leaving the neighborhood today....we hit a rummage and...

DD scored her *entire fall wardrobe* (with the exception of maybe needing a couple shirts, we'll see) INCLUDING shoes AND snowboots (I am not joking here, 3 Nike jogging-type outfits, several pairs of jeans, 2 shirts...)

All THREE kids scored winter coats and fall jackets, DS2 even scored TWO winter coats. (one that will probably fit this year, one for next...it was *that* good a deal and a good neighbor)

AND DS1 scored a pair of Converse shoes he liked, a couple Spongebob shirts to play in, and a Batman hat.

AND they each got a toy, plus DS1 got an extra--a little handheld racing game.

For.....15.50!!!!!!!
And most of this stuff was practically new condition.

I also scored a bag of many (I guess I didn't count, it was fill-the-grocery-bag) maternity shirts at a consignment store for $15! PLUS an Anita nursing bra (new) in my size (unheard of for my size to be IN A STORE) for....8 bucks!!!!! Considering I am used to paying around $50 online PER BRA, I am major bummed that there was only *one* in a size that worked for me.....

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#27 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 AM

Those deals are amazing! Wow!! Congrats on all the great stuff!

Anyone dealing with carpal tunnel? I have never had it in pregnancy and am not sure when it generally starts if it is pregnancy-related. It may just be from playing too much solitaire on my iPhone. But it HURTS! I thought maybe I just did too much yesterday with scrubbing floors, dinner, etc. But today I could barely cut a piece of meat or hold a cup.

So my MIL is here. Not a word yet about the pregnancy even though I was talking to one of the kids about it at dinner. Not a word about me looking pg or looking good or whatever (tho I don't get that kind of comment from her probably ever). But the evening went fine, so hopefully the next 9 days will, too... She's offered to help us pack up and get things ready to sell the house, which is nice. It's always stressful to have her here, but I'm hoping for the best!

I can't wait to be able to really start nesting and buying baby things and planning everything! I know I'm in the time for it, but with everything up in the air right now, there's no way it's going to happen. Here's hoping we get things settled very soon so we know what we're doing and can plan! 'Cause playing with baby clothes is soooo much fun!

#28 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 AM

Amazing deals! My sister just gave me 2 HUGE garbage bags full of clothes to sort through - most of it is not up my alley (we have enough, or it's stained, or....), but there were some really cute dresses.

Heather, I hope the packing up process is pretty painless....moving and everything surrounding it is so hard - I can't imagine doing it while pregnant!

It is really hot here, too. Off to Google Celsius/Fahrenheit conversion...it was 35 Celsius here yesterday, which is 95 F. I had to go to the local dept store and buy a couple of xl tank tops because I was too hot in short sleeves. Luckily, they fit in the belly, and will do for the next month or so, which is usually all the super hot weather we get. I don't know how some of you do it who get 110 degrees...do you just stay indoors all day?

Dh is about 1/2 done the floor upstairs at our house. He surprised me yesterday (my birthday) by renting a convertible, driving up to see us (we're at my parents' house, about 3 hours away), and taking me out for lunch at one of our fave places, a pub in the country with an outdoor patio overlooking the most gorgeous garden. I haven't been there since before our oldest was born. It was such a nice thing to do - I felt so loved.

So the strawberry pie I was GOING to make for my birthday yesterday (before I got surprised by dh) was made today, and it was delicious!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#29 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Wow Peaceful_Mama! Great deal!

sorry about the MIL situation, Heather.

#30 of 120 Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM

We have a 100 gallon stock tank in our yard that serves as a wading pool for the kids (and may perhaps end up being a birth tub). Being black, it naturally retains heat very well. I went in it yesterday evening and it was so nice, but then the kids piled in with me. It's big enough for two kids or one adult (or, I suppose, two adults who want to be really close!) but not really both.

I went through my nightly insomnia bout at 2:00am, and decided that what I really wanted was to go sit in the pool all alone. Unfortunately, DH had partially refilled it with cold water last night after we got out, so it wasn't warm anymore, and not something I wanted to go sitting in since the air temperature had dropped down into the 60s.

I think I'm going to have to try that again, though. The idea of being in the water, all alone, in the dark, is so nice! We're supposed to get near 100F again today, so it should warm up well.

I'm apparently at the "OMG why hasn't anyone who didn't already know said anything about the pregnancy yet; I must just look terribly fat OMGHORRORS!!!!!" stage. Part of me really likes the privacy, but the part that wants recognition is starting to win out.

An appropriate job opened up at the hospital nearest to where we're moving next month, and I've hesitantly applied for it. I'd rather not start a new, stressful job at this point, but we could use the money and insurance, and I don't know when another New Grad opening will come along. I have no clue how soon I'll be contacted about this - I have contacts at the hospital and have been told that I can pretty much expect to at least get an interview, but the last time they had one of these positions open, it was posted for months, and apparently they don't even look at the apps until they have a certain number, though maybe that will be different if they're looking for a specific one? So anyways, an interview could happen next week, or after the baby is born, or any time in between (or never!).

I think I'm going to be up front about the pregnancy, even though I could probably still hide it if an interview happened soon. Probably killing my chances as far as this particular job goes, but I'd rather start off on the right foot, as this is the only hospital that wouldn't require an hour commute and therefore I REALLY want to work there! If I did manage to get hired without them knowing, chances are I wouldn't even be able to get through the probationary period before the baby arrives, and I don't think I have any real legal job protection in that case. I'd rather they either go into it with full knowledge that I'll be taking medical leave soon, or view me as someone with integrity who is a good candidate for future openings.

Now I think I'll nap while DD is down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page