Mothering Forum banner

I am a very bad person

510 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  junipervt 
#1 ·
Waiting to find out this baby's gender is wearing me down. I feel like an impatient kid at a candy store. I NEED TO KNOW!

I found several places that do u/s for gender determination or whatnot that I know people say are terrible and I should not do (for u/s reasons). My mw does not do u/s and her backup doc does not take my insurance, so this would be the only affordable way to find out the gender and to put my mind at ease about twins.

However, I read this on all the sites for the ultrasound places:

"Women seeking an elective prenatal Ultrasound with (insert name) must already be receiving treatment with a healthcare provider for prenatal care and have already undergone a medical, diagnostic Ultrasound ordered by their provider to confirm their due date, screen for fetal anomalies, and to look for any other pregnancy related issues."

Has anyone had an u/s at one of these places and not had a diagnostic u/s first? I have no way to get one.

See less See more
#2 ·
you are not a bad person for being impatient! I have had two "entertainment" ultrasounds (one in previous pregnancy and one in this one) and it was an amazing experience.
Ive also paid attention that disclosure and wondered about it.. To me it seems like them covering their butts and not wanting to deal with any kind of "surprises"...I haven't really figured out any other reasons for it?

in any case they don't check if you have actually had an u/s before or not so you can put down whatever you want.

#3 ·
I don't think you're a bad person, either.
If my husband would agree to one we would be there so fast, it's not even remotely funny. I was jonesin' around the 18-20 week mark. I still would like to know but I've resigned myself to waiting until the end now. I'm UP'ing... so I'm really not sure how all that would work.

#4 ·
I am totally set on not finding out, yet I'm finding myself SO impatient to meet this baby that I almost want to!
The wait can seem interminable, but I'm trying to remind myself it's totally worth it in the end!

#5 ·
My sister had an elective u/s, before any diagnostic (we're talking EXTREMELY impatient) and all she had to do was sign that she was in compliance with their terms. I agree with ILoveMySophie, they just do it to cover themselves against lawsuits.

As for finding out, I thought for certain we were going to wait. I was conflicted all the way up to the point of the u/s tech telling us the gender. As soon as I was told the sex I was glad to know, and haven't regretted finding out. We don't do a nursery, my kids have a gn (honestly mostly girly) playroom and we have a ton of hand-me-downs that I would have used regardless of the baby's gender, but knowing makes me feel a bit more connected. BUT that's my experience and I know there are parents out there who wait and finding out the sex at birth seems magical to me as well. What I'm trying to say, in this long-winded post is that you know yourself better than anyone and you should do what will make you happiest. The baby is what s/he (or they!) is, and it will be a surprise if you find out now or in 4 months.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.