Mothering Forum banner

Lists!

7K views 143 replies 23 participants last post by  MamaFern 
#1 ·
I need a place to keep track of the things I want and the cost.... so I thought I'd start this thread. Please add your own!

See less See more
#102 ·
which brand was it, kittywitty? i'm looking for something but i do not want to spend a fortune, i think i'm going to need a longer/longish one because a lot of my separation is up top but i still want something to hold in down low as well.

farrensquare, look into charlie's soap. it's the best on cloth dipes.

#104 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
That is awesome! May I ask where you got the slipcovers? We have a Dutailier and it's getting a bit grimy-that microsuede never lasts long in my house.

THis is the binder I bought. The sizing seems weird and I had a hard time getting straight answers about it, but I ordered the small:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
The slipcovers are these:

http://www.nurturecenter.com/index.p..._detail&p=1492

(and they are sold only on one other site-but more $$ here:
http://www.luxebasics.com/)

I was quite
at the price. I looked into replacing cushions but thats just too $$ also and for the money Id rather be able to remove and wash. Slipcovers are next to impossible to find, and these look amazing.

Thing is this is a beautiful glider, the wood on it looks brand new and such a pretty clean white-but the cushions have really seen better days...my friend has a ton of animals and these cushions show it. I actually didnt even feel comfortable having a newborn around it to be honest. So I didnt have much choice if I wanted a glider...So funny, but both of my daughters are totally in love with it and fight over who gets to sit in it...

I will report on the glider slipcovers, hopefully they come today as I cant wait to rub myself on their scrumptiousness..lol.

Thanks so much for the binder review...i can see why you ordered it-it seems like it would be a good fit, and the price is good too...Im sorry it doesnt look like its going to work though! Its really hard with these things-to guess what will work..unless someone you know has used one...

#106 ·
I ordered 2 bravado tanks from diapers.com yesterday. If anyone likes those- they were only $29 ea. a shameless plug- but if you are a new customer you can save 15% using a referral code- if you pm me you can use mine.

#107 ·
Wow, those are pricey slipcovers! I think I'm going to get some minky and try to wing it for my glider. I was going to buy some for a blanket, anyway, so might as well!

I was going to order the Bravado tanks, but my size fluctuates so much those first couple postpartum months I'd about need one of everything!

Now who wants to motivate me to pull out my sewing machine and get working on these things? I have so much to do this week but feel like I MUST GET IT DONE NOW. Crazy hormones.

Fellow co-sleepers, which bed guards are you using? I have one from kid #4 in the attic but it's so hard and kinda icky and needs cleaned. I like this one, but it's so pricey. I also have baby in the middle of us sometimes instead of just on the outside (dh is a good co-sleeper). Does anyone have this and like it?

#108 ·
I'm planning to get the Tres Tria. I've looked at it in the past, stuck with a side-carred crib, and am now ready to make the switch. It won't leave gaps, can be used in multiple ways, and is organic. I'm hoping it's worth the investment!

#109 ·
Wow... I never thought of using a bed guard. With my daughter I told hubby that I wanted to put the mattress on the ground, we still had my (then) 5/6 year old in our bed and I didn't want either of them to roll far. I slept with my daughter on the couch for the first few months... I always felt like she was just too small those early days to sleep in our bed. I wonder if I'll feel the same this time... I told hubby that we need to get another mattress and move it next to our queen... that way there is plenty of room.

#110 ·
We have never used a "real" one - but I don't sleep well if there's any chance baby could fall. We've had various things up against the bed to prevent it, but at this point, we have nothing else we can use (other than the crib, which we're really tired of using and which doesn't fit as well with the bed we have now).

I always kick everyone out of the bed for a while (a few days) after baby comes so I can get used to waking up with the baby myself. I think with the Tres Tria I might be able to let the toddler back in sooner, because I can put it in the MIDDLE of the bed, so DS3 snuggles with DH and the baby's with me. At least in the early days, baby doesn't move much! I'm trying to prep the big boys for the idea that they cannot ALL be in bed with us at the same time. I'm going to put our crib mattress on the floor in our room so they can join us at that distance, if they feel like it. I'm hoping they'll be cooperative.
The other possibility is that DH would sleep with some number of them in what's now their playroom on the futon.

Somehow, it will all work!

#112 ·
Anyone want to help me make a decision?

Baby hammock (can't figure out a good place to hang this and can't afford the stand)
vs.
Baby swing
vs.
Moses basket (maybe with rocking holder)

Mostly for the kiddo to hang out in while I do school stuff with the kids or whatnot.

#113 ·
Quote:

Anyone want to help me make a decision?

Baby hammock (can't figure out a good place to hang this and can't afford the stand)
vs.
Baby swing
vs.
Moses basket (maybe with rocking holder)

Mostly for the kiddo to hang out in while I do school stuff with the kids or whatnot.
I personally vote for swing (and mind you, neither one of my dds was a heavy swing user but man was it great in those moments when they did sit in it), here are my reasons:

hammock-i think im more in love with the idea/look of it than what it would actually turn out to be. I think its an item the baby would grow bored with sooner. The good ones are very $$ and with not having an ideal place to hang it-I wouldnt go for it.

Moses basket-i think this can be handy but again would be outgrown pretty quickly, right? And although I adore the looks of them, the baby can pretty much only do one thing in there-lay down with no recline. I could see a baby getting bored with that one choice pretty darn fast.

Now for the swing-there is movement AND recline. You can choose both or just one. You can easily see the baby's face to see if baby looks happy/sleepy whatever (unlike in moses basket unless you are right next to it) And there are swings that are more portable, which is what I would go with, so that you can easily move it from room to room and even the bathroom. I think the options like hanging toys and rotating lights are really nice for later on. With little DD we went through a time when she would be super cranky in the evenings no matter what-we went and bought the fisher price swing that had these little stars above that would light up and reflect on the canopy-she would calm down and stare at them, and i would get 15 min of sanity and quiet. I really doubt she would have felt the same way in a moses basket, kwim?
Of course this is just my opinion, I know some mamas have great experiences with a hammock but I am just thinking from the perspective of- more economical and longer lasting item and more chances baby would like it...

#115 ·
We were gifted a swing last time, and we did love it! LOTS more use than my lovely old cradle my mom spiffed up for me, I'm afraid.

Updated my list! I've gotten SO much done, yay!

#116 ·
kitty, I'm glad you asked. I'm also very taken with the idea of a hammock but am afraid it may not be as practical as I'm hoping.
My boys have all really benefited from cradle swings so I'm looking at options for a new one (sold the last one). I just wish I liked the options better.

I think if I could actually see hammocks in person I'd have a much better idea of whether or not I'd - err, baby would - like it.

#118 ·
Ok, got the bra to labor/birth in, dresser and storage systems, sofa bed thing, milkies storage system, mimjumi bottles, glamourmama nursing tank (well, the last two things I'm waiting for, but have been ordered), a new wrap and snap nursing bra, 2 pairs of nursing & maternity PJs I have been wearing, a Bravado microfiber bra, Recharge, and the baby swing. Just need the pool and pump (and hose, etc.), assorted birth things, to put my house in order, to Christmas shop, and some knitting & sewing to do and I'm about done!

#119 ·
I'm thinking of adding a bra to birth in, in case I don't want the cotton tank nightie I used last time... if I can find something dark colored and very comfy and cheap like at Target I'll go for it!

Otherwise I think I might have just finished with purchases (until we do the midwife birth kit). I do need to get some more vitamins but that doesn't count :p My mom's friend was asking what I did need, since I was talking about how we need NO clothes and I looked at my amazon list, and while there are totally things it would be nice to have, there's nothing we have to have, at least not right away.

Now it's just prepping stuff... when I get home I'm going to start washing diapers! And then we have to keep cleaning, and sewing and stuff for certain projects and getting ready for xmas. Oh, and I do want to come up with a Halloween costume that features the belly

#120 ·
Quote:

Wow, those are pricey slipcovers! I think I'm going to get some minky and try to wing it for my glider. I was going to buy some for a blanket, anyway, so might as well!

I was going to order the Bravado tanks, but my size fluctuates so much those first couple postpartum months I'd about need one of everything!

Now who wants to motivate me to pull out my sewing machine and get working on these things? I have so much to do this week but feel like I MUST GET IT DONE NOW. Crazy hormones.

Fellow co-sleepers, which bed guards are you using? I have one from kid #4 in the attic but it's so hard and kinda icky and needs cleaned. I like this one, but it's so pricey. I also have baby in the middle of us sometimes instead of just on the outside (dh is a good co-sleeper). Does anyone have this and like it?
i know
I HATE how $$ they were. But the glider was sitting here, all stinky looking and I swear at this point in time I am like allergic to anything messy/dirty/disorganized. It was either get the slipcover or get that glider outta here. I sold some stuff on ebay to justify!

Hey, did you get your bottles on Zulily? I was looking at them on there and couldnt make up my mind...

#123 ·
I have heard those binders or wraps are bad for prolapse does anyone know if that is true? My cervix was a bit prolapsed after my last baby so now that it is back to being high, I am hoping to have no prolapse at all after this birth.

#124 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avasmom View Post
I have heard those binders or wraps are bad for prolapse does anyone know if that is true? My cervix was a bit prolapsed after my last baby so now that it is back to being high, I am hoping to have no prolapse at all after this birth.
I have a mild prolapse, though not cervical. There is a recent belly binding thread with instructions on how to properly bind so as to support the pelvic organs to actually prevent prolapse in general. That is what I will be doing.

#125 ·
Actually the Tupler technique is good for prolapse. Lose Your Mummy Tummy.. I forget the name of the website.

With my daughter I felt like wrapping my belly in an ace bandage... I had never heard of binding before this pregnancy, lol. It would have helped. I really want to get one of the Tupler wraps and a binder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.