What will you be listening to during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never had a CD selection or playlist (don't own an iPod ) but my sister had some really cool music on her playlist during her (long) labor. Mine tend to be short (like 1-2 hours short) so I don't need a ton of songs.

When I'm in labor, I get into that primal place so something to go along with that would be good. I have some Loreena McKennitt that is pretty tribal-ish, very Moroccan sounding. Any other suggestions?

What will you be listening to?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I can't wait to hear what everyone else has!

Last time I had my hypnobabies and some Spiral Rhythm (Om jam, Maiden Mother Crone, etc.). This time I will probably add the same but wanted to add some more tribal sounding music.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always envisioned listening to my favorites or some really soothing selections. In reality, I want silence. Everybody is to shut up! Dh admitted to being bored out of his mind the first time around.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM

With my DD I made quite a playlist that varied between soft music, Loreena McKennit was on mine too. And to fast hip/hop dance songs.

I found when I was in labor with DD anything with words started to annoy me really fast!! I was thankful I also had instramentals on the playlist, mostly from a Drum Mediation CD that was played during a prenatal massage and I found it so calming I immediately purchased it for DD's labor. And SOO glad I did.

Everytime I needed grounding I went into the shower and played that CD and just floated elsewhere.

I plan on using just that CD this time.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 AM

I haven't made a playlist for this birth yet but these were the two cd's I made for DS's birth:

1.Amos Lee “Arms of a Woman”
2.Coldplay “Beautiful World”
3.The Beatles “Blackbird”
4.Ben Harper “Forever”
5.Ben Harper “Happy Everafter in Your Eyes”
6.Danny Elfman “Ice Dance”
7.Jack Johnson “Imagine”
8.Brandi Carlile “Josephine”
9.Dixie Chicks “Lullaby”
10.Enya “May it be”
11.Bob Marley “No Woman No Cry”
12.Ben Harper “The Three of Us” (DS was born during this song)
13.Billie Holiday “The Very Thought of You”
14.Jamie Cullum “What a Difference a Day Made”

1. Rufus Wainwright “Hallelujah”
2.Ray LaMontagne “Shelter”
3. Rachmaninoff “Vocalise”
4.Rachel Yamagata “I Wish You Love”
5.Norah Jones “Something is Calling You”
6. Norah Jones “The Nearness of You”
7.Muriel Zoe “Lullaby”
8.Louis Armstrong “What a Wonderful World”
9.Lisa Gerrard “Sanvean”
10.Diana Krall “The Nearness of You”
11.Jem “Maybe I’m Amazed”
12.Ben Harper “I Shall Not Walk Alone”
13.The Beatles “In My Life”

I like it ecclectic. Sweet tidbit...DH and I walked down the aisle to "Forever" by Ben Harper and the song that was playing when DS was born was "The Three of Us" by Ben Harper. I thought it was a sweet turn of fate that it turned out that way.

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJunkie View Post
I haven't made a playlist for this birth yet but these were the two cd's I made for DS's birth:

1.Amos Lee “Arms of a Woman”
2.Coldplay “Beautiful World”
3.The Beatles “Blackbird”
4.Ben Harper “Forever”
5.Ben Harper “Happy Everafter in Your Eyes”
6.Danny Elfman “Ice Dance”
7.Jack Johnson “Imagine”
8.Brandi Carlile “Josephine”
9.Dixie Chicks “Lullaby”
10.Enya “May it be”
11.Bob Marley “No Woman No Cry”
12.Ben Harper “The Three of Us” (DS was born during this song)
13.Billie Holiday “The Very Thought of You”
14.Jamie Cullum “What a Difference a Day Made”

1. Rufus Wainwright “Hallelujah”
2.Ray LaMontagne “Shelter”
3. Rachmaninoff “Vocalise”
4.Rachel Yamagata “I Wish You Love”
5.Norah Jones “Something is Calling You”
6. Norah Jones “The Nearness of You”
7.Muriel Zoe “Lullaby”
8.Louis Armstrong “What a Wonderful World”
9.Lisa Gerrard “Sanvean”
10.Diana Krall “The Nearness of You”
11.Jem “Maybe I’m Amazed”
12.Ben Harper “I Shall Not Walk Alone”
13.The Beatles “In My Life”

I like it ecclectic. Sweet tidbit...DH and I walked down the aisle to "Forever" by Ben Harper and the song that was playing when DS was born was "The Three of Us" by Ben Harper. I thought it was a sweet turn of fate that it turned out that way.
That's a great playlist for every day!

I definitely need serious tribal stuff, no words. Drums are good. Maybe my sister can put something together for me....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
That's a great playlist for every day!

I definitely need serious tribal stuff, no words. Drums are good. Maybe my sister can put something together for me....
Me, too. I've been looking but have been out of luck so far finding something that sounds good for labor and birth. The Om jam by Spiral Rhythm has a little chanting but otherwise has a good deep rhythm to it. I want to find more like it!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM

I need to think about this... if left to my husband we would listen to NIN. I know this from experience because we actually got into a bit of an argument when my 3rd son was born and that's what he wanted to play!!!!! I was like.. um.. no? lol Funny now, we were so young back then.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM

I can just imagine Closer when you hit transition.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM

I've started to work on mine. Some of the songs will be recycled from my birth mix from my last labor with some new songs mixed in.

Not sure if I just want to play itunes from my mackbook or invest in a new ipod speaker dock thingy. My boys broke my last one and I never bought a replacement because I mostly use my ipod in the van to listen to music. Hmm, do you think I can justify new ipod speakers as a baby item??

TeaJunkie, we have similar taste in music!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM

I had a playlist put together for my last birth, but went so fast that my laptop never even made it out of the bag. And the way it was going, I don't think I would've wanted music.

Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed about a month ago and I lost everything. Thousands of songs.... It still makes me so sad. I feel like there's a big empty place inside of me. Ok, pity party over. Thanks for listening.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

I have all these birthing CDs I made last time, but this pregnancy (especially commuting to work during the school year!) I have had so much fun making a new playlist in my head. Of course I was barely aware of the music at all last time, but I figure it subconsciously made me comfortable, and made it nicer for DH too (lots of our mutual favs like DMB).

I'm going to try to remember some of them... gotta start putting it together so I can listen to it while I practice hypnobabies down the line Some songs are slow and low, some have great beats, some are just my funny favorites that make me happy! I tear up every time tho! I picture the song playing as I birth and I get SO HAPPY and excited!!!

David Gray--
Be Mine
Sail Away with Me

DMB--
Crush
Two Step
I'll back you up
Old Dirt Hill
Steady as We Go
Hunger for the Great Light
You and me together
A billion others; I'll go thru DH's collection

That scottish woman, whatshername... lol
Universe and U

Nelly Furtado
The one about her baby boy being born

Selections from Sarah M and Loreena M

Maybe some Jack Johnson

Ummm gosh I suck at remembering songs, gotta go thru my CDs!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Wait...can you have music playing in the delivery room at the hospital? Or is this only for home births? I'd love to play my Gentle Thunder and Hilde Girls Cd's

Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Margaret, I love DMB!

Moviestarr, I think most birth rooms have a CD player in them, but if not, you could bring your own laptop and speakers. I've never heard of a hospital where you can't listen to your own music, but you can double-check if you're going to tour it before the birth.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can take a CD player of some sort (sometimes they may want battery-operated only) to a hospital. Of course, when I went, we took everything, and then I was so deep in labor land I had NO interest in ANY of it.

With my first homebirth, my music of choice was Albinoni's Adagios. No words, lots of movement, great to sway/dance to, and very passionate (especially the one track that I liked so much.. whichever it was!).

With my 2nd, I had a couple of songs picked out that I had listened to a TON during pregnancy. I never played any music during labor, but the words and encouragement from those songs came back to me in transition when I needed it most.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Love TeaJunkie's list...I have similar music tastes. A doula friend of mine recommended making at least two lists: one with slower mellow stuff - no words; and one with upbeat music you like to listen to.

My upbeat one will have some of TeaJunkie's picks, but for my mellow list I was thinking movie soundtracks:
Lord of the Rings, Dr. Zhivago (newer BBC version, beautiful music), Somewhere in Time, Braveheart, The Piano, Gattaca, The Power of One, Constant Gardner, The Hours, The village, North and South (miniseries), Out of Africa, Little Women, Ever After and Dances with Wolves. (with selective editing of action songs)

Other mellow stuff will probably include some Enya, Natalie Merchant, Sufijan Stevens, Adele, Damien Rice...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Today I got it into my head that I want a playlist of UU hymns (primarily anyways. There's a few other random things on the list, most of which I already have). I've known from the start that I want "I Know This Rose Will Open", but a few others popped into my head today, and searching around for them, I found even more that I want.

I've found CDs that include most of what I'm looking for, any I'd be willing to buy individual tracks, but I'm not finding most of what I'm looking for available that way.

Arg. This is nesting, people! I am driven! How dare they thwart my desires!

Funny thing is, up until about an hour ago I didn't actually have a significant desire to listen anything during labor.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 PM

I have a huge variety because I tend to not want to listen to a song for more than a minute, lol.

My playlist has everything from Tool to Vivaldi. I also have quite a bit of Loreena McKennitt and quite a lot of Enya. One of my favourite lullabyes is Suo Gan (go youtube it - it's incredible.) Lots of Opera and classics like Vivaldi's four seasons, Holst's planets, Grieg's Peer Gynt suite, and a few bits and pieces here and there from a variety of composers.

Plus, a solid helping of Beatles.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Now for some strange reason I didn't break out my I-Pod last time, and it would have helped, a lot! I'm wondering what I would want to listen to...I'm thinking I might make a couple different play lists and then have DH upload what I decide on when the time comes. I'm thinking I would prefer something with a bit of a beat, I think it would make contractions go faster than something that is too slow and mellow, like when I am walking, I like a really strong beat, like Lady Gaga. I have pretty eclectic taste too, and I think songs that I'm really familiar with would be a good idea. I'm running out of time to do this stuff!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM

I will probably be listening to Mariee Sioux mostly. For some reason I've decided that it is the only perfect music to listen to while in labor.

I might turn on some Rilo Kiley, Bright Eyes, Eisley, Radiohead, something like that if I need a change of pace. The chances of me actually getting a real *playlist* put together before then are just really, really slim
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM

I think I managed to track down everything I wanted, with multiple versions of many of them, and added just a few (there's about 50 songs on the playlist. I started out with about 5 in mind).

It's a bit heavy on the lyrics, and I'm not sure how that will be, but I have a separate list with some instrumental/nonverbal stuff that I can put on repeat if I want.

Happy now, but I suppose I should sleep instead of listening to my playlist

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I just finished listening to alllll of my Loreena McKennitt CDs and wrote down all of my favorite songs - the most tribal, least lyrics. I still need some more tunes and just stmbled across PaganRadio.net's lite playlist...I think I'll look into some of these.

I don't have an iPod (my girls do though ), so I figured I'd just make a couple of discs - maybe a lighter one for after baby comes.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM

My playlist so far:

"Hallelujah"-Jeff Buckley
"Let it be"-The Beatles
"Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World-Israel"- "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole
"Green Eyes"-Coldplay
"Mysterious Ways"-U2
"Bach: Italian Concerto In F, BWV 971"- Andante-Dubravka Tomšič
"Walkin' After Midnight"-Madeleine Peyroux
"Yellow"-Coldplay
"Everything's Not Lost"-Coldplay
"Me And Bobby McGee"- Janis Joplin
"Om Jam (3)"-Spiral Rhythm
"Maiden, Mother, Crone"-Spiral Rhythm
"Amsterdam"-Coldplay
"The Scientist"-Coldplay
"Oh, Great Spirit"-Mary Thienes-Schunemann
"In These Arms"-The Swell Season

Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM

Last time I was really into Chantal Kreviazuk, and that's all I listened to in the birth. This time I'm really into Sarah McLachlan, so I plan to have that ready to go I can't wait! I love preparing for the birth.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Oh, I just saw somebody post a Coldplay song. I'll plan on that, too. I usually like to stick with one thing - so not a compilation. But I love Coldplay, and that will fit with Sarah quite nicely
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 PM

This is DHs responsibility. He is a total music junky and I have requested multiple playlists- instrumental, upbeat, chill. I'm sure he will blow my mind with his choices!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM

the cracking fire!
i have never had music while in labour.. not sure why but it just didn't work for me.. i guess i like quiet for concentration... i go very inward while giving birth..i think i wouldn't even hear it if there were music.. i like the idea though and i have after birth music. we have a beautiful lulaby cd that i was given by a good friend after my son was born and its been a staple after birth and while the kids are small.. i cant remember what its called but i will dig it out soon...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

A crackling fire sounds REALLY nice. Wish I had one....

I plan on utilizing my shower with no electric lights, just beeswax candles & some music.

User Tag List