Knittin' & Sewin' Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there have been a few crafty threads but they always seem to get lost in the pages..so I thought I would start a new one..

What are you working on...what have you completed..What do you have waiting to be started?

Im so curious!

Right now I have #1 of a set of bamboo/merino leg warmers done for the wee one.. knit with superfine yarn in 2x2 rib. they are pretty sweet and super soft! im hoping they wont be too big.. also have some longies to finnish up (crotch gusset on one pair and a leg on the other..

I also have a ton of things that I want to make!..

Just now I was searching Ravelry for some inspiration and I found this pattern for a Knit Sleep Sac.. it is so way too cute. im going to go see what yarn I have right now so i can start! It has a pattern for a matching hat as well

I may well make some matching longies since I LOVE the Owlie theme..

I also have a ton of sewing I want to do.. my house guest/friend who visited left me her serger to use for the next long while, so im going to try to get lots done once we get back from our trip away (where i will raid yarn & sewing shops) I have moved my living-room around so i have a good work space for sewing when I finally get to it. my plan is to get my kids sleeping at 7:30 every night so i can have a few hours of alone time to make things..

So far I have fabric for a quilt, and i want to make a matching changing pad with bamboo/cotton fill in both.. and i want to make myself some clothes with this divine olive green bamboo fabric that i bought ages ago.

happy crafting!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#2 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm slowly working on my postpartum stash... most of my cloth pads I had before were all practice pads and weren't all that pretty, lol. Sounds silly.. but I just want some nice looking, fun pads for after this babe. So in between orders I've been making up my stash... I've got about 12 liners, 12 pads, I think I will make 4 postpartum pads and then 6 overnights and that should carry me through for a few years.

Another project I keep meaning to dive into is some tie dying... I want to make the baby's born at home shirt.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM

I keep starting things for the baby and ripping them out...mostly because I keep realizing that I am just not really a wool diapering person, no matter how much I want to be. We use prefolds from the get-go and there is just too much leaky poo to consider using wool. And my DD won't let me put the one pair of longies I ever made on her. We do use LanaCare covers at night, but they are so thick, and I could never knit anything to match that.

I AM knitting like a maniac for my DD, though. I just finished my third Milo vest in a month, another Little Turtle Knits pilot cap, and I just started my first baby surprise sweater, but its with Cascade 220 on size 8s, so it will definitely be for her and not the baby.

I need to at LEAST make the baby a hat! I think this has something to do with my denial that my I'm almost in the third trimester. We are toying with the idea of moving and renovating in the time before the baby gets here, so I need it to not be TOO soon.

As for sewing, I am planning to make myself some pads, and I really want to make some new wipes with my new serger, too. Not that I need wipes, oh no. I bought tons of thirsties wipes before DD was born....maybe I just need an easy project?

I am also busy knitting/sewing things for a doll that I plan to give DD for her birthday, so that is taking up my time as well.

Whew, that was long....

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#4 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

I just go my crafting corner set up in our new place, even though we moved back in June. It really helped center me to put everything away and let me have the space to be creative again.

I'm going to the discount fabric store today, actually! I'm sneaking away from work an hour early to get there. I want to get some fabric to make receiving blankets -- what fabric do you crafty ladies like for receiving blankets? I was just thinking some soft fleece or something like that, but I'm not sure.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#5 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM

I'm working on layering the babe's quilt today so I can get it in the mail to send it to be quilted. When I get it back I'll just have to bind it and it'll be done. I'll post pics of it then.

I made this babe a blanket out of a super cute purple and gray lotus print and lined it in some organic cotton fleece I had stashed around. It looks sooo comfy, perfect for a fall babe!

Got a pair of longies on the needles and this sleep sack that is taking for-ever to knit on teeny tiny needles. I'm determined though, to have it done by November.

I'm ridiculously excited about this pattern that is on its way to me now. I've got some really sweet knit prints to make some layette stuff with it.

I've got other random projects in the works, too. Today I'm batiking a little square of fabric for the babe's scrapbook cover and decorating candles with goddess/birth images for labor.

So much left to craft...so little time left!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#6 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM

I don't knit...I crochet...and sew, too! I've made for wool soakers so far, two wraps, and two pull-ons. I also made a wee baby hat and booties, and would make more but am out of baby yarn and can't buy more right now. Actually, I really would love to crochet more stuff, but we're on a really strict budget right now...so I can't afford to buy yarn and only have small odds and ends in my stash, not enough to actually make anything. Oh, I almost forget that I crocheted some cotton baby washcloths a while back, too.

I did sew a simple little patchwork square quilt a few months back, too, before we knew whether we'd be having a boy or girl. I picked a range of blues, greens and yellows, with just a few little bits of pink in one of the prints...so, it worked out well in the end. Just finished stitching up a mei tai from an old blue bedsheet and some matching scrap fabric. I tried it on with a stuffed animal, and it seemed about the size I wanted...hopefully it will work, since I really have no experience with these things!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#7 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM

I'm just getting around to doing some stuff for myself, I have so many friends popping out kids right now that I've been backlogged knitting baby gifts. Now I'm running out of time!
First off I need to sew a ring sling for a friend, she got me the cloth and I'm waiting for the rings to arrive in the mail, while I'm at it I'm making a new fleece one for myself, should be nice and cozy for this winter. In theory this should only take me a day.
Next, I'm going to convert some prefolds to fitteds, need to order some FOE.
I want to sew a new change pad and bag to hold diapers on the back of the bathroom door. I do have one, but I could make a prettier one
Knitting wise I just did a little raglan sweater, and I'm taking my knitting with me on vacation next week and plan to get some leggings done to match. I also want to make some booties, hats, and hopefully I have some time left to make some more garments. I have piles of vintage patterns that were my grandma's and mom's, so it's hard to choose which ones to do. DD was a spring baby, so if this one is a girl too I want a little white shrug that I can put over the springy dresses to make them work for winter.
I also have a pile of things meant for DD to finish, like a pair of PJ's that are cut but not sewn, and a ragtime quilt for her doll bed, and I'd like to make her a sweater for this winter.
Then there is the Christmas stocking for this LO, it's on the bottom of my priority list as I don't know when I'm ever going to be able to break out the cross stitch. Oh yes, and a cross stitch name keepsake thingy. Keep forgetting that too. Oh I need more time!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#8 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM

I finished the first pair of longies last night -- but as yummama said, I don't really use wool over cloth dipes that much, so the longies will end up going over covers anyhow

I *really* need to get going on a blanket for this babe -- DD1's blanket wasn't finished until her 3rd birthday because I kept knitting gifts for friends' babes! If I could choose a pattern and some yarn, I'd be closer to finished, right? LOL...

I also have some really cool hemp and soy silk yarn that I'm planning to make into a sleep sack (with cute buttoned suspender-y type things). But that will have to wait...but hopefully not too long!

I'm with the rest of you though -- 26.5w and how on earth am I going to finish anything in time??!?

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#9 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM

I can knit (barely) and just finished my first baby hat. I used the pattern from the Stitch N Bitch book. I just ordered another book on amazon called Knitting for Baby, which has a nice bootie pattern I'm hoping I can figure out. I would love to make some longies but don't know if I'm that skilled just yet.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#10 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalee2 View Post
I can knit (barely) and just finished my first baby hat. I used the pattern from the Stitch N Bitch book. I just ordered another book on amazon called Knitting for Baby, which has a nice bootie pattern I'm hoping I can figure out. I would love to make some longies but don't know if I'm that skilled just yet.
Longies were FAR easier than I thought they'd be -- especially the pattern I linked to. Booties are above my pay grade, though

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#11 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM

I am making some hats right now.

I also want to make some dream rings like the ones here from BlaBla. ($52 each is way too steep and I know I can come up with something original if not as cute using the same idea)

Also a quilt that will be used for a wall hanging, a few crocheted blankets and some longies.

I am saving most my baby projects for fall though when the waiting get's longer!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#12 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
Then there is the Christmas stocking for this LO, it's on the bottom of my priority list as I don't know when I'm ever going to be able to break out the cross stitch. Oh yes, and a cross stitch name keepsake thingy. Keep forgetting that too. Oh I need more time!
Oh, I totally forgot about the Christmas stocking! Thanks for the reminder! In my family growing up we each had a crocheted stocking with a santa figure appliqued on the front and our names stitched on the cuff at the top. One of my great aunts made the original ones for my mom, dad and me...then we had another one made when my brother came along. The original pattern got lost over time, and the aunt who made the first ones passed away. So a couple years ago when my brother got married, I got to figure out how to make his wife a new stocking. I wrote down my pattern, so now I'll have something to work from to make one for my own little babe!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#13 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calihannah View Post
Longies were FAR easier than I thought they'd be -- especially the pattern I linked to. Booties are above my pay grade, though
I hate booties for all the sewing and seams involved. I found this pattern for a seamless bootie...it worked out really well and if you can knit in the round it's a breeze.
http://pickinandthrowin.blogspot.com...-top-down.html

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#14 of 127 Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've knit...half a pair of longies.

I am soooooo slacking with this baby! I plan on making a sleep sack, romper, more longies, some hats and booties, sewn baby hats, and maybe other stuff.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#15 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 AM

i am in the midst of sewing a bunch of fitted diapers for baby. my goal is to have 2 dozen, and i have 7 finished as of right now. but i have TONS of fabric already cut and ready to sew -- the cutting takes me so long, but the actual sewing seems to go quicker.

i am also working on a pair of soft knitted baby legwarmers. i finished the first and am halfway done with the second leg. i think i'd like to make a matching hat and mittens, too.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#16 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

I am still waiting to be well enough to sit up and sew... as soon as I can, I'll cut out and do the machine sewing for a baby doll for DD, then I can sit around and stuff and do the head and face and all...

I also think I might make her some other little girl and boy dolls for xmas, so gotta do that now (TG-xmas last year was the perfect time to make her doll and doll clothes... not gonna happen this year! )

Okay, for baby-- I am going to get some white onsies and paint them-- a little brother one, a xmas one, a "Nate the Great" one, and whatever else... I think I'll water down the paint and let DD go to town on one outside. naked.

I will probably sew a taggy blanket for him, too... maybe a toy with some jingle bells (tied in tulle) inside... I use flannel coordinating baby blankets that are too small for swaddling, just sitting in a drawer, made some for friends, they were cute.

Man, my sewing skills are getting better, but I'm realizing how much I rely on putting cute ruffles and ribbons on things to sell them DD loves what I sew for her, but boys clothes will be a new adventure!
#17 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 AM

I'm knitting!! I did 2 pair of Babywarm leggings from Ravelry. . . they're on my blog: http://monkeymooknits.blogspot.com/ I used the leftovers from one of those skeins to make a top-down bonnet and some mitts (well, one mitt. The other's a WIP).

Tonight I replaced the elastic in my VERY worn BumGenius 1.0s. Woof. Those things are ROUGH, but hopefully they'll work one.more.time.. I just need one more round with them!!!

I'm going to do some longies next. I have scrumptious yarn. I'll also probably start a star blanket for the kiddo, I just can't decide on a yarn OR a color. . . yet.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#18 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM

Monica-how did you replace the elastic? I found some BG 2.0 smalls in my attic I totally had forgotten about. Almost new but I went to look at them and the perfect looking elastic shot. It's been 2 years and they just spent a couple months in a hot attic, so it looks to need replaced.

#19 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
So wait, booties are harder than longies? Oh boy. I like that pattern you linked to, just might give it a try. Sometimes it's hard for me to read a pattern and really understand what they want me to do. That's when it helps to have a book because they break it all down for you. Maybe if I have questions, I can ask you? Also, the seamless booties sound good, I'm okay at knitting in the round after making that hat. lol

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#20 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM

I've completed one sweater, and am a little over halfway through the second. I'm also over 75% done with the Moderne Log Cabin Baby Blanket from the Mason-Dixon book. I made it with Cascade 220 Superwash in red, yellow, blue, and green; it is so scrumptious and cushy feeling! I'll have leftovers from that for longies or soakers, or maybe another sweater. And I'll have leftover fingering weight from the WIP sweater to make a hat. I have the "Vintage Baby Knits" book, and the sweater and hat are from there.

I haven't sewn in ages, and have no place to keep a machine set-up. But Dh and Ds are going to Alubuquerque without me in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of pulling the sewing machine down from the attic to work on a few things. At the very least i'd like to make some scrumptious wipes as our old ones are totally worn out!

ETA: you can see my knit projects on Ravelry where I'm inProgress.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#21 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Monica-how did you replace the elastic? I found some BG 2.0 smalls in my attic I totally had forgotten about. Almost new but I went to look at them and the perfect looking elastic shot. It's been 2 years and they just spent a couple months in a hot attic, so it looks to need replaced.
Well, it's not pretty. On the inside of the diaper, I made small slits at each side of where the elastic goes, then reached in and pulled out the old elastic, threaded through new elastic, and hand-sewed up the little slits. It took me about 2 hours to do 3 diapers last night - doing the legs AND the back in all 3 diapers. Sadly, I lost 1 because the laminate had come off the PUL and was missing. Still, I figure if I saved 3 five-year-old diapers, that's pretty good, huh?

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#22 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the BG tip! I'll have to try, at least.

#23 of 127 Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM

I just sat down the other day and made a list of all the things I want to sew and knit before mid-November... it was shockingly long:

-Fitted pockets - 10 - Finished yay
-Soakers for pockets - 10 - 2 done
- Nursing pads - Finished!!
-Finish Quilt Wall Hanging - So Close
-Diaper Caddy/Diaper Bag - Also so close but stuck because I need some notions that I can't buy in town so I have to wait until we go south and go to Michaels
-Nursing Cover - see above ... darn small town
-Fix Winter Parka - big rip in pocket area
-Baby Quilt - can't wait to start this... but lots to do first
-Christmas stocking for DS and baby

Knitting
-Finish thrummed baby boots
-Vest/leggings for baby
-hat for baby
-Finish my mom's scarf from Christmas last year

PLUS I have a list of stuff I want to make for family for Christmas as I figure I won't have time come November... looks like my sewing machine and knitting needles are going to be getting a workout.

P.S. If you go to the diaper making forum... in the resources is a link to repairing diaper elastic for BG and Fuzzibuns... this is what I used when fixed some of mine that had died. It wasn't that bad and it totally save the diapers.

27 yo mother of DS 02/07/09 & DD 11/13/10. 
#24 of 127 Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalee2 View Post
So wait, booties are harder than longies? Oh boy. I like that pattern you linked to, just might give it a try. Sometimes it's hard for me to read a pattern and really understand what they want me to do. That's when it helps to have a book because they break it all down for you. Maybe if I have questions, I can ask you? Also, the seamless booties sound good, I'm okay at knitting in the round after making that hat. lol
Sure, ask away! I found the SheepyTime pattern for longies to be *super* well written and easy to follow -- great photos illustrating some of the steps along the way

#25 of 127 Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Sure, ask away! I found the SheepyTime pattern for longies to be *super* well written and easy to follow -- great photos illustrating some of the steps along the way
Thanks! Yesterday, I started the bootie project from the book I ordered, and so far so good. I'm almost done with one bootie. It isn't a seamless bootie, so I have to sew it together, but I don't think that will be too hard, I'm just hoping I can make it look nice. Next project, SheepyTime longies!

#26 of 127 Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 AM

so far...

finished:

- 1 knit cap (came out a little big, more like 0-3mos size)
- 7 new flannel wipes (really didn't need any more, but...)
- 1 pr recycled longies made from recently-deceased grandmother's cream cashmere sweater sleeves (felted)
- 1 cap from light pink cashmere sweater's turtleneck

in-progress:

- knit rainbow stripes blanket (lap size) of superwash merino and cotton/bamboo (2 strands)
- itty-bitty socks (brown w/ pink toes and heals, superwash merino) - DONE!!

to-do:
[holding off on some of this until 3D u/s @ 29 wks to 100% confirm GIRL]

- PP pads (kind of optional -- i'm prepared to use 'sposie pads until the flow is light enough for regular sized cloth pads, of which i have ~18+?)
- cotton flannel sleepers and gowns
- baby's christmas dress & bloomers
- more knitted hats (at least 2 -- one to match socks and another for immediate newborn use)
- crochet bonnet
- more knitted socks (maybe 2 more prs)
- recycled soakers from 2nd-hand sweaters
- more longies from grandmother's other felted cashmere sweaters
- knitted soakers eventually (just finished an XL stash for my 2yo, so a little soaker'd out for now)
- christmas stocking (i totally cheat on this and cut&glue green felt letters to a cheap red stocking, then paint wintery images on it. quick, easy, and personalized! )
- organic cotton knit blanket (not sure i'll ever get around to that one; may save the supplies for another baby's gift)
- maybe some large (45"x45") flannel blankets (double layer, TnT...like a quilt, but no batting )

...and all the while, trying to plan for a home-made christmas for my other children and hubby (money is an issue right now, but craft supplies are in abundance!). it looks like i may be getting over-ambitious...we shall see what actually gets done. but, last pregnancy i got 2.5 afghan-size crochet blankets finished, so perhaps as i get more whale-like i will be doing more crafting!

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#27 of 127 Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
I'm ridiculously excited about this pattern that is on its way to me now. I've got some really sweet knit prints to make some layette stuff with it.
have you sewn with stretch knits before? i never really have (successfully, at least), so although i have a great layette pattern (here), i am planning to stick to cotton flannel... i'm skerred of stretch knit...

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#28 of 127 Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM

WESTCOASTLADY! Thrummed booties! What an amazing fabulous idea! I love it! I am so making those for this baby and for other new fall/winter babies! I knit thrummed mittens for my gma for Christmas last year and started a pair for my sister for this year- need to start some for me too- but booties are so not as intimidating! Are you just adding thrumms or following a specific pattern?

I need to knit some more baby socks (almost have a pair done)
another pair of longies
convert onsies into tshirts.
sew some robeez type slippers (I lined DS2s with rabbit fur- they were amazing!
make a new baby quilt- I want to do rainbow tonal crazy quilt blocks.
make another T&T big flannel receiving blanket (these are amazing out of 2 layers of flannel)
2-3 pairs of wool nursing pads.
a couple of little hats- with ties on them so they actually stay on.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#29 of 127 Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippyMama View Post

- knit rainbow stripes blanket (lap size) of superwash merino and cotton/bamboo (2 strands)
I wanna see this when you're finished. I found a pattern for a rainbow blanket that was on my to-do list but at this point I am doubtful that I can get it done in time.

Inspire me, mama!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#30 of 127 Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
WESTCOASTLADY! Thrummed booties! What an amazing fabulous idea! I love it! I am so making those for this baby and for other new fall/winter babies! I knit thrummed mittens for my gma for Christmas last year and started a pair for my sister for this year- need to start some for me too- but booties are so not as intimidating! Are you just adding thrumms or following a specific pattern?
I had a bootie pattern already but it wasn't specifically thrums. I'm just adding them in whatever way made sense to me. I actually started them for DS last fall when I had leftover roving from some thrummed mittens I made. I ran out so then I had to buy more and by the time it came (I had to mail order it) it was spring.... so I'm determined to finish them for this baby. I just have to heel/foot of the second bootie to go. They are turning out super cute... but a little girly (my roving is multicoloured but it does have quite a bit of purple in it).

27 yo mother of DS 02/07/09 & DD 11/13/10. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page