Weekly Chat August 3 ~ August 9 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Farren - dill pickle soup! I've never heard of that! Is it actually made with dill pickles, or is it more of a dill cucumber soup?

Karen - sorry to hear about the PUPPs! But glad to hear your ds is improving.

Fern - aren't raspberries fab? My bil has a 5 acre berry farm - we picked enough raspberries for 3 batches of jam (in jars now) and some strawberries for pie. Mmmmm - blueberries to come at the end of the month!

MisaGoat - sorry to hear about the unemployment...I hope you don't have to scramble too much financially between now and November.

We had a delicious dinner tonight - dh barbequed a steak, and we had roasted potatoes, roasted beets, and steamed beans that we grew ourselves! Dh and I also ate the beet greens (can't waste them!), then we all finished off with some homemade cherry chocolate chip ice cream. Gotta love summer!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 AM

Ok! Have a moment to post! Here's a pic of the rainbow cupcakes ♥

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=697190128

And a sorta belly pic

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...2_742137_n.jpg

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 AM

awesome cupcakes!

Raspberries sound great. There were huge blackberries at the farmer's market the last week. We went to a friend's house for dinner last night and she had raspberry bushes but when we went to check them out the raspberries were all gone. One house my parents rented had raspberry and blackberry bushes in the backyard and we made jam. I remember it so clearly and I was only 3 or 4, my parents told me that was the only time we ever made jam. I think my mom still has the jars.

I also appear to have a rash on my arm from gardening earlier. We pulled up a fish pond insert in the yard and I was pulling up all the rocks under it and clearing some plants. I didn't see anything that looked poisonous but there were a lot of spiders. Now my arm has blotchy and is itchy.

We seem to get hung up on the food items mentioned in these threads. Cupcakes, raspberries, coconut ice cream.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nic, the cupcakes are awesome! Happy birthday to Sage!

MisaGoat, ugh! So sorry about the layoff! I hope it all works out for the best.

Raspberries... mmm! I don't suppose they grow here as we've only heard of local blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. We don't exactly live in the best climate for growing many things. But I do love pick-your-own farms!

I can't believe how hot it is in some areas! It's been hot, no doubt, here, but we have yet to break 100 and it's August already! Still, the heat today was pretty sapping. I had to run some errands to get DS1 ready for camp, and it was tough to get back to the car from Target going through the stifling air. Definitely eager for it to turn cooler!

I have been super stressed this week and today has been very depressing. I am feeling like there's no chance we'll have a house before baby comes - or maybe at all. The builder is telling us they can't start our build (even though we've done everything we're supposed to do) because they have too many other homes either in inventory or with a contingency. There's no way we could buy if we didn't sell this house, and while we're sure this house will sell, we are also not pushing super hard to sell it until they've actually, you know, cleared the land! Maybe even started a foundation. I finally got in touch with a friend whose DH works for this company (though not on our side of town), and he's going to poke around tomorrow and see what he can find out. He knew about it already and I'm just hoping he can come up with something good. Today was nothing but bad - even unrelated stuff - and I'm just not really up to coping with it. ETA: We were never made aware of this policy when we wrote our contract, and even our sales agent said she has never heard of it before. So we're arguing that they need to waive it on our house because it wasn't part of the original agreement AND we never even had anyone mention it or tell us to be prepared for that possibility. Sigh.

We did get to visit with some friends today (my 2yo has been in tears routinely because he wanted to go so badly!), and that was nice. And this evening I took the older 2 to a meeting to get ready for a big event our church is doing in 10 days. We're giving backpacks and school supplies to *every* child in the school district our church is in - 3100 kids. And 2/3 are impoverished. There will also be things like photographs, hair cuts, and vision screenings for the first 300 who come to the 2-hour event (whoever doesn't come still gets the backpack and supplies, but will be distributed by the schools, I guess). My boys are so excited to be able to help! I'm really looking forward to it - though I did ask if I could have a chair to sit in while I hand out backpacks. This is a huge undertaking that's been worked on for months, and I'm so glad it's all coming together!

DS1 leaves for his very first-ever time away from home in the morning - earlier than I like to be up! I need to finish packing his suitcase for him. I know he's going to have an awesome time! And then I wonder if he'll be okay showering on his own (he typically has baths and I help him with his hair) and be able to figure out how to dress in a shared cabin as modestly as possible, etc. There are so many little things that come with going off to camp that he's had NO exposure to. But I know he'll have fun! He was literally jumping up and down tonight while talking to a friend who's been before.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 AM

Heather - I'm so sorry about the house news. I hope your friend's dh is able to help you out...ugh, how infuriating!!!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Heather. That is awful. And what a time for all of that to be going on... I am one of those people who believes that everything happens for a reason, so may it just isn't the right time/right house.. Everything will work out, but until then many your way.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Heather - Ugh, house stress!!!!!! So sorry to hear about the bad news and the stress that it brings. Buying/selling your home is really up there with some of the worst, or at least that's what I think.

Your school backpack project sounds wonderful. How great of your church to organize such a thing. Before kids I used to be a school social worker in a very impoverished school system and what a wonderful thing that would have been to utilize. Really nice that your kids can participate too and have such a hands-on experience with helping people - especially kids their own age. I also can't imagine the planning that such an event takes. Hope that it all goes off perfectly!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ugh, I got some craptastic news this morning-my midwife is leaving the practice. I am so bummed. I am vbac'ing and she is the ONLY hospital midwife in town. I can't use the birthing center or homebirth with a midwife because of the stupid vbac laws here. So, I'm stuck with a ob. The LAST thing I wanted to do.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
Ugh, I got some craptastic news this morning-my midwife is leaving the practice. I am so bummed. I am vbac'ing and she is the ONLY hospital midwife in town. I can't use the birthing center or homebirth with a midwife because of the stupid vbac laws here. So, I'm stuck with a ob. The LAST thing I wanted to do.

I wonder if your midwife could recommend an ob to you that might match with some of your ideals. I hate changing plans.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post

I wonder if your midwife could recommend an ob to you that might match with some of your ideals. I hate changing plans.
There are 2 ob's in her practice that are "supportive" of vbac's. She told me that my best bet is to labor as long as I can at home to avoid any interventions.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dang Earthy Mama

Heather

MisaGoat

Nic!

I have an almost clean house and started feeling woozy, so I'm giving up until right after lunch. Gotta go do school with a kid.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM

ugh.. my pelvis/joints were feeling much better until yesterday.. now they hurt again, and all over. boo.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I am sooo sorry. My MW left the practice to move to another state earlier in my pregnancy as well.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Nic, that "belly picture" is adorable!

Farren, if you are worried about breastfeeding, or just want to have some support when the time comes, I urge you to find out about your local Le Leche League and attend some meetings before your baby comes. I also know an IBCLC that does a package of 1 prenatal and 1 (or 2?) post-natal appts - you get help in preparing before the birth and support during the early days and weeks, which can be hard. Preparation and support have been shown to have a big impact on breastfeeding rates. It's so nice that you are excited about it! But also know that it isn't always just a matter of trusting your body - being prepared for problems can help you work through them.

Heather, that sucks about the house. I don't really understand what their hold-up is re: too many houses with contingencies...are they worried your house won't sell and you won't be able to pay them??

I can't imagine all the moving and remodeling some of you are doing! I'm about worn out with just the rearranging we had to do...

MisaGoat - so sorry about getting laid off It's happened to me and it SUCKS. It must suck even worse to have just been hired. I hope your old boss is able to help you somehow.

EarthyMama, that would be awful!! Is she leaving the area entirely? I hope the OBs are as supportive as she says they are.

I just found out through a friend that my midwifery is "breaking up" - they are only taking new clients individually, but continuing to see existing clients as a pair. I'm glad I didn't have to choose between them, as I like them both.

DS seems to be doing much better. He hasn't complained of bottom itching since he took the Vermox, but we haven't seen any dead worms come out. He also hasn't pooped since he took it. Darn constipation! I'm a bit worried it will be totally disgusting and filled with dead worms when he does poop.

I just went for what felt like a long walk - first walk in a couple of weeks - and got home to find out it had only been 20-25 minutes. *sigh* I need to get back to walking every day. It's hard with DH home all the time thought. You'd think that would make it easier, but he's always go-go-go about something, and I feel like my wants get put on the back burner. Which isn't necessarily true, as he's also always urging me to exercise.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Karen, how can you walk in this heat? It's been over 100 here with suffocating humidity. I hate it! I'm not walking until I won't die once I step outside.

Did you guys realize that we...are going to have babies? Like pretty soon? We're all almost to the 3rd trimester. 3 MONTHS LEFT. Until there is like...a baby. Can you believe that? I can't. I'm still in shock. And completely unprepared.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

kittywitty: I was just thinking of that the other day... I swear my last two pregnancies dragged on and on, they seemed to last forever and I've been continually amazed at how fast this one has gone by. I can't believe I'm > < this close to the third tri. I'm starting to really feel third tri-ish, lol. I apparently look it as well... a friend yesterday said I had no idea that you weren't due very soon, had I not known from a facebook post about your miscarriage I would have thought you were due very soon. Yeah... I was big like this with my daughter as well. I'm a little nervous about how big I'm going to get in the next couple months. And OMG there's gonna be a baby at the end... I'm really visualizing this birth.. everything is so different this time around.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Karen, how can you walk in this heat? It's been over 100 here with suffocating humidity. I hate it! I'm not walking until I won't die once I step outside.

Did you guys realize that we...are going to have babies? Like pretty soon? We're all almost to the 3rd trimester. 3 MONTHS LEFT. Until there is like...a baby. Can you believe that? I can't. I'm still in shock. And completely unprepared.
Completely unprepared is right. My house is a DISASTER. We have no savings for when I'll be out of work (I make about twice as much as DP) AND I have to find a new care provider!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm taking a break from packing for camping.

Got up at 6:30 this AM feeling so nauseated and awful. My throat is swollen from the same cold that DD and DS already have, and although I've ben taking lots of vitamin C, I just can't seem to beat it. I don't know if the vit C is what's making me feel so awful, but I keep burping and feeling like I have a pit in my stomach, and when I eat, all the food stops at the bottom of my esophagus. I took a zofran, but all that did was keep me from vomiting. It's making for slow-going on the packing front.

Misa, I'm so sorry about your job. That really stinks.

Earthy, sorry about your mw situation.

Karen, constipation and worms.... ugh. Need I say more?

Heather, your house woes stress me out just reading about them. I hope something gets resolved or you figure out another plan soon!

Farren, I second what Karen said about breastfeeding. Especially in the first couple of days, there can be a lot of issues that you weren't expecting, and can really throw you for a loop. Baby can be mucousy, sleepy, not interested, etc. And depending on your breast tissue and nipples, latching can be tricky. Definitely have someone you can call for advice or help! Kangaroo care (skin to skin with baby on your chest, blanket over you both) is one of the best ways to help baby's temp stay stable and also encourages breastfeeding and breastmilk production, even if things aren't going so great right off the bat.

Nic, I was looking at the lists thread to get some ideas and didn't get past the first page, but wanted to add one important item to your birth kit list -- a bulb suction! Happy belated birthday and hope I Sage has a nice party as well!

I'm still waiting to get Word installed on my computer, and then I'm going to type out my little blessing-things and send my beads. I'm very excited about the sending and the receiving!

Well, DS is up from his nap, so we're heading out to the grocery store. Lord, help me get through this day!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

oh no! that's so sad! im really sorry mama..i hope that things work out.

demeter: its funny, i keep feeling like i should feel bigger than i am.. but i dont. last pregnancies i felt HUGE and i have felt moments but motsly i feel like im on the smaller side of pregnant this time around. i want to feel Huge and pregnant!! oh well.. i think in a lot of ways my body is just telling me that this whole pregnancy thing isnt a glorious as i once thought, which is good because i want to be totally happy and content with 4 children! and the less wonderful pregnancy feels the less i will want to do it again i suppose.

im loving knitting these days. finally!
banana bread baking, kitchen clean, happy LO's.. today is proving to be a great day so far. im hoping to get spend some time at the beach, have some swimming time... we get our 20lbs of blueberries today as well.. so i will be freezing those and im sure the kids will be eating their fill!

im not sure when we are leaving now.. it could be tomorrow still, in which case im not really ready now.. and maybe early next week, which would actually suit me better now i guess.. i have about 4 loads of laundry to wash/hang dry and i dont feel at all like doing laundry ATM..

anyone else feel like they dont get any sleep these days? im in bed, supposedly sleeping..but not feeling at all rested upon waking. its driving me crazy. i think i need to start napping in the day..but how? its impossible.
and last night I had a baby dream, but in this dream my SIL had twins (boy/girl).. she JUST had a baby 3 weeks ago, so i know that's not likely. its actually the 2nd time i have dreamt her having twins. very weird. especially since my last appointment i measured so close to right on i haven't even been thinking of multiples. subconscious! whY?

anyways, things to do.... the sun is shining!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks, Karen! I guess I should have clarified that I've been reading about breastfeeding since the moment I found out we were knocked up. So far I've joined an online breastfeeding community and learned all about improper latch, milk supply issues, mastitis, thrush, etc etc, as well as signed up for a breastfeeding class that starts next month. One of my closest friends was a LaLecheLeague leader (I wish she hadn't moved away!) and I'm definitely planning on attending a meeting or two ahead of time and then regularly afterwards. I guess what I was trying to say is that I am actually starting to feel well-informed and looking forward to the closeness it will bring to baby and I, whereas before I had been educating myself, it seemed like a scary process.

ETA: Above all, though, I want to say that I love the advice I receive from you guys, too! I hope I didn't come across as snarky. The mommas on this DDC keep me well informed for sure. <3

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Julie, lol, I think that's what the bulb 'syringe' meant... I was copying out of my book that I keep my lists in... it's entirely plausible that I somehow wasn't able to read my writing.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Fern, I was actually feeling rather smallish until just recently... I went through a bit of a growth spurt and I'm starting to feel it. I just had Tron (my hubby) 'sift' my belly because I was all balled up uncomfortable from all the stretching going on recently (plus all of the activity of the past few days), I attempted to find a comfortable position for the past 20 minutes and I wasn't able to fix it myself. The sifting helped. A lot.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM

What is 'sifting', Nic? I've had some massively uncomfortable cramping happening in the last couple of days - like BH, but they never seem to end. Baby's still active in there, though, so I'm not overly worried, just thinking this is a little strange, because it's never happened before. Growth spurt, maybe? I'm just a teensy weensy bit anxious, mostly because of my previous m/c and the couple of ladies who dropped out of our DDC after the 1st tri ended...

Canning 100 lbs of peaches today - dh and I have done 40 so far, and he's gone to drop off the kidlets at my sil's house for the afternoon, so we might have it all done today!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Nic, I guess I was looking at a later post, not even your list, so just ignore me! Im a walking, talking pregnancy brain!

Farren, sounds like you're ready to rock n' roll.

So I just spent $100 at the grocery store, couldn't find some of the items on my list despite walking up and down the aisles several times over, and still feel pukalicious. Really not my best day ever.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kidlets and me View Post
What is 'sifting', Nic? I've had some massively uncomfortable cramping happening in the last couple of days - like BH, but they never seem to end. Baby's still active in there, though, so I'm not overly worried, just thinking this is a little strange, because it's never happened before. Growth spurt, maybe? I'm just a teensy weensy bit anxious, mostly because of my previous m/c and the couple of ladies who dropped out of our DDC after the 1st tri ended...

Canning 100 lbs of peaches today - dh and I have done 40 so far, and he's gone to drop off the kidlets at my sil's house for the afternoon, so we might have it all done today!
I can understand being nervous... I totally was when it happened with my daughter's pregnancy. It started happening early this time around, too.. so I'm assuming it's like RLP... more so the muscles (fascia) stretching to accommodate the uterus and baby.

Anway.. sifting is AWESOME! I can't fully articulate it so I'm just going to link to the spinning babies website. It really helps me, it positions baby and really relaxes my muscles which in turn relaxes me. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this technique because I can see it as being highly useful in labor.

http://spinningbabies.simplwebsite.c...rebozo-sifting

Anyone else swelling? I noticed I have some pitting edema on my legs (had this with my daughter as well... bp looks good. Not sure about protein in my urine but I'd venture to say 95% chance of no. Nothing out of the ordinary in that regard.) I'm assuming that it likely is from all of the activity from yesterday coupled with being on my feet almost all day. (I sat.. but was just busy doing so much, I didn't put my feet up at all.) Anyway... was curious if anyone else noticed this. I did not have this with the boys... and it really freaked me out with my daughter but I'm guessing it's partly normal for me in the later stages of pregnancy... meh.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
oh, well, I live in Portland, where "hot" is anything over 90 We've got a high of about 80 today, and I went walking in the morning, sticking to shade as much as I could. If I don't get out early, it gets too hot for me. I could go to the gym, but that doesn't appeal right now. Although I'm hoping to start swimming there once DS is back in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Anyone else swelling? I noticed I have some pitting edema on my legs (had this with my daughter as well... bp looks good.
no swelling here. I did have some at the very end with DS, but I have pre-e, so it was kind of expected. I assume you're drinking lots of water...

Speaking of feeling/looking big...I really don't feel big at the moment, and even had someone the other day say I lolled small. Then I had DH look at belly pics from the last pregnancy and asked him which one he thought I looked like. He chose the one taken at New Year's, when I was 31 or 32 weeks!! And I do think I am bigger this time around.

I took a belly pic today, but haven't uploaded it yet.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM

I do try to keep up with water... I definitely notice it when I don't drink enough. I'm going to guess that I probably didn't do so well keeping up with my water intake yesterday either. Ack.. there's such a fine balance for me. It was also unbearable humid yesterday and with so many bodies in my house my a/c had a hard time keeping up.

I'm going to be very vigilant for the next day or so... my hands and face have no swelling, just my legs. My feet even look normal.. but this happened almost exactly the same way with my daughter. I wasn't very good about my water intake with her as a continuous thing, I tried drinking lots of water when I noticed the swelling but it didn't help... I realize now that it's not just when it shows up but all the time drinking it regularly. Anyway... babbling on.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
oh, well, I live in Portland, where "hot" is anything over 90 We've got a high of about 80 today, and I went walking in the morning, sticking to shade as much as I could. If I don't get out early, it gets too hot for me. I could go to the gym, but that doesn't appeal right now. Although I'm hoping to start swimming there once DS is back in school.
ohhh I am SO JEALOUS! it has been around 100 here most of the summer. Or 97 with a heat index of 105 or something. It has been gross. I'm dreaming of 80's and below....

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Can we trade summers, Karen? It's the fiery pits of hell here.

Nic-no pitting edema yet (I only ever had some with #4 near the end), but yes to general swelling in the hands, legs, and feet. Especially if I go outside. Thanks for the sifting link!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM

NIc, that sifting technique sounds very cool! im going to have to check that out. no swelling here yet. i did get a bit swollen ankles once after walking a LOT and painting and moving ect.. but nothing since. thank goodness. i seccond water, and REST! its your body saying.. "slow down"

bobbi, YUM. peaches i love canning things! i have been having cramps and aches and pains that i have never experienced before in my 3 previous pregnancies.. its probably totally normal i would say you also need to slow down a bit, rest more.. put your feet up! drink lots of water.

i took my prenatal vitamins for the first time in a few weeks and i feel a LOT better for it. i do find i get a bit sore tummy but my energy is better and i dont feel so foggy headed and tired.

we spent the afternoon at the beach. i knit and swam and ate pea & carrots that came in a huge basket of free biodynamic veggies! there is a CSA box program that happens here in town and someone who normally picks it up went to a festival and forgot to arrange another pick up..so they called me (because they love me ) and offered it to us.. potatoes, carrots, onions, green onions, peas, fava beans, beets&greens, what else?
it was a very nice gift from the universe!

also picked up our 20lbs of organic blueberries (the yummiest blueberries ive ever tasted i think) and after shifting things in our freezer found more than enough space, so that's wonderful as well.. im really looking forward to having so many fresh berries over the wonter months.

im snacking on a bowl of steamed fava beans right now.. YUM.

we are leaving tomorrow so trying to figure out all of that.. garden needs watering, hoping a friend will take care of that.. we will be taking our dog rather than leaving him, but my house-sitters found another place to live for the month and honestly im REALLY glad. i didnt really want anyone else living here right now.. so yeah. the universe is unfolding as it should.

off to do more laundry..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

User Tag List