Weekly Chat August 3 ~ August 9 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm usually pretty good about drinking water, but when I notice myself slacking, I put a chart up on the fridge. I usually fill my cup at the fridge water dispenser, so I just tick everytime I fill. I can see throughout the day if i've been drinking enough. After a few days, I remember what "enough" is and I don't need the chart anymore.

you guys might want my summer NOW, but remember we had a June full of rain and highs in the low 60s. It's a trade-off for sure!

my knit night tonight got cancelled I've decided to take advantage and do some shopping I can't/won't do with DS - like getting beads for the bead swap! And finally buying a new bra.

ETA: pregnant lady sneezing while sitting cross legged = time to change the underwear

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#62 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Yeah I would not enjoy 60 and rain for a straight month, for sure. But we had a really snowy winter here as well.. the summer and winter have been very severe. I don't like it! We usually get MAYBE one dusting of snow a year, but this past winter it snowed and snowed FEET of snow and as soon as it would start melting it would snow again... again, miserable! No one is prepared for that kind of snow around here either, so we don't have the right clothes/vehicles/road "fixers" etc... We did have a pretty nice Spring though.. maybe we will have a nice Fall.. that would be perfect.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#63 of 101 Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Fern, enjoy your trip! Enjoy Van - what part does your mom live in?

Karen, our summer has been a lot like yours (which makes sense, since we're on the same coast) - I'm loving the absence of rain right now!

Nic - thanks for the link. I'll check it out later. Once 2.5 yo is asleep, dh and I are off to dinner at an oyster restaurant. Yum!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#64 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the hugs, mamas! We're STILL not sure what's going on or when they'll start our house. I have been working very hard at NOT letting myself get super anxious about it (which is tricky when I've been tending towards anxiety lately, anyway). With lots of prayer, I got through today without too much of a problem - until I talked to my friend's husband who works in the company. He was helpful but not encouraging.

So, we should hear from someone who will, hopefully, be able to actually answer our questions tomorrow. Then we have to decide if we stick with it despite the ever-increasing likelihood that we'd be moving in AFTER baby rather than before. The fact that everything is up in the air right now is just really difficult, so I am hoping for some real answers and the ability to make plans very soon. I've said before that I wouldn't mind having to move twice (into temporary housing and then our new house), and yet I've been totally stuck on moving one time, into our new house, BEFORE baby comes. In reality, I do know baby can be born anywhere. I think I'll be MUCH better off once I figure out where in the world that will be!

Then, maybe I can focus more on the baby and getting ready for him/her to come!

I have friends who have 3 boys, too, with their oldest 3 weeks older than ours, and their youngest a few months younger than our 2yo, plus a surprise on the way. She's due in December, and just found out it's a girl! I knew it was right away, especially when she wrote about being super nauseous for a few weeks. I'm so excited for them, and hoping my prediction of us both getting girls to cap off our families (within weeks of each other!) comes to pass. It would just be SO neat to have our matching broods keep matching!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#65 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM

I hope you get some good news today, Heather. It may be difficult to move with a newborn, but not impossible. But it sure would be nice not to have to move twice. Let us know!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#66 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

ETA: pregnant lady sneezing while sitting cross legged = time to change the underwear
This made me snort-laugh out loud at work!

I can't remember who asked a while ago about the dill pickle soup, but I remembered last night lying awake in bed! haha, these are the things I think about. Anyway, it is one of her DELICIOUS Russian recipes, I can't remember the real name for it but yes! It really does have dill pickles in it! And a lot of fresh dill as well. Basically you make a chicken or beef broth and then add in potatoes, carrots, dill pickles, barley (or rice for me, the GF version), dill... and I think onions? Anything you like, I guess! We always add a dollop of sour cream to the warm bowl of soup, too... so yummy.

My MIL is slowly teaching me to cook, mostly because I am not very cooking-apt. At this point, I want to really start amping up my repertoire of easy meals to make for the family. Hmm, would anybody be interested in a recipe sharing thread?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#67 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm always interested in new recipes!
#68 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Hello all.

FarrenSquare the dill pickle soup sounds delish! I feel bad that I know next to nothing about Russian food. Dh family, on his father's side, came from Russia just a few generations back but most of their heritage was lost because of family strains/drama and so forth. Every so often I think about finding out more about it for the kids because I have TONS of info for them for my side but zilch for dh's... I think I just figured out a great unit study to do with the kids while we wait for their new school stuff.

A recipe exchange sounds GREAT dh has got into a cooking kick here lately and I have been showing him some of my recipes but at the same time I have been really thinking about branching out and learning some new dishes, especially ones that use tons of veggies, we eat waaaay to much meat in our house.

HeatherB I hope it all gets lined out for you guys soon. If you at least knew a 100% sure game plan then that would be a move in the right direction so you could at least plan accordingly. The not knowing always seems the worst. Terrific news about your friends pregnancy though! That sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

... wow I have missed a lot the past few days...
Delicious looking cupcakes! Sifting is wonderful! Yaaaa for peaches and berries still hot from the summer sun and smelling divine. And another great big for fabulous sounding produce found at just the right moment.

Got to ask... what are these beads you guys keep talking about?

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#69 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My stupid eardrum ruptured today at the pool. Again. I had surgery on it 14 years ago.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#70 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM

DH talked to the sales manager today (glad for him to do it and not me this time!), and it wasn't exactly what I'd call positive (as in, they didn't say, "We'll start your house now, build it stat, and get you in by mid-October!!" ), but he did say that he'd get us some REAL answers as far as a timeline for the two possible scenarios that we're left with, so we can look at actual information and decide what to do.

At this point, I'm trying to be okay with the fact that we just won't be in the new house for the birth. I just wish I knew where we were going to be. But, Monday we should have more info so hopefully we can figure it out then.

We're still just squeaking by financially at the moment, and I'm trying to plot out our budget for the next while so I can see when/if we get to start buying baby stuff. I think it will feel MUCH more real then that there's a newbie coming! Of course, it'd be nice if I could have stuff out and around to look at and not all tucked away in the closet, too. Having to be ready at a moment's (ok, 2 hours is our request) notice for showings makes it tough! We really don't want to get more stuff in the house, but, OH for some little newborn things! And a carseat. We need a carseat. And diapers.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#71 of 101 Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Oh, no, kitty! I'm so sorry! I have chronic issues with mine (which ruptured when I was young) and it's flaring right now. I hope it heals up quickly and without any complications! I know dealing with it is just a major pain.

#72 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 AM

Hope you all have a lovely week. I am off on vacation for a week, hopefully we have a nice time and there is not too much smoke from all the forest fires going on near our destination. I'll be the pale, beached whale in a bikini on the beach

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#73 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Farren, it was me who asked about the dill pickle soup - sounds really yummy!

Kitty - Yikes! I hope your ear heals soon - it must be so painful to deal with.

Laura - enjoy your vacation! We have haze here on the Island from the forest fires in the Interior - it sure travels a long way!

Heather - to be positive, YAY for some answers coming your way. You need to know what's up so you can be prepared. I'm glad your dh went and did the asking for you today.

AFM, we had an AWESOME day today - spent the morning at the local (1 hour away) Forestry Museum, where you can ride their steam train and hike their many trails. We had a picnic lunch there, then went to a nearby lake, where we found a park that had a playground, a beach, a wharf, lifeguards, a slide, a diving board, and sand toys to share. We had a BLAST! Yay for holidays and finding new things to do close to home!

#74 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 AM

Laura, have fun!!

Bobbi, that sounds awesome! Reminds me of the steam train in the redwoods near Santa Cruz, CA. We d going up there and riding the train when we lived in the area (for just 6 short months).

I am so grateful for technology! My 8yo is on his second night away from home (first time being with no family whatsoever). The camp he's at is taking pics and posting them daily (not many of him - 4 total so far - but they're good quality and great to see!), the camp leaders are posting updates on FB, and one of them has posted a couple of videos (including one where DS pops in for a minute). I have no idea how parents coped without these sorts of updates. I'm thrilled to know from those who are actually there and with him that he's doing really well and having "the time of his life." So happy for him! I know he's doing things he really loves and making lots of memories! Though now my little boys are both asking to go to camp, too. I'm glad they have to wait a few years!

#75 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

i already posted this in the proper place on mdc but want to share with my ddc as well..

this makes me so angry. we squeeze juice at home too but we do buy some of these types of products for lunch box and on the go etc.
My favorite kind of packaged juice (Honest Kids) isnt on the list, but that means nothing, maybe it just wasnt tested.

http://www.inhabitots.com/2010/06/11...evels-of-lead/

How far do we need to go to protect our children from evil food?!

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#76 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Full list of tested products are on the Envirolaw website:
http://www.envirolaw.org/documents/P...rLeadFINAL.pdf

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#77 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM

:yawning
Ugh, I am so tired today. Have no idea what happened last night, but my little girl (co-sleeper) was restless and wanted to nurse all. night. long. I haven't nursed her that much in ages. I would drift in and out of sleep, but baby must have been restless too because I dreamed I was in labor all night long. Not like a real dream where there was "plot" (for lack of a better word), just annoying little snippets. Luckily the kids did let me sleep in for a while, but I have yet to accomplish anything more than emptying the dishwasher today. We looked at beds for her yesterday, but didn't do any purchasing yet. Might wait for one more paycheck. We knew this was coming up but hadn't planned on having to replace all her flooring first. Sigh. Hate money and house stuff.

Hope that everyone has a nice weekend!
#78 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM

We moved a week ago, and got internet access again yesterday.

The kids are adjusting way better than I'd expected, both to the move in general, sleeping in their own room, and very restricted screentime. DS has spent much of today over playing with the neighbor kids - a totally new experience for him, as there were no kids close enough to go easily see in our old neighborhood (not that there are many here, but he seems to be hitting it off with the ones that are). I think the move will end up being a really good thing for the kids.

I got a bad stomach bug yesterday, which was totally fun. Lost 7lbs in 24 hours, putting me back to about where I was at 16 weeks, and below my pre-pregnancy weight, which I'd just managed to crack this month. I can only assume a good portion of it will come back over the next few days as my digestive tract fills up again. I hope so.

DH has 50 million "urgent" projects (some more truly urgent than others), and is hugely resentful that I don't have as much energy as him, and I think takes me getting sick as a personal affront.

Hopefully meeting with a HB midwife next Friday.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#79 of 101 Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 PM

So, my dad had to admit my mom to the hospital today. It was a very very very long story. But she is having troubles with babbling and being incoherent at times. She has been under incredible stress with my grandmother and possibly her needing to be placed into a nursing home. If anyone is awake this evening and would like to say a prayer, her name is Donna.
#80 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 12:39 AM

(((Donna)))
Ellen, that's really tough.

Welcome back ocelotmom~ sorry that you were sick.. hydrate!! i bet with some good meals you will gain back what you have lost. make sure every bite counts! exciting about the HB midwife!!

ILoveMySofie, wow.. that is scary, maddening stuff..

Heather, yay for happy kids! it sounds like the perfect way to spend summer as a kiddo.. i remember being a camp councellor and the kids all had So much fun.

(((kitty)))) healing vibes to you and your ear!

So we made it.. almost 12 hours of driving and a feverish sad 2 YO..but it wasnt So bad. we picked up a hitchiker (young kid, maybe 18.. trying to get to vancouver with a massive camping pack) so he sat in the front of the van and i sat in the back with the LO's which turned out fine since rue was so sad.. i probably would have ended up back there anyways..we hardly stopped but a few pee breaks..

but we got here at a reasonable time and visited and the kids had a good play and a bath (how exciting!!) and i got a very much needed shower. yum. its nice after so long.. lake swimming is great but nothing like a hot shower we are hoping to find our perfect tub while we are here, got some good possibilities, so once we get home it shouldn't be long till we are bathing in style again

did some retail therapy today.. i didnt actually buy much at all, but window shopped.. living in a small town is Great, but i do like to shop once in a blue moon.

this evening my mom and i went to old navy and i found a few adorable baby things and nothing for me.. they dont have maternity stuff at that location anymore BOO! but that's okay.. picked up a few other cutey things at another store and the NB diaper i wanted for my stash..so things are coming along.

tomorrow we are going to this amazing festival. im hoping the rain will go away, its been wet here today..

monday we have a visit/BBQ dinner date with my grama who is in her late 80s and still rocking her tai chi class!

wednesday we head to vancouver island for a few days visit with my other grands and my dad, and our van has a check up set up with the guys who specialize in our vehicle (right hand drive, diesel, Japanese import van)

busy busy!

hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#81 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Ellen

Have fun, MamaFern! Sounds exciting!

I heard about the juice thing. I'm pretty sure nothing is safe or sacred anymore every time I read the news. There's always something for me to freak out about. Good thing we almost never drink juice!

#82 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Hey Fern, if you're going to be in Victoria, give me a shout!

We had rain today, which was fine (it has been the 2nd driest July on record - only 1 mm of rain all month!), except that the kids were like caged animals. We finally all went for a walk to the grocery store (in the rain - took 2 hours, but was fun except for all the BH I endured going there and back) so I could buy the ingredients to make a peach tart, which was delicious. Dh made wild mushroom risotto for dinner, which was also delicious, but the kids weren't that thrilled.

I think they're all asleep now (including dh - he's the one to put our 2.5 yo dd to bed, and he hasn't emerged yet, which means I'm finishing the dishes on my own ).

How was everyone else's day?

#83 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Just a heads up I posted a question on our Facebook page in the FYI details discussion, those that are part of the group (bead swap) please weigh in opinions!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#84 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kidlets and me View Post

How was everyone else's day?
Craptastic.

#85 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Been a rather long day for me here. Today is dh's and mine 12th wedding anniversary. I spent it by driving down to be with my mom and dad while she is at the hospital. Not exactly how I envisioned this date. My mom is in a pretty rough state and is still at the hospital. So far all the tests have revealed nothing. Tomorrow she is scheduled to an EEG with the thought that possibly she is having some type of seizure. I'm not even sure exactly how to explain it except that she keeps rambling in sentence fragments. None of it makes sense. My sister is flying in tomorrow, so I'll probably drive home for at least an overnight or more there. Tonight is the first night that I've ever been away from my little girl - the one who co-sleeps and is not yet weaned. I'm a little heartbroken over that too. This is so not the way that I want her to wean. Sorry that I am such a downer - I'm having my own little pity party here tonight. However, I am glad to have all you special women in my life...people who may not know my face but who think of me in a kind way. Thanks for being out in the cyber world somewhere.
#86 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Hugs, Ellen. I hope you and your dh have a special anniversary celebration when you're back from visiting your mom.

#87 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 PM

((hugs)) Ellen...

I just purchased my birth beads finally! I found the perfect ones.. they are a gemstone but I'll save the surprise for when they arrive.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#88 of 101 Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Ellen. It is so hard being torn between the family you were born into and the one you made. I can relate - I skipped out on my honeymoon to see my mom, who ended up in ICU a couple of days before the wedding. It wasn't the way I'd wanted to start my marriage, but DH is a totally understanding guy I hope your mom gets better soon.

My week has kind of sucked, thanks to the three Ps - pinworms, PUPPs and pelvic pain. At least none of them are very bad, more annoying at the moment. And I just seem to be exhausted lately. By the end of the day, I'm ready to drop, my feet are killing me...and I'm only 24 weeks. *sigh* AND my DH is still home for the summer. I hestitate to think what things will be like when I have to keep DS occupied all day by myself again. Methinks the TV will be on a lot more than it has been lately

ETA: Nearly forgot, I rear-ended someone with the new car today. Luckily it was at 2MPH, and the only damage was a broken reflector. But still. Indicative of how I feel things have been going.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#89 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 AM

((((everyone who needs))))

im tired. my feet hurt.. im glad the day is over. it was good..and weird. the festival we went to has been going on a long time and its kind of a meeting place for a whole group of people i knew once-upon -a-time when i was pretty into social activism.. its strange to see so many of the same people 10 years later still pretty much the same..and me with almost 4 kiddos.. some had LO's but not many.. its like a different world. not one i miss either.
so yeah. the music was great though!

i also found a very gently used german made infant seat on craigslist today for a good price. i had asked a friend to borrow one, but this one sounded too good to pass up. its really nice, neutral blue with a boot and everything..they have pretty strict rulkes in germany about toxins and things so i know its safe in those regards too. which i love.
so i picked that up this am.
sadly the perfect tub we found on craigslist had been stolen from the carport of the people we were going to buy it from..so the search for our clawfoot tub continues.. we didnt find that out till we had driven across the city to get it. argh...they hadnt noticed till they went to show us.

anyways, bed is calling my name.. hoping for a quiet day tomorrow

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#90 of 101 Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Karen

Ellen

Stole the tub, MamaFern? That's crazy! I love clawfoot tubs, so good luck looking!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page