Weekly Chat August 3 ~ August 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ANOTHER WEEK DOWN

Yes indeed, another week just flew away, never to be seen again. Some of us are about to enter THIRD trimester. How did that happen? It seems just yesterday we were talking about being 11 weeks and was that movement we were feeling?

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 AM

Hi!

I'm beat... Tomorrow is Miss Sage's birthday. I had to cook up lots of food plus cupcakes for our family (all of our family) dinner tomorrow. My sciatic nerve has not been happy with me all day... the movement has helped but now that I'm sitting again it's making itself known... along with my exhaustion. I need to clean up the kitchen now and hope I'm motivated tomorrow morning to do the last minute picking up. Guess I should get moving.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

as usual-thanks for making me crave something. Cupcakes are so out of reach right this second...what kind are they. Describe them to me.

LOL.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 AM

Ooooh they are very FUN cupcakes... they are tie dyed in appearance. They look awesome but were a lot of work to make (could have been more work though!) I'll post some pics tomorrow but I'll give you the basic run down of what I did.

First I bought 2 boxes of white cake mix. I normally make all cakes from scratch but I've never made a white cake and I wasn't about to practice so close to her birthday, lol. I followed the instructions for making that... then I separated the cake batter into 6 bowls. I added red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel color to a bowl for each color. I then drizzled it into the cupcake liner... some were r,o,y,g,b,p and some were p,b,g,y,o,r they turned out way funky! Sage requested purple frosting so I made some of that up with cool whip (eww... I never buy that crap!!!) and some white chocolate flavored pudding (this actually sounded quite yummy in comparison to vanilla) and mixed them together, put some purple in the frosting and stuck it in the fridge to frost the cupcakes tomorrow. I usually make my frosting from scratch as well but thought I'd give this a try... the frosting is actually quite yummy, it's got a butter cream type flavor and texture going on.

I found room in the fridge for the Sloppy Joes which are also AWESOME. The deviled eggs... (which are stinking up the fridge but they are delish so it's all good!) My fridge is jam packed with stuff for tomorrow. I need to get started on that kitchen.. but I was fretting over having agreed to let Kyle (my oldest) stay the night at a 'new' friend's house. I only had a roundabout location for the kid... no address, no last name, hadn't spoke with either parent... it just felt really wrong and I couldn't relax not knowing. So I called Kyle up and talked with the mother who gave me all the pertinent info. I kept thinking... what the hell kind of mother lets her kid just roam like that?! I was so distracted when he asked though... anyway.. I feel better and now I really, really need to clean the kitchen and grab some sleep. I'm definitely done!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh, thank you for the brilliant rainbow cupcake tutorial! Little dd would just LOVE that!! Filing it away for future.
Luckily I found a chocolate bar in the kitchen...someone brought it over last week and I forgot all about it. So I'm eating that thinking about cupcakes.
Have a great day tomorrow! Happy Birthday to Sage! And I may rob your fridge at night...

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Happy Birthday Sage!!

I can't believe my little one will be celebrating a birthday this month..

Not much exciting going on here this week.. we are determined to get the master bathroom done this weekend.. DH is out of town the rest of this week. But Monday, I FINALLY get to meet with my new Midwife!!!! Now that I'm almost in the 3rd trimester..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I shouldn't be farting around online, have a park play date at 10am & want to swing by the CSA to get some extras on the way...but at least breakfast is in the oven!

Turkey moved around A LOT last night, DS continued to cough & toss/turn, but I think he slept better than he has in a couple of nights. All I could think about was sex last night & almost woke DP like 50 times, but didn't. I should have just had a quickie so I could have gone back to sleep. And then our woodpecker started pecking the front of the house just outside my bedroom window. I wonder how roasted woodpecker would taste? Maybe pretty sweet from all of the sap they eat...

August is going quickly! Less than a month left of the pool - I always wish it would stay open through September, goddess knows it's hot enough.

Gotta run, BBL. I know there will be a million posts by this afternoon - you chatty ladies!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Hey everyone! I'm still in disbelief that it is August already...tomorrow I will be at 27 weeks! What!? How did that happen so fast!?

It is miserably hot here...high of 102 Farenheit yesterday, with humidity to match. They are forecasting 101 for today, so I'm sure the heat index will be off the charts again. I've been getting up early to walk the dog before the sun gets too high. Otherwise, she and I will stay in as much as possible today! I feel so bad for people who actually have to work outside in this heat. It's really not healthy.

I got two huge boxes from my SIL yesterday. One weighed 25 lbs and the other 40 lbs! She has been having waaaaay too much fun at garage sales buying baby stuff. She doesn't have one of her own yet, but she loves finding stuff for everyone else. So, now I have a bunch of extra crib sheets, an indoor/outdoor playpen (which DH thought was very cool), a bouncy seat and bathtub, and a TON of baby clothes to sort through. The clothes range in size from newborn to 18 mos. so I'm planning to go through them and sort by size and season. Then I can put them in boxes and label what's what so that it will all be ready when I need it! I feel very blessed to have been given so much for this baby already. We really only "need" a few things now, and we'd be all set. Makes me feel much more prepared, which is good. The Lord just keeps providing for all our needs!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Had to drive 90 minutes away in 100 degree weather in a van with no a/cand one working window yesterday. Omfg it was horrible. I almost had a heat stroke. Then dh was on the phone for most of the u/s. I am in a horrible godawful mood and have tried my best not to cry continuously since yesterday. I stayed up late to clean and organize my library, it was that bad.

In other news, not taking liquid chlorophyll again. Mw told me to start taking it and it thoroughly and very painfully cleared me out lastnight for about 3-4 hours. So that has not improved my mood at all.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Those cupcakes sound so cool. I need to start planning for my Son's birthday over labor day weekend. I haven't actually thrown him a party but this is his fourth birthday and he is ready for a little party. Usually we've just had cake at the house with my parents and sister. My husband's cousins will be staying with us for that weekend which will be fun because their son is 5 and their daughter is almost 3 so our kids like to play. I am going to invite his preschool friends too, probably the whole class. I dont' think that many will come especially with it being over a holiday weekend. We went to one of his classmates' parties and only 3 kids from there class came to the party. Any cool ideas for a 4th birthday party at home?

We went to VA for the weekend to see my FIL and his wife, which included the same old, ongoing family drama. Basically we both reached the point that it is just a waste of time going to visit. On the plus side my husband and I went tubing on the Shenadoah and my husband spent one morning golfing with his dad. We also got two bins of baby clothes and the co-sleeper that they had in storage from before we bought our house.

On the way back we stopped for lunch and then continued driving to Gettysburg where we stopped at the park. I realized I didn't have my purse so we called the place we stopped for lunch and had to backtrack to get it. Luckily my purse was there and everything was in it. But it added 2 hours to our trip home.

I have to go back to work tonight, boo. It is always so much harder to go to work after having a break.

I have my first appointment with my new midwifery practice on the 10th. I have to get my records from the OB practice where they are charging $1 a page. Ridiculous. So I asked how much it would be. $15 for the current pregnancy and then $30 for the previous history. That previous history is all the records I brought to them. They can make their own copy and give me my records back. So glad I am leaving that practice.

I am really starting to feel huge and can't believe I have four months of just expanding. I am counting down until I can go out on maternity leave, although I'll probably try to push it as close to my due date as I can handle for financial reasons. Although it will be a relief to know I could stop working.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Kittywitty, BOO for vans with no a/c. That sounds downright dangerous right now!

I'm also in disbelief that the 3rd tri is just around the corner (though I'm only 25 weeks tomorrow). Dh and I were discussing this just last night. Being pregnant over the summer this time really made the time fly. So, I finished with my round of steroids and am much better, though my rash is not completely gone. Sigh. I really don't want to do another round and am just keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep going away on its own. I've had more general anxiety with this baby for some reason, and this had not helped me. I'm just convinced that I'm going to go early.

So, the babysitting job has been going well. It's a bit of a transition for all of us, me, my kids, her kids, but certainly no major problems. Though I will say again and again that I am looking forward to the older 2 going off to school in a couple weeks. The nice part is that I have dh home to help until school starts for him too (the same time) and he HAS been helpful too , reading books and if it would ever dry out, taking them all out to the playground. Well, dd is demanding that we look at baby gear online - she likes to do this more that I do!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Those cupcakes sound really cool Nic! Happy birthday to Sage!

Ugh, kittywitty, sorry about the horrid heat van ride! ick!

Tired, tired, tired... yeah that sums me up right now. And how did it become August already? Geez! lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Happy birthday Sage! & you too Nic!

IloveMySofie, thanks for the new thread! i saw the old one and came to start one, but here it is. yay! I love when the new thread comes.. It makes time feel like its going that much faster. mostly I love that

lady cathernine: bathroom completion energy coming your way! I need some of that too.. last night we were at SIL's and my kids REALLY wanted a bath, but it was getting too late by the time we got to that and we ended up just going home.. *sigh* a bathtub would be nice right about now..
and yay! on the new midwife, hope it all goes perfectly!

lemon: that sounds like a lot of fun to go through!! I love baby things

missagoat: sorry about the family drama and the purse expedition.. no fun
but exciting about the new midwifery practice! i was feeling huge a few weeks ago now im not at all..so i think im due for a major growth spurt any moment!

ellen, im also convinced that i will go early.. late october early.. but we shall see... its just a feeling and most of my feelings have been right on, but not all but really, all you can do is take good care of yourself.. once you are at 36 weeks its pretty smooth sailing..so keep that number in mind and dont worry too much!!
have fun searching baby gear

AFM:

spent yesterday afternoon on the beach.. knit most of a hat before that... didnt do any other house work except move living-room furniture around again.. im nesting, that's for sure. i plan to knit, eat breakfast, drink tea, do house chores then knit more today.. its august afterall!

sounds like our going to the coast (yep, bobbi vancouver city) might be slightly delayed, which is okay i gues.. i hate making plans then having them all change but this is out of my power.. so ill just make do and get a few more things done before we go.. that way ill be just a wee bit closer to being ready for baby because when we get back i will be almost 30 weeks

ok.. off to be productive..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Have to run to get ready for work, but "Hi" to everybody!!!

I saw my CNM yesterday and everything looks great. 25wks 3d today.

Were going camping this weekend and my mind is in a whirl because we haven't started getting stuff together and I'm working this afternoon/eve and DH is working tomorrow. We're supposed to leave Friday morning!

Wish me luck...!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Ooooh they are very FUN cupcakes... they are tie dyed in appearance.
NO WAY!! Really? I was just day-dreaming about making tie-dyed cupcakes for dd2's 2nd b-day. Yes, definitely post pics!! And...happy birthday, Sage!!

We're headed out to go house-hunting now with all 5 kids in tow. Thank goodness dh is a real estate agent so we can see places at our own pace. The thought of moving before this babe comes is making my head spin.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM

So when exactly does the 3rd trimester start? Is it 27 weeks? If so I'm there Saturday!

Thanks MamaFern! Luckily, I get to do the fun stuff like picking out shelves/curtains while DH does all of the not-so-fun stuff like painting and fixing the walls. But, I have to do it with DS in tow, so he stays out of Daddy's way..

The weather is supposed to be nice here this weekend! 89 for the high I think.. I'm so tired of this 100-degree stuff!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Ooh, rainbow cupcakes. Fun! My mom always used to make us marble cakes for our birthday, chocolate, white and mint (in green or pink).

I find it interesting that as I round the curve into my third trimester I'm actually starting to feel better? I spent my entire 2nd tri waiting to feel like anything better than a slug, and now that I'm getting into what is traditionally the hardest part, I'm feeling pretty darn good! Hey, I'm not complaining, maybe by the time November rolls around I'll feel like a million bucks. I'd just like to see that!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
So when exactly does the 3rd trimester start? Is it 27 weeks? If so I'm there Saturday!

my midwife says 28 weeks..or the end of the 27th week.. not 27 weeks as in the end of the 26th.. confusing?

im going with the start of the 28th week, so for me that will be the 16th of august~!

well, im off to pick raspberries.. my friends just called and want to go..here is hoping it doesn't get too hot and that I pick a TON. i want lots of yummy home-made jam this winter!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM

My MDC newsletter that arrived in my email inbox this morning says, 27 weeks is the start of the third tri...so did my doctor... there's always some disagreement, you'd think everybody could get on the same darn page!!

Taking a mini break.... I need to bathe both Sage and myself (yay for shared showers!) and then last minute living room pick up, frost cupcakes and then I am good to go for the day. woohoo. I'm tired. Hoping for a burst of energy soon.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

kittywitty--soooo sorry about the awful day you had yesterday. It was definitely too hot to be driving around without a/c! And today is the same...I hope you can stay inside and keep cool today. You'll feel a million times better!

Forgot to mention earlier that I probably won't be around much the rest of the week. DH has an important work-related meeting that we'll be attending tomorrow...and our 6th anniversary is this Saturday, so DH and I are trying to think of something fun to do to celebrate. It will be our last ann. as just the two of us for a looooong time!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Good luck, Nic! I will have to try some rainbow cupcakes, too. Sounds cool.

birthdancedoula-Good luck house hunting! I hate taking the kids to look. Mine would just run around the place in circles while I worried about them breaking stuff.

I have an old friend from high school coming down tomorrow. I'm excited! She teaches prenatal yoga and has had homebirths and folks like that are rare in these parts, so it's going to be exciting seeing an old friend *and* someone like-minded!

The kids are begging to go to the pool, but I'm still trying to cool down from yesterday. No way you're getting me out there!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Kittywitty - good to hear that today is going to be better than yesterday!!

And thanks everyone for hugs and support from the last thread. I know I should get something set up for that pp depression, but the counselor I really connected with last time I was struggling, about 4 years ago, has recently moved away. I don't really connect with anyone else at that office, or the lady my doctor has tried connecting me with (she is a psychiatrist and is constantly trying to get me on meds - not something I am interested in atm).

I'm just taking a break to eat my a.m. snack and looking in my lunchkit makes me so happy. I have:
-a yogurt smoothie (all organic made at home with blueberries & rasperries!)
-two yogurt cups
-two hardboiled eggs
-a big tupperware of org. blueberries
-dill pickle soup my MIL made for me!
-a GF muffin with strawberry cream cheese
-an apple
-a juice box
-a small spinach salad
-some really yummy rice crackers
-a really big water bottle I refill over the day

People at work make fun of my lunch kit! It is a small beer cooler, lol.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Farren, I like your lunch kit! I do something similar on Saturdays when I work at the shop. And thinking maybe I'd eat better if I did something like that every day!

Just got back from the midwives. The baby us doing GREAT, but I defintely have PUPPs They want me to take dandelion root for that - they say they've had people get rid of PUPPs with it, so I hope it helps me! Still doing hydrocortisone cream for the itching. they also recommended Black Walnut tincture for the pinworms, so I'll start that now and add the DE as soon as I can get some.

DS slept over 11hours last night, after taking the Vermox and starting amoxicillin. Phew! I hope he continues to feel better!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Farren, I like your lunch kit! I do something similar on Saturdays when I work at the shop. And thinking maybe I'd eat better if I did something like that every day!

Just got back from the midwives. The baby us doing GREAT, but I defintely have PUPPs They want me to take dandelion root for that - they say they've had people get rid of PUPPs with it, so I hope it helps me! Still doing hydrocortisone cream for the itching. they also recommended Black Walnut tincture for the pinworms, so I'll start that now and add the DE as soon as I can get some.

DS slept over 11hours last night, after taking the Vermox and starting amoxicillin. Phew! I hope he continues to feel better!
So sorry to hear about that PUPPPS, that just stinks. Maybe the dandelion root will really work for you too.

But I am glad that your ds is doiing better!

Hang in there!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

back from raspberry picking with another 2 buckets (probably close to 20 lbs) some are being frozen on trays right now for smoothies ect..and others are beind frozen in big bags in wait to be jam! we also had a quick yummy swim in the lake.. now i think ill knit... though i should probably get on the dishes and laundry (blah!)

karen: s hope that the remedies help fast!

Quote:

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Dying of jealousy about your raspberries!

about the PUPPS, Karen. Hopefully the dandelion root helps!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Raspberries! My parents sold their house with a giant raspberry patch. There goes my free supply We are going to the Okanagan next week for vacation though, so I'm hoping to fill up on lots of fresh fruit.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
Raspberries! My parents sold their house with a giant raspberry patch. There goes my free supply We are going to the Okanagan next week for vacation though, so I'm hoping to fill up on lots of fresh fruit.

aww~ im fortunate to have farmer friends with way too many! plus they ripen every few days, so you just have to keep picking them till the season is over and they have gone away for a few days.. so lucky me~ i do feel very blessed.

Quote:

Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM

So it looks like I am out on Maternity leave as of now.

I went to work tonight and I was laid off along with about 200 other employees. I feel better that it was part of a lay off and not based on performance.

I am reeling a little, but not too bad. It isn't a terrible time to take some time off although we have to figure out the finances. I have to apply for unemployment. I just started this job in June, so I am kinda po'd that they hired people only to lay them off. I left another job for this job. Thankfully we just switched to my husband's health insurance in July when I switched jobs. I might go back to school and use my GI bill benefits. I am calling my old boss in the morning, I guess.

C'est la vie!

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 AM

MisaGoat, so sorry to hear! I can't believe they hired you to let you go, I'd be PO'd about that, too.

I love the free raspberries that summer brings! Dimitri's brother has a bush he started back when he was in university and worked on an organic farm, now it is HUGE! We pick about two yogurt containers a week. Mm, last week I sprinkled on some organic cane sugar and made a delicious syrup for our icecream. So bad for me, I know! But soooo good.

So I pretty much spent my entire day at work reading about breastfeeding and ended up finding all these beautiful essays and blogs about it. It has made me so excited to breastfeed! Which is good because for a long time I was quite nervous about it. I'm starting to learn this "trust in your body to know how to be a mother" thing, I think.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10

User Tag List