Weekly chat August 10-16 ~ it's mid-August! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies!

I thought I must have missed the new chat thread, since last week's was so quiet today. But I don't see one, so here we are

I hope everyone is out enjoying the day and too busy to get online

Karen

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 106 Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the new thread, mama!!

This week is already off to a busy start for us. I've been cramming for my big exam almost everyday, taking breaks to knit sweet baby stuff in between. I take my exam next week and I'm sooo nervous about it. I have major test anxiety I hope doesn't trip me up. If I pass though I'll have my master's in nursing!

We also went van shopping this week, too. We think we may have found a nice one, except its huge. We need the room but gosh, it felt like I was driving a small school bus, LOL. We really wanted to run biodiesel but diesels are so hard to come by in what we're looking for so we settled on a flex-fuel van instead. We're going to pick it up next week.

I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow. I ordered my birth kit stuff a few days ago (which always excites me!) but still have a list a mile long of things I want to accomplish before November. Once I have this exam behind me I plan on getting in lots of sewing and baby knitting time!

Have a great week, mamas!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#3 of 106 Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 PM

the weeks are going by So fast!

we are still away from home..mostly having fun..kind of stressful and overwhelming going from small town to large city in one day..but its just a short time at least.

my eldest DS and i just spent the afternoon today window shopping and having lunch together.. that was fun. dp took our girls to visit one of his old friends.

im hoping for a relaxing evening. im still feeling kind of crampy.

oh, i found some bamboo muslin wraps that im going to pick up later. i love craigslist!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 106 Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Here's hoping for a better week here for everybody!

We've had a bit of a glimmer of hope on my mom. They re-read or somebody else read or whatever her EEG results and now think that maybe she really has been having undetectable seizures. She's taken 1 (THAT'S ONE) dose of the anti-seizure med and my dad and sister thinks that she can recognize where she is and maybe even some of what recently happened. It's such a drastic change from the person I left yesterday, even though she still is incredibly confused. That little bit of hopeful news sent me over the edge...all of this coupled with my raging hormones has been really wild. I told my husband that I was too afraid to even hope. Still trying to figure out when I can get back down there.

In baby news, this little girl has been WILD this week. I swear that she is trying to push my hipbones (especially the left one) farther apart. No, baby, no! They're wide enough! And I've been feeling the hiccups again. I'm really getting to the point that I want to have a few more things ready - car seat and bouncy seat are on that list. But I also keep hoping that some well meaning relative will send us a little money first!
#5 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM

" Once I have this exam behind me I plan on getting in lots of sewing and baby knitting time!"
Oh I have a question for you! How on earth do you find the time to go to school and knit and sew and you have 5 kids! I have one child and I never seem to have time!!!!!

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#6 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 AM

I'm soooooooo burning jealous of all of you that have 'good' thrift stores and craigslist. The stuff around here really sucks and it's one of those things that you have to keep going like every day to find anything good. I don't have the time for that, lol. I do need to keep my eye out for some baby stuff, maybe I'll make a trip...

I was pricing birth kit stuff (the stuff I want in mine at least), and some of it is cheaper online but then there is shipping fees, lol. Although more convenient I suppose because it's all there and I can just get it all at the same time. Right? I want to get that out of the way!!! I bought a bag of newborn sposies, I plan on cloth diapering this baby but I know the first week or so I want to rest as much as possible. I don't trust hubby to follow my wash routine so I figured it would just be easier for me to use sposies for the very early days. I can't believe how tiny the diapers are... so little.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#7 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
I'm soooooooo burning jealous of all of you that have 'good' thrift stores and craigslist. The stuff around here really sucks and it's one of those things that you have to keep going like every day to find anything good. I don't have the time for that, lol. I do need to keep my eye out for some baby stuff, maybe I'll make a trip...

I was pricing birth kit stuff (the stuff I want in mine at least), and some of it is cheaper online but then there is shipping fees, lol. Although more convenient I suppose because it's all there and I can just get it all at the same time. Right? I want to get that out of the way!!! I bought a bag of newborn sposies, I plan on cloth diapering this baby but I know the first week or so I want to rest as much as possible. I don't trust hubby to follow my wash routine so I figured it would just be easier for me to use sposies for the very early days. I can't believe how tiny the diapers are... so little.

its like that in my town demeter, really mostly junky stuff, its only city thrifting that's good and i only have a few days so im trying to stock up now. so far so good!

i bought 2 brands of newborn disposables yesterday.. both "green" and naturalish ones. they are SO tiny and cute. one package is just white with tiny green leave sall over and the others are white with a band across the front with snails and butterflies.. ect. pretty sweet for throw away ones
i do plan to CD but for the first few poops i like disposables and they do come in handy when out & about.

and there are some things that are def. cheaper online. i found a place in canada that ships for free in canada and carries all of the weleda baby products a LOT less expensive than any stores ive seen. im going to do an order next month. you just have to search around a bit

im wiped. my hip hurts (right side) and my RLP is back again. i need another adjustment..
otherwise looking forward to going home in a few or 6 days. i really love my life in kaslo..coming to the city confirms that.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 AM

For super successful shopping trips!
We also live in a town that doesn't have much in way of good stuff at the thrift stores especially not for babies. We have to make a trip to our own big city (at least to us ) on the 24th for A's endocrinologist appointment so you guys have totally given me inspiration to wait for online purchasing until after I hit the thrift stores there.

Ellen that is terrific news about your mother I really really hope that the medicine continues to improve her condition.

My almost 2 year old little girl is now officially day time potty trained. I can hardly believe it! It's like something in her head just clicked and away she went with it. Got to say this has been the easiest potty training experience of my mommy life. I take ZERO credit for it, it is 100% just her thing. We are hoping though that this might encourage her older brother, who has some special needs, to start using the potty. He tends to mimic her a lot so we are hoping he will maybe just maybe make the switch as well. It would be beyond awesome to have only the baby babies in diapers once they get here.

My oldest has decided she wants to get dreadlocks, she has been thinking on it off and on for about 2 years so I trust her decision. She wants me to do them for her this weekend but honestly I dont know if I can handle sitting still that long... maybe span it out over a couple of days?

On a really sad worry me to death front my niece is having some complications with her pregnancy.... I'm starting to really worry for her. She went back to the practice today and after the ultrasound there was enough concern that they are sending her a few hours north to the big city hospital for some more testing. She has a single umbilical artery and the babies size isn't looking so good. She will be 29 weeks, they are not 100% positive about the date but pretty sure, this Thursday. This would be her and my nephews first baby they are both pretty young (19 and 20) so my heart is breaking for them, we are still holding on to hope and faith that everything will be ok.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#9 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 04:24 AM

NO WAY its time for a new thread already Um, i just started a new thread, like yesterday where is the time going?? Oh but I like it!!!

Ellen-I hope something really good happens with your mama

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#10 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is NOT mid-August. I repeat, it is NOT mid-August. Seriously, I am not at all ready to skip ahead even a few days!

Ellen, I hope you continue to get good news about your mom!

I am getting lots of hip/pelvic kicks/pushes - the most annoying! I like it much better when baby moves around up high, but that feeling of baby-on-bone is NOT so much fun!

We're still totally in limbo on our house and I'm trying not to go crazy about it. We have one avenue to explore that might allow us to drop the contingency and have them start right away. That would get us in early December. I've told DH, I'd much rather move with a 2 week old than miss the holidays and my family coming in and my 30th birthday in my new house. I am praying for favor in all of this and for answers SOON! Still, we could always end up selling this house sooner than later and then be in temporary housing. But I think my strong preference is to just stay here until we move (regardless of to whom we sell). I just can't currently imagine birthing in a hotel room or an apartment. I've said in the past that it would be fine, and I'm sure if that is what's necessary that it'll be okay... But it just seems wrong at the moment. I just want answers. Sigh.

I really need to list some stuff on craigslist, perhaps tomorrow. We have an older (2005) Peg high chair that we don't use that I've had cleaned and ready to go for, um, long enough I need to clean it again! We just got our pod-type storage unit taken off the property, so we had to get those sorts of things out. Now to *really* get rid of them. Living in a major metro area certainly does help when it comes to those sorts of resources!

Gotta finish my middle-of-the-night snack and then get in bed. Hopefully my SI join and hip will let me sleep tonight! Last night was not so fun.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#11 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 AM

I'll join some of the rest of you with stinky craigslist and thrift shops. There is a Goodwill in town but I have never found anything worthwhile there. And there is also a resale shop that I have NO idea how it stays in business because the stuff is way overpriced. In my mom's area, the thrift stores are good and the garage sales are REALLY awesome, but I doubt that I have time for that for a while. I think the few things that I want I'd actually like them to be new. Car seat of course needs to be new. A bouncy wouldn't have to be, but knowing the things that happened in the bouncy that I had with my other kids......well, I might like that to be new too. I'd take a used carrier/wrap/sling of some kind but they seem few and far between. Still thinking about grabbing a hotslings online since they will be gone soon.
#12 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Huh... mid August already... that means I'm going to be 29 in two weeks... weird. lol

I think I got a pretty good deal on my birth supplies. I had some stuff that I didn't need to get, like a peri bottle from my first birth, and I randomly had a paper tape measure too! My pack rat ways paid off! lol So since I was saving $30, I splurged and added on a 100% organic cotton "Born at Home into loving hands" onesie.

I'm getting really excited and antsy for labor and birth. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#13 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
for your niece, SashaBreeze

We have a Salvation Army and a couple little local thrift stores. Nobody uses our semi-local craigslist (for this *half* of the state!). So I'm really jealous of people who find good deals. Sometimes when we travel to see my mom in the big city we find good things at Goodwill, but I almost never find stuff here.

I just want to say I am not enjoying my RLP and SPD hindering dtd. I already feel 9 months pregnant.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#14 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

okay, i feel i must get in this thread before it gets too big -- i have not joined a weekly discussion yet because i'm always too late!

i have not had the opportunity to go thrift-store shopping for baby yet, although our town has plenty and it would be fun! my hubby is in police academy so is gone from noon-->10pm on weekdays.

i have been having a very rough time lately with my lack of energy and the other 4 children being so...high energy? and the heat is awful (heat index over 100 every day...sometimes as high as 110), and i have heat tolerance problems, so i have been wanting to do nothing more than hide out in the house, while my children want me to take them to the pool or the skate park...NOT happening, i'm just TOO TIRED! i can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit so i can take them to OTHER places to get all that pent-up energy out.

that reminds me...i need to go to the YMCA and register the older 3 for their after-"school" program (they are homeschooled ) that starts in a few weeks. they will go Tue-Wed-Thu from 2pm-6pm...just to get them out of the house and give me a break while they socialize (some of our neighborhood kids go there) and do various activities... looking forward to putting worn-out children to bed in the next few weeks!! and it is relatively affordable considering the number of hours and different activities they will get to do. we have an overpayment credit on the utility bill that will hopefully last us til the new year (if we're lucky!), and the "Fun Club" bill is the same or less than what we were paying for utilities (WIN!).

i guess that gives me some hope; some light at the end of this gawd-awful summertime tunnel. soon i will have the opportunity to run all those errands or just put my feet up relatively guilt-free -- or maybe catch up on the chores! ha! all with just my sweet 2yo underfoot...he's NOTHING compared to the older 3; so independent and flexible... doesn't argue much (except for typical 2yo stuff). the "terrible twos" is such a joke to me now that i have the combo of children that i have... MAN they wear me out. i look forward to not being such a whale in a few months! LOL

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#15 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM

That after school program sounds nice. Wish we had a YMCA!

#16 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I already feel 9 months pregnant.
I am right there with you. With DS, other than the first several months of being nauseous, I felt great. Even carrying a 9 lb baby in the dead of summer (he's an end of August baby) and going almost 2 weeks past my "due date." And I have almost THREE MORE MONTHS of this!? Really hoping the cool weather starts soon... like, September 1st.. We've had heat index of 100+ almost everyday here too. It is supposed to be a little cooler this weekend (only 90...) so at least we will get some relief.. we are supposed to go camping next weekend and I am REALLY hoping for decent weather.. if it is going to be too hot we may not go.. but I would hate to miss out, my whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents..) go, and it is on a lake and it is so much fun.

My pelvis is still hurting on and off.. different areas of it at different times in the day. Boo.

Oh, yesterday on TLC they had a Homebirth on A Baby Story.. It was so amazing, I was bawling.. I am so excited to be able to do that this time!!!!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#17 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Every time I squat down (like to sit on the toilet) my pubic/pelvic area crackles and pops. I want to say that it should be painful BUT it actually feels kinda nice, it relieves some of the discomfort I have in that area, lol. I find myself actually trying to recreate it every time I use the potty.

#18 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Mark me for another who feels 9 months already and is like, seriously 3 months left? That can't be for real! LOL So different with DD, I wasn't done with the pregnancy until mid 8th month at least.

I had to post because I see my belly squirming all over under my shirt from DS doing something or other in there! I don't remember being able to see DD on the outside at this time. He's always pushing against the front so much! lol

LadyCatherine185, I've been getting so emotional while watching homebirths or reading homebirth stories. This will be my first homebirth too, and there really aren't enough words to describe how happy I am about this coming together and the overwhelming feeling of peace I have about it. Very different already from the anxiety I had about DD's hospital birth.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#19 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Every time I squat down (like to sit on the toilet) my pubic/pelvic area crackles and pops. I want to say that it should be painful BUT it actually feels kinda nice, it relieves some of the discomfort I have in that area, lol. I find myself actually trying to recreate it every time I use the potty.
Mine cracks at times too, and it feels so good! I can't figure out how to do it on purpose though..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#20 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Wait, what? I'm not 9 months yet? But I FEEEEEEEL like I'm 9 months!

I can't believe it's mid-August either. Sheesh. I hope September is unseasonably cool. I've had ENOUGH of mid-90 weather & humidity, ENOUGH.

Funny you all should talk about thrifting. I had a sudden urge to go thirfting yesterday - not just for baby, but for my bigger kids too. I've been rearranging dressers & have realized how little Dd1 really has. Dd2 is okay because she gets hand-me-downs from Dd1, but Ds is also really low on clothes. Plus, I'm a thrift store addict.

I had my mw appt this morning. The Turkey's heart sounded strong. He's in some strange position where he kicks my left side & punches my right side simultaneously. If I hadn't seen one single baby in there with my very eyes, I'd be inclined to think there were more...

I *think* Ds is getting better. He had 3 more coughing attacks last night where he couldn't breathe. He had his third dose of abx this morning. I guess I expected him to feel better immediately with the abx, but apparently it can take 3-4 days. I want my little boy back. he's been getting into mischief since yesterday, so I think he must be feeling better.

I need to go nest. I keep looking at things & making mental notes to tackle them - and I get really excited about it.

We're getting a new roof & the roofers keep blowing the fuse, so I keep having to reset the fuse box. Every time is goes off, we lose internet, cable & a/c. And then I reset it & I have to then reset all of the clocks in the house.

Alrighty chatty mama friends, I'm off to clean and reorganize something.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#21 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I had a coherent conversation with my mother today!
#22 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Hey ladies- just quietly reading along while at work. Not much is new with me these days. Still have a sore back, still have to get up 3-4 times a night to pee, still struggle to get out of bed gracefully. hahaha.

I'm a HUUUGE fan of thrift stores. I buy 90% of my wardrobe there, and I've found so many cute little sleepers and onesies at our local Value Village. We've managed to get so much for free or nearly free thanks to kijiji, freecycle, and family friends. I love it.

SashaBreeze - How exciting that your oldest wants dreadlocks! How old is she? Does she have a friend or family member to guide her through the process? I've had mine for 9 years now if you have any questions, I love them! I can't imagine life without them... even though my MIL is asking me if I'll get "pretty hair" once baby hatches...

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#23 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM

okay, today i signed the olders up for the YMCA's Fun Club *check!* 2 weeks until it starts...

and...i finished the 5 pairs of overalls i was making for my 2yo (who is in the *i will strip naked at every opportunity but i definitely DON'T want to use the potty* phase... too many piles-o-poo for my preference ). *check again!* this was also to satisfy my sewing urge when i have so many baby projects on the list but am making myself wait until after our 3D u/s (in 3 weeks) to do it because i want to know for SURE that it's a girl before i go to all that trouble with cute girly fabric...

i feel accomplished.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#24 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM

My beads arrived today!

#25 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
YAY!!!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#26 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hooray!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#27 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
That's exciting!! I'm glad

Uhhh... I think I may need to purchase other beads. I bought some peridot beads, they are real but maaaaaaan are they small. Like, teeny tiny. So I'm looking at other beads because these ones would likely be dwarfed by the other beads that I have seen. Kinda makes me sad because the peridot held special meaning to me.... ahh well, they can still be special for me. lol

#28 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Yay, Ellen!

I will send my beads out when I get back next week. I still need to get around to it!

#29 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Metasequoia I hope your little boy feels all the way better soon.

Ellen, that is wonderful news.

FarrenSquare thanks for the encouragement with dd's dreads. A couple of years ago she started really complaining about brushing her super thick hair and I totally empathized with her because I remembered being younger and hating brushing my hair for that reason. I casually said well you could get dreads if you really hate it that bad. Since then she has been looking at photos of dreads and noticing them more and more and has finally decided she really wants them, ironically now that she wants them it is no longer an issue with not wanting to brush her hair and more because she just really really likes the way they look. I have to agree with her, they look fantastic and I think they will look really good on her. I will have to post a pic when we get them done. Oh and to answer your question she is 13 and no one in our lives have dreads so I may totally have to take you up on your offer of advice once we get going with them.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#30 of 106 Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ellen, what wonderful news! So great that someone looked over her tests again and found the real problem.

Oh, goodness...just saw a flock of geese flying south. Really???

I hear you all on the SPD pain. I've been having pain in my tailbone, like I did when I injured it My chiro did some sort of muscle/nerve/trigger point thing that she said was part of the Webster technique, and it felt better for a few days. SI pain and not-quite sciatica seem constant. I finally got the "Relieveing Pelvic Pain during Pregnancy and Post-Partum" book that someone recommended. I've only been doing the two most basic "exercises" and it seems to help a bit.

DH and DS are going to be out of town next weekend for almost 5 days. Still can't decide what to do with myself. ALthough I did schedule a massage for one of the days.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page