It's a new week - new chat! August 17-23 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I do like that ruffly gown. I just can't imagine wearing it during birth. At the very least it's stark whiteness will shortly become tie-dyed with fluids! Maybe for a wedding or date night, but birth...not so much! I'm also curious as to whether it has that pleasant hospital gown sheerness or crunchy feeling.

Heather- sounds like it was fun! I also am parched. I have never felt my lips this dehydrated, I don't know if it's just the extreme heat we've been having?

I started the back to homeschooling stuff a couple weeks ago to get a head start. I had a bunch planned this week, but we're skipping today for the mw appointment out of town. Have fun at the museum, it sounds really cool! And amen for sleeping in-that was the worst part of having my oldest in school for awhile. We both are *not* morning people!

Fern-Good luck at the appointment! That's great your mw is on the same page. We do dinner at 5pm here (dh is diabetic) and then are all in bed by 8 except the adults and my 9 yo who stays up to help me out or do some of her "school" work without little ones annoying her. We don't make it on time every night, but it really helps to have a routine. Do you have the Heaven on Earth book? Really good section on bedtime routines in there, or I think there's a briefing of it in the Waldorf forum here back a few pages.

Mzminty- I want the Sienna. I researched it quite a bit. It's one of the safest (after the uber-expensive Odyssey), and people all seem to really like it. If you search in the family safety forum here there are a lot of threads that talk about it.

Karen- oh my lordy. Repair her makeup? I think with my last I was covered in blood and holding her. The in-laws did not much like those pictures, but they're real even without my perfect manicure and reapplied foundation. I just can't imagine caring about something like that after I just gave birth!

Nic- maybe it's the # of kids not the age? My first two I had *no* pg symptoms and was totally fine and comfortable with pregnancy. My third was downhill from there but I had gained weight before I had her and it was just so hard on me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#122 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post

Does anybody have a Toyota Sienna? My lease car was due to be turned in in January, but at my last tune-up, they said the tires and brakes are both very worn and that it "might not be safe to drive" until January. The parts for this car are very expensive, and we obviously don't want to dump money into it just to turn it in, so we're thinking of trading it in early for a minivan. We've test driven some minivans and really like the Sienna, so we're thinking of getting a used one. I just hate to think of how much gas it'll guzzle... and we don't live in an area where walking or biking is possible. Sigh.
We do. Ours is a 2004 which we got new. I used to really like it- before the a/c went out earlier this summer and they told us we'd have to drop over 2 grand in it to fix the compressor. The dealership also told us we'd need to replace the sliding door that the kids' broke- another $1500. Dh took it to a collision repair place and they fixed the door for 85 bucks. Anyway, all-in-all its been a great van. I love the power sliding side doors and all the roominess of it inside. I guess I just lost a lot of faith in Toyota with all their recall mess over the last year. We really looked hard at the Sienna 8-seaters (we'll need one before November) but ultimately decided against getting one for many reasons. If you do go for the Sienna, make sure you get their extended warranty because, although they don't break down often, when they do the repair costs add up fast.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#123 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm honestly having trouble seeing those dresses as all that ridiculous. They're not exactly my style, but possibly more practical for a hospital than wearing your own clothing, which isn't designed to work around IVs and epidurals and so forth. It seems like a reasonable option for someone planning a medicalized birth who doesn't want a hospital gown.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#124 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the part that's ridiculous to me (other than it's all about hospital interventions) is that they're supposed to be "disposable." I can handle a 10¢ item being disposable, but a $44 one? Eek. They do have a point that hospital gowns are not exactly conducive to hospital policies, and they are definitely prettier.

Got a text from my MW this morning that she was at a birth and might not make it. So I'm working on getting momentum up to get us out of the house and to the museum. You know, before all the kids DO get out of school.

MamaFern, hope your appointment went well!

We have an Odyssey. I just don't like Toyotas. My mom has had two Corollas (albeit one of their cheapest vehicles) and had significant quality issues with both - and these were recent cars, bought new. She just had to junk her last one (maybe a 2004 or 2005?) because the engine died. Seriously. They had a recall on the model year BEFORE hers, but it didn't cover hers even though it was the same problem. She sold it for parts and bought a Honda Fit. Our Odyssey isn't perfect (and it's a lease, which I actually don't like after turning in our last one; we're hoping we can buy a used one when this lease is up), but it's overall been a really good vehicle. And my 6'5" DH fits far better in Hondas than in other cars.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#125 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

I can't believe it's my last week in the 20's I will be 30 weeks next week, it seems so crazy!!

I am starting to think this baby is either breech or transverse. I want to pull out my birth ball but my chiro said with my spd that might not be a good idea yet, although I haven't had any problems with it lately since I've been making it a point to sit with my legs together.

I talked to my midwife and we are debating if a birth center that is 40 minutes from my house might be a happy medium, it's 12 minutes from the hospital and she would still be my midwife. I seem to have gotten my blood sugar under control so that's good.

I had my first when I was 23 and will be 31 when this baby is born turning 32 2 months after, dh wil be 32 in 3 weeks.

We bought a 2002 town and country a couple weeks before my third was born, and we really like it.

Today I really need to get caught up on laundry and put it away. I really despise having my washer and dryer in the basement, I've always had it on the same floor as the bedrooms and it was always so much easier that way. I also need to order some bento box lunch kits of the kids today and go get fabric to make my daughters lunch bags. The day is almost halfway over, I better get started.
Hope everyone is having a good start to their week.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#126 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM

Karen, I got your beads!!

I still haven't received mine though I was told they were marked as shipped. Guess I need to contact the ebay seller.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#127 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I think the part that's ridiculous to me (other than it's all about hospital interventions) is that they're supposed to be "disposable." I can handle a 10¢ item being disposable, but a $44 one? Eek. They do have a point that hospital gowns are not exactly conducive to hospital policies, and they are definitely prettier.
I agree. They're organic...but disposable clothes? Completely contradictory. Not to mention I can't imagine trying to dress up like it's prom when you're in labor so you'll "look pretty". I've had 3 hospital births and it's not a fashion show no matter where you give birth.

Just got back from the midwife appt. Everything is fine. Baby is transverse. Not surprised, but it explains my discomfort. Now I need to work on turning this kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom View Post
I am starting to think this baby is either breech or transverse. I want to pull out my birth ball but my chiro said with my spd that might not be a good idea yet, although I haven't had any problems with it lately since I've been making it a point to sit with my legs together..
My last good chiro actually recommended the birth ball to sit on all the time and I have SPD fairly badly. It actually helps me a lot, I think. I also can't sit with my legs together. SO uncomfortable.

Just got my birth beads! I will send that and the RRL to you tomorrow, Nic. Gotta get it all packaged up!

#128 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I agree. They're organic...but disposable clothes? Completely contradictory. Not to mention I can't imagine trying to dress up like it's prom when you're in labor so you'll "look pretty". I've had 3 hospital births and it's not a fashion show no matter where you give birth.
Agreed! When it came to pushing, I didn't care WHAT I looked like!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#129 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM

kittywitty- I think I will pull mine out than, since you say that! I really think mine is transverse as well.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#130 of 137 Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

I think I have started to nest like a crazy woman and now am paying for it this evening. I tackled a couple major cleanup/organizing projects today and now feel like I could go to bed at 6:30. However, little baby changing station is set up, though not exactly stocked, have a clearer idea of where this little girl might be able to keep her clothes, ds's room is immaculate, big bins of clothes that I can't wear right now moved to the garage, something like 5 evil loads of laundry done, everything prepared for ds's first day of school tomorrow, and I even took a shower. Still really need to run the vacuum in the living room, but maybe dh will notice - though he is tired too after his first day back to work.
#131 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So you guys got me thinking about a birth ball again. I realized I have NO idea where mine is! And this was/is my 2nd one... It's possible DH tossed it in the garage, but it's probably toast out there given the heat we get (and the garage is detached, so there's NEVER air flow or a/c in there). Trying to find a new one but also want one that's PVC-free. And I can't remember which size I've gotten. (I posted a thread in I'm Pregnant if anyone has input on that!)

We went to the museum this afternoon for an hour or so (thank goodness for memberships so I don't feel guilty about it being brief!). I wore my 31lb 2yo for a while, but it ended up hurting my shoulder. I'd put him in a ring sling because he was asleep and it's easy to snuggle him in it, but it's clearly not such a good idea now! At least it pretty well kept him off the belly.

Anyway, we stopped at a friend's house on the way home, where it was raining, only to find a more severe storm was in our part of town. Some tree damage, lots of power outages, crazy wind and rain, etc. Our power here was out for several hours, so we had to go out to dinner - rats, right? We went to Pei Wei and now I'm craving MORE of the honey crisp shrimp. Mmm... (Seriously, why are restaurants not open 24/7?!)

When we got home, the lights were still out in the whole area. Thankfully, as we sat in the drive debating what to do, I saw them flicker on! Then I got to leave the kids with DH and run to Target to scavenge for school supply deals (what a site that place was!). I found some good deals on things the boys will enjoy and use, so we can make a special day of starting back either tomorrow or Wednesday.

...And now I'm not sure how long ago I started writing this. I've been reading August and September DDCs, birth stories, etc., etc. I am SO eager for the next few weeks to fly by and be getting REALLY ready for baby!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#132 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Appointment went great.
im 29 weeks.. measuring 32 weeks (mw said she pushed it down to 32 weeks ) it seems to go back and forth between a few weeks ahead and a month ahead. at this point she says I am measuring large for dates and since my DP and I really want to know whats going on, I think I might book a quick US.
My midwife is pretty sure there is only one in there, but we want to be sure on my dates. What if the last period I had was actually not a period at all? it was almost 2 weeks late and very heavy/clotty (maybe a MC of a twin? and maybe that's why I have twins thoughts So much)
and im really a month ahead of where I think I am?

I kind of would like to know at this point since Im planning a homebirth. if I think im 29 weeks and Im actually 32 weeks that could affect my plans.. so I guess I will know in a few weeks. and then I could potentially have a baby in early/mid october not late october or early november as planned..

anyways, i left my house yesterday at just before 8am and didnt get back till after 10pm. i didnt even see my shortest LO..she was still asleep when I left and asleep when I got home. I actually woke her up to have a snuggle I missed her so much. My sil went to nelson town to shop and have lunch and since her baby is only 6 weeks old it took more time than usual, nursing in between and all of that.

I got the prefold diapers I ordered a few weeks ago and.. YUM. they are SO nice. organic cotton sherpa, and organic cotton & bamboo. both are stretchy and so SOFT. im really getting excited now that I have almost everything we need.

Im planning to do pickling & freezing foods this week. my farmer friend brought us a massive bucket of green beans, swiss chard and apples to enjoy and i want to make more spanikopita to put away. im thinking rather than spinach using swiss chard and kale.. any thoughts on that? i have made it with nettles and it was super yummy.

heatherB: your day sounds fun! i love storms!! MmM. shrimp! I had pad thai with prawns for lunch yesterday seriously YUM. im so not into sea food these days, but shrimp/prawns are a total exception.. maybe even a craving?
i cant carry my 2 1/2 YO anymore at all. it gives me the WORST RLP.

ellen: hooray for nesting!

on birth beads: i looked in town yesterday and couldn't find anything good. im going to do an etsy/ebay search today in hopes of finding something perfect and having it arrive to you soon demeter. sorry for the delay!

Birth balls.. i need one. our last one popped after much loving.. any ideas on safe plastic ones?

kitty, thanks for the heaven on earth recommendation. i have heard of it but never read it. im going to look it up on amazon!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#133 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM

No worries about the beads, Fern... you'll get them to me when you can. I know that.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#134 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Wow, Fern, hopefully the u/s will show you what's up!

#135 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Ooh, Fern, let us know when you know something! I would be thrown into a tizzy if I found out baby was coming a full MONTH earlier than I thought!

You went to Nelson? I love that town! My neighbour loaned me a couple of awesome cookbooks from the ski area by you - Whitewater Cooks and Whitewater Cooks at Home. Yummy! I think I'm going to put them on my Christmas wish list.

Nic, I have to get my butt in gear and forward you my self-addressed envelope, etc. Off to put it on my calendar now!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#136 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Fern, we're in the market for some new prefolds...where did you get yours?

I'm off to have lunch with a friend I haven't seen since i announced my pregnancy, then to the airport to pick up my guys! The solitude/lack of schedule has been nice, but I'm so looking forward to snuggles!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#137 of 137 Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 PM

bobbi, i got them from here
http://www.momshomemade.ca/default.categories.CID904

they are made in canada with fabric from canada and made by WAHM's
im not sure how affordable they are, but i was looking for bamboo (just to try) and they were what i found in canada that fulfilled my ethical beliefs.
they make them to order, so it takes a few weeks but they are super nice!
you can tell them i gave a good review.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page