What are your Thanksgiving plans? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm weird. I like turkey but not chicken. Could be because of a few traumatizing chicken experiences in Colorado, though...

We're still munching on Thanksgiving leftovers here. Ran out of most of the good stuff like the potatoes, though. I'm going to make turkey noodle soup tomorrow.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
I was thinking of making some cinnamon gelato in my new ice cream maker to go with apple pie too.
What a great idea! Consider it copied and repeated here! (It is the sincerest form of flattery, after all...)

I'm craving turkey and mashed potatoes right now, too. Yum.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM

My due date is (America) Thanksgiving Day, and normally we'd go to my mom's house 45 minutes away. I've already decided I'm not going ANYWHERE for a few weeks before my due date so we're just going to stay home even if I haven't given birth by then, I guess.

My first son was born on his due date (and we did IVF both times so we know exactly when 40 weeks is) and it was a VERY fast VERY intense labor. I went from feeling no symptoms to my water breaking and being in extreme pain thirty minutes later. I've always been so thankful it was a planned homebirth because there was no way I could have gotten in a car to go anywhere.

As far as making dinner ahead, I'm torn. I don't think many of the dishes I love freeze well. I hate to deny DS1 Thanksgiving, but I don't see a way around that. Maybe my sister will bring us food the day after.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 PM

omg.. 2 Thanksgivings ago (lol are you following that?) I made the best cream of turkey rice soup... now I want that!!! I have a chicken carcass in the fridge... I bet cream of chicken rice soup would be just as tasty.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Nic, you know I'm going to need a recipe!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM

I got it online somewhere... and I don't think I saved it It was very, very, very simple though. I'll have to see if I can find something similar, I have a basic idea of what it had in it.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 PM

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/after-...up/Detail.aspx

this is EXACTLY what I remember doing! Careful there are crazy amounts of broth from a turkey carcass... though it could have just been the enormous turkey we had that year to feed everybody, lmao.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Sweet! I did crockpot bone broth from our turkey this week and only ended up with half gallon. It is SUPER concentrated, though!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 AM

yum. food if I hadnt just made and eaten home-made garden veggie & buffalo pepperoni pizza with lots of feta and waiting for room in my overstuffed belly for the apple turnover that i just took out of the oven..I would totally be drooling right now.

im trying to figure how many weeks I will be then... 36 weeks I guess..
well, depending on my US results.

the sweet potato cheese cake does sound divine! we are going to have a ton of pumpkins in the garden so everything will be pumpkin flavored this year I think. MmmM pie. stitches, im loving the home-made cinnamon ice cream idea

For a funny holiday story..I went into labor on DEC 25th at around noon and all through Christmas dinner I was having contractions (with my 1st..my son, who wasn't due till the 30th at least) but no one in my family believed that I was really in true labor,not till way later that night around midnight when it stared to get really painful. he wasn't born till the 26th in the afternoon (at home in our bed) but Christmas will never be the same for me. I will always remember those first few twinges, and knowing that I would be a mama soon. best Christmas present ever!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How cool is that, Fern!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM

That's sweet, Fern! I had my 4th on Christmas Eve. The spirit of the season really affected me and even though I'm not Christian (raised Jewish, actually lol), I am totally emotional about Christmas now.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Well personally I planned my 2nd child to be born in November so that no one can give me crap for at least two months about my weight and I can eat anything and everything I want during the holidays! Lol!!!! I'm due on the 8th. I'm super excited about the food!!!!

My mom, dad (step), little sister, and Nana all live close to me. So I see them all the time. I'm hoping... haven't confirmed.... that we will be staying in town and going to my moms for thanksgiving and Christmas. My partner's family lives 2.5 hours away and we've typically split the holidays up and go Christmas to one and thanksgiving to the other. I just really don't want to do that with having a newborn. Ugh. Ehhhh we haven't had the conversation yet so we shall see.

Mainly for me it's about the food so where the food is good... That's where I want to be!!!!! Lol! I love holiday food!!!! I'm super excited about pumpkin and peppermint!!!!! Ahhhh I might just have to go out and buy a pumpkin pie today! Yummy yummy! Ps: I don't believe in cooking during the holidays... That's what family is for! Hahahaha plus I'm not a good cook. Geez I better never live far from my family or my poor kids are going to be going IHope style during the holidays! Hahahaha!!

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMySofie View Post
my hopes are that someone very nice will invite us, and DH will take the girls while I stay at home with baby since baby will be little and i wouldnt want to be sharing baby with anyone, at all

and that they will bring me a nice huge plate of yummy food
This is similar to our plan. My extended family is getting together for Thanksgiving, I'm thinking dh & the kids will go with my sister and bring some goodies home for me. I'm happy as long as I get a huge piece of pumpkin pie.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
That's sweet, Fern! I had my 4th on Christmas Eve. The spirit of the season really affected me and even though I'm not Christian (raised Jewish, actually lol), I am totally emotional about Christmas now.
im not really religious, i certainly wasnt then. i follow more a pagan spirituality, but im getting more into waldorf tradition, which is based on christianity.. but like you, it has changed christmas for me.. i think no matter what faith you are if you have a baby at a time like that (Christmas eve is a great birthday!) its very special.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM

We just moved into the apartments where my aunt lives. She invited us to have Thanksgiving with her which I am excited about since she is a great cook and it means no traveling for me. My grandma and my cousin will also be there and she is trying to get my parents to fly in as well. I am due 11/13 and I am always late, so I expect a baby only a few days old.

Amber (31) - Married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years, mom of 4 amazing kids (ages 12, 8, 3, and 16 months), homeschooler, and expecting our 5th child around May 18th!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM

i have no idea what we are doing yet, but i imagine the baby will be 1-2wks old and i KNOW i won't be cooking anything (okay, maybe a frozen store-bought pie). my parents recently moved about 3 hrs away and i have no clue what they are thinking about for thxgvg... my ILs are close, though, and usually host a dinner for their out of town family who comes to visit...we'll probably just go there, although their traditional dinner is NOT the one from my childhood that i crave... oh well, it's still lots of good food that i didn't have to cook!

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveistarr View Post
American Thanksgiving here. I'm due on the 21st and since this is my first child I don't have anything to compare to as far as the baby coming early or later. I keep having these fears that we'll be sitting down to eat, carving the turkey, and my water will break.
This exact thing happened to a doula client of mine many years ago!

We usually do a vegan Thanksgiving spread with our good friends. I've always done the bulk of the cooking on Thanksgivings in the past but this year I'll likely be busy snuggling and nursing a 2-ish week old babe. I may make an appearance in the kitchen to make my fav stuffing recipe and a couple of pies though.

Man, now I want mashed potatoes after reading this thread!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
im not really religious, i certainly wasnt then. i follow more a pagan spirituality, but im getting more into waldorf tradition, which is based on christianity.. but like you, it has changed christmas for me.. i think no matter what faith you are if you have a baby at a time like that (Christmas eve is a great birthday!) its very special.
We're also Waldorfy Pagans. Dh is atheist, though.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Ohmigosh, I have no idea what we'll be doing for Thanksgiving. Baby boy is due Nov 17, but DD was a week late, so that means a thanksgiving baby is a definite possibility. Even if he comes early, I have already decided I really don't want anyone around except DH, my mom, and maybe MIL for the first couple weeks. DD was born Nov 4 and we were overwhelmed with visitors from the moment she came home thru xmas. Assuming that the baby is more than a couple days old it would be nice to have someone cook for us! If all else fails I'll send DH out for chinese takeout, or maybe some friends would be willing to bring us some leftovers.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM

I am making that soup for dinner tonight, Nic.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I was pregnant with Dd1, all I ever thought about was Thanksgiving Dinner - the whole nine yards. I wasn't due until early February. So on February 2, my Mom went all out and made me the whole nine yards, bless her heart.

The turkey dripped juice in the oven, so the smoke alarms all went off at once. So there I was, 9 months pregnant, perched atop a chair ripping the batteries from all of the smoke detectors the day before my EDD.

Dinner was finally done and I actually retired to my bed with a plate of food piled ten feet high, being too huge and exhausted to sit like a proper lady at the table.

I swear I ate for like 3 hours with the plate just sitting atop my massive belly. I ate and ate and ate, savoring every bite of turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc.

I think I ate myself into a food coma because (and I don't know HOW I managed this), DP and I dtd and I feel into a deep sleep....only to awake at 3:40am by a massive contraction and bloody show.

Fast forward 3 hours and I'm in the hospital throwing up my beloved Thanksgiving Dinner saying "I'm losing my stuffing!" in sorrowful seriousness.

And at 7:28am, my little girl was born, forced from my womb by a massive plate of food (and probably ole one-eye helped a bit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/after-...up/Detail.aspx

this is EXACTLY what I remember doing! Careful there are crazy amounts of broth from a turkey carcass... though it could have just been the enormous turkey we had that year to feed everybody, lmao.
Dude, it's hard to go wrong with cream of anything.

Quote:
We're also Waldorfy Pagans. Dh is atheist, though.
Same here, but I don't get into the Christianity part of Waldorf.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 AM

I'm bookmarking that soup recipe! Yum!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
I am making that soup for dinner tonight, Nic.

I'm tempted to drive the 5ish hours (isn't that what it would be????) to invite myself over

Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
When I was pregnant with Dd1, all I ever thought about was Thanksgiving Dinner - the whole nine yards. I wasn't due until early February. So on February 2, my Mom went all out and made me the whole nine yards, bless her heart.

The turkey dripped juice in the oven, so the smoke alarms all went off at once. So there I was, 9 months pregnant, perched atop a chair ripping the batteries from all of the smoke detectors the day before my EDD.

Dinner was finally done and I actually retired to my bed with a plate of food piled ten feet high, being too huge and exhausted to sit like a proper lady at the table.

I swear I ate for like 3 hours with the plate just sitting atop my massive belly. I ate and ate and ate, savoring every bite of turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc.

I think I ate myself into a food coma because (and I don't know HOW I managed this), DP and I dtd and I feel into a deep sleep....only to awake at 3:40am by a massive contraction and bloody show.

Fast forward 3 hours and I'm in the hospital throwing up my beloved Thanksgiving Dinner saying "I'm losing my stuffing!" in sorrowful seriousness.

And at 7:28am, my little girl was born, forced from my womb by a massive plate of food (and probably ole one-eye helped a bit.)

Dude, it's hard to go wrong with cream of anything.

Same here, but I don't get into the Christianity part of Waldorf.
Dude... seriously! You crack me up... I'll have to remember your 'eviction' story. I can see myself doing the same, lol. Though I'm not a fan of throwing up Thanksgiving dinner... nope. Not my idea of a good time at all.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 AM

My EDD is 11/20 and I'm not much of a chef anyways, so what will probably happen is my mother bringing over some food and us all eating at my house (depending on how soon after or before the birth it is) OR we will just pick up and walk the five minutes to my parent's house
Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

There is something truly sad about throwing up a perfectly good, super yummy meal! But your story totally cracked me up.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM

DH's family usually does a Thanksgiving lunch (just his immediate family-- parents, brother and wife/kid, and his grandma), and my family does Thanksgiving dinner. My family all goes to my grandmother's, there are about 30 of us total. Lots of eating on Thanksgiving Day!

As for us, I think it depends on when baby is born, baby's temperment, etc.. I would love to be able to pack us all up and go to both Thanksgivings, but if Ian is BRAND new (I'm due the 6th, so he would be late at that point) or very fussy/colicky, we may be staying home.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Come on down, Nic!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:

If I'm still preggo on Thanksgiving, I'm going to try this method!

User Tag List