What are your Thanksgiving plans? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of making up three or four side dishes and freezing them four weeks ahead, then ordering some turkey. My due date is the 20th and all of our family is on the other coast (I'm hoping we won't have any stay-over company for the holiday) so it will just be the three of us. I want to still make the day special, but with it being so close to the delivery date, I'm not sure what to expect.

What are you all doing?
#2 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My due date is 11/1 and my other two came a few weeks early, so I'm expecting to be past the immediate newborn stage at that point. I'd like to go visit my family in Southern California, show off the baby, and have someone else prepare the meal! My grandparents are old and not in great health, so they can't come to visit, and it would be nice for them to be able to meet their new great-grandchild.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#3 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Go somewhere else to eat. Not sure I'll have a baby yet, perhaps if it's still very new someone will be kind enough to bring dinner over for my family.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I plan of having DP roast the bird while I make the stuffing, cranberry sauce and baked apple dessert. My Mom will probably make a sweet potato dish and my sister will probably bring something green with some wine.

About 2 hours before dinner is ready to serve, I plan on quietly and discreetly retiring to my bathroom where I'll run a relaxing warm shower and will easily and without pain, birth my baby.

The baby & I will get to know each other and have some colostrum while we wait for the placenta. Then I'll cut the cord, we'll rinse off and I'll go downstairs to stuff my face.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#5 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I plan of having DP roast the bird while I make the stuffing, cranberry sauce and baked apple dessert. My Mom will probably make a sweet potato dish and my sister will probably bring something green with some wine.

About 2 hours before dinner is ready to serve, I plan on quietly and discreetly retiring to my bathroom where I'll run a relaxing warm shower and will easily and without pain, birth my baby.

The baby & I will get to know each other and have some colostrum while we wait for the placenta. Then I'll cut the cord, we'll rinse off and I'll go downstairs to stuff my face.
I LOVE this!!

#6 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 PM

The Canadian Thanksgiving is October 11th.. Last year we hosted a big harvest potluck with some good friends...we had Turkey grown by friends (I will get one from my dads farm this year) plus all of the veggies, home made wine.... it was a very yummy almost 100% locally grown feast. Im hoping we will go to someone else's house this time , but it would be fun to do it in our new house as well. either way im sure we will have a super nice time with good food & friends.. glad its not in November here

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM

What can be made ahead well? I generally plan on making dh do the turkey and my 9 yo will gladly and very willingly cook everything else. I'll probably make pies up ahead of time and maybe the cranberry sauce. Everything else is pretty easy and straightforward with me coaching from the sidelines.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM

I'm planning on being very pregnant, meeting my cousin's new little baby, and stuffing my face full of delicious food! Canadian Thanksgiving ftw!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#9 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 PM

This is sad...I really hadn't considered making some sides ahead of time and freezing them. It sounds like a great idea as I'm very picky about my Thanksgiving food!

This baby is due 11/7 and we have zero family in town, so there's no one else's home to go to or have them bring us food. I was considering ordering food from Whole Foods or AJ's (a gourmet natural food store) based on the recommendation of another mom who did that last year. Now I will have to consider freezing sides!

Does anyone know how well stuffing/dressing would freeze?

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#10 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Stuffing is one I will *not* recommend freezing. I have tried that one before and it was mushy and gross when it was thawed.

#11 of 59 Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I love my cranberry-apple stuffing and would be very sad indeed to reheat a mushy mess on Thanksgiving.

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#12 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 AM

my hopes are that someone very nice will invite us, and DH will take the girls while I stay at home with baby since baby will be little and i wouldnt want to be sharing baby with anyone, at all

and that they will bring me a nice huge plate of yummy food

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#13 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 AM

I'll have what Metaseqoia is having!

I'm also due on American Thanksgiving. DS was induced, so I don't know whether to expect this baby early or late. Last year, we just had roast turkey, cranberry and sweet potato fries. So we might do that, or we might order from somewhere. One thing I know we WONT have is guests (unless I'm in labor and midwives count as guests!)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#14 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 01:53 AM

I think giving birth on Thanksgiving would be so beautiful, it really drives home the meaning of the day!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#15 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 AM

Canadian Thanksgiving here as well - we would normally be up at my parents' place that weekend, but dh hopes to move the kids into their bedrooms upstairs then, so we'll be staying here with dh's family. We have the largest house of dh's extended family, so if we host (which will probably happen), I won't be doing much of the work. I'll make the pumpkin pie, though (Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe is the best!), and probably an apple pie. Mmmmmm - I love Thanksgiving!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#16 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 AM

we already had it! tee hee on august long weekend (the 2nd) i had my in-laws over and we did the full nine yards. it was delish

i'm canadian too, and even with our thanksgiving being a month away from EDD, there will be NO way i will feel like doing it. and since i'm the only one able to do it, i figured "let's have it early!". my ILs are old and they really like it, plus they hadn't seen the kids for awhile, AND i had a turkey in the freezer just beggin' for it...

so on the oct 11th, NOTHING will happen, except maybe more pumpkin pie...it's my fave. and on nov 25th, i should be hormonally crashing with my newborn, who will be a week-ish old

Crunchy Catholic Cancer Survivor
Married SAHM to DS (6) DD (4) DS (2) and DS born Nov 17, 2010
#17 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 03:17 AM

I'm due the day before Thanksgiving. My brother usually hosts at his house an hour drive away--so we're just playing it by ear. If I'm still pregnant, we'll probably go, if I feel up to it. If baby is just a few days old, I think we'll just stay home and have a low-key day. If baby comes a couple of weeks early and we feel up to it, we may go... I'm just not sure. I've had this vision a couple of times of enjoying a good meal, having contractions start there, heading straight to the birth center and having the baby arrive that night.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#18 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Ohmigosh. THAT is the best plan ever!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#19 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM

My edd is 6 days before Thanksgiving, and while I'm more likely to go early than late (based on 2/3 of my boys being a few days ahead of schedule), we have to deal with the fact that WE host Thanksgiving annually, *and* my MIL has made a habit of coming in for it for the last several years - perhaps since my almost-6-yo was born in September? So we knew we had to figure something out, one way or another.

The good thing for me is that DH *loves* to cook and has the whole day pretty much down to a science. Plus, he's an amazing cook. (And I am so drooling for mashed potatoes with fresh brown gravy as I type...) It works well since we've had Fall babies twice now, and I'm on kid-duty while he cooks. That won't change, clearly.

What we ARE planning to change is *when* we celebrate. We're officially moving Thanksgiving to December 11, a Saturday when my mom can be off work, other friends who will be out of town in November will be back, and MIL can come without possibly being here for the birth.

So on November 25, we will most likely have a low-key meal at home. We may or may not have my parents over for it. And we may or may not be enjoying the little bitty one at the same time. I'm surely hoping we will be, though!

My 5yo has said that the baby should be born on the 24th, so that on the 25th, we can wrap the baby up in the bread basket, put it on the table, and everyone can be surprised.

(And I'm now also craving juicy roast turkey...)

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#20 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I'm due on the 18th and have gone early with the other ones. Fingers crossed that that happens again. We usually do Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's. Not sure yet if we'll do that again, or have them come up and do it at my house. As much as I'm planning, I can't seem to make a decision on that one yet.
#21 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:

like!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#22 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM

American Thanksgiving here. I'm due on the 21st and since this is my first child I don't have anything to compare to as far as the baby coming early or later. I keep having these fears that we'll be sitting down to eat, carving the turkey, and my water will break.

The good point is that our family all live within 15-20 minutes of our house and hospital. The last two years we've gone out to a friends house out by the lake which is a good 45 minutes away. So this year, I think regardless of whenever the baby decides to come, we're going to stick close to home and not travel out to the lake. I'm going to rely on my mother and MIL to make all the food, and I'll just eat. That is unless I'm in the hospital or something.

For those looking for dishes to freeze and re-heat later....green bean caserole is pretty good reheated. One tip is don't put the fried onions in when you initially make it. Wait till when you reheat to put those on. You can just put them on the top cause they'll all make it into the dish when folks scoop it out. Also, mashed yams (sweet Potatoes) also reheat very well. My mother has a too die for recipe that I'll have to find and share with everyone. It's so dang good you don't even need dessert after it cause it's like having a sweet potato cheesecake....(okay now I'm making myself hungry)!

Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
#23 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 04:02 PM

omfg... sweet potato cheesecake.. that sounds like heaven right there! i'm going to be anxiously awaiting the post of that recipe lmao....

#24 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 04:27 PM

My EDD is Nov. 4, so even if I go to 42 wks, I'll still have him out before Thanksgiving. However, I'm guessing I won't feel much like making an entire Thanksgiving dinner at that point, either. My mom and I have talked about having her and my dad drive down from South Dakota for Thanksgiving, so hopefully that will work out. Even if I have the baby on/before my due date, my mom won't be able to get here for a couple of weeks because of her work schedule...so my MIL and FIL will probably come earlier since they don't live as far away. Hey, maybe we'll even get to have 2 Thanksgivings!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#25 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Canadian Thanksgiving for me too. I'll be 36 1/2 weeks pregnant at the time, I have graciously decided that my mom will cook this year, Well, she usually does anyway but I often cook my own turkey so I have leftovers. I'm more than willing to let her do all the heavy cooking though, although I will probably volunteer to cook the pumpkin pie as baking is my specialty. I was thinking of making some cinnamon gelato in my new ice cream maker to go with apple pie too.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#26 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Stop talking about sweet potatoes, y'all. That's my current craving.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#27 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Yeah, this thread makes me hungrier than I normally am! *off to make some sweet potato fries*

#28 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
omfg... sweet potato cheesecake..
Word.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#29 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM

That sounds so good!

I am impatiently waiting for my sweet potatoes to be done gestating outside. I eye them and drool every time I go out. Be done, dang it!

#30 of 59 Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Now I want to make a full on big dinner... I won't do turkey because hubby isn't fond of it, but chicken is my current craving. I want a bird with all the fixin's.... *sigh* food budget is sooooo tight right now, only a few more days and I can do this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page