Decided on NAME but not on SPELLING. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have finally agreed on a name. The baby name discussion has been a difficult one for us because we both have very different preferences. I like unique names and he likes more traditional names.

I'd like people's opinions on spelling. He wants Georgia (spelled the traditional way because he Great Grandfather's name was George). I don't like the look or the sound of the "eo" part of it so would like a different spelling. I like it Jorgia. I know there are many other spellings out there so wondering what people think.

Also to keep in mind (and this isn't a post for people to tell me how ridiculous it sounds) the middle name will be Jenalyn. So both names have the "G" sound.

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#2 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM

I prefer Georgia... I don't much care for the way Jorgia looks, to be honest.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Crashing on your ddc here...

I love the name Georgia! I always liked it spelled Jorja, personally.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#4 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

DDCC

The classic spelling is lovely. There will never be a problem with pronunciation, and I think that spelling carries with it particular associations which are lost with another variation. And because you're naming her after great-grandfather, you have an even more compelling reason to keep the classic spelling.

I'm not going to tell you that Jorgia looks ridiculous, but it does look made-up, which puts you in kree8tyv spelling territory (although plenty of people like the scenery there). And it also looks as if it could be Spanish or maybe Eastern European, which may make people wonder if that initial "J" is supposed to be pronounced "H" or "Y"
#5 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
DDCC

The classic spelling is lovely. There will never be a problem with pronunciation, and I think that spelling carries with it particular associations which are lost with another variation. And because you're naming her after great-grandfather, you have an even more compelling reason to keep the classic spelling.

I'm not going to tell you that Jorgia looks ridiculous, but it does look made-up, which puts you in kree8tyv spelling territory (although plenty of people like the scenery there). And it also looks as if it could be Spanish or maybe Eastern European, which may make people wonder if that initial "J" is supposed to be pronounced "H" or "Y"
I could have been more clear in my post... but zinemama's post works for me! lol The bolded is what got me... and I agree about creative spelling, I mean it works for some... and I'm not above using an unusual name (I do have a Jakobi) but anyway.. I agree with zinemama's sentiments.

#6 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Crashing to say go with Georgia. Definitely.
#7 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM

I like Georgia.
#8 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
I prefer Georgia... I don't much care for the way Jorgia looks, to be honest.
Same. I think if I saw Jorgia on paper, I'd want to say it with a hard J sound.
#9 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM

I like Georgia alot....but not Jorgia at all....
#10 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM

There is that actress from CSI Jorga Fox, although I don't know how she pronounces it. I think Georgia sounds and looks pretty.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#11 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Georgia is a lovely name!

I prefer the conventional spelling-- to me, Jorgia also looks like it might be pronounced with an H for the J.
#12 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 PM

Another vote for Georgia!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#13 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM

I like the traditional spelling Georgia also. To me, Jorgia looks like it would be pronounced with a Y sound.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#14 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM

a vote for Georgia from me. I like the sound, and personally I like it with your middle name.

It reminds me of an actresses' name that I love- January Jones with the two J sounds.

But I am really not a fan of Jorgia, and my opinion is based simply on the visual of it. Georgia- pretty, strong, old fashioned yet not old. Jorgia- just feels...awkward.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#15 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM

Georgia is beautiful. Jorjia I would pronounce Hor zhee ah.
#16 of 27 Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM

My name is Karin (aka/same as karen). As simple a name as that is, My whole life people pronounced it car-in instead of Karen. I never found anything with my name on it (stickers, mugs) and always was sad about that as a little kid. I think you have to think from the child's perspective, and from what will serve them well or not as well as they have to live with whatever creative spelling flourishes we parents assign them...
Georgia is going to encounter absolutely no pronunciation or spelling issues, and it's really a lovely name. Georgia would look nice on a resume, book jacket, movie screen, etc...
The alternative spelling will mean she will always have to spell her name and correct people. She'll always have to pronounce it and say "just like the state but spelled this way...". It may really be annoying to her. I say save her all of the hassle and spell it the traditional way.

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#17 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm from an area with a high Hispanic population, and would certainly have to stop and consider if Jorgia was an Hispanic name related to Jorge and pronounced more like "hor-hee-ya." If you want it pronounced like the classic spelling, I'd recommend going with that.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMySofie View Post

But I am really not a fan of Jorgia, and my opinion is based simply on the visual of it. Georgia- pretty, strong, old fashioned yet not old. Jorgia- just feels...awkward.
I'm totally visual, too, so I get where you are coming from with this.

I think Georgia is a unique name even using its conventional spelling.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#19 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 AM

Georgia, such a pretty name!

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#20 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM

My favorite aunt is Jorja!

Sorry it doesn't answer your question.
#21 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize that spelling it Jorgia would sound different. I do like Jorga as well. I guess it's a toss up between Jorga & Georgia now. I dont mind either, but like something a little different and because (around here) its not really a very common name, I can get away with a slightly different spelling without it being weird. I'll keep thinking on it.

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#22 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

I also love the name Georgia and I like when names are spelled the traditional way. I wouldn't go so far as to say a spelling is "ridiculous" but when you spell names creatively she will forever have to spell her name out to others. I work in school health and I have to ask constantly how a name is spelled or risk upsetting a child because "you never spell my name right!"
That being said we are using Carroll as a middle name in honor of my DH's beloved grandfather. We are having a girl but we are using the male spelling because we love pop-pop and we want our DD to have 'his' name. My mother is pitching a fit since it 'should' be Carol not Carroll but...whatever.

Me married to a biker DH with DS (16) and DD (1).  caffix.gif

Quote:
Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

#23 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
DDCC

Yup...I would start with pronouncing Jorgia with a "Yor/Hor" sound...like Jorge...stick with the classic spelling!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#24 of 27 Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Spelling it "Jorga" would make me pronounce it Jor-ga (hard g) in addition to making me wonder Spanish (Hor-ga?) or Eastern Europe (Yor-ga?).

Still voting for Georgia!
#25 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still very confused how a J sounds any different than a J. HAHAHA.

#26 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezix View Post
I'm still very confused how a J sounds any different than a J. HAHAHA.
Because when you spell it Jorgia it looks like Jorge, which is pronounced "Hor-hay" not George. There are other sounds as well... when I see Jorgia I do not see Georgia at all.

#27 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Because when you spell it Jorgia it looks like Jorge, which is pronounced "Hor-hay" not George. There are other sounds as well... when I see Jorgia I do not see Georgia at all.

Ok well this is really funny because when people were responding saying it would sound like Jorge..I was thinking...isn't that what its SUPPOSED to sound like? Apparently not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page