How often would you enjoy a glass of wine or a beer? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was actually a really cool study done on breastfeeding mothers and alcohol consumption. Basically the study concluded that, like Karen said, milk alcohol levels were the same as blood alcohol levels and that alcohol actually metabolized out of pumped milk at a rate similar to the time it took for the mother not to feel the effects of the alcohol. More proof that breastmilk is an amazing, living fluid!

Anyway, I've always found those milk test strips to be kind of silly personally. Just another company's attempt at profiting off of misinformation about breastfeeding.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#32 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 AM

Okay, one of my guilty pleasures is watching pop-culture reality shows. On one show, the new mom went out for a night of partying and the following morning, her milk tested too high for alcohol. Stories like that feed my paranoia.

Additionally, on a personal note, I'm probably a little extra sensitive about alcohol use due to a tragic family history of profound (violent) alcoholism coupled with my work with young children with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Yes, I'm probably a classic example of an overly-cautious person when it comes to this matter--and I know reality shows are a lame source of info--but I think it's okay to have different philosophies about this matter.
#33 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Of course it's OK to have different philosophies! And it's OK to be a little bit anxious, esp. with your family's history.

But as I said, if you are just drinking a little, not even feeling tipsy, there is no reason to test your milk. It sounds like that mama went on a binge, and of course it's not OK to nurse when you are sloshed, or the next morning, either (shouldn't drive the morning after a bender, either! I know one IBCLC lactation consultant who said, if you feel OK to drive, you are most likely OK to nurse.)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#34 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Exactly Karen. The truth is anyone who is really conscientious and trying to be a good parent and do the best for their child isn't going to get hosed and breastfeed anyway, and knows where to draw the line between a casual drink and a bender. Unfortunately there are moms out there who aren't able to make that judgment, and I'm sure that working with kids with FAS like new york mama has would colour one's perspective on the issue. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution in anything, but also no point getting too worried about it either. Obviously wanting to be cautious means you are going to make good choices!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#35 of 42 Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm sorry. I cannot even enjoy one sip of anything alcoholic. I was a "drink with dinner" kind of gal pre-preggo but as soon as I found out I was expecting this baby I just stopped. I have no negative feelings towards someone who imbibes but I just can't do it. Of course I'm still kicking myself because I took a couple ibuprofen a few days before the BFP. I didn't know I had conceived but I still get mad at myself when I think back on that

Me married to a biker DH with DS (16) and DD (1).  caffix.gif

Quote:
Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

#36 of 42 Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM

honestly??? If things werent so bad right now and I could actually afford wine, I would have one once a week!!! ( i lost my job few months ago and we are really struggling, losing home, etc blah blah blah) So yeah, anyone who would like to bring me a glass of wine, Im here waiting!!!

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
#37 of 42 Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM

I abstain completely while pregnant. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have done the same with all of them
#38 of 42 Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM

I'm down with having a beer or two. This is my first pregnancy and I had a few half glasses in the first trimester and now I've had two beers in the past month. For the most part, I haven't really wanted it, as pre-pregnancy, I was about a 2-3 drinks a week girl. Now, in my third t, I'm feeling like having a beer. But, really, I think that for hundreds of years people didn't really even drink water, just alcohol and babies were fine. No reason to go out and get drunk, but a beer now and again is awesome.
#39 of 42 Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM

I told myself once I hit the 3rd tri I'd start drinking a half glass of wine every once in a while. Once I hit that point I was totally excited, bought a bottle of wine and every couple of nights I'd have a half glass.

Turns out it gives me horrendous heartburn, to the point where it's not even worth it. I'm not sure if something else would be better, but since I was pretty much a strictly wine or margaritas gal (and I don't plan on drinking margaritas) I guess I'll just have to wait til LO is born.
#40 of 42 Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM

I love beer. Good, dark, yeasty, hoppy, delicious, refreshing beer.
I'll have about one beer a week and take a good healthy sip of dp's if we're out and about. The only reason I wouldn't drink a beer at a restaurant is because of the looks I would get.
At home or around people I trust to trust my judgement, I don't have a problem with it.
#41 of 42 Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 PM

I had a gin and tonic last night--well mostly tonic with about a tablespoon of gin and half a lime. I have been craving it forever and it was so good. I may start having the occasional small glass of wine before bed to help me get to sleep.
#42 of 42 Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if that's why I've been sleeping SO well lately? I've been having 1 (gluten-free) beer a night with dinner since Labor Day (finishing off that remaining half of a case..) and have slept *unbelievably* well - not even getting up to pee AT ALL. I lay down around 9-10pm and don't wake at all until at least 7am...hrm...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page