How often would you enjoy a glass of wine or a beer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling a bit guilty because I had a beer yesterday at a Labor Day picnic & I'm having one right now. I haven't had beer in SO long but we brought some g/f beer to the picnic & now there are two six packs in the fridge.
I wouldn't have more than one at a time (in a day) and I wouldn't have one daily for a prolonged period of time, but I wonder what's acceptable?

Or wine - I love me a smallish glass of Cabernet. We had a bottle here that my sister had brought for dinner one night (she brought two and we only drank one) and I opened it and had a small glass for a few consecutive nights in a row.

A friend asked if I wasn't worried about fetal alcohol syndrome (or damaging the baby in general) and honestly, I'm not - at least not the way I've been occasionally enjoying it.

I think back to hundreds of years ago when people drank wine/mead/beer/etc like we drink water (or soda ) today and think the concern these days is a bit overrated. I am thinking this thread could attract attention and end up locked if any strong opinions are expressed - and that's not what I want to see happen. Just wondering what everyone else thinks is "safe" here.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM

I have sips of my DP's beer most days.. or even a small glass once in a while.. never a full beer, but im a super cheap drunk That said, I was discussing Thanksgiving plans with my midwife (whom we will likely have dinner with) and I told her I was planning on drinking home-made raspberry wine & or beer and she said she( as a friend) was okay with it as long as im okay with her getting wasted she says at this point & beyond there isn't really any harm a small amount of alcohol can do..That said, she doesn't recccomend it.. IYKWIM.. as a care provider she has to say no amount of alcohol is safe..

but I think its okay..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

IIRC, it's fairly common for OBs and midwives in many other parts of the world to recommend a woman have a single serving of wine or beer as often as daily (I've heard a variety of things on this.) The north american tendency to be slightly paranoid about lawsuits seems to be the prevailing cause of the attitude that no alcohol is okay, even though it would be relatively easy to look at the stats for other parts of the world and make recommendations based on those. I believe the incidence of FASD is extremely low in Europe.

Personally, I do not drink in the general course of things. I have nothing against it, I just only ever want alcohol maybe once or twice a year, if that. Usually if I've gone all out cooking a huge meal and want to pair wines with it. Because of this, I personally don't drink while pregnant, but I don't particularly care if women occasionally have a glass of wine or beer. I think it's actually probably a good idea in the last few weeks, to help the uterus prepare.

Although a Guinness is sounding very good with all these contractions I've been having today!

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#4 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM

I think a beer here and there is fine... I think there is way too much hype about the unsafe aspects of alcohol in pregnancy. I'm not saying I condone getting hammered at all in pregnancy, I don't.... but a beer here and there in the 3rd tri, it's all good.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#5 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 PM

My midwife put it this way...since it would be unethical to do a double blind study where pregnant women were made to drink a whole bunch and see what happens to babies, there isn't a good way of getting a realistic safe amount, so that's why they say 'none at all', and while she sees how having a little here and there isn't a problem, she still has to tow the company line. Plus there is that over-riding theme in North America that people can't be trusted to moderate themselves. When I was in nursing school I had an instructor tell me that if someone gave you an estimate of how much they drank, you should double it. But, I also worked with a female doctor who said when she was pregnant she would have a glass of wine before she went out for dinner so she wouldn't get the 'hairy eyeball'.

Personally I steer clear in the first 2 trimesters (save a swig of DH's beer from time to time), but in the 3rd tri I don't see the harm in the odd drink. That being said I am a cheap date at the best of times and a sherry glass full of wine is enough to put me to sleep, so I figure that's plenty for me at one sitting. DH brought home wine last week as I was stressed and tired, so I've been enjoying a taste in the evenings and it's nice. I intend to have a full glass at Thanksgiving, I'll be 36 weeks preggo with a stomach full of Turkey, so I see no reason to feel guilty about it!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#6 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
I intend to have a full glass at Thanksgiving, I'll be 36 weeks preggo with a stomach full of Turkey, so I see no reason to feel guilty about it!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also think it's overhyped. I am not comfortable drinking in the first two semesters, personally. But in moderation, I don't see the problem. I know it's common around the world. I'm not much of a drinker, so maybe half glass of wine is all I've ever had during pregnancy.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM

I have been craving a glass of wine, or maybe something even a little harder all day! If I was somewhere where it was available, I'd have it in a heartbeat. That being said, I'm usually too frugal to buy alcohol. Dh has Crohn's, so, as a rule, he really shouldn't drink it. So that just leaves me to drink it. I'm not about to finish a bottle myself, even over several days. I'll also have that full glass on Thanksgiving - another thing to look forward to.
#9 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I'm not pregnant I enjoy a few glasses of beer or wine a week. And I feel like I spend the whole pregnancy craving a beer. I'll have a sip or two of DH's but he'll only crack one open a few times a month if that. I'm just not comfortable having a drink while pregnant, at. all.
Although I see the usefulness of a glass of wine during labor.
I just read an article on this a few months ago on the dangers of even very moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy and it scared the rest of my "justifications" right out of me.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#10 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Ditto to all the above. I abstain totally during the first 20 weeks, then have the occasional 1/2 glass of beer. I haven't had wine at all this pregnancy, mostly because I haven't been craving it, but intend to have some at Thanksgiving. Mmmm - maybe I'll have some beer tonight!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#11 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
My midwife put it this way...since it would be unethical to do a double blind study where pregnant women were made to drink a whole bunch and see what happens to babies, there isn't a good way of getting a realistic safe amount, so that's why they say 'none at all', and while she sees how having a little here and there isn't a problem, she still has to tow the company line.
Your mw said it exactly the way I would explain it to a pregnant mama. There are actually quite a few potentially beneficial medications that we tell women to steer clear of for the same reasons. It is also interesting that Dr. Brewer- of Brewer diet fame- felt so strongly about protein and its importance in pregnancy, he refused to adequately study what reduced protein could potentially mean. Its actually one of the main reasons why his research was never taken seriously by the medical community.

Anyway, that said, I do have an occasional (like maybe once every 2-3 weeks) half glass of red wine mixed with juice- I love me some sangria! It helps with when my stress levels get through the roof- which reducing stress does the babe a lot more good than the harm that might come from the occasional exposure to a small amount of alcohol.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#12 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM

I have a drink occasionally. We're going out tomorrow night for our anniversary, and I'm sure I'll have something, just not sure what yet. I was pregnant in my 3rd trimester with DS when I got married, and enjoyed myself a gin and tonic that day!

I bought myself some wine coolers earlier this summer that I would mix with sparkling water (either sangria or margarita flavor) and have with dinner when we'd eat out on the deck. I also enjoy a beer occasionally or a glass of wine, but no more than one a day. As far as how often, it depends on what's going on socially in my life, or if DH is in the mood for a beer and doesn't want to drink alone. Honestly, I can't usually finish a whole beer or glass of wine because my tummy is so weird in pregnancy, or I have heartburn and drinking alcohol aggravates it. I'm probably more liberal than most, but I've also had no babies with FAS. I think, as someone else said, Americans tend to get hyped up irrationally about a lot of things that the rest of the world considers safe.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#13 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM

I have an occasional glass of wine. I'm not in the least bit worried about it. I've had maybe 8 glasses of wine this entire pregnancy and you could probably put that down to 5-6 since some of them were baby glasses... Under 4 oz.

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 AM

I definitely have a glass of wine or a beer here or there without feeling guilty. I even order in public!

I was recently reading a study that was comparing Australian pregnant women. It compared those that had 1-2 glasses of beer/wine PER DAY for their 1st trimester, with those that abstained. The study showed those who drank had better behaved children at 10 or something. That wasn't the interesting part of the study for me though, what was interesting was that in Australia, the medical establishment condones drinking moderately, even in the first trimester. The study also pointed out that while just about everyone feels that a glass or two is safe, no one knows where the line between 2 glasses and 10 a day that leads to FAS, so therefore, the differing recs throughout the world.

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#15 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 AM

My first pregnancy I stayed away... this one I have had an occasional glass... usually once a week or so, a few weeks more. Never more than a glass a day though, or more than 2-3 consecutive days.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#16 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I had a glass of wine here & there in my first two trimesters - even had a beer once.

Last night I don't think I even drank half of my beer and DP finished it. I didn't have enough food in my belly & started to feel it, and it didn't feel right. However, a glass of wine/beer with food in my belly would be a different story.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#17 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Oh! And when I went to the distributor to pick up the case of beer on Monday, I commented that the brand of GF beer I was getting was really good & he looked at me sideways and said "Is this for you?" I said, "No, no.." but I wonder what he would have said if I'd said yes?

#18 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM

I haven't had any alcohol this pregnancy save a sip or two of DH's beer. Last pregnancy I craved red wine in the first tri! Didn't give in.

That said, I'm already planning on having a small-ish glass at a friend's b'day dinner on Thursday, and I'll definitely have some on Thanksgiving, although I don't know if I'll still be pregnant or nursing a newborn!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#19 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

I agree, a tad is nothing to worry about. Now, I don't drink beer and I don't LOVE wine, so I tend to abstain while pregnant, but MAN I have wanted a good drink lately But I think that's more from the stress of the past two crazy sciatica months. I just got a chocolate milkshake instead today, finally Once baby is older, I'll make it a mudslide
#20 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh. I could really use a glass of wine right now. It's just sucky ending to a good day and I'm emotional.

#21 of 42 Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM

DDDC. I have had the occasional glass of wine (small) here and there, probably the same frequency as you, OP. My midwife said 3 oz in a day is fine

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#22 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Occasionally I'll have about half a beer. We have a sampler glass from a brewery that I'll fill up and that is my limit. It is probably actually a little less than half a beer. I'll have a few sips of my husband's beer too.

I don't really drink in front of other people because I don't want to hear about it. I had a sip of beer the other day just to taste a beer I hadn't had and someone actually said something. I was just tasting it.

Ok, there I admitted I drink a little during pregnancy. I really don't think the small amount I am drinking matters.

We almost always have beer in the house and before I was pregnant I would drink beer.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#23 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I don't really drink in front of other people because I don't want to hear about it. I had a sip of beer the other day just to taste a beer I hadn't had and someone actually said something. I was just tasting it.
Get out! What did they say??

#24 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM

I don't remember exactly, it was at my house on Sunday when we had a bunch of people over for the birthday party but later in the day. I know that I said "I am just tasting it!" with a tone that was annoyed. Nothing further was said.

I feel really weird buying beer while obviously pregnant. The lady behind me was asking about the beer I was buying the other day, asked if it was good etc. I don't think she realized I was pregnant because I was standing against the conveyor belt at the check out. I wanted to issue a disclaimer about the beer. Even so it was a beer variety pack that we've bought many times so I could answer her based on past tasting too.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#25 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM

I'm one of the paranoid Americans that gave it up completely. I plan to enjoy a glass of wine from time to time when nursing, but will use an alcohol strip to test my milk.
Yea, I've come to terms with my paranoia about this and really don't often have cravings for alcohol. The only time it kinda sucks is when I'm at a club or bar late and everyone seems to be super drunk except me. Being stone cold sober in a room full of drunks is really annoying lol.
#26 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new york momma View Post
I plan to enjoy a glass of wine from time to time when nursing, but will use an alcohol strip to test my milk..
I understand paranoia, but this is really NOT necessary. The amount of alcohol in your milk is the same as the amount in your blood. If you aren't feeling drunk, you are fine to nurse your babe.

I get really sad when I hear about moms who "pump-and-dump" after half a glass of wine

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#27 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
I understand paranoia, but this is really NOT necessary. The amount of alcohol in your milk is the same as the amount in your blood. If you aren't feeling drunk, you are fine to nurse your babe.

I get really sad when I hear about moms who "pump-and-dump" after half a glass of wine
Yep, this.

If you have a beer while pregnant, the baby shares your bloodstream, so you're essentially feeding your baby a 5% alcohol content beverage. The same while breastfeeding is going to be something like 0.08% alcohol content to the baby, and that's if you drink enough to be legally drunk - probably more than a single drink for most people.

So, big difference there.

(That said, if I feel like a drink while pregnant, I have one. Which isn't often, but I don't really worry about it when it happens.)

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#28 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And remember there is alcohol in things other than beer and wine and liquor. A glass of juice sitting out has alcohol in it as do some medicines, etc. So avoiding alcohol entirely is extremely difficult, so I would not worry about that glass of wine!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Me too. My DH's cousin was telling me how her daughter 'had to' 'pump and dump' because she had some wine with dinner, and instead gave baby formula for the first time because some calamity had happened to the fridge that the EBM she had pumped ahead of time was in, and then baby got horribly constipated from the formula and it turned into a big ordeal. Sigh.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#30 of 42 Old 09-09-2010, 03:24 PM

DDCC - I do not do it personally between finding out I am pregnant and towards the end of the second trimester, but just because I do not feel comfortable...

However, by 26 weeks I felt fine to have a glass of champagne (well it WAS my wedding day after all! unfortunately the champagne was gross and I didnt drink most of it)

And now that I am nearing the end I have had another glass of wine and am considering sending DH out for a bottle so I can have a glass here and there (obviously not too much!) to relax during this horrible prodromal labor (it doesnt make it go away... but it helps relax me) and for after she is born

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page