Interesting article: Link between Epidurals/Pitocin and Austism? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doula sent me an interesting article this morning and thought that some of you would like to read it!
I posted the link below..there's a little clip of it too!

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/p...e,1043096.html

"DeLack's hypothesis connects autism to the use of epidurals during childbirth. Epidurals were introduced into this country in the 1960's. By the mid-80's, 22 percent of women received an epidural during delivery. In the mid-90's, the number grew to 67%. Today, nearly 90% of women receive an epidural during pregnancy.

However, DeLack contends that it may not be the epidural procedure, but the drugs given in conjunction with the procedure, particularly the drug Pitocin, that has contributed to increasing numbers in autism."

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's interesting. My son was my only intrathecal epidural birth. He is not autistic but has a lot of sensory issues vs. my other kids. Some may be genetic-I am clumsy and so is my youngest girl, but his are rather pronounced. I'd be interested in learning more about the link, though I think other factors were more important for my son, in particular.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

It will be very interesting to see if this is one of the factors! I'm glad they're researching the effects.
#4 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
That's interesting. My son was my only intrathecal epidural birth. He is not autistic but has a lot of sensory issues vs. my other kids. Some may be genetic-I am clumsy and so is my youngest girl, but his are rather pronounced. I'd be interested in learning more about the link, though I think other factors were more important for my son, in particular.

My oldest, too. Sensory and also small motor issues with his hands. I mean who knows, but it's definitely interesting.

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Not what I wanted to read while facing the possibility of a c-section

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#6 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 PM

i have heard of this possible link before. it is intriguing to me, because of all of my births, the only one(s) that approached "unnatural" was my twins. i let them place an epidural in case of emergency c/s, and then asked them to dose it for delivery (i figured hey, why not? i've already been poked in the spine). it didn't work. i also had pitocin to strengthen "weak" ctx, but it turned out that their heads were locked together so the pit didn't help that -- only gravity in the end (imagine that!).

anyway, the boy twin turns out to be mildly autistic. hmmm...

of course, i've also heard of the link between u/s and autism, and we had about 12 u/s's with the twins -- one at every single check up. even the boy had one extra, to check his position after his sister came out. then there's the vaccine debate...we did full on-schedule vaccines until his diagnosis, then stopped cold turkey for all of them.

i don't have a clue what really "caused" his autism, but he's had exposure to all kinds of things that are suspected to contribute.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 AM

Thanks for sharing this-I'm passing it along to colleagues at work. Very interesting.
#8 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
very interesting!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#9 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Glad some of you found it interesting.

I used to work with 2nd grade autistic children and have always heard about the vaccination theory..but this one has a very good point! Curious to see if it is proven valid or not. (Although testing for this would be impossible for obvious reasons)

DirtyHippyMama- Lots to factor in but at least we are (hopefully) getting closer to the answer! A few years ago, I babysit a set of identical male twins that were both autistic. I wonder how common it is to have BOTH twins effected and if that correlates with this articles hypothesis. Hmm.

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page