Does carrying your baby really low = weak pelvic floor msucles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone asked me a month ago "what is holding that baby up??" because my belly is so low. Looking back, I carried fairly average with my first and carried gradually lower and lower with each one. It's obvious from the outside as well as from how much pressure I feel on the inside - which feels heavier and heavier, earlier and earlier, with each consecutive pregnancy. I remember how uncomfortable I felt with Dd2 - like her head was in my birth canal for weeks. And then it was so much worse with Ds, I felt like I could barely walk those last few weeks. I'm sort of dreading that feeling with this little one and it's already happening at 30 weeks. lately there have been days where I feel like his head is an inch up inside of me - but I'm too chicken to check where things are in there. I know nothing is literally *that* low because I'd feel bulgy - likely it's just a lot of pelvic pressure. Baby was upside-down last week, with his bum in my pelvic region, so it's not like it's the feeling of having the head engaged - yet.

After Ds's birth, I felt kind of bulgy for the first couple of months but things gradually went back to normal during that first year. So of course bulginess/prolapse is on my mind. I did see the doctor after Ds and wasn't dx'd with an official prolapse, just weakened muscles that I was told would firm up again with time (and they did.)

Has anyone noticed any connection between low carrying pregnancies & weak pelvic floor muscles?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my second pregnancy and I noticed that early on baby was really low and I was only feeling movement like right on my cervix. It was not comfortable. I mentioned it to my midwife and she said that it was likely because my pelvic floor muscles weren't as tight as they were with my 1st. She said it's common for subsequent babies to be carried lower. In the last several weeks/month, though, my baby is definitely higher and feels like she's sitting about the same as my 1st so I dont know what to make of it.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#3 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would consider myself to have average to decent pelvic floor muscles. Pregnancy always loosens everything up, though. I have always dropped early and carried low, too, but this kid takes the bill for by far the lowest so far. I can feel a head or bum at various times maybe 1/2-3/4" above my pelvic bones in my pelvis.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I carried low with my first and again now. I definitely am sore in my groin and right under where the baby is, there is a lot of pressure.

I don't know if that has to do with weak pelvic floor muscles or not. I was working out regularly when I got pregnant with my first son and have generally had strong abdominal muscles and no stress incontinence so I would imagine my pelvic floor muscles are fine.

I really can't tell any difference between how I carried with my 1st son and now. It seems the same to me.

Isn't it an old wives tale that if you carry low it is a boy? I've carried low in two pregnancies that are both boys!

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page