Tornado ripped through my street today. Very stressed. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tornado vent..
Today has been an interesting one to say the least.. It started raining a little bit this afternoon. I usually love to read/knit when it rains but this storm turned into a tornado. I just made the move to Brooklyn from Texas a few weeks ago and from my understanding, tornadoes in NYC are quite rare.. That wasn't the case today.

The rain quickly picked up and I grabbed a towel to put at the base of my window since there is a small gap where our window unit is. I took a peek outside and the sky was green. Very green. I know from past experiences that green skies are never good. Within a minute of seeing the green skies, all of my curtains began getting sucked towards my windows. (even the ones that were shut..) lightning started flashing everywhere, the wind picked up, and I heard a rumbling sound. My lights were flickering on and off and I kept hearing an electrical buzzing noise. I grabbed my dogs and started to make my way into the kitchen (where there are no windows) and I heard a HUGE thud coming from one of my living room walls. A projectile branch had slammed into the side of our apartment. I ran outside of the apartment into the stairwell with my pups to wait it out. In the meantime, I could hear cracking noises in the house..the sound of wood moving or being strained. I accidentally locked myself out of my apartment in a frenzy to get to the bottom floor stairwell. (Could it have gotten any worse?) All of the wind and flying objects eventually stopped and there was just rain left. People were outside assessing the damage so I decided to head to my neighbors to see if I could stay at their place until someone could take a look at our building. Neighbors weren't home so I ended up hanging out in a studio garage with some other neighbors who weren't sure of their houses conditions until my landlord and husband got home. It didn't help that I was having BH contractions through the whole thing. Ugh. A little while later, I found out that a tornado had ripped down my street and turned half a block before hitting my house. My car was 15 ft from being smashed by a tree and many cars very close to mine were in bad condition..

Needless to say, I was scared and not expecting a small storm to turn into a tornado. Not exactly something I wanted to experience in my third trimester, alone, with two dogs. (one of which can't walk from a back injury) Glad it's all over but I'm still stressed and in slight disbelief. I need a massage and a good nights sleep.

I hope you other NYC mommas are safe. I heard that we weren't the only ones that got hit by a tornado.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfkry...eature=channel
Photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=6102f58812
News story and photos: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39221423/ns/weather

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#2 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my! How scary! I'm glad you're okay. How is your apartment? What a crazy thing for NYC! Certainly not what I'd expect.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 AM

Woah - I never would have expected a tornado in NYC! Glad to hear you're OK, though. Whew!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#4 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
U'm glad you're ok! NYC is one of the last places I would expect a tornado, too.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 AM

What a scary, weird experience! I think that calls for relaxing with a quart of ben and jerry's or whatever indulgence you prefer. Glad all is OK.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#6 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 AM

how completely scary, glad to hear youre ok.

and symbolic too, being so close to 9-11...

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#7 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Our apartment is okay..not enough damage to be deemed unlivable. It got dark fast and we aren't going to clean up anything until tomorrow. From my understanding, almost all of the debris is going to be left alone until sunlight..where the experts can assess everything and make more confirmations.

I posted a video and some pics. I'm lucky to still have a car and an apartment that doesn't have much damage.

G'night, mamas.

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#8 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 AM

How Scary, so glad you are okay!!!

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#9 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Wow! Glad you are okay and that there wasn't more damage.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#10 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How scary, Mama! Glad you're okay.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#11 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM

I was wondering how the other NYC mammas made it through the storm. I'm glad you're okay. We came home drenched, but the tornado missed Manhattan. I hope you have lots of help in your neighborhood to get everything cleaned up.
Best wishes.
#12 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Glad to hear that you are okay! NYC has had some really strange weather this year - this wasn't the only tornado there, as my brother-in-law in Long Island City had one as well. I'm sure that coming from Texas, this was one weather problem that you were looking forward to getting rid of!
#13 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM

DDCC

Very glad to hear you are safe.

Yes, tornadoes in that general area ARE uncommon, but they do happen. I've spent 26 years of my life living on one side of NYC or the other, so I've seen them before. I find that most people that are surprised that it happened in NYC think that all of NYC looks like Manhattan, which it doesn't.

Tornadoes in general can be quite scary, and even more so in an area where they don't happen very frequently, and most people have NO idea what to do to protect themselves! During one, there was some idiot standing on his back porch videotaping it, as it ripped through his backyard, and sucked up his pool. He was very foolish, and VERY lucky!

Emergency preparedness and response was definitely ONE factor in our decision to move away from the area. We were on LI during 9/11, and after, the reports about how much of the population they could evacuate if they needed to was a real eye opener. Plus, it has been SO long since there was a major weather event in that area, that the bulk of the population simply doesn't take it seriously!

I was visiting friends and family this summer, and got stuck on the Cross Island during a hail storm that was producing golf ball to apple size hail. There were trees and branches down everywhere, and people were still doing 80-90 mph. And I know last winter was killer! Hopefully the weather calms down, and you don't have to deal with anymore excitement.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#14 of 14 Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Wow! I'm glad you are ok! That is horrible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page