What splurges have you made? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to be minimilist as possible and keep things second hand but have gone out and 'splurged' on a few things.
What have you splurged on? For me it had to be my Bumgenius CD... does that count? Those were sort of a necessity Or maybe buying my Ergo new... but that's because they had absolutely no used ones around I could find...hmmm
It's getting closer to the 'due date' and it's getting harder to resist giving into some cute clothes... especially when babygap has a great sale on.. sigh, must resist. Anywaysss
#2 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 AM

i splurged on a bassinet that i really liked and bedding for it. i could have gotten a cheaper one but i love this one and when Im done it will do well on Craigslist (probably more than what i paid for it).

I also splurged on a twilight turtle nightlight even though we already have one. but since baby and i wont be sleeping in our gigantic family bed and the girls hog their turtle, i figured we needed a night light of our own. I love the twilight turtle and plan to keep it by the bed right next to me. When on it projects little stars on walls and ceiling and gives off just enough light for a nighttime nursing session and diaper change.

The one thing I consider a true splurge is the Blessed Nest nursing pillow. Dang it was $$. But I wanted an organic option.

I did buy quite a few things this time around but dont consider them splurges-our old monitor was a real piece of junk and we had to get a new one, also had to get a bouncy chair to put baby in so i could shower.. And for every single purchase I really shopped around until I found the absolute best deals and always found codes and coupons to use on top (did all of my shopping online).

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#3 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh, I must still consider the Blessed Nest. Love it.

My biggest splurges so far have either been $$ diapers or $$ organic clothes. Thankfully, I only bought ONE of the Kate Quinn gowns at full price and found a few more at nearly 50% off.

I am also feeling the pressure to get things done and wrapped up so I've been ordering lots of things. I'm pretty sure most are actually necessities and not just splurges, though. But, I confess there are a few categories I have yet to make decisions on - and I may well splurge!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 AM

Heather-my Blessed Nest was shipped today and is on its way to me. I am so nervous about getting it-I really want to love it!!!

Now that you spoke about clothes, I did remember contemplating about splurging on a little cashmere sweater-jacket and hat for baby...

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#5 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't wait to hear what you think of the Blessed Nest! You must post when it arrives!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 AM

The organic baby hammock was a splurge, but i didn't have to pay for it..so it was a grama splurge

organic cotton/bamboo prefolds ( i needed some but they could have been good old CPF's)

Weleda baby products.. which I found at such a good price. I bought a few more things than I normally would have because of that. They tend to last a long time anways, so I think its worth the cost.

new/used organic hanna zipper sleepers from Ebay! i just love getting mail and these are the snuggliest sleepers sans feet ( i like using wooly socks and slippers rather than feety jammies) i bought a few in different sizes when i found a good deal

somehow i feel like I have spent a lot on baby stuff.. I guess I bought fancy natural disposables that are kind of $$ but also IMO necessary for the first few days/weeks on occasion... have hardly bought a piece of clothing new, but lots used.

I do have a shopping cart with items in it for ToysRus, including my nursing pillow and a few other things, but im putting it off for when we have the funds..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I can't wait to hear what you think of the Blessed Nest! You must post when it arrives!
me too!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM

CDs, definitely. My local natural parenting shop is, sadly, going out of business, and they had Flip diapers on for 30% off, so we picked up two day kits. The BG OSes were on for $16, so we got a couple of those as well. With DS, all but two of his diapers were second hand, so buying a bunch of new ones was fun.

Yarn. There's a lady at the farmer's market who sells handspun yarn (mostly her own, but from a few other local spinners). The wool is produced completely by hand, here on the Island, and I just couldn't resist. $20-$24/hank... I just had to. I normally would not spend nearly that much on yarn, but I really wanted this little girl to have some awesome longies.

Nothing in particular beyond that.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#9 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM

DIAPERS! I promised myself I would just do prefolds and covers this time ... but now I have a stack of BumGenius and Fuzzi Bunz on the changing table.
#10 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Diapers-my splurges were 1 Holden's Landing fitted and some Velour prefolds and new BG AIOs.

New furniture to organize our house better for baby! (Thanks to IKEA this wasn't a big splurge. )

Milkies milk saver and mimijumi bottles just in case. Not a big splurge to some people, but it was to me!

A maternity pillow I have yet to use since it's too big for my couch-my room is still too hot to sleep in!

And some nursing clothes. a Glamourmama tank (deeply on sale), 2 pajamas and a couple of new bras.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
A homebirth. Paying out of pocket for that pretty much eats up any possible splurge money.

I did get some slippers for myself with my birthday money, rather than buying something useful.

(I should add that I'm not missing out on any necessities thanks to very generous hand-me-downs, and those cover a lot of what I would have splurged on if we had splurge money available.)

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#12 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Yeah, I suppose the out of pocket HB is our splurge! But also the Jujube diaper back I fell in love with HARD. It's my "I'm a grown up woman and I'm not bringing the dingy over a decade old backpack to nice restaurants anymore" bag

I was pretty good, just buying what we needed, although plenty of it! I did find the organic changing pad at Target half off, which was still a bit on the pricey side, plus we had already bought an okay cheap one... but I haven't taken either back yet!

I'm being soooo good and not buying cute clothes, just accumulating ideas for sewing/fabric painting and such. And even telling folks not to buy clothes since we have so much left over from DD (GN stuff). Although there are some SERIOUSLY cute special things out there. We'd just get mostly Carter's as gifts anyway.

We did get EMAB stuff but it was through the co-op and cheaper than a lot of other stuff, and I don't consider avoiding conventional toxic stuff a splurge but a duty. It's b/c all that stuff costs what it does that I try to be good with other stuff, like buying used instead of organic
#13 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM

My sister did a splurge for me today and bought a bouncy seat that I really want. I thought it was too expensive for what it was, but she said that she knew I wanted it so she bought it anyway. The only clothes that I bought have been a coming home outfit (and it wasn't expensive) because a friend gave me an incredible amount of baby clothes - 3 girls in 4 years gave her quite a collection.
#14 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Nothing. Financially we're pretty tight right now... I actually feel a little sad about it. I'm worried if I have a boy I'll have nothing to clothe him in. I need to get my homebirth stuff together, too.... not sure how we're going to swing that at this moment. I guess we'll figure it out.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#15 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Is clothes a splurge? So far I've managed to spend little-to-nothing thanks to large item hand me downs. The most money we've spent on one item is the car seat, which is a necessity and not a splurge, IMO.

But the other day I went shopping with my friend and her 7m/o and MAN she is a bad influence. I dropped soo much money on baby clothes at the mall. That night I had a nightmare about a pregnant woman my age working herself to death in a sweatshop making those clothes. It was an awful awful dream and it haunts me that it is likely a reality. So I'm making a renewed effort to buy second hand or handmade, only. No more silly splurges!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#16 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
Nothing. Financially we're pretty tight right now... I actually feel a little sad about it. I'm worried if I have a boy I'll have nothing to clothe him in. I need to get my homebirth stuff together, too.... not sure how we're going to swing that at this moment. I guess we'll figure it out.
We're in the same boat Demeter. I haven't bought one thing. I'm thinking we're going to get by on craigslist free items, hand-me-downs and gifts.
#17 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new york momma View Post
We're in the same boat Demeter. I haven't bought one thing. I'm thinking we're going to get by on craigslist free items, hand-me-downs and gifts.

((hugs)) I'm sorry... it sucks. I'm a little sad that my sister sold all of her baby stuff at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. She didn't even ask me if I needed anything. I figure at this point I'm waiting until we have the baby to see what it is we'll need. If it's a boy I'll need to start over, I gave ALL of my boys stuff to my sister when I had my daughter (thought we were done) and she threw all of it away because her cat peed on it.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#18 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought a cute organic baby gown and a super soft bamboo hat.
And a ton of knit fabric to sew a Wrap style Mei Tie with, one that hopefully will work better for a newborn than my other MT's.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#19 of 23 Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrenSquare View Post
Is clothes a splurge? So far I've managed to spend little-to-nothing thanks to large item hand me downs. The most money we've spent on one item is the car seat, which is a necessity and not a splurge, IMO.

But the other day I went shopping with my friend and her 7m/o and MAN she is a bad influence. I dropped soo much money on baby clothes at the mall. That night I had a nightmare about a pregnant woman my age working herself to death in a sweatshop making those clothes. It was an awful awful dream and it haunts me that it is likely a reality. So I'm making a renewed effort to buy second hand or handmade, only. No more silly splurges!

i feel that way too about new things kind of puts a damper on the excitement of cute baby stuff.. but second hand is way more affordable and way more ethical!

the diapers i got were made by WAHM's in canada with organic fabric also made in canada, so i was happy to pay a bit more.

Quote:

#20 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Clothes. This is my first DD and it's been almost 16 years since I had a baby to dress. I have bought waaaaaay too much but when Gymboree has a sale AND a 30% off coupon what are you suppose to do? The real sin here is that I have a very generous SIL with 2 DD's who has offered me the moon when it comes to hand me downs (and she has NICE stuff) and I had to sheepishly decline because I have bought so much stuff I don't know if it will fit in the 5 drawer chest we just bought. I'm already eyeing Christmas dresses! It's glutiny I tell you!

Me married to a biker DH with DS (16) and DD (1).  caffix.gif

Quote:
Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

#21 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM

We haven't splurged on anything - YET! I'll wait until after the babyshower and then go from there. If we're good on clothes and diapers, then I plan on getting a Moby D Wrap and perhaps a cute pair of nursing PJ's for after the baby is born. Oh, and the very first outfit baby will wear. I may end up splurging on that. The only ones I like are in the 20.00+ range, and to me that is a lot for an outfit baby will wear a few times, so that is a splurge.
#22 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
A homebirth. Paying out of pocket for that pretty much eats up any possible splurge money.
This is me too. I'm SO happy that DH sees that paying for a homebirth is worth the sacrifice.

I did just buy a sit and stand stroller but it was used so not really too much. That's the most money I've spent on any one thing. I also bought some organic terry and velour to make new wipes since the ones I made for DD1 aren't as soft as they used to be. DH thinks that was a splurge. I also bought some organic fabric to make a boppy from.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#23 of 23 Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM

We have splurged on elbee diapers and a couple goodmama diapers, the rest I have gotten of of diaper swappers. I also splurged on a Beco Butterfly carrier with dylan material. The rest I have gotten at goodwill, consignment shops, ebay or Craigslist. It's easier for me to not go out and buy a bunch of stuff since we don't know what we are having

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page