Baby Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just opened my Burt's Bees baby soap I got from Frontier. It looks like they've changed it since last time I bought it as it's opaque and the scent is SO very different. Maybe if we were going camping, as it has a cedar/bug spray smell, but there's no way I'm putting that on my infant. Does anyone have any other baby soap recommendations? Natural, no Johnson's & Johnson's, please.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh dear, that's too bad. I have an order waiting for me with all my baby stuff from Frontier but I got Earth Mama Angel Baby this time, just because it was so nicely priced on the co-op (although I had to order my mama bottom spray that I LOVED last time from amazon b/c Frontier didn't have it). I haven't used the baby wash before but everyone seems to love it, so I'm hopeful. You could also probably find California Baby-- they have the super sensitive fragrance free stuff even. They sell a lot of that at Target and the like now. Even CVS has a great big section of really organic, natural body stuff, I noticed. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM

I use the Waleda calendula baby soap and butt cream. It does have a scent, but it's more herbal smelling. I can't stand scented products normally and go for unscented wherever possible, but the smell of the Weleda stuff has grown on me.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM

I second the Weleda baby stuff..I use it almost exclusively except for some herbal salve I like to keep on hand.

I love love Love the Calendula baby shampoo/body wash it does have a scent but like stitches says, its all natural 100% plant derived smells and it to me smalls the most natural unless you were just to wash with water, which is what i usually do for at least the first few weeks... to keep that yummy baby smell the nice thing is you only need a teeny tiny bit and you can use it on hair and on their little soft bodies and I like to use it on myself as well.

im sure that there are other good natural ones, but I haven't explored it much.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM

I was so bummed when I noticed that Burt's changed their baby soap. I planned on writing them a letter about it actually because we've used their soap for years and it is one of my favs.

I love Weleda's stuff, too.

I also really love this company's stuff. We use the shampoo and conditioner on our girls and its really gentle. Thinking about getting some baby wash for bathtime in November.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't think I've ever used soap on baby, huh. Maybe I'm just forgetting?

I do love Weleda's butt cream though....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM

I third (fourth?) the Weleda Calendula line - I've used all their products and love them all.

Has Burt's Bees changed their diaper cream too? I love the rosemary smell of it...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM

i want to like the Burts bee's stuff but they are owned by Clorox, and I am pretty much 100% against buying from huge corporations like that. Plus, when a company makes bleach and other toxic cleaners and products it just makes me wary that maybe they dont have the standards that the original company once had..and their products do contain some unnatural fragrances ect..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just bought a bottle of Shaklee baby soap and have been using it on my dd (2yo) and I love it. I think it'll be great for our new dd too! It's a little expensive, but I only need a tiny bit and it has a soft scent of lavender, like true lavender, not overpowering.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've used the Weleda diaper cream, does the shampoo/wash smell like that? If so, that's fine. But the new Burt's stuff is overwhelmingly cedar-y and almost smells like citronella. EW!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM

That's too bad about the Burt's Bees. I put some on my registry and see that someone has bought it for me...may have to take it back if it smells like that! I'm sort of weird in that I really don't like the smell of cedar at all. It makes me think of the dog my family had growing up...loved him, but his dog house had cedar chips in it and made him smell like an old, wet log all the time. Wouldn't be able to handle that scent being on my baby!

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, that sounds awful! We have used Burt's Bees stuff here and there but never had it like that.

I have a Frontier order I need to go unpack. I have in it EMAB baby wash (or did I decide to wait on that one?) and Little Twig to try. I am one who loves trying new varieties all the time, but I think EMAB is one I'll stick with.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM

Kitty-were you talking about the liquid, not the bar, correct?
I have used the Burts Bees liquid baby body wash/shampoo (clear yellow color) for several years and have always loved it. Then when I became aware of EWG (environmental working group -google and youtube this) I found this website by them:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Slowly but surely I checked out all of the products I was using on myself and the kids, and I have to say some of them were banished from our home (yep, they were labeled "natural,organic" whatever). Of course the Burts Bees body wash was one of the first things I checked since our whole family used it (ugh and I used the lotion on myself). I was not too happy with the ratings. In my search for more natural options I turned to Earth Mama Angel Baby, read reviews on it and checked EWG's site. I found a site with FANTASTIC prices on it and ordered quite a few things. I tried some of the stuff on my DDs and myself and love it. The only thing about the body wash is this-its a liquid that turns into a foam as you pump it out-super convenient actually, I can see how this will be so easy to use one handed with a squirmy baby. However-liquid that turns into foam upon dispensing goes really fast. Ever had one of those hand soaps that foam up like that-they run out immediately. So after bathing both of my DDs with the EMAB body wash/shampoo I can say that I absolutely love it yet it will take me a bottle every two weeks to be able to continue to use it on them. I used it to wash them and to shampoo them. Shampooing hair any other than a baby's with this stuff just does not work in my opinion-both DDs have thick hair and I needed a lot of product. It also does not lather up enough to cleanse thick hair. (as is the case with many truly natural products imo)
However I am giving the Earth Mama Angel Baby and it will be absolute perfection for using on a small baby. It is truly very very natural, there is nothing bad in it at all. I love the very faint scent and the easy pump. Cannot wait to use it on baby!
I posted in the pregnant forum before about the website I found it on that has the amazing deals/free shipping and a code to boot, here is the link:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...thernature+com

Now, reg. Burt's Bees. They recently made a FRAGRANCE FREE version of the good old Baby Bee wash. It is the creamy opaque color. Surely this is not the one you were referring to? I was beyond excited to find it, because I really needed something I can use on myself and DDs, body and hair and all. So I bought it and have already used twice and we love it! It has a great rating on the EWG's site and it WORKS! Its this one, but they also have a smaller bottle:

http://www.diapers.com/product/produ...roductid=26997

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 PM

Stitches - Where did you find the Waleda calendula baby soap and butt cream?? Is there a shop that sells it locally, because I haven't ever seen it before.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM

I LOVE California Baby Calming Shampoo/Bodywash.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i want to like the Burts bee's stuff but they are owned by Clorox, and I am pretty much 100% against buying from huge corporations like that. Plus, when a company makes bleach and other toxic cleaners and products it just makes me wary that maybe they dont have the standards that the original company once had..and their products do contain some unnatural fragrances ect..
Burt's is local to my area. While I was (and lots of other folks were, too) really upset by their move to being bought up by a huge corporation, the company has retained many of its original attributes of being a small, locally-owned company. They give back to our community in big ways and folks that I know who work for them say they are still a really great company to work for.

Now, the EWG ratings I wasn't aware of. I do know their mineral sunscreen was poorly rated this summer.

EMAB stuff is awesome. I totally scored on a sitz bath blend from them that this place had on clearance. I was going to mix up my own but I couldn't have gotten all the herbs I wanted to include for what I paid for the EMAB stuff. Can't wait to make herbal frozen pads with it in a few weeks!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 PM

I plan to use little to no soap on babe (worked well with DS), but when we need it we'll use Dr. Bronners. The whole family has switched to their soaps and they have an unscented version. Coconut oil as a lotion and butt cream works great for us too.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, ILoveMySofie, thanks for all the info! I have used that stuff for years, but usually buy in bulk so it's been...a couple of years since I bought a new bottle. I did get the fragrance free and had no idea that they had changed the formula or scent at all until I just opened it up last night in the shower because it looked different. I about puked from the smell, but my nose is super sensitive right now. So some people might like it, but it gave me a very strong aversion. I tried washing my face and stuff with it to see how the smell and formula was since it was different. I was not impressed.

The old formula reminded me of a more neutral J&J baby shampoo that reminds me of baby smell, but this reminded me of bug spray and camping. I will definitely try the EMAB stuff. Most of my kids have almost no hair until they're over 1 year old, so hopefully a little will go a long way, though I totally know about the whole foam pump issues.

This is what I got and though it's "fragrance free", my nose found it anything but with the:aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, coriandrum sativum (coriander) fruit extract, and the cedrus atlantica bark oil.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrenSquare View Post
Stitches - Where did you find the Waleda calendula baby soap and butt cream?? Is there a shop that sells it locally, because I haven't ever seen it before.
I get it at Planet Organic or Bo-Bebe, they both have locations in Edmonton.

And Kittywitty-yes, the baby wash smells like the butt cream. It's nice too because one bottle will last me a good 6 months plus, a little dab goes a long way.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM

We bought a bottle of California Baby when DS was born, and we still haven't used it all up! I use it more in our wipes solution than for bathing him! We'll probably switch to the Waleda for this babe, although honestly I hadn't thought of it yet!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 PM

We enjoyed EMAB, Weleda, and Cali Baby (in that order).

But my standby was and still is Dr Bronner' Aloe Vera Baby Mild liquid or bar soap.

You can often get it in larger bottles at better prices on vitaminshoppe dot com-- just watch for the bargains-- they rotate
Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 PM

I just ordered some little twig and Earth Mama Angel Baby from my Frontier coop last month so it should be here in the next few weeks.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Silly question for you mamas who didn't use any soap on baby - did you use anything at all? Just water? I'm super interested in any alternatives that avoid products entirely. I don't use shampoo or conditioner on myself (baking soda and apple cider vinegar), or face wash (mixture of olive and castor oil), or body lotion (coconut oil/shea butter). I use Dr Bronners as a body wash, but have always wondered if I could get away with not even using that.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Tags
Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby C Mama Healing Salve , Earth Mama Angel Baby Labor Ease Massage Oil 30 Ml Oil , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Lusa Organics Calendula Baby Soap , Dr Bronner Organic Castile Soap Unscented Baby Mild 32 Fl Oz Liquid , Charlies Soap , Rockin Green Soap , Wild Science Luxury Soap Science Lab , Wild Science Practical Joke Soap Laboratory
User Tag List