Thanksgiving. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thinking about the menu and how great it will be to stay home and be cozy with my DH, DD's, and new Baby. What are your plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're playing it by ear but will be low-key on the "official" day, for sure. DH always does all the cooking (this is my 3rd Fall babe so I'm always with babe in arms on Thanksgiving, anyway!), so he can cook even if I'm not available. Really, the big question will just be whether or not I'm in labor on Thanksgiving Day. Since it's 6 days after my edd and my last two have both come in the week before edd, I'm guessing I'll have baby by then. In that case, we may have my mom and step-dad over (only family left in town) and have a low-key meal with them and the boys and new baby. The family friends that normally come will be gone and my MIL is NOT invited to Thnaksgiving this time because of the proximity to baby's birth. She'll come a couple of weeks later and we may end up doing a mini-Thanksgiving then, or may just skip it and let her take us out to eat.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

I'm due just before, so my plan is to finally have an excuse to try all the yummy sounding prepared foods from Trader Joe's! They have sweet potatoes with cinnamon, apple stuffing, roast turkey, etc etc. Of course we always cook from scratch but the ads always sound like awesome recipes It'll be just DH, DD, me and hopefully DS! Either way, we're staying home, cozy, and doing it the SUPER easy way. I'll send DH out for it the day before or whatever
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am really thankful to have a junior chef 9 yo this year. If I can direct orders to my husband and give the recipes and timeline to my 9 yo, I can probably sit back and only do the gravy. Dh's family has a big Thanksgiving thing every year, but I don't want to go with a little tiny newborn during cold & flu season, kwim?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Our (Canadian) Thanksgiving is next weekend (yippee!) and we're actually doing an early Thanksgiving this weekend with my family as well. Double the turkey and trimmings for me (although I can only eat about 1/3 as much as I normally eat, so it'll work out to about the same over the 2 weekends, I figure). Making pumpkin pie this afternoon!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM

My official due date is the 23rd, I'm hoping that Little Sister will be here before turkey day! We're going to be just our little family--all our friends are heading to Vegas for a BB game. Dinner will be a combo of homemade (stuffing and turkey) and store bought (Costco pumpkin pie). Certainly lots of parade watching and baby snuggles.

OMG, I just remembered mulled wine.....I may be drinking a horrifying amount of mulled red wine.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My baby is likely to be at least a month, possibly closer to two, at that point, and therefore not ridiculously young for a trip. I'm hoping we can go visit family in Southern California, but, from a monetary standpoint, I don't know if that is going to happen.

I'd really like it to, as all my grandparents are old and sick to some extent or another, and want them to have the chance to meet this little one! And I'm worried that if we wait, something is going to keep us from getting there to visit any time in the reasonable future. I haven't seen most of them in going on two years, between school and money issues.

If we don't go, we'll probably just have a low-key thing here with just our family and housemates, assuming they don't go somewhere. I suppose it's possible that some family member or other could come here, but none of them have mentioned it yet. Actually, my mom is the only one who has mentioned visiting after the birth at all so far. I'm pretty sure I need to email them and remind them that we're at the "any time now" point.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Well since I am on strike against my inlaws and my family will probably come after the baby comes I think we are just going to do our own thing- and invite my SIL (not on strike against her).

My kids have been begging to have duck and I have finally found some for sale- so roast duck I believe will be on the menu (soooo easy to cook and takes like no time at all!). I don't know what else we will have- maybe sweet potatoes and green beans. I will probably let them all pick out something for the menu too. But since I am due the 27th all this is subject to change.

Apple stuffing? I think I could add apples to my corn bread and bacon dressing.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm due on the 27th with DS2. I'm assuming I'll still be REALLY pregnant on Thanksgiving, but really who knows! It's SO CLOSE to my Due Date I could also have him already, or be in Labor!

We don't really plan on making super formal plans. We will most likely just stick close to home and play it as it goes. I'm going to have a ton of stuff in the freezer, including some Thanksgivingy stuff, so worse comes to worse we can just heat things up!

Main priority this year is being heathy & rested for Labor or the Baby!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Not really sure what our plans will be, but our standard plans are always with my mom and dad. The annual plan is Thanksgiving at their place with mom doing all of the yummy traditional cooking. I'm due the 18th, but have said (so many times that I've likely cursed myself) that I think I'll go early. Early enough and we'll just go to their place, closer to the actual due date then they'll just come up here and mom will cook in my kitchen. This is what happened the year that I was pregnant with dd. My sister was driving to my house from the east coast with her newborn when I ended up having an emergency appendectomy while I was 14 weeks along. My mom ended up bringing everything up to my house from the turkey to extra toilet paper.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Well since I am on strike against my inlaws and my family will probably come after the baby comes I think we are just going to do our own thing- and invite my SIL (not on strike against her).

My kids have been begging to have duck and I have finally found some for sale- so roast duck I believe will be on the menu (soooo easy to cook and takes like no time at all!). I don't know what else we will have- maybe sweet potatoes and green beans. I will probably let them all pick out something for the menu too. But since I am due the 27th all this is subject to change.

Apple stuffing? I think I could add apples to my corn bread and bacon dressing.
That's totally what we've all (my BIL, my mom, and me) made the past several years for TG! There's been a great recipe in some magazine we've been playing around with, and they seem to tweak the recipe each year in the mag, too. I forget which mag, though! The year I did it, it was corn bread, apples, bacon, and some hard cider, too (cooked of course ). It was soooo good.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm so happy to be Canadian right now because I can't wait any longer for turkey!!! It's next week The IL's are here and have decided to stay for TG, which is nice because we haven't had it with them since they moved away 4 years ago. My mom is doing all the heavy cooking but I'm doing the pumpkin pie. As I mentioned before on a different thread I'm thinking of making an apple pie too and some cinnamon gelato. Oh, is it next weekend yet??

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

We decided to order a turkey for us and whoever ends up here for dinner. My husband can cook and I can do what I feel up to. I love Thanksgiving, I think I love any excuse for a big, delicious meal. I know my husband will want green bean casserole, I want sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. So as long as I am not in labor that day we should have a nice dinner and if I am we'll cook when we come home with the baby. I am due the 30th so I really don't know if the baby will be here or not.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 PM

For the day, we go to the parade in Philadelphia, which is basically going by right in front of my mom and dad's condo, so we hang out with my family in the morning, and my DD loves watching the balloons and bands. Its really fun as long as it isnt raining. So we will do that.

For dinner, I dont know what we will do. My MIL, the person who always waits until the week before Thanksgiving to decide what to do, actually tried to pressure me into making plans last week. I couldnt really believe it since not once in 10 years have they ever made plans or committed to anything with more than five days prior to the actual holiday. But then she also put on the pressure to host by saying she was scheduled to have her kitchen redone the week before Thanksgiving, but we could still have it at her house we'd just have to all do potluck and paper plates (um, so passive aggressive especially since DH is the chef in the family). DH caught her after he overheard it, and said firmly to her "we are not making plans for thanksgiving dinner".

I dont know how I feel about dinner...for one, Thanksgiving dinner isnt really super-sacred to us. One year when my friend was dying, I was so sad that I cancelled plans and we (me and DH) went out for chinese and to a movie and it was very freeing and a good break from the family pressure stress. And this year, while one part of me would love to have everyone over, another part of me thinks I may want to hibernate. When my family or the in laws come over, it tends to feel like an awful lot of work to host and clean up after them....its not exactly a pitch-in type of group effort, ever, so we tend to host them less and less...

Of course, there is always the chance that the baby will already be here, in which case, Thanksgiving dinner will be just the four of us up in the bedroom (I am doing the two week upstairs sequestered thing when baby arrives)

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM

well, I am scheduled for a c/s on 11/23 so I will most likely still be in the hospital. It's actually kind of nice since we will avoid all the large family get togethers entirely. DH is somewhat of a germaphobe and was getting nervous about people breathing all over new DD.
I'm just hoping my mom will bring me a plate from their dinner. That would be so lovely.

Me married to a biker DH with DS (16) and DD (1).  caffix.gif

Quote:
Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

User Tag List