what to pack for a long hospital stay - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Baby didn't pass her tests yesterday and the docs are having me check in to the hospital tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how long I will have to stay there--maybe a week or maybe several weeks until they determine it is time to induce. I've come to terms with the situation but would like some advice about what to bring with me.

I'm thinking I'll pack basic hygiene items, panties, socks, my laptop, ipod and some books. I think it's really going to suck to have to hang out in a hospital room for a long period of time.

(Currently in week 33)
#2 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 AM

Aw, sorry to hear about your hospital stay. I would pack a housecoat if you have one in case it is chilly, and comfortable nighties to wear / pjs if they will let you. Slippers are a good idea, too. Do you have a laptop or portable dvd player?

Also, I can't imagine sleeping anywhere without my body pillow right now, but not everybody uses them or maybe the hospital will provide extra pillows? idk.

Hoping your hospital stay is sweet and pleasant with a lovely healthy baby at the end of it. <3

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#3 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 AM

DDC crashing - I was hospitalised twice at the end of my pregnancy, and was there for a week and a half for the birth.

For me, hospitals are BORING! So things like dvds, books are great. What saved me in the end was wireless internet! Beg borrow or steal a wireless modem, it made me feel much more connected with the world!

Ear plugs would also be good, rooming with other pregnant women who need to pee every hour or who snore can totally disrupt sleep!

I hated being in pjamas, so I just wore comfortable street clothes, and in the end bras and tops with pj bottoms.

I hope things go well for you and your little one.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#4 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM

I'm sorry, that stinks!

I second the body pillow/pillows idea. Hospital beds are so uncomfortable! And definitely wear your own clothes/pj's. Maybe some of your own teas/snacks?

I don't know what test baby didn't pass, but hope she's ok and you get to come home soon! Keep us posted!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#5 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Great suggestions already. I'm big into lists and writing, so I'd pack paper and pencils. Extra socks that you can just toss because hospital floors are yucky or maybe slippers that have actual soles.

Hope all goes well.
#6 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I agree on the pillows, too. They tend to be in limited supply, and you may not be able to get more than one or two of the hospital-supplied ones. I've been told to bring colored pillowcases to clearly differentiate. I don't see how anyone could confuse a hospital pillow with a home pillow anyways, but it doesn't seem a bad idea.

Flip-flops or something to wear in the shower (assuming you're allowed up) aren't a bad idea, especially in hospitals without private showers in the room.

A phone card if you don't have a cell phone, aren't allowed to use it (most hospitals do allow them these days), or get bad reception. Otherwise you probably won't be able to call long distance.

A plan for bringing food from home for at least some meals. Hospital food tends to get old.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#7 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Lots of good advice here. Also, chapstick, lotion, headphones, sweater or jacket.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 PM

DDCC-
A blanket depending on the hospital. All the hospitals Ive ever stayed at have been freezing and none of them had extra blankets to use. Luckily my DH brought me my favorite blanket from home to cuddle with when I was cold.
Pictures of your other children if you have any.
Snacks! Hospital food SUCKS I always get sick after eating it. So, whenever I know Ill be there more than a couple of hours I bring a bag of snacks. One time I didn't (ambulance ride) I was there 6 days and DH kept forgetting to bring me food so I was so hungry by the end.
Cell phone and charger. Charger for laptop/IPod/anything else electronics. Digital camera and charger just in case you go into labor in the middle of the night. That way your partner doesn't have to think about something else while trying to get to you.
slippers or extra thick socks. Preferably slippers if you are going to be able to get up and walk around at all, don't want to slip and fall on top of everything else.
shoes to wear in the shower (maybe its just me but communal showers are yucky to me, I always wear shoes when I'm in them)
Any meds. Might sound odd but I have asthma (luckily i haven't had an attack since I was pregnant with DD1) and I didn't realize they would want me to have the inhaler while in labor (just slipped my mind), it took 7 hours for them to get the prescription approved, have the pharmacy fill it, send someone down to get it and bring it back up. I was only in labor at the hospital for 4 hours so it didn't make it before end of labor.
Anything that you use or might want to use when you get stressed. If you have a favorite music/pillow/lotion/soap/whatever that you use just when you are upset/stressed then bring it. You will probably need it.
Razors if you shave, I lucked out the one time I was in the hospital for non-baby related illness that it was a military hospital so they snagged a razor from one of the male hygiene kits for me.
Journal, writing paper, extra pens/pencils. Crossword or other puzzle book.
If you knit or do needle point/other crafty work, then bring that. You will have a LOT of time to kill and movies/music/books are going to get boring after a while.
If you can fit your best friend in your bag

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 AM

No advice, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Thinking good thoughts of health for both you and the babe!

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#10 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post
DDC crashing - I was hospitalised twice at the end of my pregnancy, and was there for a week and a half for the birth.

For me, hospitals are BORING! So things like dvds, books are great. What saved me in the end was wireless internet! Beg borrow or steal a wireless modem, it made me feel much more connected with the world!

Ear plugs would also be good, rooming with other pregnant women who need to pee every hour or who snore can totally disrupt sleep!

I hated being in pjamas, so I just wore comfortable street clothes, and in the end bras and tops with pj bottoms.

I hope things go well for you and your little one.
DDC crashing as well, and I agree with all this!

I was in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks before DD was born. I would have been bored to tears without my laptop.

I wore yoga pants and comfortable socks, and a sleep bra with the hospital gown.

Ear plugs are essential. Even if you have a private room, you still might be able to hear the toilet flush in the next room, or the nurses chatting in the hallway, or if you're lucky enough to be on the L&D floor, babies being born!

I would have loved to have read to my heart's content, but I had severe headaches and floaters, so couldn't focus for too long. I watched a lot of HGTV and Food Network!

Bring lots of snacks. I know I always felt uncomfortable bothering the nurses for snacks between meals, so my hubby brought me some granola bars and candy bars.

Soft tissues, lip balm, and hand lotion are good to have too. The hospital tissues are like sandpaper, and the air is so dry in hospitals that lip balm and hand lotion are great!

Good luck to you and your little one!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Comfy clothes!! I'm a fan of PJ's,myself. And felt way better once my Mom brought my PJs to me when I got sentenced to the hospital.

Laptop with wireless and books to read were how I got through the rest. I listened to music on my laptop too.

Good Luck!!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page