Birth Prep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's everyone doing to prepare for labor & delivery? If having a c-section, what are you doing to prepare? Other than the nesting stuff, like are you starting EPO, changing exercise? Whatever?

We're almost there, ladies! Next thursday (not this one) I will be 36 weeks and starting some birth prep stuff more intensely. Though not as much as with #4. I need this kid to hang out until at least 39 weeks!!!

I've started my vitamin K, probiotics, and more magnesium. I need to exercise more but have been doing cat/cow stretches and walking.

Next week I start garlic, EPO, and probably more bellydance or yoga stretches. I feel like I'm forgetting something!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently I've taken to squatting really deep... I've never felt pulled to do that before but I find myself in that position quite a lot lately.

I'm hoping in the next week to pick up a few more supplements. EPO being one... and I would like to get a cal/mag... I'm just not sure which to get and I can't afford an expensive one. Vitamin K... hmm... didn't really give that one a lot of thought. Is it necessary you think? I'll also probably start to drink a lot more of my tea than I have been... the bh contractions were scary but I'll be 36 weeks this Sunday, I'll be able to embrace them better then.

I found myself waking up the other night (more than once) with my butt up in the air, on my knees with my head down. Baby seems to have moved into a little better position since then but then last night he/she seemed uncomfortable and kept me up for a couple hours rolling around in there. I'm wondering if he flipped?? I think we're still head down.

Oh! and I think I will be a lot more religious about taking my floradix. I've taken it a few times since it arrived, I like it.. it makes me feel pretty good usually but I'm forgetful. I also need to pick up some prenatals and fish oil.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I need a new bottle of floravital, myself. The vitamin K my mw recommended and I have seen recommended elsewhere and on here to prevent pph. Liquid chlorophyll works, too, but let's just say it had some more than severe disgusting side effects for me, so I went with the vit K pills (100 mcg).

I've also been drinking my RRL/Oatstraw/Alfalfa/Nettle tea, too. 1 quart a day...when I remember to make it!

#4 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM

I just ordered the 5-W and will start taking it tomorrow. I've never done anything before besides rrl so we'll see if this helps.

SAHM to Thaddeus 5 and Violet 3. Wife to Mike for 6 years. Expecting Leo 11/10/2010.
#5 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 PM

I need to start drinking RRL tea again. I drank it almost daily in the first tri, now I haven't had any in months. Just wondering, what are the benefits of taking EPO? I also need to buy a new bottle of Floradix, I'm all out.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#6 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Stay calm! I feel really relaxed about birth this time so I want to stay relaxed. I think I am accepting that my body is going to do this and I am not really in control. I can't make it happen a certain way or on a certain day.

Otherwise just keep taking my vitamins and stay hydrated, try to walk some and eat delicious foods. I may start a calcium supplement.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#7 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 06:52 PM

i have been trying to walk everyday..its brutal but its good too. im sleeping better for it. also trying to nap daily, even just for a short time to catch up on some sleep before im deprived again.. i have my nettles and RRL on the counter in jars leering at me.. but as of yet im not that inspired to drink it. also have EPO & fish oil blend that i need to start taking..probably will next week. i have been doing better at taking my prenatals.. and lots of long hot baths with Epsom salts

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM

I have upped my chiro visits, and have been trying to do more stretches, more kegels. I have been eating better for the most part (okay the bag of Kit Kats last week doesnt count ).

I have been terrible about my prenatals, floradix, fish oil lately, but Im glad you are all reminding me -- I also think squats and some of the Kundalini Yoga video would be a good idea (Gamurkh's video) as that helped me to get centered last time.

Vit K, magnesium and EPO -- (i am sure it is something obvious but what does EPO stand for?) --- can you guys tell me more about those and why they were recommended? My MW hasnt said anything about any of them, and I am curious.

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#9 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM

I've upped my RRL tea intake, at 36 weeks I'm starting EPO and at 37 weeks EZ Birth. Mostly trying to just relax and 'Be' for the last few weeks.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#10 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM

I will be taking RRL daily starting Friday (35w) and will up it every few days from there. I'd have started it sooner, but since I've been having contractions since 25 weeks, I didn't want to risk irritating my incredibly annoyed uterus.

Also, since I've been under orders to rest as much as possible and avoid much physical activity (basically modified bedrest)... I'm going to start walking daily at 35w. If it starts bringing on strong/regular ctx, I'll stop until 36w. I've been doing squats, visualization, stretching, and other things, but have to keep it light.

I am *so* excited to be able to start exercising again. Even if it brings on a few ctx, it isn't as worrisome after 35w.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#11 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM

Um... Nothing. But now that I've read what everyone is doing I feel like I need to get started! I was thinking about doing EPO, liquid vit. K, and drinking more RRL tea.

Oh, my Chiropracter cautioned me with taking hig levels of magnesium after 37-38 weeks. Apparently it can prevent labor from starting. It makes sense considering they use magnesium in the hospitals to stop pre-term labor.
#12 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Really? I took 2 tsp. of Mama Calm daily and had my youngest on her due date. I started taking it around 8 months.

#13 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Gathering the last of the home birth supplies. I currently have a water trough in my tiny living room. The boys love it. Also gathering things to make the day very special for the two big brothers--like getting a 'cake in a box' for them to make for the baby, and some birthday gifts they can give (and a couple gifts for them, too!).

Gathered the EPO and some more RRL tea to start taking when I reach 37 weeks in 11 days. Until then I am taking it very easy as we've had a pretty 'contraction-y' last few weeks. I just want to make absolute sure we make it to 37, then I'm lettin' loose with the long walks and letting DS2 nurse whenever and however long he wants, etc.

I'm feeling so ready to meet our little boy. He has been in great positions (always LOA or ROA) for the last weeks, and I am hoping he'll start inching his way lower and lower very soon (but not until 37 weeks!).

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#14 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm so excited that we're getting closer! I'm not quite as far along as others--just about 33 weeks. Still, feels like birth day is coming soon! Here's what I've been doing:

Walking every day--pretty slowly, just a couple of miles, but makes me feel much better.

Yoga every night--lots of cat cows and squats

I was eating way too much sugar, so I took a 10 week no-sugar pledge--from 30 weeks to my due date or when the babe comes, whichever is sooner. It's helping me to eat way better.

I've slacked a bit on the pregnancy tea, but have a quart brewing on the stove now, so I'm trying to get back into it. Thinking I might alternate with straight RRL....

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#15 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 AM

I'm trying to do a variety of things...

Sitting on the birth ball, hands/knees over it, pelvic tilts, squats, and kegels. I need to be doing "real" exercise more and keep thinking I will now that the weather is gorgeous. Then I sit down and feel like it's impossible to get up.

I am trying to remember to take my vitamins and fish oil. I've been rather bad about that the entire time. And I am considering brewing up some pregnancy tea to try. I have also been forgetting my floradix and adrenals and should be taking both of those. I did get a cal/mag recently and need to take that, too. Goodness. (FWIW, I got it at my chiro's office and it was rather cheap - a citrate powder much like Natural Calm.)

I have been and will continue to be going to my chiro regularly and doing massages once or twice a month. I really need those for pain relief (though the massages hurt a ton while getting them!) and for preparing my pelvis for birth. Thankfully, those are harder to forget because I actually feel badly when I don't do it!

I have thought about EPO and such and am not sure if I'll bother with it this time. I know my cervix is already in pretty good shape for labor so I don't know that it's really necessary. I haven't been drinking RRL tea at all, either, but have had bazillions of BH and a good bit of light "real" ctxs, too. So, again, not sure it's necessary.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#16 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM

My iron tested a bit borderline and with my dr's advice, I'm trying to boost it through diet. Hemoglobin was actually at 11, which she said is pretty darn good for twins at this point-- but it would be good to build up some reserves.

Sadly I can't really tolerate my fish oil anymore. Terrible heartburn.... yuck.

Other than that, I still walk about 1.5 miles daily. I'm starting to work from home 1-2 days a week to give myself some extra rest. I'm only 32.5 weeks so the main thing I'm doing is a lot of "stay in babies" affirmations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page