Prodromal Labor... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post
Didn't really sleep last night but I got a nap today. Back is killing me when I have the ctx, but they aren't getting any closer together or more intense and I haven't had any more progress with my cervix. I'm thinking this is just going to be a very drawn out prodromal period.
Awww, that stinks. I guess the prodromal stuff can get really old, huh?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the difference between prodomal labor and Braxton-Hicks contractions? I've been having a ton of BH and they're driving me batty, but I'm only 34 weeks.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Awww, that stinks. I guess the prodromal stuff can get really old, huh?
Yep. Gets very old, very fast. Still, it will *eventually* lead to a baby, which is nice.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
What's the difference between prodomal labor and Braxton-Hicks contractions? I've been having a ton of BH and they're driving me batty, but I'm only 34 weeks.
For me, the differentiation is that BH contractions are purely abdominal and occur very irregularly. Prodomal labor contractions extend around to the back and/or feel like they're stretching the cervix (and presumably I'm right about that, seeing as I did dilate some from where I was before they started) and occur more frequently and regularly - like I'll go for an hour or two having them every 5-10 minutes before they die down again.

No clue if that actually corresponds with the clinical definitions

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
For me, the differentiation is that BH contractions are purely abdominal and occur very irregularly. Prodomal labor contractions extend around to the back and/or feel like they're stretching the cervix (and presumably I'm right about that, seeing as I did dilate some from where I was before they started) and occur more frequently and regularly - like I'll go for an hour or two having them every 5-10 minutes before they die down again.

No clue if that actually corresponds with the clinical definitions
I think that's a pretty good explanation. Seems everyone does experience them a bit differently, but I definitely have them in my back and low in my pelvis in addition to the abdominal sensation like you described.

Although for me they don't stop, really. I've been having them every 20-30 minutes since last Saturday with only a few breaks here or there. They just don't get more intense or closer together. When I had prodromal ctx with DS, I'd have them for upwards of 12 hours at a time with no increase in frequency or intensity.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I think the definition of "real" uterine ctxs that don't intensify or get closer together is probably a good one. I have also heard prodromal labor called one that does not cause cervical changes, but IME and what I'm observing from everyone in the DDC, these early ctxs ARE causing changes - minor as they may be.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 AM

I'm with ya, except this has been going on since 31 weeks

I am closed but 2 weeks ago I was 70% effaced so who knows.

I'm miserable. I'm 36 weeks today and I kind of feel like I want to punch someone in the face. I deal with the up at night timing them too.

Ugh.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that the prodromal labor has quieted a bit the last couple of days. I just have tons of pressure. I told my DH that as soon as I relax for a day or two this baby is coming and my body is telling me to do just that. Relax AND rest. With that said, I tried to check my cervix earlier and I couldn't find it today. The baby's was head was so low I was scared to look for it. Seriously, the baby's head was so low, I couldn't reach up to my second knuckle. This baby is ready to come out!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madis81 View Post
The baby's was head was so low I was scared to look for it. Seriously, the baby's head was so low, I couldn't reach up to my second knuckle. This baby is ready to come out!
Same here. My others didn't get this low until some point during labor. I CANNOT believe that I've been walking around with her this low for a week now and she hasn't fallen out yet!

I'm considering AI to see if it helps bring anything on, because actual sex seems physically impossible seeing how low she is.

Anyways, mine has been low for a week, and I've been poking around at my cervix the whole time (not literally, obviously. I do occasionally do other things), and she's not out yet, so I think you're safe if you want to search a little harder.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM

I'll join the low baby club. I was walking around the store today and honestly felt like I needed to keep my legs closer together because she was just gonna fall out . I do not remember feeling this way with the other kids. Had some contractions last night in the middle of the night. They weren't really waking me up, but I just "knew" they were there. Seems like any time I try to use my abdominal muscles, I get a contraction.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Okay, I need to whine a bit. It's been a week now. The past two nights have yielded very erratic sleep because I'm up so often with the ctx. No cervical progression, in fact I think it's a bit thicker, and she's actually higher today than she has been for the last week.

There's still some confusion on my dates because I took clomid to get pregnant as I do not usually ovulate on my own. When I do, I ovulate on CD16 or so. The cycle I conceived, my chart showed a 'maybe' ovulation on around there. My EDD of Nov 12th (based on an early scan) means I would have ovulated on CD26, but there's nothing even remotely O-ish on my chart at that point. This pregnancy started off as twins, but we lost one meaning there's a lot of conflicting data. So I could be in my 37th week instead of my 36th.

Because of this, I haven't been doing anything to encourage labour at all and am still taking it a bit easy because if she needs more time, I'm not going to force the issue, kwim? But I REALLY wish this would just progress to real labour or stop altogether.

Kay

User Tag List