Halloween! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any plans for Halloween?

I don't have any trick or treaters of my own, so I'm probably going to stay home and hand out candy to the little ones - and try not to eat too much chocolate while I'm at it. I have resisted buying halloween candy so far for that reason only!

DP and I usually make a big deal out of Halloween and put a lot of effort into making costumes but this year I am giving up and I think so is he. So far the best two ideas I've had were to go as Totoro (I'm already nearly as round!) or a bumblebee, which would be significantly easier.

Anybody plan on dressing up or have neat pregnancy costume ideas?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#2 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Since I found out I was pg I have been searching for a cool pg halloween costume. I'm at a loss! I'll probably just be a cat again. I've dressed up every Halloween except maybe last year...I dressed up for my dh's band's gig that night, but didn't to trick or treat (I went in a Chemise a la Reine from the 1700's).

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Samhain is a big holiday for me, so I'll be doing a rit in the evening and cleansing my house for the new year. This year, I'm going to have DS participate for the first time.

We don't make a huge deal about Hallowe'en, though DS still will get to go trick or treating.

He's going as Mario, and if I am still pregnant, I have a shirt that I'm drawing a 1Up mushroom on.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#4 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Halloween is one of my fav holidays (2nd to Thanksgiving) so I usually go all out decorating the house and inventing costumes. This year though I don't have nearly the motivation nor the energy to go hog wild. The kids have already been asking when we'll put up the decorations so I know we've got to get to that soon.

As for costumes, I'm trying to keep things simple. My dds costumes are ready to go and I'll probably go around to some thrift stores to get random articles of clothing needed for my boys'. AFM, I'm going to be a pregnant skeleton. I got a men's black long sleeve shirt and I'm gonna use fabric paint to do the bones and a fetus skeleton. That's about as spooky as I think I'm going to get this year. I imagine by the time Halloween actually rolls around it'll take all the energy I have to walk with the kids around the neighborhood.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#5 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Actually, for the longest time I've been sort of hoping I'll be giving birth that day! We are really not at all into Halloween, partly because of our faith and partly 'cause I just don't like all the spooky, icky, goulish stuff. So for me, having baby's b-day be October 31st would really "redeem" the day for me! I think it would be a fun excuse to have costume birthday parties, too!

Plus, at that point I'll be less than 1 week from my EDD, and DH is convinced that our little guy will be born on a Sunday because that is the most inconvenient day of the week for us! He keeps envisioning himself having to call someone at 2 am to say that he won't be able to lead the music at church that morning.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#6 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Depends on when the baby is born, really. The older kids will be going out to trick-or-treat. If I'm still pregnant at that point, my due date will be the next day, and I rather doubt I'll feel like being out trick-or-treating based on how I'm feeling now. Since we aren't in a neighborhood which is likely to get trick-or-treaters with the possible exception of a single family, I'll probably just hang out while they go.

If the baby is here, I have a costume for her (same thing DD wore ). We may go out with the older kids, depending on when the birth actually happens and how we're both doing, or just wear it around the house.

I went out trick-or-treating with DD (well, brought her along when I took DS trick-or-treating - it wasn't just her and me!) when she was a month old, but it was daytime trick-or-treating on a relatively warm day. I don't think it'll be a good idea with an even newer baby in cooler temperatures.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#7 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM

I don't like the spooky stuff. I just like candy, dressing up, and acting like a big kid.

Dh insists I'll have this baby on Halloween. That is one day this baby is officially BANNED from coming out. We will go trick or treating, and I refuse for my water to break on someone's porch or something.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

My husband is insisting on me being a basketball in the hoop with the backboard. He's going to make it. I am really excited because we are going trick or treating in the town that I used to go growing up. There are lots of hills and stairs so I'm hoping it will help put me into labor

Afterward we will come home and watch the Steelers game!

SAHM to Thaddeus 5 and Violet 3. Wife to Mike for 6 years. Expecting Leo 11/10/2010.
#9 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm alright with a little bit of spooky stuff but my imagination runs wild and then I don't sleep for a couple weeks.

I mostly just really love the creativity that people put into costumes, the fun of getting together and pretending to be something else for a night! I think that costumes really help people come out of their shells and I always end up meeting incredible people on Halloween... I did originally meet my babydaddy at a Halloween party, afterall!

Ashley - The pregnant skeleton idea is AWESOME! I hope to see pictures!!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#10 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I have a c/s scheduled for Oct. 27th, so I'll be home with babe and DH will take the others out trick or treating. IF I'm able to be mobile enough I'll pass candy out at home, otherwise I just hang tight.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#11 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post
He's going as Mario, and if I am still pregnant, I have a shirt that I'm drawing a 1Up mushroom on.
My little guy is wanting to be Mario too - the mushroom shirt is a good idea.

I'm hoping that I'm not still pregnant by Halloween. I know that I won't be up for walking with the kids if I still am. I also don't go for spooky stuff but am all about the chocolate .
#12 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

I sewed DD a wicked awesome pirate costume. This is the first year we will take her out trick or treating, probably just a couple houses and my parents house. Hopefully I'm still pregnant so I can go to! The only thought I had for a costume for myself is Michelle Duggar, but that's probably too easy, .

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#13 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 PM

I love Halloween also! If this baby comes 8 days early like my son did then that would fall on Halloween.

I was going to sew the kids costumes but time flew by and I still have lots to get done so we settled on buying some.

I am debating dressing up, I was thinking of going as Juno and carrying around some Sunny D.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#14 of 16 Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM

My husband is really hoping for a halloween baby! I wouldn't mind--that would mean the baby would share a birthday month with my daughter! We are invited to a "costume's encouraged" birthday party on saturday (for a friend's one year old) and I have absolutely no ideas for a costume. If I'm even pregnant then, finding normal clothing that fits me at all will be a challenge! None of my shirts cover my belly at this point.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#15 of 16 Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ugh. DP leaves for Mexico tomorrow morning & won't be back until LATE on 11/1/10 - so I'm solo this year, blah. Almost 37 weeks taking 3 kids trick-or-treating ALONE.

As soon as the kids found out I was pregnant, they decided they would paint my belly orange and draw a jack-o-lantern face on it. I guess that means I have to go out in a sports bra or something? Ideas?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#16 of 16 Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM

i love any excuse to dress up in a costume - so i love halloween! my kids are getting a little older so they appreciate the dress-up factor as well. (we do a small amount of trick-or-treating on our block, but i have them trade their stash for organic and/or gluten-free candy/chocolate) we go out early in the evening (6:30ish) and then they help distribute our candy to our trick-or-treaters.

when i was PG with my first kid, i had a decent belly (he was born in early jan) so i made a jack-o-lantern costume. it's an orange t-shirt with a face right over the baby bump i was able to use it again for kid #3 (born in dec) and i look forward to squeezing into it this time again!

Crunchy Catholic Cancer Survivor
Married SAHM to DS (6) DD (4) DS (2) and DS born Nov 17, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page