Mothering Forum banner

Connor and Seamus are here. UPDATE #5

4K views 89 replies 39 participants last post by  Yuba_River 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Connor Ambrose and Seamus Antioch were born October 13th (I was 35 weeks to the day) at 8:08 and 8:11 respectively.

Connor weighs 5pounds 2 ounces and is 18 1/2inch long.
Seamus is 3 pounds 9 ounces and 16 1/4 inch long.

Both boys are doing well but Connor is fairing much better than his brother so far. Seamus was at first doing well with just an oxygen tent but had a set back and now is receiving medication to lubricate his lungs and direct oxygen. He is sooo tiny. You spend time with Connor and think "wow what a tiny little baby" but then go over a couple of lines to be with Seamus and suddenly Connor looks HUGE compared to his brother.

I'm doing great which I guess is good but I kind of wish I was having some sort of problem so that my dr's could find a reason to keep me in the hospital longer. Still not sure how we are going to maneuver all of that especial since it looks like Connor will be coming home before Seamus and the hospital is 2 hours from home.

Oh, and the birth story! I woke up Monday morning at around 4:30 a.m. with a constant pain in my upper middle abdomen and went on to the hospital afraid I might be experiencing placental problem. They checked me and I was dilated to 3 and effaced 80%. At some point I was transferred to a larger hospital with a NICU and started on steroids and meds every 3 hours to stop labor. On the 13th I woke up at 7:30 a.m. feeling like I needed to pee sat forever and figured false alarms stood up and my water broke! At 8:08 my first twin arrived and 3 minutes later his brother came to join us.

Pumping is going well and we are hoping to put Connor to the breast tomorrow. Speaking of which am getting off of here and going to pump again. Will post as I get a chance. Good luck to all of you as you continue down your pregnancies.

See less See more
#33 ·
Congratulations, mama!

I'm glad to hear you are all doing well and hope they are both home with you quickly.

#34 ·
Thank you all.

Also thank you for the complements on the names we have had them picked out for a long time now and they really mean a lot to us so that made me very happy to see how many people liked their names.

I went back looking and saw KittyWitty had posted for me on the weekly chat and I want to say thank you to you
I wanted to let you guys know as soon as possible but didn't know how to do it. I have a friend that knows my password and could post it on facebook, but there was no way he was going to figure out were and how to post for me on my DDC or even what one was.
So thank you.

Today is a sad and good day. Connor was doing really well but had a sudden drop in... well just about everything. He has been taken off feeding for a while and is being given antibiotics and the touch of apnea that he had at the beginning has gotten worse.
But things change so fast for these little guys hopefully I will have a better update as soon as possibly this afternoon.

Seamus had a rocky start but is actually starting to pass his brother up health wise. He is tolerating breastmilk through a tube really well and it is a big maybe cross your fingers that I "might" be able to put him to the breast this afternoon. He is on room air now as well.

Hopefully both of my boys will be filling good and healthy soon.

I feel great, my dr has managed to get me to stay until Saturday
I miss my other children so badly I can hardly wait to see them all together.

Oh! And one more thing. I wasn't sure if my original description explained it well or not but both boys were born vaginal so no c-section.
In fact it went really well not a tear or anything, my legs and back from being on bedrest so long hurts more than anything else.

#36 ·
I'm so sorry today has been rocky.
You're right, though. Things change awfully quickly - for good or bad - with the little bitty ones. I hope the good news is coming quickly!

And
hooray for a vaginal birth! I wasn't sure from your initial description if it was a stat c/s or a fast vaginal birth. So glad it was the latter!
I'm glad you get to stay on for a bit and be with them, too. Hopefully you can find some way to be closer until they're home.

#40 ·
Thank you everyone.

Sorry it has taken a while to post anything but I have been having trouble getting to a computer. We are staying at a GREAT charity orginization very close to the hospital but the computers are hard to get some privacy on during the day and I am just too tired at night. Our laptop has been having issues and not really working right, maybe a virus? So if you are on facebook with me and are getting a bunch of fronterville spam that is SO NOT me, my friend has been using my account to play the game and get stuff for his people on the game. I wouldnt mind except some family have been thinking I am not updating about the twins but playing that game.
I am going to have to put a stop to it for the time being.

That being said my update is bitter sweet. Seamus (our little guy) is doing GREAT other than the tube for feeding he is completly off of everything. He is taking 2oz of breastmilk at a feeding (although through the tube, still hasnt figured out how to suck). It is amazing how well he is doing and yet sooo tiny.

Connor is having a rough go at it. He has an infection. From what they tell me it is something that sometimes just develops in premature babies and that he didnt catch it from anyone or anything. So they are having to pump a lot of fluids with antibiotics through his I.V. but his little veins keep closing up and then they have to move the I.V. and it takes forever and he screams so hard when they are trying to get it back in, it is one of the most painful things I have ever had to let happen as a mother. I know it has to be done but it breaks my heart everytime. So yesterday they tried to put in a deepline I.V. but couldnt get it in. They are going to try again today. I am so scared about this but it is coming to the point were putting the I.V. in 4 plus times a day is torture for the poor guy. I am praying they get it in today and that the antibiotics work out the problems he has been having. He keeps having apnea episodes that they believe are caused by the infection. Please keep praying.

My body is doing something strange. I kept having high blood pressure reads after the twins were born, so they put me on blood pressure medication. I am still having trouble with this and everytime I do anything but lay down my feet and legs double in size with swelling withen 30 minutes. Should I be worried? I have never had a blood pressure problem before, even while pregnant with the twins.

My dh is gone to go get the kids and bring them over for the day, I am so excited! I have not seen my other 5 children since I first let for the hospital Monday morning. I had gotten to the point were I couldnt even look at anything child related without bursting into tears. I am hoping having them spend the night will be just the thing I/we need to get us through another week and then hopefully we will be able to bring them all back up for another overnight visit. And then... who knows... maybe just maybe prayerfully we will be able to bring BOTH of the twins home.

Will try to update in a couple of days, sooner if we can get out laptop fixed.

#41 ·
Sasha

I'm so sorry about Connor. I'll be praying for him and Seamus.

It sounds like you should call your doctor and let them know what's going on with you, too. It doesn't hurt to throw it out there, you know?

I hope things get better for all of you soon!

#43 ·
I'm sorry about Connor- that sounds really rough. I hope they get his infection treated soon! I'm glad you finally get to see your other kids. That will be good for all of you. I hope you figure out what's going on wiht you and I'll keep praying that you're all healthy and home soon.

#46 ·
Aw Sasha.
All of those postpartum hormones on top of everything must be really tough. I hope both boys get to come home soon. I remember the nurse trying continually to do the heel prick on Dd2 when she was a day old & she was *screaming.* Dd1 got so upset she slammed her little 3 yr old fist against the glass & shouted "Stop hurting my baby!"

I'll be thinking of all of you.

#47 ·
Definitely talk to someone about the swelling issues. I hope your sweet little guys are both strong and healthy soon!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.