Connor and Seamus are here. UPDATE #5 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!

as for the extra milk - hooray! - please do consider donating it locally. The hospital lactation consultant might know of a place. Or post here in your local Tribe forum, or check MilkShare.com

I have several friends whose babies have had donated milk. It is a great gift!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#62 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all, your support really does mean more to me than you all can possible imagine.

The stuff with my MIL has and IS driving me insane. I am so angry and I am having a very hard time letting it go. It doesn't help that we keep finding out more and more things that went on and each new thing drives the anger level higher. For instance we have a friend house sitting for us now that none of us are there and he calls up the first night and asks "Sasha... umm... I'm looking in your fridge and... what was Mazzy eating this past week?" Turns out that even though we gave her $200 for a weeks worth of groceries MIL had spent it all on cakes, frozen meals and CANDY. This would be bad enough but it makes it down right abusive when you take into account that Mazzy (our oldest dd) is diabetic! I called and asked Mazzy about it and she told me that she hadn't wanted to worry me and had been making herself some things we had in the freezer before hand, but other than that just kind of going without!!!!! I am SOOOOOOO mad and horrified that could have been deadly for my daughter! MIL will never, ever, ever watch my kids again.

Sorry about my tantrum. I'm just having a hard time dealing with this on top of everything else. We are trying to find a place to rent close to the hospital so we can all be together but having a hard time finding a place that doesn't require a lease.

TWIN UPDATE

It is amazing how well things are going and how good God has been to us. Both boys are just waiting to learn to eat and other than that they are perfectly fine. I asked the care team how long this will take and they told us that ultimately anything can always happen but that they can have a pretty good gauge on how long it usually takes based on there current behavior with nipple and based off that they are saying at least 2 weeks but probably closer to 3 weeks. They were really confused about this because it is pretty unusual for preemies that are born at 35 weeks to have this hard of a time with sucking so they asked if my due date could have been wrong. It was like a light bulb went off! Of course my date could have been WAY wrong. My daughter was 17 months old and I was still nursing her and I had that spotty period you have right before you are going to start having your regular menstrual cycle again. So several months went by and I realized I hadn't had my period yet so we took a pregnancy test and sure enough I was. By the time we finally got around to an ultrasound it was determined that I was 17 weeks pregnant and surprise surprise pregnant with twins! So now the doctors are way more relaxed about some of the set backs the boys have been having because it is all stuff they would have totally expected from them had I only been 32 or 33 weeks along. Ultimately we will never know though.

I took some great pictures the last night. I have no idea how to do it but as soon as I can pin my dh down long enough I am going to have him download some pictures and post them for you guys. Will try to update again in a few days.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#63 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! almost forgot. I asked at the boys hospital about donating milk and they dont have a program for it but there is a woman at the charity house we are staying at who has a preemie at another hospital in the city and she said she overheard the nurses there talking about having a low back supply in there donor milk freezer so I am going to call them this afternoon and see how I can go about doing that.

Also I think my medication must finally be working because I am not swelling now unless I am late in taking it. Have appointment with the doctor for myself next Friday. Have any of you ever heard of someone developing a blood pressure problem AFTER the baby is born???

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
#64 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Your MIL sounds infuriating!!! I am so sorry you are having to deal with that right now, too.

donating the milk sounds great! I'm sure the stress is not helping your blood pressure, either. I hope you find a rental soon. Some hotels have good extended stay programs that might work maybe? Might be cramped, but sounds safer than with your mil! I can't wait for pictures!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#65 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Just remembered one more thing! (can you tell that I am on a computer with a good Internet connection for the first time in days?)
I finally posted my complete birth story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1273507

When posted the first post on this thread I was SUPER super sleep deprived and put in a couple of oopsies about the time and weight of the boys. So I went ahead and fixed that. Ok... so now I have to leave this lovely, lovely computer with its fast internet connection.

Talk to you guys in a couple of days, keep those babies cooking.

#66 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow Sasha, so much going on! Oy, that would really make me angry if MIL did that - especially with a diabetic child.

Sounds like things are going okay with the boys - and wow, a change in due date totally makes sense!

I hope thing continue to improve and they figure out the nursing thing.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#67 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Oh wow - you are definitely right to be annoyed at your MIL. I'm glad your dd didn't have any glycemic issues while you were gone!

That's so exciting that the boys are doing so well - I can't wait to see pictures.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#68 of 90 Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Grrrr MILs!! I would be furious if someone fed my kid nothing but junk, and he isn't diabetic. Thank goodness your DD is old enough tolook out for herself!

Wish I had tome to write more, but I wanted to mention that pre-eclampsia can start or continue up to 6 weeks past birth, IIRC. Have your diva been checking your urine at all? I'm glad the med is starting to kick in.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#69 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Wow, Sasha. I just read your birth story as well as your other posts and I have to say I am so impressed with your strength going through everything you have in the past few months. I'm so glad to hear your boys are doing better.
#70 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 AM

I'm so happy to hear how well both the boys are doing! I think of them and you often and send good thoughts for lots of health and short hospital stays.

How horrible about your MIL. That's the last thing you need to be dealing with.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#71 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone guess who finally has pictures posted.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...66702114&saved

#72 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 AM

They are beautiful!!!!!!!
#73 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Oh those pictures are gorgeous!!!
And when I see them together, I still think about your story of them comforting each other in the womb

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#74 of 90 Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 AM

So adorable!

#75 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Wish I had tome to write more, but I wanted to mention that pre-eclampsia can start or continue up to 6 weeks past birth, IIRC. Have your diva been checking your urine at all? I'm glad the med is starting to kick in.
EEK! I so didnt know that! I think I would have been way more afraid when I was doing my super swelling if I had known. I had always thought it was just a while you were pregnant thing. My face is almost back to normal and I am finally wearing my shoes and wedding band again. So hopefully that means I am out of the danger zone but I am still taking the blood pressure meds 3 times a day, they didnt test my urine at all after the boys were born.

#76 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

So bad news good news time.

Remember when the doctors thought we had TTTS (twin to twin transfer syndrome) and they put me on bedrest? Then later they decided it was just twin discordance because the condition didnt get any worse? Well when the boys were born they still didnt think that was the problem because of something complicated that I didnt understand but had to do with equal blood results. Well today they did an echo-cardiogram on Connor because he still acts kind of weak and a little floppy and sure enough it came back that the muscle tissue of his heart is too thick. So they are doing an EKG in the morning and then the cardiology team are going to meet about a plan of action and a course of treatment and then we are supposed to all meet together on Friday. So... turns out it was TTTS after all.

They put the twins in the same crib together! They even bundled them up in the same blanket together! For some reason that science can not explain some times twins will perk up and start developing a lot faster when they are put together like that so their doctors felt like the boys would benefit from this treatment. I took some pictures and later tonight I will post them, cutest thing ever, totally reminds me of that wonderful ultrasound of them!
The boys have this nurse during the day that is really supportive of me trying to nurse the boys and has been really great at helping me get them both on to attempt tandem nursing. They still show NO desire to suck, from me or a bottle or anything, but they do latch on. Progress is progress and I am thankful for it.

Today was a very emotional day for me. Last night one of their doctors came over and had a long talk with me. He talked really sweet and yet at the same time very to the point about how exhausted I looked. He explained how it might be a good idea for me to go home and be with my other kids for a while and take a little break. We talked about how I needed to go home and do all the things I would be doing if I was still pregnant, getting things ready for the boys, spending extra time getting the older kids ready for the twins coming home and getting rest. We talked about a lot of other things as well and ultimately dh and I agreed that spending 2 days home and then 1 day at the hospital with the twins and then repeat that cycle would be best for everyone... I understand the logic behind all of that... but it still breaks my heart.

When I was trying to nurse the boys yesterday Seamus spat up on me and I leaked milk all over the place... I have refused to wash that shirt and keep it put up and take it down every so often.. it smells like new baby... Yeah... I have cried waaay too much today. Cant make up my mind if this is all normal response to a really rough and emotional situation or if I might be slipping into PPD. I just want my boys home so bad.

#77 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 PM

for Connor! I hope they get it figured out soon. And for you for all you're going through!

#78 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 PM

Sasha, that is so sweet that they have put the boys together! I'm sorry to hear about Connor. The doctor is probably right about you needing some time to rest, but it has to be so hard to be anywhere but with the twins right now. You are so strong! Hang in there. Maybe it's some comfort that wherever you have to be, they still have each other?
#79 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM

It has got to be hard to have to choose where you are. But it probably isn't a bad thing for you to catch up on sleep a little. Can you pump in the meantime so your milk supply doesn't go down?

I can't wait to see pictures of the little guys together.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#80 of 90 Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 PM

How difficult to feel divided like that.
#81 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post
So bad news good news time.

Remember when the doctors thought we had TTTS (twin to twin transfer syndrome) and they put me on bedrest? Then later they decided it was just twin discordance because the condition didnt get any worse? Well when the boys were born they still didnt think that was the problem because of something complicated that I didnt understand but had to do with equal blood results. Well today they did an echo-cardiogram on Connor because he still acts kind of weak and a little floppy and sure enough it came back that the muscle tissue of his heart is too thick. So they are doing an EKG in the morning and then the cardiology team are going to meet about a plan of action and a course of treatment and then we are supposed to all meet together on Friday. So... turns out it was TTTS after all.

They put the twins in the same crib together! They even bundled them up in the same blanket together! For some reason that science can not explain some times twins will perk up and start developing a lot faster when they are put together like that so their doctors felt like the boys would benefit from this treatment. I took some pictures and later tonight I will post them, cutest thing ever, totally reminds me of that wonderful ultrasound of them!
The boys have this nurse during the day that is really supportive of me trying to nurse the boys and has been really great at helping me get them both on to attempt tandem nursing. They still show NO desire to suck, from me or a bottle or anything, but they do latch on. Progress is progress and I am thankful for it.

Today was a very emotional day for me. Last night one of their doctors came over and had a long talk with me. He talked really sweet and yet at the same time very to the point about how exhausted I looked. He explained how it might be a good idea for me to go home and be with my other kids for a while and take a little break. We talked about how I needed to go home and do all the things I would be doing if I was still pregnant, getting things ready for the boys, spending extra time getting the older kids ready for the twins coming home and getting rest. We talked about a lot of other things as well and ultimately dh and I agreed that spending 2 days home and then 1 day at the hospital with the twins and then repeat that cycle would be best for everyone... I understand the logic behind all of that... but it still breaks my heart.

When I was trying to nurse the boys yesterday Seamus spat up on me and I leaked milk all over the place... I have refused to wash that shirt and keep it put up and take it down every so often.. it smells like new baby... Yeah... I have cried waaay too much today. Cant make up my mind if this is all normal response to a really rough and emotional situation or if I might be slipping into PPD. I just want my boys home so bad.
i just want to give you a million hugs. i can only try to imagine how worrisome and lonely it would be to be far away from them..even for a moment. im sorry about the bad news as well, but so glad they are letting them be together. it really does seem like the most natural & healing thing for them.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#82 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

New pics.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...&id=1066702114

(gotta learn how to do that thing where you make links nice and pretty with a nice short name on them...)

#83 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 AM

just wanted to give you some major cyber hugs, mama.

it's awesome that they are putting the boys together. i always took comfort in the fact that even though having twins makes it more difficult to AP each baby, they always have each other and that makes a big difference. i had mine together as much as possible until they were too big, and i really felt like that was the way it's supposed to be. that's at least one thing you can take comfort in to make your separations from them a little easier -- they still have each other, just as they have since the beginning of their existence!

as mama of twins AND a boy named connor (not one of my twins, though), your story hits close to home. of course you are overwhelmed and exhausted! i can only imagine what you are going through emotionally. sleep is a good thing. i hope you can get some healing rest while you're at home.

ETA: love the pics. i requested you as a friend but there wasn't a way to msg you to tell you who i am... you'll see we have mutual friends from MDC though.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#84 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Sasha, they're beautiful! That's wonderful that they're together! It makes total sense that they'd thrive together - it's all they've ever know, yk? Sounds like your supply is good, that's a good thing too.

I'm so sorry that you're feeling down and out. It's perfectly understandable with everything you've been through. It'll feel good to be with your family at home, but just remember you can always go back to the hospital whenever you want - it's not a rule that you *must* stay away for 2 days.

Hang in there, Mama.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#85 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM

What difficult news since I checked in last! I hope things aren't too bad with Connor's heart. And how difficult it must be to have to leave the boys! Divided three ways between older kids, the boys and taking care of yourself! I can see the necessity, however. And I'm glad that your swelling is going away.

The pictures of C and S together are so precious!

#86 of 90 Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Sasha, I have to agree that it sounds like you need some time at home. I'm keeping your little guys in my prayers. Thanks for posting pictures -- they're so cute together!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#87 of 90 Old 10-30-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

So much over the past few days...

So I went home and the older kids are doing SOOOOOO much better.

The heart thing so far looks stable and fine, something Connor will grow out of. But during that time they decided to check his sodium level and Seamus' as well. Connor's was low (125) but Seamus' was super low (108). So since my 4 year old had problems with his sodium and has regular checks with his regular endocrinologist (our 4 year old has a non functioning pituitary gland) they decide to call over at the larger hospital in the city and put there heads together on what to do. Ultimately they decided to move the boys to the larger hospital to try and get to the bottom of things and so the boys can be overseen by the same endocrinology team their brother is seen by.

I HATE this new hospital. It is huge and very impersonal. The nurse went ahead and told me that the boys would probably never have the same nurse more than once. Also at the hospital they were in they were in the same crib all bundled together and at the new hospital not only did they take them out of the shared bed but they have them in different rooms! They say it is against policy because of the fear of parents taking them home and putting them in same bed and the babies suffocating. I realized today that I never actually saw this "policy" so when we go back up Monday morning I am going to request to see it.

The boys endocrinologist is fantastic and one of the partners to their brothers dr so that is nice. Right now they are suspecting congenital adrenal hyperplasia but we wont have test results for a week or more. Even without the test results though they are treating them with the medication they would give them if they have it. So in a way we will "know" if they have it by Monday because if they do the treatment will show results by then and if they dont we will see no improvement.

Today Seamus' sodium was up to 120! So maybe it is working??? Who knows.

One really good thing though is I got to speak with a lactation consultant at the new hospital and she was absolutely FANTASTIC! Since coming home my milk supply had dropped by half. Which means I was still pumping enough for my boys right now but I was worried about future problems, so that was a good thing.

#88 of 90 Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Sasha - the worries never seem to end, do they? I hope you can have your wonderful little boys home with you soon.

#89 of 90 Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm sorry the hospital is not as good but I'm glad they're figuring things out, his level is better, and the LC is supportive.

#90 of 90 Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Thinking of you and your boys often! The hospital switch sounds hard, but hopefully it will mean they can come home sooner.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page