Advice and sayings to remember during labor. Suggestions, anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So November is right around the corner and babies are about to start popping out right and left. (Congrats to the mamas who already had theirs!)

This is my first baby and I plan on going the all natural route however, I know that it's going to get tough because labor is, well... labor! I wanted to put together a decorated page of encouraging sayings to read aloud to myself when I need encouragement the most!

So does anyone have any inspirational sayings to keep in mind during labor? Or just general advice for us new mamas?

I have two sayings so far so I'll start. Chime in with anything and everything!

1. Women have been having babies naturally for thousands of years. Trust your body!

2. Each contraction/wave is bringing your baby that much closer to being in your arms. Don't think of them as painful, think of them as productive.

Anyone else?

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#2 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM

I'm a science/math person by nature, so I need to think about what my body is actually doing, then everything is manageable. So these aren't little sayings, but more things about how your body works.

(I think I got this first image from Ina May, but maybe not...)

Your uterus has long muscles that start at the top and then go down and connect with your cervix. So contractions start at the top, and then you feel the tightening travel down to your cervix. Your cervix is a simple sphincter, that is being pulled by the long uterine muscles and it dilates because you are relaxing and it is being pulled up and over the baby's head. Just like a turtleneck sweater. Your cervix is pulled over the babies head, dilating with relaxation, over your baby's head, like a turtleneck sweater.

The other thing I like to think about is the baby's natural reflex---when you push on the bottom of their feet, they stretch their legs out. So when your uterus is contracting, the baby is pushing against your uterus. In the early stages, this helps add pressure to your cervix, so the baby is helping you dilate. And then the really cool part is that when you contract during second stage (pushing) the baby is pushing their way out!

Finally, just remember that all of us, at some point, have to simply *give in* to our labors and let our bodies take over. I think this is the part most of us have a hard time with. Relinquish control to your instinctual body and the baby---they know more than your brain does!

Happy Birthing! I can't believe we're knocking on that door so soon!!!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#3 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM

my favorite birth affirmation is "your contractions cannot be stronger than you because they are you"

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
my favorite birth affirmation is "your contractions cannot be stronger than you because they are you"
This is one on my list! I also have the hypnobabies pg and birth affirmations I listen to.

Strangely enough, it helped with my last birth to think about when my momma cat had kittens. She was so calm and graceful about it like it was the most natural thing. It helped me focus on my body and how natural this was so I would work with it instead of against it.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM

DDCC-

My favorite advice is from Ina May: Concentrate on relaxing your face... because when your face is relaxed, so is everything else.

Happy Birthing!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#6 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 AM

DDDC here:

Okay, this may sound really, really stupid but here goes: Did you see Zoolander where Derek is being forced to watch that propoganda video and Mugatu is dressed like a little boy? The part where he's saying "Happy.....happy...happy....happy" I was saying "Open...open, etc". It really was funny but helpful.

During transition I was reciting Psalms! "You are my portion and my cup" over and over and over and over....it helped me.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM

this isn't exactly what you are looking for but - i found it really helpful when my doula would tell me that i was at the peak of a contraction. it was nice to know that the worst of that wave was over and i had made it through. i don't know if she was even right...but her words gave me hope and made the pain manageable.
#8 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#9 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 PM

i went looking for some affirmations a few weeks ago i think this one just might be my fave:

"There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it." Sheryl Feldman

my other fave is: MY BODY ROCKS!!! simple, yet effective

Crunchy Catholic Cancer Survivor
Married SAHM to DS (6) DD (4) DS (2) and DS born Nov 17, 2010
#10 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 PM

There is a Sumerian saying that has always resonated with me that I sometimes chant to deal with pain, and I think it is appropriate for use during birthing.

Ni-gen-na-da a-ba in-da-di nam-te i-u-tu.

It translates to "Whoever walks with truth generates life."

Pain is a physical truth, and in walking with it peacefully, I will generate life. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#11 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM

I say a Hail Mary during the contraction...usually the contraction ends by the end of the prayer, but sometimes there's time to say another one.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#12 of 22 Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 PM

This was the affirmation I sent with the Birth Beads, but I'm not sure if you were part of that:

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.
~ the I Ching

I like the idea of embracing the pain and what is trying to do in your body instead of resisting it and the process that is going on.

Happy birthing!!!

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#13 of 22 Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Well, you could always try what my DH said to me during my last homebirth:

"You're large and in charge!"

He was kidding, or I would have killed him.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#14 of 22 Old 10-16-2010, 10:50 AM

"Open, open, open" (I'm fairly literal )

And it really helped to have people tell me I was almost there and doing great when I was in transition. I definitely got to the "I can't do this" part, but it went by fast and pushing was much easier to deal with.

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#15 of 22 Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Well, you could always try what my DH said to me during my last homebirth:

"You're large and in charge!"

He was kidding, or I would have killed him.
Sounds like something my DH would say...he told me that while having my DD he was dying to work in ' Let's make like a baby and head out'. Thank goodness he didn't!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#16 of 22 Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 AM

DDCC - Generally its not just one big contraction. It may be hard to think of it as a whole but mother nature breaks it up into manageable sections for us.

Anybody can do anything for just one minute.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#17 of 22 Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Some good ideas here!

Since I love the ocean, and I find going to beach so peaceful, I'm going to try visualizing the ocean blue with each contraction. Because, you know, I'm riding the "waves".
#18 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM

I've jotted a few of these down, too! My favourite affirmation that I have been repeating during meditation is "I surrender to the feminine power of my body" I think I will alter it a little bit and go with "I surrender to the feminine power of birth"

I'm very visual, so I do a lot of visual breathing - usually I visualize a ribbon of love connecting my heart with the baby's heart... I don't know what I am going to visualize during birth... My cervix opening, perhaps?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#19 of 22 Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM

while in labor with my dd, i liked to visualise a flower opening, petal by petal, slowly but surely.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#20 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM

I had a mantra that I started saying/praying when I was pregnant with my first, and it carried through to my birth experience, like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It was something like, "My labor will be quick and painless, and my baby will be healthy." It was inspired by Read's Childbirth WIthout Pain, and I truly bought his whole philosophy, hook, line and sinker. It turns out that my labor was amazingly fast (almost too much), painful, but not so much that I couldn't handle it or relax through ctx, and my daughter (who they thought was IUGR) was as healthy as healthy could be!

Come to think of it, I should come up with one for this birth while I still have time!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#21 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM

a few i don't think have been mentioned here yet...

"relax your jaw, drop your shoulders" (my doula mother was the jaw/shoulder police for all my labors and it really helps!)

"loose mouth = loose bottom" (ina may)

"let your monkey do it" (also ina may, referring to following your primal instincts during labor/birth with regards to positions, breathing patterns, and pushing)

"i am calm, i am strong, i am relaxed, i am limp" (to be chanted or said to me during difficult contractions to help maintain focus)

"surrender to mother nature; she knows what she is doing" (to be said to me during transition when i tend to tense up and lose control)

i also love the "open, open, open" mantra, the idea of "riding the wave" of a contraction, and the suggestion that contractions don't cause pain, but "an interesting sensation that requires all of your attention" (- ina may)

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#22 of 22 Old 10-22-2010, 02:39 PM

This time around, early on, I found it really helpful to talk to and think about my baby and not myself. During contractions, I focused on really simple half-thoughts like, 'I can do this for you, baby,' 'I'll take care of you,' 'baby, it's ok.' That way, I felt a strong sense of purpose and really connected to the goal of natural birth for my baby's sake. As 1st stage progressed, I started making a long, low humming sound through contractions and focusing on feeling the sound resonate in my forehead. I kind of made this up on the spot, and it really put my mind and body on the same plane, like I was lending my will to compliment the involuntary nature of the contractions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page