*~*Weekley Chat Thread- October 15-22*~* - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Wow, not so chatty - at least not in THIS thread.

I shouldn't even be online. We're going for a "sewing playdate" with some fellow HS friends of ours. I posted over a yr ago on our local HSers list for someone to help us learn how to sew on our machine & we met this awesome HS family with 6 kids from like ages 19 to 1yr. I really expected the Duggars but they're soooo not the Duggars. Anyway, we had quite a few "dates" with them last year and then my Dad died, and then I had morning sickness, and it's just been a really long time! So I emailed them and we're heading over today - soon....I need to get offline.

My sister & I took the kids to a (huge!) playgroup at our midwife's yesterday and she felt my abdomen and said it's *definitely* a head way down low. I can't wait until Tuesday for my GBS swab so I can beg her to check my cervix. I'm really curious now what it is I'm feeling. I'm definitely dilated, I'm just afraid to be more enthusiastic about checking - hoping she'll show me how and explain things a bit. I know it means nothing, but it's still fin to know that things are moving along!

Sorry I'm not responding to anyone in this one, I just wanted to pop in and blab for a minute!

BBL!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
~~~~~~~~~~TMI Alert~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lost my mucus plug this morning! I had thought that I'd been losing little bits for a while now, but, um, WOW - I know for sure that's what it was this morning. Not bloody or pink-tinged or anything like that, so certainly I could be like this for a while. But it was one of those moments, where I almost exclaimed "What is THAT!" even though I've been watching for it. Nice to know that things are moving along!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM

ooh Meta-- Can I bug you for tips on teaching kids to sew? My dd (7) *really* wants a sewing machine for Christmas. I can knit but have never sewn more than a button. I asked my grandmother and she advised me to buy a good basic machine. Any book recommendations for kids?

Nothing new to report here. My stupid Pupps rash was really under control until I came down with a cold. Now it's flared back up and making it hard to sleep or get comfy or take a nice hot shower... grrrr. I know I'd feel better if I just got moving on all the nesting and chores-- it would be a good distraction. Just need to force myself to get going today.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Awesome, Ellen!!!

Meta- sounds fun!

My toddler is in a foul mood and I don't want to wake up yet, so this will be a long day. I cooked Thanksgiving last night much to my cankles' displeasure and had to stop myself from eating stuffing and sweet potatoes for breakfast. Today my goal is to scrub the kitchen and bathrooms down and get some school stuff done. I would really like to finish this knit hat and start some longies, too...

Baby's head is lower than it was. It is now able to be felt below the rim of my pelvic bone in front. Just slightly but enough that I about had a heart attack when I felt it. The head is still ballotable, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM

This chat thread has totally gotten away from me as well.

Ashley, have a great time at your graduation! I know that feeling of putting your books and notes away! I can't even imagine how you finished with a baby on the way!

I worked last night so I didn't get to bed until 1 AM, and then was up at 6:30 with dd since dh had to work. I'm surprised I don't feel worse than I do. I made bran muffins this morning to fulfill my carb craving and need for fiber at the same time. I plan on lying down in a few hours when ds takes his nap. I'm working 8 hrs on Sunday and then 8 hrs next Wednesday, and then I'm done!

It's weird, but I can't even tell *what* I'm feeling anymore. I just have pressure everywhere, on my cervix, into my pubic bone, on my rectum, etc. Then baby stretches and moves and I start contracting, and I just don't even know what's what! Last night I was sleeping so deeply, but swear that I must've had a million ctx. I woke up with my shirt up and both hands rubbing my belly!

My whole ribcage is so sore now from coughing, but I can tell that my cough is going away. I was taking guaifenesin to keep it loose, as I didn't want to end up with bronchitis or pneumonia.

I'm so happy because my GBS results were negative! One less thing to worry about... but I'm not worrying about anything, because I joined the Zen Mother's Club.

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to reply to more things yesterday but never could get to it.

I'm up and trying to stay conscious while we make a paint color decision for the bathroom. I went and bought 7 *quarts* of sample paint yesterday (why does Sherwin-Williams only sell samples in quart sizes?! Home Depot sells 8oz samples!). DH just got home with two more. The tile guy just finished the grout and it looks fantastic. If we can just get this paint decision made, we can keep moving and hopefully be done soon!

Meanwhile, I'm starving, exhausted, headache-y, and swollen. I was up on and off all night with heartburn. Last night, DH mentioned ice cream... I thought that was a GREAT idea to combat the heartburn. We won't mention the refined sugar, ya know, but my favorite stuff is all natural so it can't be THAT bad, right? Of course, DH never went to get any. And I didn't feel like going, by myself, to waddle around the grocery store after midnight after he went to bed. So I was popping papaya enzyme ALL night. Ugh. Think I can get him to get me some ice cream for breakfast?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Heather-the Sherwin Williams here sells the little jars of sample paints but I think it is limited to the ones they have mixed up. If you want another color you have to go with the quart.

Julie-Yay for being done working so soon. I have one 12 hour shift on the 30th and then I am finished.

I had a midwife appointment on Tuesday. Still just hanging out, I gained 4 lbs from the last visit eek. I was fine with the pound a week rate. Baby is still head down and hanging out on my right side, as he has been. I still have two midwives at the practice I haven't met and my husband hasn't met any of them.I think there are 6 total at the practice and one just came back from maternity leave. He is going to the next appointment which is on our anniversary!

I need to get my house together, it seems to have fallen apart in the last week. I have a deadline, Sunday we are having a small party/gathering for my husband's birthday which was yesterday. I think I may take nap now instead of cleaning or anything. I ran errands this morning while my son was at pre-k and had a nice breakfast at Panera by myself, it really hit the spot, exactly what I wanted. I also stopped at Micheal's and got some beads and supplies to make my birth bead necklace.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Heather - It sounds like the reno is going well! Are you going to share pics when it is all done?

for everyone who is done/almost done working.

I've been doing a lot of walking just because I have missed it SO much. It hurts, but it's a good hurt after being stuck on partial bedrest so long, even though I think my son is pretty frustrated that I am so slow, lol.

My emotions are all over the place these days. I go from incredibly cranky to calm and peaceful very quickly. I'm not so easily frustrated but blow up about dumb stuff. I know this is par for the course in the last weeks of pregnancy, but I'm glad that this time I am calm more often than not. I'm finding it easier to be at peace with things.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 PM

(((mzminty))) ak. dont get any more sick! not that anyone wants to, but i had thought i was getting better before i got much worse so take it easy. rest. seriously. i could have never imagined how sick i was going to get. if i could go back in time i would have gone to the dr much sooner and not tried to be super mom still doing everything i normally do.. in fact i have realized that i probably just cant do *that* much with 4 kiddos.. especially with a newborn in fall/winter. i kind of like having babies at this time of year because its really such a nesty time anyways.

things with my dp seem to have smoothed out a bit. but he works for the next two days which kind of sucks for me..

im feeling very sore in my right ribs again. not sure if baby has changed position or what, but im back taking some tylenol, no codeine though..
my cough is STILL not gone and im still coughing stuff up, which has lately been triggering me to throw up (i hate throwing up)..not quite as bad as it had been but i keep thinking i will wake up and it will be gone.
the dr suspects viral pneumonia, maybe on top of bacterial which was treated and says it just has to run its course... and maybe i have reactive airway by now with all of the weeks/months of coughing..

im trying to feel productive by washing baby things.. all the receiving blankets and NB clothes are either in the wash or waiting to be dried. im going to work on putting it all away where i want it (in my bedroom or organized onto the changing table in the living room. there is a fire on in the wood stove and its pretty cozy.

and i want to wash all of the NB woolens some time today as well, since they take longer to dry.

i washed all of my sickie bedding yesterday and almost killed myself trying to get the duvet cover back on my king sized feather quilt. geez. i have so little energy... but my clean bed sure feels good i wish i had slept better. i had bad dreams about my 4 YO being taken by guards in a castle. i think i have watched too much Robin Hood (BBC series, which is SO good, but kind of dark) and my body was sore and i couldnt find a good way to sleep.

im also cooking down all of my tomatoes that we harvested green, which have now gotten nice and ripe indoors..making some pizza/pasta sauce to freeze. i was thinking of canning it but its just way too much for me at his point.
i realize i just cant jump back into doing everything again or i know ill get sicker rather than better.

my mom comes tomorrow for a week i have to say i was hesitant..she and i dont always get on that well but she rented a cabin so she isn't going to be staying in my house which suits me and she can take the kids for sleepovers there and its downtown close to the park and main street.. she has a little guy too, who is 3.5 (adopted) so the kids have a fun time together and hopefully i can rest and do small tasks in my home without too much going on. i sure feel more productive when the kids are out & about.

my kids are in the kitchen making their own toast. i wonder how huge a mess i will find when i go back in there
better go.
sorry for the long self-involved ramble

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

I just found out a good friend of mine might have MS. I am absolutely sick for her (her kids are really good friends with mine) and feeling a little helpless. This has been a terrible pregnancy for stress for me - what with friends' miscarriages, premature births, family deaths and now this. I don't mean to make this about me, but I hate that helpless feeling. If you could keep her in your thoughts and prayers, I would really appreciate it. Her name is Jennifer.

I've been having back spasms today - might be a result of the stress.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Meanwhile, I'm starving, exhausted, headache-y, and swollen. I was up on and off all night with heartburn. Last night, DH mentioned ice cream... I thought that was a GREAT idea to combat the heartburn.
Aww, I feel we are riding the same train! These headaches have got to stop! I feel like my brain is as swollen as my ankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
Julie-Yay for being done working so soon. I have one 12 hour shift on the 30th and then I am finished.
I need to get my house together, it seems to have fallen apart in the last week.
Congrats Misa & Julie on almost being done work! I finished a little while ago and I'm loving it!
...except that my house has fallen apart, too! Ack! I need to stop starting projects and start finishing some! (Happy Belated to your hubby!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
things with my dp seem to have smoothed out a bit.

im feeling very sore in my right ribs again. not sure if baby has changed position or what, but im back taking some tylenol, no codeine though..
my cough is STILL not gone and im still coughing stuff up, which has lately been triggering me to throw up (i hate throwing up)

im also cooking down all of my tomatoes that we harvested green, which have now gotten nice and ripe indoors..making some pizza/pasta sauce to freeze.
Yay!

and then Boo!

and then Yum!

AFM: I was on my way to the grocery store this morning and had to pull over to be violently ill. Ahh, morning sickness. I hate you so much.

In the end I was happy to have gone shopping though: Eggnog is out! Yay! I'm a wuss, I usually buy the low-fat and mix it with milk but I still loooove it.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
~~~~~~~~~~TMI Alert~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lost my mucus plug this morning! I had thought that I'd been losing little bits for a while now, but, um, WOW - I know for sure that's what it was this morning. Not bloody or pink-tinged or anything like that, so certainly I could be like this for a while. But it was one of those moments, where I almost exclaimed "What is THAT!" even though I've been watching for it. Nice to know that things are moving along!
Having never lost a whole mucous plug at once, I've always wondered what it looks like (& there's NO way I'm Googling images...) Like...the size of a half dollar? Or a walnut? I don't even know what sort of shape it would be. I wish I'd just loose mine but I think I'm far enough dilated that it just continually comes out in "strings" and keeps regenerating. I can't believe this is my fourth & I've *never* seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
ooh Meta-- Can I bug you for tips on teaching kids to sew? My dd (7) *really* wants a sewing machine for Christmas. I can knit but have never sewn more than a button. I asked my grandmother and she advised me to buy a good basic machine. Any book recommendations for kids?
All I can say is don't buy a Singer - buy a Brother instead. Our Singer gets jammed up *constantly* and our sewing-friend-teacher says she hears that *a lot* - but Brother is supposed to be really good and very affordable.

Do you ever read SouleMama's blog? LOVE it. She has some old machines - I know hers is a SUPER expensive newer machine but she writes books and stuff so it's justifiable but I think she bought some for her kids that were older & second-hand. You could search her blog...and maybe get sucked in for a few hours (it's a gorgeous blog & very addictive.)

We borrowed a bunch of books from the library - Bend the Rules Sewing is cool, but I kind of feel like we should learn the "proper" way and then decide what rules are bendable, kwim? It's just good knowledge to have. Dd1 sewed with her friend's Nana and she sews the old-skool way, very formal, no rule bending and the project turned out REALLY well.

Bobbi, that's really sad about your friend.

Fern, are you SURE you don't have whooping cough?? At this point I'm willing to bet lots of money on it. Ds's whooping cough turned into pneumonia, but even the ER docs missed the pertussis diagnosis. It took us *months* to get over it and we *still* have a lingering cough from the last week of July when it started.

AFM, my crotch hurts. As of this morning, it pops with every step I take. And it feels like my pubic bone is cracking in half. And there's a brick in my butt that I neeeeeeed to push out. I swear, when I pee (which is every 5 minutes now that his head is so low) I have *SUCH* pressure that I think the head is coming out. I just cannot imagine feeling like this for 5 MORE WEEKS. I can't be pregnant that much longer.

Tomorrow I'm not leaving the house. I might just lay on the couch all.day.long. I think I did too much this week - or maybe I didn't but I need to reevaluate how much is "too much" these days.

Last night when my sister & I came home from shopping, I plopped down on the couch, put my feet up and had a glass of Cabernet. It was soooo nice. Now I have an opened bottle, so I might as well get dinner in the oven and repeat last night's routine.

Is there anything to do for this pelvic/cervical/rectal pressure besides hand stands?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Misa, do you work in healthcare?

Fern, thanks for your concern. I'm still in my pj's at 6 in the evening and I took a 2 1/2 hr nap today, so I'm definitely just trying to listen to my body and take it easy. I'm sorry you're still not feeling 100%, but I did feel on a very deep level how satisfying it must have been for you to wash your "sickie bedding"! It's reminds me of how I feel when I think about how nice it's going to be to gather up all of my maternity clothes and get rid of them!

Farren and Fern, s for the vomiting. My ds now randomly pretends he's throwing up when he's playing. He leans over and starts gagging until his face turns red.

Bobbi, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like this has been a really rough pregnancy for you, emotionally.

Meta, and all the mamas in the Broken Crotch Club,

Dh is at work today/tonight. I made oxtail soup, sweet potatoes and crusty bread for dinner, but didn't taste as good as I imagined it would (of course). Now I think ds and I are going to go take a bath together, and then I told dd that I'd watch a movie with her later (hopefully ds will go to bed early). I splurged at the grocery store the other day and bought a couple of pints of Graeter's ice cream, so I'm going to enjoy some of that, too.

And can you believe Ocelotmom had her baby?!!! Oh to just wake up in the middle of the night and pop this one out!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Having never lost a whole mucous plug at once, I've always wondered what it looks like (& there's NO way I'm Googling images...) Like...the size of a half dollar? Or a walnut? I don't even know what sort of shape it would be. I wish I'd just loose mine but I think I'm far enough dilated that it just continually comes out in "strings" and keeps regenerating. I can't believe this is my fourth & I've *never* seen one.
Bigger than a quarter, very snotty. After I posted I had 2 or 3 smaller globs.

Thank you for caring!

Dh came home from work (I'd told him "the big news" earlier in the day) and he immediately began cleaning house. He swears he's not nesting - he's just paranoid that somebody is going to come over to watch the kids and see how sloppy we really live. Frankly, I don't care either way - I got a clean house out of the deal.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Julie, I just bought Graeter's, too! And since I was the one to go (not my DH who started the craving but wouldn't go ) I only got what looked good to ME! Hope you enjoy your splurge!

More later when I'm not in the middle of things (other than my ice cream).

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Ellen, woohoo! for losing your mucous plug,,sounds like such a weird thing to celebrate, unless of course you are us

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Julie, I just bought Graeter's, too! And since I was the one to go (not my DH who started the craving but wouldn't go ) I only got what looked good to ME! Hope you enjoy your splurge!

More later when I'm not in the middle of things (other than my ice cream).
What kinds did you get? I got black rasberry chip and coconut chip. I also love mocha chip, but didn't want to be eating caffeine in the evenings. I used to love their amaretto crunch flavor, and was SO sad when the discontinued it! I didn't realize they sold it so far away from their headquarters!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
All I can say is don't buy a Singer - buy a Brother instead. Our Singer gets jammed up *constantly* and our sewing-friend-teacher says she hears that *a lot* - but Brother is supposed to be really good and very affordable.
I pulled out my cheap Simplicity machine about a week ago- I have all these things I want to sew. It was clogging like crazy and then the thread would break. I couldn't even do a zig-zag stitch.

I borrowed my mom's 35 year old Viking and it is amazing. It was like sewing through butter. I looked at the machines when I was at Jo-Anns the other day and they have a $300 Viking. I thought that price wasn't too bad, I think my simplicity was about $150 and it's useless.

As far as the pregnancy goes, I am suddenly feeling like I am going to 42 weeks again. I am at 37 right now and nothing is happening. Baby is also still really active. I'm actually done working. I had enough vacation days to get to when they will allow me to go on disability. I'm afraid it's just going to make me really anxious.

Yeah for the babies and all the other activity!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:

I DID Google mucus plug and some pictures came up...I highly recommend against that it wasn't pretty. I've been loosing mine in strings for weeks now, and having seen the pictures, I think I prefer it that way!

Also, as far as sewing machines go, don't buy a White either, mine is pretty useless. It was inexpensive but it's only good for sewing thin cotton and not much else, and the one I have has the tinniest stitch length ever...you have small, smaller, or teeny tiny. I can't gather anything! And it's forever jamming up and the least bit of heavy material breaks needles. I'm currently borrowing my mom's Phaff, and although it's not the most heavy duty machine in the world, it feels like driving a Ferrari vs a clunker. At least now I'm making some headway on diaper sewing...with my machine they looked awful.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Trying to catch up...

Ellen, ! I hope this means things are moving soon for you!

butterflies, I'm so sorry the rash is flaring. I hope you can get some real relief soon!

Misa, that's interesting that they sell the smaller ones there. I bet they do here, but clearly not in the colors we're looking at!

BirdMum, it is going well! We're mostly just waiting on the tub and fixtures to come in. I am thinking it won't be a full 3 weeks like they estimated. I'm sure it must be great to be able to get up and walk without worrying now! Though I'm totally with you on the slow and hurting!

Fern, I can't believe how productive you're being even with recovering from being sick! I've done, um, one load of receiving blankets so far. I'm glad you'll have more help soon! Keep getting better!

Farren, so sorry m/s is still getting to you! I'm with you on the house falling apart, though... Ugh. Thankfully DH has been taking care of the kitchen and it's about caught up! But 3 kids = instant destruction everywhere else.

Meta, OUCH on the popping with every step! I hope you don't have to bear that sort of misery for long! Will you see your chiro again soon? Wonder if he can do anything to help?

Julie, mmm.... Black raspberry and mint chip are favorites around here. Really, are there any that aren't? I didn't actually see a lot of standards today but picked up vanilla, pumpkin (SO good!), and cookie dough. Yeah, totally splurging. I'm really thrilled that they have it at Kroger here. Picked up Skyline and Graeter's... I rarely shop at Kroger but when I do, it's imperative to pick up Cincy delicacies!

chambom, I'm 36 weeks today and also wondering how on earth things are going to happen anytime soon. All the ctxs I'd had on an off are more off than on. It just seems like it can't be THAT soon yet. But, labor can and does start without much warning. Hopefully it won't be 42 weeks!!

AFM, I'm so glad I got that awful massage work on Wednesday. It was so worth it at least for the left side. The right side is still bad enough that I hobble and look ridiculous trying to walk. An hour massage next Wednesday to try to get it all straightened out...

So we settled on a paint color, then I realized that we hadn't actually looked at the lighter shades of one we really liked but was too dark. So DH said to call the contractor and see if he'd bought the paint yet (he hadn't). DH is gone until sometime tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon, so when he gets home, we'll try it out and make a final decision. I really was looking forward to an aqua color and we were settling on a leaf green kind of color. It's a nice one but just not what I'd envisioned so I'm hoping this other one will be perfect! Paint, installing fixtures, running more electrical voltage to accommodate the 240v tub... And then we're done, I think!

36 weeks today. My last 2 were born at 39 weeks. That's THREE WEEKS away! The last three weeks have flown by and I'm wondering what will happen in these next 3! Or 4, or 5, or 6... But hopefully not that many.

It is so exciting to have new babies ready and coming at any time! I still can't believe ocelotmom's baby came!! Wonder just how many we'll have before it's even November?!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 AM

I love that you all are excited for me about my mucus plug!

So last night, nothing baby related happened and I must say that a group of girls varsity soccer players are very lucky about that. Since they TPed (toilet papered) the yard after dh announced his retirement as coach. They shaving creamed the driveway (with nice things at least), spray-painted the yard, put plastic forks in the yard, stole a bunch of Republican () political signs, and left some sort of ottoman in the yard too. This only happens once a year and we have a good sense of humor about it. We also don't actually have any trees in our yard, so they can't get stuff where we can't reach it (usually).

However, I really wish that they hadn't put shaving cream on the driveway since it tends to leave a permanent residue that discolors the blacktop. And we want to put the house on the market this spring. Better than the year that they decided they would camp in our front lawn though. We woke in the middle of the night to much giggling that year and then it dawned on dh that it was actually Sunday morning and since they were still in season, they could all get in big trouble. Indiana has very stringent rules about no contact on Sundays.

Dh and the little kids are out cleaning it up right now. The girls never get to drive by and admire their work as we are very early risers. At least I don't have to go out there and bend over to pick it all up.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post
What kinds did you get? I got black rasberry chip and coconut chip. I also love mocha chip, but didn't want to be eating caffeine in the evenings. I used to love their amaretto crunch flavor, and was SO sad when the discontinued it! I didn't realize they sold it so far away from their headquarters!
Must have this NOW! The amaretto crunch sounds *amazing*! I LOVE ice cream with crunchy things...and amaretto?? *faint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambom View Post
I pulled out my cheap Simplicity machine about a week ago- I have all these things I want to sew. It was clogging like crazy and then the thread would break. I couldn't even do a zig-zag stitch.

I borrowed my mom's 35 year old Viking and it is amazing. It was like sewing through butter. I looked at the machines when I was at Jo-Anns the other day and they have a $300 Viking. I thought that price wasn't too bad, I think my simplicity was about $150 and it's useless.
Have you ever checked Craig's List? I've thought of looking there, but Dd1 doesn't want to trade up since my parents bought them this one last Christmas & then my dad died shortly there after. Maybe I'll just keep my eye out for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
Also, as far as sewing machines go, don't buy a White either, mine is pretty useless. It was inexpensive but it's only good for sewing thin cotton and not much else, and the one I have has the tinniest stitch length ever...you have small, smaller, or teeny tiny. I can't gather anything! And it's forever jamming up and the least bit of heavy material breaks needles. I'm currently borrowing my mom's Phaff, and although it's not the most heavy duty machine in the world, it feels like driving a Ferrari vs a clunker. At least now I'm making some headway on diaper sewing...with my machine they looked awful.
Yea, I went through at least 3 needles when I tried sewing denim on our Singer.

Quote:
Meta, OUCH on the popping with every step! I hope you don't have to bear that sort of misery for long! Will you see your chiro again soon? Wonder if he can do anything to help?
I'll definitely mention it on Wednesday. I'll be seeing him weekly until baby comes (& then after for a bit - baby too.)

This morning when I woke up I sneezed in bed and my crotch popped.

I'm not leaving the house today. The girls are going to the barn so it'll just be me and Ds. I'll have to keep him entertained, but hopefully I can get some low-key things done around the house.
I still have like 3 grocery bags full of beets to ferment that I just keep putting off....

I talked to DP last night and he said that all of the kids in his town have been off from school this week to help harvest beans - so cool. 10 more days! I can't WAIT.

Ds kicked me in the back of the head last night while he was asleep. Why can't he do stuff like that the night before I see my chiro? Now I have to walk around all screwed up for a few days.

I can't believe we have TEN babies already & it's not even November!! Wonder who will be next???

Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Wait, isn't it still Saturday?

Julie-yes, I am a nurse on a telemetry floor. You commented on my facebook nursing philosophy post, I was writing a paper for school.

I am not much of a sewer but I have a cheap Brother machine- I think it was about $100 and no complaints. It hasn't seen much use but has been great for the sewing I have done.

I don't know what this Graeter's is. Fancy ice cream? I like Ciao Bella-they make sorbet and gelato, like key lime graham, mmm.

I made rice pudding yesterday and had two bowls for breakfast.

Farren- thanks for the birthday wishes for my husband! I am debating going over a friend's today or staying home and catching up on laundry and cleaning. We are having people over tomorrow night so I could do the house stuff tomorrow but I am worried I'll be tired if I am out all day today. Everything looks better today but not ready for company.

Fern- I hope your mom's visit goes well, you've been having a rough time so it would be nice if her visit is helpful for you. I can just imagine the duvet cover struggle, I always have trouble and that is just with a queen.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=MisaGoat;15975670]Wait, isn't it still Saturday?
QUOTE]

Yep - sorry, I was talking about another time the "decorating" happened at my house!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Oh, I just read it again and see that it was another time. oops.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
Julie-yes, I am a nurse on a telemetry floor. You commented on my facebook nursing philosophy post, I was writing a paper for school.
What are you going back to school for? I used to work on a private med-surg floor and also a colorectal floor that both had telemetry. I like postpartum much better!

Graeter's is an ice cream place from Cincinnati, OH. There are none by me, but I can get it at the grocery store. They make their own chocolate, too, and their chip flavors of ice cream have these big, delicious pieces of chocolate in them! I lived in Cincinnati for a while, and was at Graeter's any chance I got!

Ellen, you're such a good sport about having your house sabotaged by teenagers!

All of this sewing machine talk is getting me down. I've been wanting one for a long time (my mom had a really nice Pfaff) but didn't want to spend a ton of money on one. There was one on sale at Target this week for $70 and I almost thought of getting it. I don't even know what brand it was, but figured it would do just fine... I guess the moral of the story is, not so much, huh?

Meta, sound like you need a chiro appt AND a full-body massage! (Don't we all!)

Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM

Bobbi for your friend

Sewing Machines- I HATE my brother. I would not suggest one, honestly. At least not one of the less expensive models. It has been nothing but a huge PITA. I will also recommend the book Bend the Rules Sewing. I really want a Janome machine.

You guys have Graeters near you? I admit to being born and raised in Cincy and had Graeters for the first time ever (black raspberry chip, actually) when I went back there about a month ago. And that was from a freezer. I have apparently been deprived. Of course I've eaten more than 8 elephants worth of Skyline, though. My mom always brings me some and I eat more than enough to destroy my health everytime I go back home. And now I'm dying for skyline. I wish we even had a Krogers here! I'm homesick and I haven't even lived there since I was a kid (though we go back often).

Last night I had a ton of regular (every 5 minute) strong early labor like contractions, tons of lower down wiggling, and horrible cramps. So bad that I actually screamed a couple of times. I felt inside and it seems my cervix is twice as effaced as I had felt a few days before and quite large. I could almost reach to check dilation but getting my arms around this belly stopped me just within the inner rim. *sigh* They stopped after dtd, of course.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I can also get Skyline seasoning packets at one of my local grocery stores. Just sent a bunch to my sister, who moved from Northern KY to Australia!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Really? I didn't know they had them. We either make it from scratch or my mom brings me cans from Cincy. In fact, I wonder if I might have one hidden away in the back of the cabinet...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Julie-I just started a RN-BSN program this fall. I did an associate degree program so now I have to finish. Telemetry is where I ended up when I graduated, I like it more than I thought and have gotten fairly comfortable there. I'll probably look for something else when I am finished school but for now I am only working per diem.

User Tag List