How can I stop sleeping on my back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Before being pregnant, I was a back sleeper 100% of the time. Switching to my sides as been a tough transition. I have finally gotten to where I can fall asleep easily on my sides, but literally every single time I wake up I'm on my back. Baby is in a good position right now according to my MW; vertex with back along my front right side - I want it to stay that way.

In addition to position concerns, back sleeping HURTS! I can definitely tell in the morning when I've spent a lot of time on my back because it will be SUPER sore.

I've tried putting a pillow behind my back as a barrier. I inevitably end up on my back anyway, but sort of propped up on the pillow so my shoulders are flat, but one hip is propped up. Pain wise it's better, but baby position wise I feel like it might even be worse because I'm twisted.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep me on my side?

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard of things like sewing tennis balls into a sock on a t-shirt (wear the t-shirt) to keep men from laying on their backs (for snoring).

I don't worry too much about sleeping on one's back in pregnancy if it's what your body is doing on its own, kwim? But, hurting is not good! What about taking additional pillows so you're bounded by them head-to-toe? Then if you roll over onto them at least you're not twisted?

I tend to sleep leaning forward - yes, towards/on the belly! Whether it's just enough to rest the belly on the bed or so much that I can flatten my shoulders out (they do NOT like being slept on all the time) in a "runner's position," I am much less likely to roll backwards because I'm already leaning forwards. Could you try adjusting your position like that? Maybe put pillows in front of you to prop up a top knee and lean into them?

Hope you find some relief!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done the pillow thing in past pregnancies (pillow half under my back so if I end up on my back, at least all my weight isn't there), and had babies that were positioned just fine. I haven't bothered with the pillow this pregnancy because I find that repositioning it in the middle of the night causes me to wake up more fully, and I have trouble getting back to sleep! But I hear you about the stiff and sore back in the morning - can't wait until that is over.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find myself waking up on my back too. I was a back sleeper almost 100% of the time, and it has definitely been a hard transition. I'm just not that comfy on my side, I don't like being squished. Sorry it's causing you pain though, my main concern is circulation. I hope others have some tips to keep you propped on your side. Not too much longer to go though!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!

User Tag List