Blood clot behind placenta :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week I had some bleeding and was sent for an ultrasound yesterday morning, and as it turns out I have a 4cm blood clot behind my placenta and need another ultrasound and non-stress test in 48 hrs.
I only briefly spoke to my doctor last night, she left a message for me to call her on her cell phone so instantly I knew something was wrong. I didn't ask any questions then I was at a bit of a loss for what to say and I don't see her until after my second ultrasound now.
Has anyone had this, or know anything about blood clots behind the placenta?
I'm so stressed out they'll require I have a c-section now
#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 PM

No advice or knowledge, but I'm sorry that you have this worry now. If you don't get a response here, maybe try the main pregnancy board for a wider audience?
#3 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 01:55 PM

i have an online friend who had a blood clot behind her placenta caused by when her toddler jumped on her belly (caused a huge visible bruise, too, ouch) she said the doctors told her that the jump caused a small placental abruption, and that since she wasn't having any actual bleeding, there wasn't much to be done about it, other that watch and make sure it doesn't get bigger. she is having at least weekly u/s i think and it has remained the same size, so they think everything is ok. she is still having a homebirth.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I also had a friend who had a clot behind the placenta, though much earlier along. In her case, it was probably because she was on blood thinners. Anyways, she went on to have a healthy baby! My understanding is that it's a potentially weak spot in the attachment, but if it just stays as it is currently and doesn't grow, it probably won't be a problem.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know if it's considered the same thing, but with my last pregnancy, I had a ton of blood at 12.5 weeks & a u/s showed a sub-chorionic hemorrhage (a blood clot where the placenta attaches to the uterine wall.) There wasn't anything to be done for it at the time, just wait & see - but that was at 12.5 weeks. I was told that my baby might be a bit smaller for it, but Ds was born at exactly 40 weeks & weighed a healthy 8lbs, 5oz & 22" - so no worries in that dept.

Hopefully yours won't cause any trouble either.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I had a subchorionic hematoma early on (11ish weeks) and was told that my clot was behind the placenta. I bled a ton at first then spotted off and on for a while and when I was checked again at 18 weeks, it had resolved. All along, my midwife didn't seem terribly concerned about it and it never affected my birth plans, but it was also a lot earlier in my pregnancy than yours is. My midwife did say that had it persisted, she would have done another ultrasound in my 3rd tri to see if it had gotten any bigger and then would monitor it after that.

That probably doens't help you at all. I recommend trying not to worry until you have your next ultrasound and you can talk to your doctor. My hunch is that you'll just have to be monitored a little more. Let us know how it goes!

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM

When I was in the hospital at the beginning of this month for bleeding they found a blood clot behind my placenta as well (over my cervix, and a vaginal ultrasound to check on the previa was likely what caused the bleeding and clotting). Baby and I are doing fine now, and we only have a c-section scheduled because of the previa, not the clot (which is no longer there and healed up).

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page