Belly Binders PP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice, what do you prefer. Belly bandit looks like its going to be uncomfortable and stiff, has anyone used a belly binder and what would you recommend?

Daughter (7.5) Son(5) and Husband of 9 Years!!  saynovax.gifhomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgh20homebirth.gif
***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*stork-boy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have not used them before, but I bought a medium ITA one and a small Gabriella one thT is waaaay too small. I hear good things about the ITA one, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 17 Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used the Belly Bandit with my last baby. Now I have a bit different set of circumstances, I use them because of having c/s's, and they are miraculous btw!
The belly bandit was a bit stiff and uncomfortable, but it served it purposed for a few weeks. I have just bought one specifically for c/s's but they have one thats great for natural births too . I can't say from wearing experience yet, but it is very soft and I am really excited to try it.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 17 Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DDCC - I bought a small Gabriella and it seems like its going to fit. Of course I'm assuming the bump goes to at least half its current size once he's out. It doesn't really look like I gained any fat in the middle though (its all in my butt and thighs... sigh).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#5 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had some sort of belly binder after my first birth (c/s) but am curious to know more about their benefits. Anyone have more info?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM

There are some ladies describing their experiences in the Sept DDC. I'm trying to decide between the ITA and the Gabriella-- though I can't seem to find the ITA Small on Amazon so that might make my decision easier. I usually lose a lot of the weight right away but I have quite a bit of abdominal separation, even from my 1st birth, that I hope to work on this time.
#7 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think I replied to a belly binder thread in September's DDC a while back....

I don't trust these. There's this whole thing about allowing our pelvic organs to rest over our pubic bones where they're supposed to be. We need that curve in our lower backs & we need to let our bellies stick out.
Has anyone ever checked out the WholeWoman website? There's a ton of info on there about correct posture - and about improper posture contributing to pelvic organ prolapse. One of the issues is wearing your pants around your waist & too tight. Waistbands should be low, low, low and not too tight because they can force your pelvic organs back away from your pubic bone support.

After birth is *such* an important time for our pelvic organs to heal properly and they're very much at risk of prolapsing. These just sounds counter intuitive to me...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Meta- on one of the past threads there is a good link to proper binding technique to keep the uterus back and prevent prolapse. I have a tilted uterus, so this is especially important for me to help prevent it tilting. Many cultures around the world have and do still use this with exceptionally low prolapse rates, so I figure if it's done correctly, it's safe.

#9 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
I used the Belly Bandit with my last baby. Now I have a bit different set of circumstances, I use them because of having c/s's, and they are miraculous btw!
The belly bandit was a bit stiff and uncomfortable, but it served it purposed for a few weeks. I have just bought one specifically for c/s's but they have one thats great for natural births too . I can't say from wearing experience yet, but it is very soft and I am really excited to try it.
Someone from another board I'm on got the AbdoMend (link posted above) and is LOVING it after having twins. She said the sizing is perfect and it's very comfy in comparison to the Belly Bandit she tried after her first child. HTH.

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#10 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
AndysQueen ~ Thanks for the review!!! I can't wait to try it!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#11 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 AM

I'm lookin at this one... it has decent reviews mostly (other than a few being sent the wrong size) I really can't afford a very expensive binder, but know I need something. Is there a way to be sure that it will hold my abdominal muscles together properly? I don't want to start off with something that isn't good... and will only serve to mess me up further.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#12 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 AM

der... would help if i posted the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Abdominal-Bind...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

#13 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Can you post an ISO on here for anyone done with theirs or who got the wrong size? I don't know anything about that one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

#14 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Can you post an ISO on here for anyone done with theirs or who got the wrong size? I don't know anything about that one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I guess I could do that... but I'm not sure I'll get one for much cheaper than the price of that one.

The reason that one looked like a good one to me is it goes all the way up. I need help on my upper belly after baby, that's where my separation is... my lower muscles close very quickly and the hernia I have is right above my belly button. Not sure I'll be able to reverse that but I'm willing to try.

#15 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM

I just found the same thing on Ebay for 9.99 with 3.85 shipping... not bad.

#16 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM

I used one after my first baby girl Kayla - the Bamboo Belly Bandit after my Doctor recommended it.  I recently had my second and used their BFF style and i can't tell you how amazing my experience was.  I went back for my first check up and my Dr. said my uterus was smaller than before i had any children!  Firm believer in this one.....

#17 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM

I used to work at a boutique/spa inside a perinatologist practice and we sold the Belly Bandit and the C-Panty. We could not keep these in stock! Women loved them. In the beginning I thought it was just clever marketing, but I've seen the results of both and I'm surprised at how well they work. Here's the scoop:  

The Belly Bandit is a wide, long, stiff wrap/binder. It's recommended that you buy your pre-pregnancy size because the whole idea is that it's going to train your waist/mid section to go back to your pre-pregnancy size. Everyone complains how uncomfortable it is at first, but after a couple days it's not too bad (the breastfeeding moms really like it for some reason and also those with back issues). It provides extra support and helps to improve your posture. Wear it ASAP after giving birth and as much as possible.

But...I've heard The Belly Bandit isn't the way to go if you've had a c-section (It's too wide). Instead, go with the C-Panty. It's a true panty (cut lower, won't irritate incision). It also has a silicone pad in it that supposedly helps with the healing process. It's recommended you start wearing it only after the incision has had time to close though. It's a little less obvious under clothes and more comfortable from what I've heard.

I've seen "knock offs" everywhere and I honestly don't see why another brand of post partum wrap/binder/support wouldn't work (because the concept is the same).  Just like anything else, people are going to have different experiences or get different results, but I'm going to give it a shot when my time comes (I"m due anyday now).           

User Tag List