The New Prodromal Labor Club - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
I don't think that I'm going to be convinced that I'm in labor this time until, oh, she's crowning.
This exactly!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#32 of 57 Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM

I guess I'm joining. After three false labor calls (my poor husband) I'm still preggo. Last night was terrible, and I was sure it was the real deal, but when I woke up this morning still pregnant, it took everything in my power to hold back the tears.

My poor children are walking around in circles because we haven't left the house all week. I'm afraid to drive anywhere because I feel like I am in labor ALL OF THE TIME. This is my 3rd and I have never had prodromal labor before. This sucks. How can I make it stop...or actually happen?????
#33 of 57 Old 11-06-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. I am feeling a bit crazy. Two full days of ctx activity (not particularly regular so not "labor" but still, something). No real cervical change (perhaps more effaced), no movement of cervix forward but we figured that when it does move forward and gets pressure from baby, we're on.

Talked to MW and emailed birth photographer. Then it all stopped. Got an adjustment and it started up in a more early-labor-like pattern (for me) - light ctxs but kept coming. Then, more intense and I thought, "gee, maybe we're headed in the right direction..." And they stopped.

The thing is I don't WANT baby to come today - not until much later, anyway! DS2 and DH are at the museum for their breakfast with a paleontologist and I'm about to jump in the shower before taking the other boys up to meet them for the free activities. After that, we're going to go to DH's studio to do some maternity pictures. First time EVER. And, yes, he had just as much photo and lighting equipment last time; he just never took the pics. Oh, and my mom (who's supposed to come stay with the kids) is unavailable ALL day and won't be home until 1am because the high school she teaches at is having homecoming today.

So, really, I don't WANT to be in labor right now. But it's still driving me crazy as though there's something I can do that I haven't and that's why I'm not. I really need to stop trying to guess when something is going to happen or interpret the signs and symptoms and just wait. I think with all of this happening this weekend it was really hard to do. I hope that now, with no signs of labor at a bad time, I can just go on and not feel like a ticking time bomb, kwim?

But I want my baby! I have pretty much everything set up and ready for the birth and I keep thinking about sitting in the glider holding my little baby... and I get very impatient!

I just keep telling myself it could be another week and that's okay. Really.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#34 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM

I definitely belong here! I've been having regular, nightly ctx for WEEKS- they usually last an hour or more. The past week or so, I've had several random, painful contractions out of nowhere. It never amounts to anything, though. Every time I wake up at night, my first thought is whether or not I'm in labor. (I never am!)

So today I've DTD, gulped down an ultra-strong cup of RLT, swallowed some EPO, and spent a solid hour stimulating the nips.

AND I've been having regular contractions lasting about 30sec each consistantly every 3 minutes for the past hour+.

Could this be it?!?!!!

I can't help but to be certain it's more dead-end nothingness...

(But I have a small sliver of hope. It *would* be a good day to have a baby.)
#35 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM

On Thursday afternoon MW checked me ... I'm 1cm dilated ...nothing more. By Thursday night, I started having mild contractions...lasted all day on Friday but by Friday evening they started becoming very regular (timed them at exactly 4 min a part). They felt like early labor to me. Even with me walking/sitting/bathing --- they lasted until about midnight before they slowed down. I had a few yesterday and today but not as regular. This is very frustrating and DH doesn't seem to get it.
#36 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Still hanging around too! I thought things were heating up at least five more times but nada! Oh well, I am actually feeling better since my due date is past, like this cannot possibly go on forever! I did grocery shopping and co-op order yesterday along with taking the kids to the zoo, and today I have cleaned everything that sits still! I even cleaned the broom's dust pan! I also am boiling and washing all my Norwex micro fiber and I took apart and washed all the windows and casings on the lower level. So apparently I am nesting like crazy! The interesting part is I would really like the baby to stay in another week now because my nephew has the mumps and my sister and my mother are supposed to be at the birth and I really do want them there, and my mom is supposed to help with my kiddos, but I am not comfortable having them here just in case they expose my kiddos. So I would be good with anytime next weekend when he is no longer contagious! I am a lot more zen about it then I was last week for sure! Wishing all you mommas good labor vibes and the best timing for everyone!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#37 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM

well...i'm out. i guess i was in early labor!

baby boy born on november 6th. i'll post to the november thread...but i was thinking about you all. hang in there. it will be over soon.
#38 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM

Been having contractions for two weeks now on and off. Not everyday though. It seems to alternate with the terrible leg cramps I am also getting. I had none of this with my first. However with her I was 4 cm and over 50% effaced for three weeks before she came. I get super excited with each bout of contactions I have. I hope this one comes early!!

DH is Ricky, dd born 10/06 and due 11/26/2010 !
#39 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Having definitely stronger ctxs tonight. Wondering if these will fade and we'll keep this up for the rest of the week. Glad to be feeling ones that might be making bigger changes, at least, after all day crampy style ctxs.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#40 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Having definitely stronger ctxs tonight. Wondering if these will fade and we'll keep this up for the rest of the week. Glad to be feeling ones that might be making bigger changes, at least, after all day crampy style ctxs.
Sounds promising!
#41 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
Sounds promising!
I wish I could believe it! No real building tonight. It reminds me of a fever - not too bad in the morning, building at night. Though they didn't wait until afternoon/evening to start today. It's very hard not to get *any* hope up, but I also really am feeling like this might go on for a while. Still have my eyes set on Friday/Saturday...

ETA - I mean, no building beyond what I posted earlier.

#42 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Here too.

I had so many ctx yesterday- regular and stronger than ever. I really thought that maybe we would be getting up in the middle of the night.

Instead I woke up to no ctx and baby was trying to break my rib.

I'm really thinking that baby is just still way too active for real labor to be too close.

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#43 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 PM

Well I notice the Zen mama club seems to have gotten real quiet so I'll just post in here.

I guess I spent so many months worrying because everyone told me I was at risk for preterm labor... now it seems positively ridiculous that I'm still pregnant! Even though I'm only 37 weeks. I've been having lots of contractions for the past couple weeks but nothing that feels convincing or at all regular. I was 2-3 cm last week and I'd love to think my body is doing some of the work now so I'll have a quick labor. But I'd just like to know when its going to happen! I had a lot of prodromal labor with #1 that got really uncomfortable at the end, back pain, stomach issues. Then none at all with #2, zero signs until I went into labor at 41.5 weeks.... funny how different it can be.

I really CANNOT go into labor on Saturday bc DH has to work and its kind of a special assignment that only he can do. (and it pays well-- so we really don't want him to back out) So I'm kind of hoping it happens before then....

I don't actually feel that terrible but my back aches if I walk more than a few blocks (like taking the kids to school) and I think my abs separated even more in the last couple days. When I mentioned this to dh he just grinned and pointed out that I'm hauling around almost 12 lbs of baby and what do I expect? I told him we might be able to speed things up by dtd but he kind of looked at me like I was nuts.
#44 of 57 Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 PM

I'm back. Went to the dr's office and we discussed the merits of doing the cervical check (okay, from the very beginning, I knew that I would cave because I CANNOT stand not knowing - and I wanted to compare her findings with mine). The good thing that came out of it was me tattling on the other dr () about how rough it had been last time and the contractions that came as a result. She promised that she would be super gentle and that she was !

So the statistics are 3cm, 70%, and 0 station. Not much of a change from last time.

Except now I'm getting the stupid contractions again. It CANNOT be from her exam. There's just no way. Betcha I end up timing again tonight, getting dh in a dither (you know, wondering whether or not to change his pants ), go to bed, and wake up still pregnant.
#45 of 57 Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so hoping this is it for you, Ellen!

I'm only slightly jealous that you have timeable ctxs. Mine get strong enough to think about starting to time and then they peter out. At least I am not getting *quite* so much hope up. But I still have no idea whether this all means we're looking at a handful of days or a week or two, yet... I think if I knew that, I'd be MUCH better able to just let it be.

As it is, I'm trying to convince myself that it is NOT worth checking for cervical change... more than once a day.

#46 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#47 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

The whole "not like previous pregnancies/labors" is enough to drive one nuts, isn't it?  This has been so totally different for me.  And, really, I *want* a different experience this time.  I just wish it were a little more predictable.  lol.gif

I'm somewhat encouraged by the 45s long, strong, whole-belly ctxs I had last night. All 3 of them. eyesroll.gif  At least it's bigger and stronger even if they haven't lasted, right?  MW says my body is ready and trying to get things started but that baby isn't quite ready so there's nothing to sustain labor.  Makes sense enough to me...  Now, what supplements should I be taking to make sure baby's ready?  lol.gif  winky.gif

Maybe baby just needed some pumpkin muffins... I think I may eat the whole box (save the ones I gave to the kids already) before lunch... Mmm...

#48 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Not last night but the night before I had hours of contractions (real ones, not bh) that were about 8-10 minutes apart and lasted about a minute but nothing came of it. I've been exhausted all week... my mom seems to think soon, my body is prepping. My eyes feel funky, like I'm not sleeping but I'm sleeping ALL night so I don't know what the heck is going on there.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#49 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm in this club now too--the last three days or so have been filled with many, many contractions--but they don't really feel like labor yet, or even very early labor, and every time I get excited about a strong one, they taper off.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#50 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've been out all afternoon and evening (it's now 11pm and I just got home) and have been having more and more strong ctxs the whole time.  I finally started timing them and have had them 6-10 minutes apart and 45s-1m long.  We left the friends' house we were at and I had 3 "leave me alone" strong ctxs in the car before we got home.  And now?  Nothing. greensad.gif  Piddly little crampiness but not the big, strong, you-might-have-a-baby-soon ctxs.  Blargh. greensad.gif

I called my MW because it seemed so likely to be "real" and then of course I'm totally bummed because, like I told myself earlier, it is all fizzling out - again.  This is a full week of daily prodromal labor.  Even talking to my MW wasn't encouraging.  greensad.gif  I'm supposed to stop timing them, go to bed, ignore it as much as possible, and of course I'll know when it's the real deal.  And I know we're getting closer by a lot...  But figuring out the logistics of when to call everyone is always so stressful to me!

DH is telling me to not worry about everyone else... and I'm trying not to.  Really.  But it's my nature to worry about everyone.  greensad.gif

Anyway... I have told myself all day that this would fizzle and happen again tomorrow and then Friday we'll have real labor and a baby sometime Saturday.  And maybe that IS what will happen, still.  That's not that far away.  It's just the constant unknowns of "what if it DOES happen sooner?!"  dizzy.gif

#51 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

I've been out all afternoon and evening (it's now 11pm and I just got home) and have been having more and more strong ctxs the whole time.  I finally started timing them and have had them 6-10 minutes apart and 45s-1m long.  We left the friends' house we were at and I had 3 "leave me alone" strong ctxs in the car before we got home.  And now?  Nothing. greensad.gif  Piddly little crampiness but not the big, strong, you-might-have-a-baby-soon ctxs.  Blargh. greensad.gif

I called my MW because it seemed so likely to be "real" and then of course I'm totally bummed because, like I told myself earlier, it is all fizzling out - again.  This is a full week of daily prodromal labor.  Even talking to my MW wasn't encouraging.  greensad.gif  I'm supposed to stop timing them, go to bed, ignore it as much as possible, and of course I'll know when it's the real deal.  And I know we're getting closer by a lot...  But figuring out the logistics of when to call everyone is always so stressful to me!

DH is telling me to not worry about everyone else... and I'm trying not to.  Really.  But it's my nature to worry about everyone.  greensad.gif

Anyway... I have told myself all day that this would fizzle and happen again tomorrow and then Friday we'll have real labor and a baby sometime Saturday.  And maybe that IS what will happen, still.  That's not that far away.  It's just the constant unknowns of "what if it DOES happen sooner?!"  dizzy.gif

So frustrating! It's hard not to get your hopes up every time. Hopefully all the work your body is doing now will lead to  a short and sweet labor!

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#52 of 57 Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if it's more or less frustrating that it's all started up again... headscratch.gif

I just got a few things done around the house (like gathering foods I bought for labor and labor support people, labeling cabinets/drawers in the kitchen, straightening the kids' bathroom, etc.) and had not one during that time.  Then I sat down and had a looooong one.  And another shorter one.  Yep, I guess it's somewhat obsessive to be talking about individual ctxs.  lol.gif  But they've been coming more or less since the kids fell asleep.  And these are totally the real deal... Just a matter of how long they stick around.  Trying to welcome each one and encourage everything to work together to get baby out... And it won't be TOO long, even if it is a couple more days.

#53 of 57 Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 AM

I keep having random stints of regular contractions, then they just stop. I'll go like an hour with them being 10 minutes apart, then won't have anything for the rest of the day. Of course, everyone is starting to call/email asking how everything is going. I know they mean well, but it's just stressing me out. I haven't had one single sign of early labor. No losing mucus, got checked on Tuesday, nothing. This is my third, and completely different than the other two. I went into labor on this day with DD, and I was at least 3 cm with DS at this time. I'm really starting to lose my sense of calm here. Arg.

Erica - Wife to Justin, mama to Anna (9.06), Ben (6.08) and Caden (11.10)

#54 of 57 Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't know what to make of what's going on. I feel like I'm having prodromal labor - but in my "super intense" style. Last Monday night & then again last night, I've had REALLY intense contractions every 2-3 minutes, lasting for 1 minute - for 3 hours straight! It's like it's labor, but it's not. I've never had this happen before in any of my pregnancies. I don't know what to think of it. I always have strong BHs for most of my pregnancies, and they get more intense as pregnancy progresses, but maybe 3-4 every hour and not nearly as intense as these have been.

I can feel my cervix dilating and I get a poop-like pressure along with cervical pinching, but no bloody show and nothing ever comes of it. My labors have *always* just started with a bang - very intense & short, and no mistaking that it's labor. This time I keep thinking, "Maybe I won't have a rapid & intense labor that starts in my sleep this time, maybe it will start out with regular, yet intense contractions that will go on for a long time rather than 1 intense hour.."

This is so exhausting.

And I keep throwing up in my mouth a little - reflux?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#55 of 57 Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM

It seems like nearly everyone who has posted in this thread has had their baby already. So here I am saying ME ME! I'm in the club! My turn!

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#56 of 57 Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM

i'm still here too Farren-10 days over and prodromol labor going on forever!  I want my baby out too!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#57 of 57 Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Big hugs, mamas!  The not knowing is SO hard!  (I was going to say it's the hardest part but I'm only 40 hours postpartum and remember the hardest part!!)  I was, once again, basically in early labor for days.  For me, active labor then lasted only a few hours but was VERY intense.  And even with all of that early/prodromal stuff, it turned out on Friday night (she was born Saturday night) that I was ONLY 3cms and 60% effaced!  Saturday night at 9:30 I was 5cm, 100% effaced, with a bulging bag of waters... and she was here 8 minutes after my water broke at 10:06.  

You just never know what will happen, but babies WILL come!!  I hope you can all find the mental strength to endure it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page