***Weekly Chat Thread October 30-NOVEMBER 5th*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Thread! The first one that will carry us over into NOVEMBER!!!! Our month. How many babies will arrive this week? We had 3 this past week!

What do you still need to do to get ready?

I have my last shift of work tonight then I am off until February! I have to submit my official paperwork and get it signed off on by my midwife. I feel like things are really, really getting close.

I walked to the farmer's market yesterday and it was too much on the way back. It is really like 4-5 blocks from our house and I had a friend with me that carried our big pumpkin home, if she hadn't been with us the pumpkin would have stayed at the market. My son walked there and back without asking to be carried but it was still a lot.

We had a nice dinner of butternut squash and white been soup with grilled cheese. Not fancy but delicious, after I ate I was so sleepy.

Now I am just waiting for my mom to come over and pick up my son, he is having a 'sleepover' at grandma's while I am at work tonight. (My husband will be home but I have to leave before he gets home and he has to leave in the morning before I get home so it is easier to just have the sleepover). I need to get dressed and make the house presentable.

I hope everyone rests up this week and gets rid of the colds etc so we can be ready for our new babies!

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#2 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Yay for your last shift, Misa! I've been in SUCH a good mood since being done!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#3 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM

I can't believe tomorrow is the LAST day of October! And my due date is just ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far we're having a fantastic weekend here... Had a date with DH last night (Liam is at the IL's) and then we came home and watched a movie.. I actually slept halfway decent (only woke up 3-4 times to pee) and my sore throat is gone! Still pretty congested, but I can deal with that. We're leaving in a few to go to the IL's and hang out for the afternoon, and going to their church's Fall Festival tonight, where there will be a BON FIRE! I am so excited...

Meta-- as to the hair situation-- You could do something sort of in between coloring it all and completely going gray... why don't you do some low lighting? Basically paint strands of hair (maybe you could get one of your daughters or a friend to help?) with the color, rather than doing it all over? Or if you can/want to get it done professionally of course that would be the easiest.. but you get the "best" of both worlds-- a little gray but not all of your hair, and the grow-out is much more natural looking than if you color it all.... or you can stick to coloring it, but just touch up around your hair line and your part mainly and let the rest go? If I lived closer I could show you how.. (was a hairstylist before the kiddos) but I'm sure there are youtube videos out there with "how to lowlight/highlight your own hair" type tutorials... just a thought!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 12:15 PM

missa YAY!! for your last shift!! yay!! its almost november!!! thanks for starting the new thread. lots to celebrate.
and your supper sounds very yummy. i love squash
im starting to enjoy food a bit again and really looking forward to how it tastes So good once baby is born and nursing every second of the day

I bought henna while in town on Thursday.. its the yucky mix it with lemon juice kind that looks like horse poop but it makes my hair nice & red, which i love and it feels so good after. im hoping to get that done before Halloween night. maybe tonight once the stove is back in and i can sit by the fire (usually i have the blow dryer on it but its irritating to say the least. Its something I have been needing to do for months, but never got around to it because we didn't have a shower to wash it off with and then life got insane and i got sick, ect.. so yeah. another thing to do before baby comes
meta, have your tried henna? i know woman who get super natural reddy browns from it. you can mix different herbs and spices to get the colours you want.. there is a great website called henna for hair with a million recipes!

im going to cook freezer food today, tidy up, wash woolens, strip my bed and flip the mattress because dd peed it again last night and start on knitting something for myself because i know once the babe comes its not going to happen. i will likely still be inspired to knit baby things but who knows for sure. anyways, this baby has everything he needs and more.
me on the other hand.. all of my clothes are falling apart. i hope i can fit some of my pre-pregnancy things fast (usually doesn't happen though)

oh, and then we are carving pumpkins and making treats for our home-made, candy free
trick-or-treating at my friends farm tomorrow night. should be fun. last year was great! busy days!

but im sure feeling a lot better these days. its amazing what a little bit of energy can do. i know im not anywhere near to my old self, but it is So much better than 2 weeks ago.

happy almost Halloween!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm 39 weeks today! I'm pretty much ready, baby wise. I'd love if my house was perfectly clean and organized, but I've pretty much given up on that, and I'm okay with it. We do need to dung out our garage this weekend so that DH can park his truck in there this winter. It requires a trip to the dump and he's the one that's been putting it off.

Halloween tommorow, can't wait to take DD trick or treating for the first time.

I started a new baby sweater so that I have a project to keep my mind occupied this week. I think I'm finally starting to get excited about this baby!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#6 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Misagoat

Catie-I'm super jealous of your date night! You all talking hair keep reminding me to get my own done.

Mzminty- I had my mom pick some up for me but thank you. I'm sorry about your mom. . I hope your tween stuff works out and the family meeting. It makes me happy we homeschool and my pre-teen doesn't have many friends her age (but sad, too).

Well, I just found out my mom won't be here for ds' surgery next Thursday and likely not for the birth. . I hate being so isolated without help. Dh can't really take that day off so I'll have to take all the kids at 6-7 am to the hospital somehow, not go into labor, and somehow help him with no help for me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 PM

I need to finish orders and wanted to tie dye some shirts before babe comes. I bought the last of the things I needed last night, hopefully I get them before I have the baby though if I didn't it would all be good. I don't really perceive myself as having baby early.... though I guess it could happen. I feel a little funny today and my grandma was suggesting that maybe baby would decide to come early.

I want to henna my hair... I'm done with conventional dyes, though I miss being a blonde sometimes.

Erin, my thoughts were to highlight/lowlight as well... then you could have a mix of the two if you wanted. Going blonde is a lot of upkeep, even darker blondes... at least it was for me.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#8 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Catie- a date night sounds lovely! Have fun at the bonfire tonight. I love fires and the smoky smell that stays on your clothes. That reminds me I need to order wood for the fireplace.

Fern-Glad you are feeling better and have some energy to get things done around the house. I've always wanted to dye my hair red but I never have, lately I've been having the urge to though. I haven't dyed my hair at all in over 10 years, last time I dyed it black in high school and it was way too dark so I've just left it alone.

Kitty-I wish we all lived closer to each other so we could help each other out. That sounds way too much to take all the kids to the hospital when you are this pregnant. Hopefully you can work something out by Thursday.

I am really excited to take my son trick or treating tomorrow. This is the first year he's been excited about it. Last year we went to a few doors and came home, he had more fun handing out candy to the kids that came to our door.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#9 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Misagoat

Catie-I'm super jealous of your date night! You all talking hair keep reminding me to get my own done.

Mzminty- I had my mom pick some up for me but thank you. I'm sorry about your mom. . I hope your tween stuff works out and the family meeting. It makes me happy we homeschool and my pre-teen doesn't have many friends her age (but sad, too).

Well, I just found out my mom won't be here for ds' surgery next Thursday and likely not for the birth. . I hate being so isolated without help. Dh can't really take that day off so I'll have to take all the kids at 6-7 am to the hospital somehow, not go into labor, and somehow help him with no help for me.
I wish we all lived closer to you so we could help out - that will be a stressful day for you.

I went to the chiro yesterday and my pelvic bone isn't pliable, so he says I'm not liable to go into labour anytime soon - like I didn't know that anyway.

Dh went out with some friends last night (and let me off the hook for doing the dishes - yesterday was a VERY TIRING day) - I had a bath at 8:45, went to bed at 9:30, and slept until 9 am! (Well, with some interruptions...like the kids screaming at 6:45 - dh got up with them, which was very sweet of him, considering he didn't get to bed until 2 am). The kicker is....I'm not feeling that much more rested. As dh says, I won't feel more rested until this baby is sleeping well, which will be at least 2 years away.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#10 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 03:57 PM

My 2 yo still doesn't sleep well. All of my other kids did by her age.

STILL at soccer with no end in sight. I'm so tired. At least it's warmer now.

#11 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Trying not to cry now. Dh is unwilling to take acouple hours off to watch the kids while I take ds to surgery even though he did last week for no reason other than wanting to sleep in. And apparently he is only going to take 2-3 days off for the baby because that's "enough that I'll be fine with him gone". WTF? Is there a dh trade in program?

#12 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM

kitty - sorry your dh isn't supporting you the way you need right now. i'd imagine that that is extra stress you really don't need.

i can't believe it is practically november.
i'm two weeks away...
had an ultrasound yesterday because of the GD. the baby is about 7 lbs 7 oz and measuring right on, so the midwife says she will give me until 2 days past my due date for induce. i really don't want to be medically induced! my numbers have been well controlled with diet and a tiny bit of insulin at night and my measurements and NSTs are all good. it seems like induction is unnecessary if things continue like this. ugh! not sure if i can convince the midwives of that.

having a date tonight with the hubby...i can't remember the last time we went out alone. we'll go out to dinner even though it's hard to find a good low carb meal...i really don't care what i eat. i am just excited to be out as a couple!!!

i feel like i still have a lot to do. the hospital bag is mostly packed. my daughter is mostly packed for wherever she ends up going. the plastic is on the bed just in case. i want to make a shirt for my daughter and the new little one and get/wrap gifts for them to give to each other. i need to make curtains for our bedroom, cover some throw pillows, and make a cake topper for a friend's wedding - but am having trouble motivating.

oh - and you all reminded me...i really need a haircut!!
#13 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another thread! Already! Wow!

I can't get my brain in a place to catch up just yet... Had big plans for today (cleaning the whole house - yay!) but my head has been killing me. So far the living room is much improved (a little decluttering left to do on the side tables) and I spot-cleaned the rug (badly needed). The 3yo is napping (thanks to DH laying down with him) and I'm trying to eat more so that I can be productive.

I did get some lovely mail today! Two diapers for baby and a custom-made necklace for me:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=783248080

Will catch up more later... but don't want to get further behind!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Thank you, Mamas, for all the sympathy/empathy. I did end up telling DH about the slap (and while doing so!) He was very understanding. I'm not sure why I expected him to judge me for that, but I did. He's been a teacher for 15+ years, and has SO much more patience than I do, most of the time. Anyway, I felt better telling all of you and then him Thanks again!

Someone mentioned worrying about gray hair and vanity...I don't see it as vanity at all. I was blonde when I was younger, but have had to highlight my hair for over a decade now to get the same look. I went natural while pregnant with DS and for a while afterwards, but was getting depressed because I just didn't look like ME. My hair is a mousy, ashy light brown naturally, and it just seemed so dull and boring. I went back to highlighting, and haven't regretted it (although I sometimes regret the $$) I actually just got my hair done yesterday, and I'm so glad I was able to do that before the baby comes! I'll probably spread it out more now that I'm not working (and making money), but I can't see myself giving it up again.

Kitty I can not believe your DH won't take time off for the surgery! Mind boggling. Can you afford to hire someone to stay home with your other kids while you go with DS? I so wish you had someone closer by to support you.

We freak out sometimes about not having family nearby (DH's parents are coming for a week to 10 days to watch DS while DH and I are at the hospital for the section and recovery), but we actually have a pretty good support network. We don't call on neighbors or friends often, but they are always there when we do. I feel grateful for that.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#15 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Ugh, Desiree...I'm so sorry your dh isn't being more understanding about taking time off. I wish you had another means of support. A babysitter (maybe from another homeschooling family?) might be able to help...

I strung up my birth beads yesterday and am off to Michael's this afternoon to find a clasp! I'll post a pic once the necklace is done.

Is cleaning the baseboards in the bathroom with an old toothbrush considered nesting? How about changing the yucky shower curtain (standing on top of the tub)? If yes, then I'm nesting (although I don't intend to go into labour anytime soon...)...

Off to Halloween storytime and then to the inlaw's house for dinner!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#16 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dang, Julie ~ I tried to quote your post from the other thread but it didn't work and I'm too fried to go C&P.

I can't believe you dealt with that for 9 yrs! We've been here for, sheesh, almost 12 yrs! But somehow reading what you went through sounds more stressful than this, but who knows? We sure could get together over hot drinks & commiserate a bit, eh?

Misa ~ ya for last shifts!!

Catie ~ I'm SOOO excited that it's almost November!!

Fern ~ SO glad you're feeling better ~ woo-hoo!!

Desiree ~ I'm sorry you won't have help on such a stressful day. I joke with mine about trade-in programs too.

Bobbi ~ so *that's* what you meant about the chiro said you weren't "ready" to have the baby...interesting. I'll have to ask my chiro what he thinks on Wednesday.

Karen ~ I'm glad you got that off your chest with your DH. *phew* I can imagine how much better you feel.

AFM: our CSA potluck was really nice but good goddess - all of the sweets!! They were all homemade and natural, but still all sugar. I'm exhausted form telling the kids "no" 46238956658356 times.

I AM exhausted. I guess I didn't sleep enough last night? I feel like I slept soundly, but maybe not for enough hours...

Thanks for all of the hair color suggestions. Last night I returned the box of dark blond hair color and said "I give up, I'd like to return this." The lady thought it was funny. And then today as I drove past it on the way home from the CSA, I *almost* stopped in to buy the lightest brown. But I didn't. I might follow the suggestions and actually go to the Aveda salon (it's not as toxic, right?) and see about low lights & blending while I grow it out. I have to separate this from the nesting stuff because it's really NOT about baby - but there are sooooo many things that fall into my nesting category that really have nothing to do with baby...it's just a general broad-spectrum madness.

I have to get through 2 more full days. Then I can get a nice, long massage from DP. I *really* hope he distracts the kids for a while so I can just *be*. I borrowed a dozen Real Simple magazines from the library today because it sounds really nice to be able to lay in bed and flip through magazines mindlessly. I wish there was a Waldorf version of Real Simple or Martha Stewart - something with earthy, crafty, AP-ness. (Somehow Mothering doesn't fit this bill for me, ahem. )

Holy cow! It's almost 6pm! I have to go cook up some burgers...

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#17 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Hooray for a new thread! I'm 36 weeks today so doing my own little happy dance over here.

kitty- I'm sorry you have to deal with the stress of the surgery without help from dh. Like everyone else, I wish we all lived in the same area!

Fern- Glad you're feeling better!

Meta- I've got some issues of Real Simple in my hospital bag for postpartum reading. But I agree, something along the lines of Soule Mama's blog would be nice in magazine format.

And from the last thread- I think it was birthdancedoula's blessingway today-- I hope you had a wonderful time!

AFM- I think this week when I stopped going into work, I also reached a new low in laziness. I am in awe of how much you ladies are still getting done each day. Baking and home projects and cleaning and shopping... you inspired me to scrub the bathroom this morning. So glad I got that taken care of. We spent a lot of time shopping today and I got buntings for the babies. Another big thing to cross of my list.

Baby A is head down and sitting way low under my pubic bone. Baby B has been breech for months now. At my appt this past week, we talked a lot about trying to make sure there would be a dr with breech experience on call when I go into labor. My own dr and 3 others in the practice are very experienced with breech twins. We think that weekdays there will always be someone available but nights are a bit more dodgy. I really feel like they are working with me and I appreciate it, but it's stressful to have this added element of uncertainty. I feel like labor will be FAST once it begins-- my last was only 3 hrs from the first contraction. My own dr offered to try to drive in even if it isn't her call, but there's a good chance she might not make it in time.
#18 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 PM

((((kitty)))) im so sorry that your dp is being a bum. i so know how that feels and i hate that other woman feel unsupported. ARG. if i were closer i would totally help you out too.

butterflies, im so glad you have supportive dr's! i cant wait to hear all about your perfect twin birth!
and dude, you working up till this point is amazing. laziness is NOT a word for a mama pregnant with 2 people.

meta: yay for your dp getting home so soon! ddid the time fly by or drag a bit?

bobbi, yeah.. i would call that nesting but its okay.. i think we are all getting there.

well, i managed to wake up, clean the kitchen & feed the LO's.. then make 2 huge shepphard's pies and 2 huge lasagne's... while cleaning up in between because my kitchen is TINy.
i also washed lots of laundry and cleaned up my dd's room (including mopping on my hands and kness under every dresser and beds and stuff) because my mom is staying here for a few days before going home and sleeping in there i hope i dont freak out. she tries but man she is irritating.
*sigh* im all ache all over. and we still have treats to make for Halloween tomorrow, but i think that will be a tomorrow morning project by now.
all this cooking and i dont have any idea what we will have for supper.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#19 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Desiree, I'm so sorry for you! I don't understand why your dh wouldn't want to take off work if your son is having surgery. And only 2 or 3 days to help you out postpartum?!!! I don't know what he does for a living and the state of his vacation time, etc, but that just seems so... ugh. Do you feel like you could have a heart to heart with him and get him to see the necessity of helping you out a little more?

Fern, my kitchen is relatively small too, and I get so frustrated by lack of counter space! I made breakfast this morning, cleaned up, got dinner going, cleaned up and ate dinner and cleaned up again. I told dh that if I could hire help for around the house for one thing and one thing only, it would be a designated kitchen cleaner! I'm so glad you're starting to feel better. Does the thought of birth seem not so daunting now?

Meta, I just don't think family members are meant to live together as adults, in general. For me, it was both a blessing and a curse. I miss my parents so much, but love having my own home! I think we'd have lots to talk about over hot (or cold) drinks. Let me know if you're ever traveling west!

I'm embarrassed to say this, but every time another one of us mamas has a baby, I get so... jealous! And happy of course, but seriously, I'd be lying if I said I didn't!

I wanted to post more about my day, but ds needs to go to bed. Maybe I'll be back later.

#20 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Kitty, that's so awful that he's not being supportive. I swear they just don't get it. It's so hard to parent under the very best of circumstances and I cannot imagine having small children with me in a hospital waiting room while my other child was having surgery.

I am SO exhausted this evening. Ds and I got into an ugly argument earlier today. He's slowly been ripping a hole in his wall. Why, you might ask? I haven't got a clue. So, after repeated warnings, he'd stopped doing it. Then, last night he went to town and there is a giant patch where the wall is ripped down to the drywall. I was mad. Told him he had to clean up his whole room because we would be moving his bed away from the wall so he didn't do any more damage to the wall. He proceeded to throw a fit about me making him be a slave () and I proceeded to lose my temper.

So, I cleaned the room and have 2 giant bags to give away and a giant bag of garbage. While I was spending the entire day cleaning, his dad took him to the hardware store with his entire piggy bank and made him explain to the clerk what he had done and had to ask how they could fix it. Then he had to pay for it with his own money. However, when they got home, he and his sister trashed the living room and I felt compelled to clean that up. Then there was the whole mess that *I* had left in the kitchen.

It's just after 7:30 tonight and I just realized that I haven't eaten anything today. Not so great. I'm looking forward to my bed tonight.
#21 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Meta-- I actually worked in an Aveda salon and I have to say I LOOOVE their color. No other color I have tried is even close. And it is 97% plant derived. It leaves your hair so shiny and barely does any damage compared with other colors. And I would definitely go with the highlight/lowlight route if you can!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#22 of 180 Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Sorry you had such a cruddy day, Ellen.

So I wanted to write a little story about my day... AKA, you can skip this if you want! But I need to get it off my chest.

So we had a "family meting" today because I wanted to set some things right around here, and since I've been pregnant, the whole household has been heading to hell in a handbasket. Knowing I'm going to be feeling like a normal person again in a few weeks, I thought it was a good time to make/revisit some rules and such. The whole crux of the meeting was about the fact that we have the TV on way too much, and half the time no one is even actively watching it. Then I said that there needs to be a rule about not watching a DVD in the minivan (it came with a DVD player, so guess who's been wanting to pop something in every time we go anywhere?) unless we're going on a long trip. And then there's the Nintendo ds that my ex got dd for her birthday, and she wants an i-pod touch for Christmas. I basically said that all of these things cause us to tune each other out and turn our brains to mush, instead of tuning into each other and bringing us closer as a family. Dd started crying as I laid out all the rules and told her that she wouldn't be getting the i-pod touch for Christmas, but smaller, more meaningful gifts. And I kept tearing up and getting emotional as I let her know that I missed her talking with me and wanting to spend time with the rest of the family, and how the time you spend with the people you love is what really counts at the end of your life. She got a little sassy at that point and asked me to "leave off of the death stuff", but I told her that with both of my parents gone, it makes me realize that you're born, you squeeze in as much love and joy as you can, and you die, and that's the name of the game.

Anyway, she pouted for a little while but I think it did hit home with her. We have an analogy about being a "white bread" girl (mainstream, only concerned about popularity, etc.) or "wheat bread" girl (an individual, intelligent, etc.), and she gets irritated when I bring it up now, but when we initially discussed it, she was all about how she wanted to be "wheat bread" as much as I wanted her to be. I know in her heart she's whole wheat, but the constant influx of pop culture from friends, TV and etc is starting to influence her too much, I think. And with me being absorbed by this pregnancy and feeling like crap, I've really let things go with her. I *want* to spend time with her doing things around the house like cooking, and fun things like going ice skating or taking an art class together. We started off the year with a monthly "date" planned, but after I got pregnant, it completely went off track. So here's to a new beginning!

And then this. During the meeting when I was talking about tuning out, I mentioned that I know I've been on the computer a lot during this pregnancy and that's something that I expect to change after I have the baby. Later, dh said to me, "I'm glad you brought that up about being on the computer, because I was going to bring it up to you privately if you didn't." Well, that set me off crying again about how miserable I've been for the last many months and how having the support of you ladies has really helped me get through, etc. So part of me felt even worse, like I'm an addict, and then the other part of me wanted to say, "Isn't it the same thing when you sit in front of the TV after the kids are in bed or when you're drinking your coffee in the morning?" On those occasions, I'm often sitting next to him, sometimes even lying down with my head on his lap so I can feel close to him, but we're certainly not focused on each other. I'm not saying I'm not without guilt, but isn't that the same thing?

I guess I'm curious to know if any of you struggle with these same issues? I'm always curious as to whether or not crunchy women marry crunchy men or if a man and woman get married and the woman finds herself getting comfy with her crunchy side while her husband either doesn't or just lets it go but doesn't actively participate in the crunchiness... When dh and I were very newly dating, I very clearly remember lying in bed with him after a long, intimate afternoon, and feeling the need to let him know in great detail how I felt about pregnancy, birth, circumcision, vaccinations, etc. I think the fact that he didn't run away from me screaming at that point made me love him even more. And though he's on board with 90% of what I want, the other 10% is just too much for him. And that's ok, because he's a great husband and father, and I'd have to look far and wide to find anyone else who would even come close to him.

Ok, well that's enough of that. Congratulations and thank you to any of you mamas who actually made it to the end of this post!

#23 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 12:15 AM

Love the necklace and dipes, Heather!

Everyone seems to be hardcore nesting on here.

AFM- Dh totally can take time off and that is what ticks me off the most. He has well over a dozen sick days (they're cumulative) paid that he can take. He has taken 5 other ones in the past year for concert or band related reasons, but only will do 2-3 for a new baby? I want to kidney punch him for that.

I am dreadfully sunburnt from the soccer thing today and so is my oldest dd. But ToTing went well and the kids had a good day. My tailbone felt broken the whole time we walked around but luckily ds is the right height to be my human crutch and doesn't mind the job. I also made 2 lasagnas, 2 things of chili, cornbread, 2 fruit crisps, 6 french bread pizzas, and...I think that's it, for the freezer.

And then I lost a massive part of my plug. I went to go pee and there was like jello in my drawers. So unpleasant. But somehow my cervix seemed higher? I don't get it. Either way, my swollen feet and I cleaned the house just in case.

#24 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 AM

Julie-my dh was totally NOT crunchy, either, but I've brought him over to the dark side. Bwahahahaha!

I'm glad the talk went well. I'm on the computer a lot, too, but I have no social life, don't talk on the phone but rare occasions, don't go anywhere and it's the only thing close to a break I get. Plus dh is on more than me usually, so I stopped feeling so bad about it.

#25 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 AM

Ellen, I'm sorry you had such a blah day (and so much cleaning!).

Julie - my dh is on board with the AP stuff, but he's definitely not crunchy. We are a pretty low-tech household, though - no TV, etc. - and I think it is a good thing. My one vice is, as yours is, the computer - dh sometimes calls himself an "Internet widower". I imagine we'll have more issues as our kids get older and start tuning into their peers more.

Desiree, you totally had a nesting day! Baking (any long amounts on my feet, actually) is really tough for me these days, even though I love it.

I'm finding it really tough to sit here and type while feet are being pushed into my ribs. Ouch.

#26 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't catch up. My brain just won't do it.

So, I'm sending big hugs to everyone... I've been reading but I just can't make myself sort out replies.

Today ended up being fairly productive but now I'm paying for it and can barely walk. But we got a lot of work done on the living room (which the kids have already trashed again ) and the front rooms (formal living/dining), which included sorting through the boxes of baby stuff that are in there as a safe haven from the dusty mess of the bedroom. So I washed another load of baby stuff and have culled through what else I need to work with. I also got a co-op order finished off for Lunapads and then ordered some other pads for me from Homestead Emporium (I think those are my favorite ever!), without spending a fortune either place. I dug out the rest of my existing mama cloth and have it washing, too.

I'd really, really like to still get some more reusable chux/mattress pads, but I'm just not sure that's going to happen. I'm pretty sure that once everything is washed that I've got everything I need, though.

Does anyone else hate washing brand new things? I really love the crispness (even in soft things, if that makes sense!) and newness and "perfectness" of brand new stuff. I'm having a hard time forcing myself to wash the baby clothes. I suppose that's why I often end up doing such things at the last minute! I'd rather sit and stare at the perfect little outfits than actually clean them. And I guess that's why I don't typically prewash clothes for my big kids... I really only do that with itty baby things. Is that awful?

Accuweather.com has forecasts for the weekend I hit 39 weeks... The weekend I dreamt the baby would come... The weekend corresponding to when my last two came. Eek! And, really, I think I'll be ready. Wow.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#27 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 AM

Heather, I don't tend to wash stuff that I wear or the big kids wear right away, either. Just the tiny baby stuff because my babies have all had relatively sensitive skin.

I made chili for dinner tonight, the Italian Sausage I used tasted a bit bleh. It wasn't rancid, it didn't smell badly... just tasted like it had been in the freezer a little too long. I'm hoping we don't get sick from it because I really don't want to throw away a HUGE pot of chili that I was hoping to have in the crock pot while I was in labor.

Why when I leave the house do I have really intense, very real prodromal-ish labor and then as soon as I get home, it stops?? Wouldn't it make sense that I'd be too freaked out lol somewhere else and would feel more comfortable at home? I had some very real things going on tonight and when I got home it totally quit.

#28 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 AM

Oh! I'm 39 weeks... (it's almost 1am here) WOW.. I swear it was just yesterday I was posting that I was 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks, lmao. This pregnancy has really gone by so fast compared to my last two.

#29 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 AM

i fee like the first 8 months went by pretty fast... this last few weeks seems to be taking lifetimes though! im trying to be patient, but its hard when you wake up at 4am starving and even rolling over hurts So much.
but this too shall pass...

oh and your chili sounds So good!
another good freezer meal idea...

im going to try to go back to bed now that i have some bread & cheese in my belly.

busy day ahead...
maybe ill have a baby (wishful thinking since its the last day in october.. )

Quote:

#30 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 AM

My husband looked at me the other day and said, "I feel like you've been pregnant forever." Hey, buddy, me too ! He didn't mean anything by it and I didn't take offense, but this has been the longest 9 months of my life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page