suggestions for helping toddler cope with new baby before and after? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due in a few weeks. Have 1 dd who is 3.5
She is such a daddies girl i didnt think she would even be effected by anything but all the sudden about a week or two ago she started wanting to sleep with me at night (normally sleeps wieth her daddy) she is still very attached to him on weekends and whenever he comes home from work, sometimes for lunch etc. (im a sahm)

I can just tell that this upcoming baby is already effecting her.

I try to get a lot of time in with her, give her lots of free time, non stress time, do activities with her, we have lots of big sister books. Sh eis very excited about meeting him and being a big sister

when he comes she will be a big helper i'm sure and I intend to include her in whatever i can

she is working on making him a baby book
i knit blankets for each of them for his b day and they both will get pj's too
she will help set up for his b day party if she's up while im in labor
i am hoping to make a basket of special toys that she can take out while i nurse and special books i can read to her while i nurse

anything else?
how are your toddlers reacting to baby? how are they reacting the few weeks before?
#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Mine knows the jig is up (she's 2.5). Her sleep took a major backwards turn (from putting herself to sleep and sleeping 12 hrs solid to fighting sleep, having to be cuddled to sleep and gettin up 3 or 4 times in the night) and she stopped cooperating in most everything. I was pretty much a basket case in September. Now that we are almost there things have improved a lot...we've been reinforcing with her how we will love her just as much when the baby comes, reading a lot of books about being a big sister and new babies. I feel for her, this 'baby' thing is so abstract to a 2 year old, it may just suck for a while, I'm afraid, but I hope that the baby physically being here will help her make the conection better.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#3 of 3 Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM

I have noticed that my kiddos who were between two and four when new siblings arrived had a little trouble adjusting to their new place, more-so because they wanted to be independent but still wanted that momma time. When the new baby came, mom's attention may not be available the minute they decided they need it and it usually took a week of gentle reminders, redirection and extra snuggling, with or without new babe in arms for them to feel comfortable again. When my second was born my first was 4 1/2 so he really just wanted to play with the baby and couldn't wait for his brother to play trucks and dinos with him. He thought the baby was pretty boring and was happy when we took walks and the baby slept in the sling! Good luck and remember it is normal for an adjustment period and it is normal for no adjustment period, each kiddo is so different.

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page