Postpartum chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

bobbi... marah hasn't been an every day pooper but when she goes we have the opposite problem, she explodes out of the diaper. i actually made her belly button bleed :( on thanksgiving because i had to clean out a mess of poop from in there. I think her cord fell off a few days before it was really ready... and that's why she's had some bleeding. Oh.. and as for using all the milk, yes.. it's the perfect food and when they need it to grow they'll use up most of it with very little waste. :)

I am wearing a pair of nonmaternity jeans... totally surprised I could get them all the way up, zipped and buttoned. I can sit in them albeit they are slightly snug but I'm taking this as a victory! :) It took me a very long time to wear 'real' clothes after Sage.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I haven't lost a pound in over 2 weeks. I'm sick of wearing maternity clothes! greensad.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Desiree, I've kinda plateaued on weight loss for the moment as well... I think because I'm eating a little less right now. Seems when I eat more I drop the pounds a little faster. I'm 145... down from 170, so that's what... 25 pounds? Yeah.. I've still got about 25, maybe 30 (ha!) to go.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Glad I'm not the only one tired of still wearing maternity clothes!  I haven't weighed myself in over a week, so not sure where I am compared to pre-preg. But my belly is still TENDER and I worry that non-maternity wear will be tight in all the wrong places.

DH pulled FOUR boxes of clothes out of the attic yesterday. Hopefully there is an entire usable wardrobe in there somewhere.

I also worry I set my recover back a little bit. When I was discharged, I was told not to lift anything too heavy (more than 15 pounds, although someone else said no heavier than baby) to prevent pulling open one of the many incisions. But they didn't say how long that restriction would be in place. Well, yesterday, I took DS to the bookstore for a treat, and he was tired and cranky when we left and wouldn't walk. I ended up carrying him - all 33 pounds - across the entire parking lot to the car. I didn't feel so great right after, although I feel OK now. It just sucks to still be tender and restricted; it wasn't like this at all after DS's vaginal birth. greensad.gif

I am not having much luck side-lying nursing. But I have ginormous breasts. I think I'm an H-cup now. Maybe a G. I don't know. Huge! Especially compared to little Paige's head! If I"m to feel like I'm not going to smother her, I have to sort of lean back a bit after she latches, and that is hell on my back. I have to get up to change her diaper every time she wakes, anyway, so I've been going into the other room to sit in the glider and nurse her. SHe's waking about 3 times a night, and most night's it's all OK. But last night was hell. She was gassy and fussy and didn't want to return to sleep after her feeds. So I think I got about 3.5 hours. greensad.gif  I think around 6am, when she fussed awake again (and I"d been up since 4:15), I just hugged her to me and started to cry and beg her to sleep.  Ugh.  And of course it was on a morning when DH had to leave at 7:15, so no sleeping in, even though she was happily asleep by that point!

Well, those are my post-partum woes!  LOL!

Here is a totally awesome picture of my two kids. love.gif  Can't believe I have TWO kids!!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM

So adorable, Karen! And weirdly, it said that your picture was outside my safe search filter. What's up with that? lol.gif

I was always told nothing heavier than the baby for 6 weeks, I would assume that's extra important post c-section.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

So adorable, Karen! And weirdly, it said that your picture was outside my safe search filter. What's up with that? lol.gif

Said the same thing for me, too but I concur...very adorable!!love.gif

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Karen! love.gif So cute! I think they have the same nose.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM

I've been lifting my 3 year old... not much, but occasionally she needs me, too. I miss holding her :( I was thinking that when I was nursing her before a nap this afternoon... I really haven't held and snuggled her for any extended period of time since I've brought the baby home. So I snuggled her down for her nap... and then held her while she slept a bit, then Marah joined in, lol.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 PM

I actually lifted my 3 year old while I was still in the hospital.  I don't really recommend it, but, well, sometimes that baby needs mommy too.  However, I didn't have a C and just had one little stitch.  I can't remember to take it easy and it's too late now.  Can't believe it but I want to dtd too and I'm out of my maternity clothes as well (do those things relate? orngtongue.gif). But more important, I just feel like myself again!!!!!!!!  I'm a writer and the entire time I was pregnant (same as my other pregnancies) I didn't feel like doing a thing.  Now I am ITCHING to get at my paper and pencil.

Went for a weight check today.  Rachel is 12 ounces above birth weight at 19 days.  Think she's actually gaining slower than her brother and sister did, but, man, this girl sleeps.  I've never had a sleeper - it's amazing!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Last night was horrible.... Ian screamed/fussed from 8:30-11.. I was so exhausted I was FALLING ASLEEP between back-patting and nursing... Then he was awake from 3-4 fussing and pooping. :( :( Not to mention waking every hour or so to nurse... I am so tired today. I ordered some probiotics for Ian yesterday, hoping they will help.. he seems to be very gassy and in pain during these fussy periods.. And this morning he woke up with a TON of man-sized farts and he was crying just before letting out each one. :( poor little thing. I am also starting to limit dairy in hopes that will help his tummy too.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Catie-I think cutting dairy might help. Sounds like my #4 with her dairy issues. Molly has been a grumpasaurus, too. And last night she had green mucousy poop in with the regular mustard seedy stuff. So I'm hoping it's not dairy issues starting.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

I had to cut dairy with Liam too, for pretty much the entire time he was getting milk (my milk dried up when he was about 20 months old when I was 2 months preg with Ian).. he can eat cheese and small amounts of dairy now, but can't drink milk or eat yogurt. I was sooo hoping to not have to do that this time... I noticed a little bit of green in Ian's poop earlier.... and he's had a little rash that comes and goes that looks like the rash Liam had all over when he was a tiny baby and reacting to the dairy. I am really hoping if I just start to limit it, and do the probiotics, that will be enough... with Liam I couldn't even have hidden dairy.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 AM

I lifted my 30 lb 2 year old the other day to get her in the car seat and I could barely do it!  I was lifting her all the time while pregnant and now I've gone a few weeks without and she feels like a ton of bricks compared to the baby.  I was told not to lift her due to my stitiches, but I figure since my bottom has felt totally normal for almost 2 weeks now it should be fine.  I'm just out of shape!  Luckily she's so independent she doesn't have much need to be lifted these days, save the car seat.

So we went to the kid's Christmas party for DH's company on the weekend, and also took a trip to Costco with the baby.  I wore her in the sling both times and it worked great, she slept the whole time and it was no problem at all.  And yet why do people feel compelled to say, "Oh, you are so brave".  She's 3 weeks old, we need to get out of the house and get on with our lives at some point, and it's sure easier to take a tiny baby out than a crawling or walking one.  IDK, I don't think I was being brave, just living my life! 

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Yeah, the so brave thing confuses me too.  Am I just supposed to sit home all the time?  What about my other kids?  We'd all go nuts if we were together like that!

The only trouble with dairy that any of my kids have had is when I have yogurt.  It made both ds and dd1 MISERABLE.  I'm not even trying it this time.  However, all other dairy products (and I'm a huge dairy-lover) didn't do a thing.  Hope that eliminating it solves the problem.

Dd2 is starting to develop baby acne.  I thought she was going to avoid it since it seems late, but doesn't look like it now.  We also think that her eyes are starting to shift blue like the other 2.  Still not sure about the hair yet.  Genetics crack me up.  Ending up with blue-eyed, blond-haired children isn't what we would have guessed.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Catie, remember that it can take up to 2 weeks to eliminate the dairy from your body/milk... Though he may show improvement well before that.  

Eliana has been more fussy but I also have been splurging on drinks from Sonic for a couple of days.  I'm wondering if the caffeine is what was getting to her.  Today, she wasn't as fussy (no sodas!) for the most part... But then she had trouble falling asleep.  I had to hold her in the "baby whose tummy hurts" position - over my arm facing down. She fell asleep like that twice, and woke up laying on her back in between.  Now she's sleeping on the couch next to me on her tummy and seems fine.  

And her last diaper had green, too.  Did I mention she's thrown up each of the prior two days?  That's 4 times total now, I think - and we're talking fully emptying her tummy, not spitting up.  She barely spits up at all, actually!  But the vomiting thing is a bit disconcerting.  Her tummy has been rumbly, too, and coincided with some of the fussiness.  All these signs of tummy troubles but I'm not sure what's causing it. Reflux?  (All my boys have had pretty significant issues with it.) Tummy bug? (Probably not since it's not really acute.)  Allergies?  Sensitivities?  Pedi today suggested avoiding dairy but I'm going to start with avoiding caffeine and see how that goes.  I hope we don't have to cut dairy - I've done it before and know what a pain it is!  Thankfully I'm not too dependent on dairy products, mostly just the butter on a biscuit or whatever's cooked in stuff.

Eliana is really getting into a steady rhythm.  She has a couple of wakeful periods a day, particularly in the morning and evening.  She sleeps a good chunk of the day and I even got to nap with  both her and my 3yo today.  :thumb  I have felt like the fatigue has been catching up... But it could also be that I need to keep up with my fish oil and placenta capsules better!  She really sleeps well at night and it's amazing!  It's taken some getting used to but I am not going to complain! :)  My first was a horrible sleeper and they've gotten a little better with each one... So nice!  (Their hair has also gotten curlier as we've gone on.. Wondering what will happen with Eliana!)

It is so hard to believe it's been over 2 weeks! :) :(  I want it to slow down! I'm also torn between feeling like I should be able to do everything on my own now (which I can do to some degree) and wanting to take it easy for as long as possible and not rush getting back to "normal" yet.  Thankfully my DH is okay with that and the fact that he works from home means it's a little easier.  I was able to take Eliana to the pedi on my own today.  We're watching a couple of things (her vomiting and her eyes that don't open quite the same amount) but her weight has clearly come up despite the differences on the scales.  According to the pedi, she's gained 11oz in the past 10 days, so that seems good.  She's still 20.5" according to the doc (so much for my idea that she was 21"! I guess my MW was right!) and her head is still 14" - all 50th percentile as is her weight.

It looks like we're going to have a baby shower in another two weeks.  There are a few things that worry me but I think it's all going to be fine.  It'll be the day before her one month birthday.  Wow!!  I wanted it to be this coming weekend originally but some things came up and so it didn't get set in stone (all related to the stuff that worries me but surely it'll be good!).  So as it turns out my MIL will be here... I'd wanted to avoid that but with time ticking (I feel pressure because she's getting older!) and the Christmas season upon us, it seemed foolish to wait another week even though it would mean my MIL would be gone and my sister would be here.  

Lochia - still have the on-again/off-again thing going on here.  Ready for it to be off for good!  But it's not too bad for 2 weeks pp.

Genetics - I have dark brown hair and never imagined I'd have 3 blonde-haired little boys!  I'm really hoping Ellie keeps the darker hair she was born with. :lol  My big boys' eyes have continued to change color for years, starting out super blue and making the gradual change.  Eliana's seemed very gray when she was born but they're clearly blue now.  Mine are hazel so blue isn't TOO far off but it's always interesting to see!  For a while, my boys thought boys had blue eyes (the 2-3 of them, Daddy, Papa) and girls had green eyes (me, my mom and sister - all hazel with green in there).  :lol

Other kids - My 8yo was telling us today that he is having a hard time because it feels like he has no one to play with other than his brothers.  Which is kinda funny 'cause, um, they are always playing together even before baby!  But I think he's feeling like we're less available and that's hard on him.  I'm pretty sure we had this discussion at some point before she was born, though, so it may just be an "I'm 8 and want more adult interaction and have parents who have other stuff going on, too" kind of a thing.  So we need to figure out how to carve out more time for the big kids, get more housework done (bazillion tons of laundry, two kids' rooms that are disasters, declining main rooms, and a MIL coming in a week!!!)

I'm rambling on 'cause I never get to post. :o  I need to take my sleeping little bundle to bed and get some sleep, too.  

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Heather-I would start with caffeine, then cut dairy if it's still an issue and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance isn't an issue. I'm thinking it's the latter in my little gal right now. I hope.

Genetics always get me, too. My mom is blonde haired and blue eyed and I look nothing like her family besides face shape and mouth. I mean, nothing. They used to joke that I was adopted. Then I met my real father and we're just alike. So I've always been interested in these things. I had blonde Shirley Temple hair as a child and blue eyes. My eyes are now blue/green and my hair a dark to medium brown with bronze overtones. I also have sallow but pale skin. My oldest has strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes and looks JUST like my mother. It's fairly scary. My son has dirty blonde hair (not from his father!) and hazel eyes and they got their tallness from their father. My next two have my curly brown hair and mouth and hazel eyes (dh has brown eyes and dark brown hair) and they are tiny and pixieish. Now Molly is big and has blonde/slightly red hair like my oldest and a fair complexion like her, too. I'm assuming it's those long lost Viking genes I know I have (from dna tests in the family-I'm into genealogy and almost entirely Irish). I'm hoping her eyes are not hazel just for a mix up!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM

haven't posted in a while, but i've been reading along!  i only have a moment, so i'll try to be brief...

siblings:  my 2yo DS is getting better with his emotional breakdowns (unless he's overtired), but i've been refusing his requests to nurse :( because his nursing HURTS me!  i keep fearing that i'm developing an infection (i contracted a bad bacterial infection while in the hospital having him 2+ years ago and it made nursing excrutiating as i fought the infection for MONTHS).  when baby nurses, however, it doesn't hurt, unless DS has just nurse, and then my nips are very tender.  so i'm telling him "no, my boobies hurt when you nurse" and he usually responds with "ooookaaaay." kind of sad, but accepting of it.  his suck is just so strong...

my 5yo DD seems to be developing some resentment toward baby, after 3 wks of doting on her and wanting to hold her ALL the time.  she kept wanting to carry her around and swaddle/unswaddle her -- like her own baby doll.  i keep reminding her that she's not a doll, she's a person, and a fragile one.  well, yesterday, she DROPPED HER ON HER HEAD.  baby is okay (DS was sitting on the floor), but cried on and off for a while.  :(  my daughter is kind of a drama queen, so when we asked her what happened (she was supposed to be sitting on the couch holding her and DH and i were both out of the room at the moment), she said she threw her (i highly doubt that).  i asked why, and she said "because she's always nursing my arm and i'm not her mama!"  uhhh, okay.  we made a big deal about how serious dropping the baby is, and she is not allowed to hold her again for a while.  i am nervous about how she is going to feel toward the baby now...

lochia:  i swear i'm having a period, and i don't see how that's possible.  i have NEVER had a period while ebf'ing, and she's only 3 weeks old!  things had slowed down to alternate brownish discharge and the occasional red spotting, with sometimes nothing at all.  but several days ago it started to be red with tiny clots and hasn't stopped.  not as much as a normal period for me, but definitely continuous.  :/  i thought at first i was overdoing it and need to rest more, then i was worried about retained membranes/placenta (which is ridiculous), but now i just have no idea.  this is just so unlike me.

my back has been killing me, too, and wearing baby does not help that.  by the end of the day i am ready to pop a few ibuprofen and sit with my biomat for a few hours.  i have even broken down and taken a muscle relaxer a few times.  i have chronic back problems (mild scoliosis resulting in atrophied back muscles) that require rx meds (muscle relaxers and mild narcotic painkillers) on a regular basis... it's hard for me to decide to take these meds, even though i know they are relatively safe to take while bf'ing... but sometimes ibuprofen is not enough.  i have always had a rough time readjusting after birthing, with the new posture, etc.  our ped told me (several years ago) that it's better to medicate for the pain than risk having chronic pain effect my milk supply and/or cause ppd.  she has a good point, so i just have to remember that.  i need to get in to see my chiro -- it's been waaay too long.

my pelvis has felt better since i started sleeping with a pillow between my knees again.  my tailbone still hurts when i sit on hard surfaces, though, so i haven't been to church yet.  i am also not looking forward to dealing with all the admirers oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over the baby.  i got over that 3 babies ago.  also, i'm not sure how our congregation feels about nursing during the service; i'm pretty shy and modest about it and would hate to cause a ruckus (there are a LOT of old people) so i'll probably sit in the back row for a while...i don't want to spend every service in the "window room" because you can't hear anything over the noise of the children in there.  ugh, i guess i have to get it overwith sometime.

as for side-nursing - my main problem is getting her latched on in the dark, and not smothering her with my boob.  my solutions to those problems (which i implemented 3 babies ago ;)) are having a clip-on reading lamp on the headboard that's bent down between the pillows so it's really dim, but enough light to see to get her latched...and it's within reach so i can turn it on and off without moving much.  for the smothering factor, i have to lean back a little after she's latched, so i have a pillow wedged in my back to lean on so i don't have to balance.  just an fyi for those of you struggling with this.  :D

okay, so this wasn't so brief.  LOL

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have a diaper bag problem?

Today, before heading out to our midwife appointment (last one, because she's SIX WEEKS OLD tomorrow!!!), I emptied out the diaper bag. I found:

8 disposable diapers

2 short sleeved onesies

1 long sleeved onesie

A pair of pajamas

A gown 

4 hats

4 receiving blankets

...plus everything else that wasn't duplicated in excessive quantities :)

(Note that, except for midwife appointments, we have yet to be out of the house for more than 3 hours or more than 20 minutes from home.)

I have a habit of throwing an extra something or other in the bag "just in case" rather than checking to see if I actually have that thing in there. Then I wonder why her clothing selection is seeming smaller and smaller.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Ocelotmom - I used to have that problem when DS was a baby. I'd find outfits in his diaper bag that he'd never worn, but had already outgrown! With Charlie, I went and bought a very thin over-the-shoulder bag. Just enough for a couple outfits, some dipes, and wipes. I use a prefold as a change pad.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

I am sooo far behind on everyone! I miss you guys so much!greensad.gif

The boys have to be woken every 3 hours to get their dose of sodium chloride for their metabolic disorder so things have been... hectic.  I say hectic but as bad as it sounds it was more like life draining up until a few days ago.dizzy.gif  Neither of them are nursing from the breast yet so that makes things even more complicated.  So what I was doing was every 3 hours I would give the boys their medication, try to get them to nurse for about 5-10 minutes each, feed them expressed milk in a bottle from the feeding before and then pump so I would have milk for the next feeding.  So basically I was getting 30 minutes to an hour of sleep all day and all night long.... well not really during the day because I need to be up for the day to be with my older children.  Also since the boys both have a really weak suck and I have to work really hard at getting a proper latch plus I pump so much my nipples sometimes look like raw hamburger...  So I have broke down and had my husband get a few cans of the dreaded F word.  Yes... I bought formula.  I am starting to feel a lot more human now and not so zombie like.  I am still continuing to try to breastfeed and really believe once we accomplish that life will be MUCH easier, but for now I am doing what I have to do.

So now that I am getting some sleep I hopefully will be able to do other stuff, you know like come online winky.gif, and get caught back up with everyone. 

So basically hi everyone!wave.gif I have been doing pretty crappy, how about you guys?shrug.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

:lol ocelotmom.  I do exactly the same thing!  Then I can't find any diapers or clothes or blankets or burp cloths.. and the bag is super heavy!  redface.gif

Big hugs, Sasha!  I'm so sorry things are rough for you still.  :(  I hope you can get enough rest and that they figure out the whole breastfeeding thing quickly!

Will try to post more later...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post

Ocelotmom - I used to have that problem when DS was a baby. I'd find outfits in his diaper bag that he'd never worn, but had already outgrown! With Charlie, I went and bought a very thin over-the-shoulder bag. Just enough for a couple outfits, some dipes, and wipes. I use a prefold as a change pad.

You'd think I'd have it all figured out by now, with this being my third and all :) I mean, I know perfectly well that if we need more than 1 sposie or spare outfit for a trip to the library or grocery store, we're probably having a miserable time of it and going straight home, so it doesn't really make sense to carry more than two. And that even if we're out all day, if we're really going through them so fast that 4ish is not enough, we'll have enough warning to get to the store and buy some. But, at least at this age, I get paranoid about having enough to cover any possible circumstance. After cleaning it out, I still have three receiving blankets in there...

(The bag tends to get left in the car if it's somewhere reasonably accessible, though. I have a pocket in the tail of my sling where I stick 1-2 diapers, a burp cloth, my wallet, and so on. So I'm not actually carrying it around all the time, which is probably part of the problem.)

I'm glad I'm not formula feeding. I'd probably insist on bringing one of those big 32oz canisters with me everywhere. I know with my first, I was exclusively breastfeeding, but I had one of those pre-mixed bottles from the hospital floating around in my diaper bag for months, just in case. In case of what, I'm not sure. In case I was out of the house and my boobs suddenly disappeared?

Then once they hit potty training stage, I somehow never remember to bring along a spare pair of underwear and pants. Go figure.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Big kid is in school, Grandpa is here to help with house projects, and DH is looking after little girl while I eat breakfast and jump on here.

We've had a rough couple of nights, with Paige fussy fussy fussy from 9p-2a or so. Last night was a little better, as she slept 3 hours from 2-5, so I got a good chunk of sleep (we slept again 6:30-8:30). The night before, I was only sleeping about an hour out of every 3 or 4. Bleh.

Sasha, I totally understand why you got some formula. Hamburger nipples and no sleep are not good things, not when you've got the two little boys to look after as well as all the older kids. Have you looked into getting donated milk? There are a couple of new mama-to-mama donation organizations, including one called "Eats on Feets" that you can find on FB. I know a friend of mine is donating through there.  I hope as the boys continue to grow and mature you are able to get them on the breast full-time, but sanity is important too!!

So, here's something weird that's been happening - with all the fuss fuss that Paige is going through, she nurses off and on for a couple of hours before going to sleep at night. Then when I lay her down in bed (we aren't side-lying nursing yet), she fusses more, usually with gas...but the past 2-3 nights, she's then had milk streaming out her nose! It's like spit-up, but out her nose. Nothing violent or vomit-like about it. I kept her upright longer last night after she fed, but it still happened. Normal? A sign of something?  DS didn't do anything like this.

I'm also feeling really worn down by my recovery lately. I STILL have pain/tenderness in my belly. It's been a month since the c-section, and it feels like things are STILL shifting around in there. greensad.gif  I only occasionally take pain meds (Advil) so I have this ever-present low grade pain to deal with. Along side the sleepless nights, it's seriously affecting my moods. Ugh.

Hey, at least the sun is out today! coolshine.gif

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Karen-- Ian does the milk out of his nose thing too sometimes...def weird!

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Sasha-I believe I'm fairly local to you. I just bought a pump and am willing to get tested if you need some milk. I don't know what the testing requires-I know I'm clean lol.gif . But anyway, lmk if you need milk. I have no reason to pump except I usually get an oversupply and it helps with engorgement. So message me if you are interested and we can meet up sometime. I'd love to meet a fellow DDCer and see your precious little boys!

Looks like the beginning of the dairy elim diet for me. Stupid dairy. Molly's been puking all day and has hives. Same with my last three kids. I hoped I'd dodged it this time!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post

Karen-- Ian does the milk out of his nose thing too sometimes...def weird!

So glad Paige isn't the only one! lol.gif

in other news, we took her for a weight check today. She's not gaining as fast as I'd like greensad.gif she's up 14 ounces in 16 days, which I guess isn't bad, but DS was gaining 1.5 ounces a day at this stage, so it worries me a bit.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

So glad Paige isn't the only one! :lolin other news, we took her for a weight check today. She's not gaining as fast as I'd like greensad.gif she's up 14 ounces in 16 days, which I guess isn't bad, but DS was gaining 1.5 ounces a day at this stage, so it worries me a bit.

Is she over her birth weight?  The public health nurse here said as long as babies are past their birth weight by 1-2 weeks, things are going well.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

I'm also feeling really worn down by my recovery lately. I STILL have pain/tenderness in my belly. It's been a month since the c-section, and it feels like things are STILL shifting around in there. greensad.gif  I only occasionally take pain meds (Advil) so I have this ever-present low grade pain to deal with. Along side the sleepless nights, it's seriously affecting my moods. Ugh.

Hugs, Karen - I hope you don't have to deal with pain for much longer.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Sasha-hug2.gifMy hats off to you for nursing twins.  It's a big job and I hope that catching up on some sleep will improve things for you.

Clara gets the milk out the nose thing too, when she's nursing sometimes and when she spits up.  She gets dried milk crusts in her nostrils.  I tend to drown my kids with milk, and she's spitting up a lot.  Charlotte never spit up save some milk drool so I don't know normal from problem.  She seems happy enough and she's growing so I'm hoping it's just a laundry problem and not reflux.  I just learned about eats on feets, I'm thinking I might volunteer to donate, since I'm fortunate to have lots.  It's so wrong to me that there is ONE milk bank in Canada.  One.  There were 23 in the 80's.  

Siblings-my 2.5 year old has been super great so far but I think she's so over this baby thing now.  She keeps telling me to 'put Clara in the crib'. She's bored and I can't blame her, it's really boring around here right now.  I'm putting her in swimming and gymnastics in Jan so I hope that will make life a little more interesting for her.  She's cute when I'm nursing Clara, she says she has boobies in her shirt but they have no milk.  Smart girl!

Anyone remotely ready for Christmas?  DH brought home a tree the other night that's sitting naked in our living room.  The house is dirty, shopping is not done.  I can't say I really care, I just want to be low key this year, but I do have a great desire to stuff my face with yummy holiday food.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)

User Tag List