Postpartum chat - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 186 Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got done giving the boys a late night bath and I just HAD to come on here and share why with you guys.

So I got Seamus to sleep and he is laying in the crook of my legs (I pretty much always sit with my legs folded up in the chair with me) and I am feeding Connor.  I go to burp Connor and.... He throws up and it lands on his brothers face!  Seamus woke up very fast and was one very angry boy.  Although I had a few moments of panic and ended up having to wake up my oldest dd to help me clean the boys up I have admit it was a little biglaugh.gifTotally something I will be teasing the boys about for years to come.thumb.gif

Julie, have you tried regularly wiping down your nips with baking soda water?  It seemed to heal mine quicker than anything else.

Farren, I wouldn't give up on your wrap just yet.  We have a sleepywrap and dh is MUCH smaller than me and wears it, I do sometimes have to wash it to get it back into good tight shape sometimes though.  I know when I first used mine with my youngest dd (I had only used ring slings before) it took a while to learn to tie it tight enough.  Let us know how it turns out.

ocelotmom, great idea!

Bobbi, I totally agree.love.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#182 of 186 Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sasha, lol.gif! I'm sure you'll have many great tales to tell them when they're older! winky.gif I hope your BFing issues work out soon and the boys get that "a-ha!" moment. hug.gif

Kim, hug.gif. That reminds me of my feelings after my first birth. greensad.gif I would go so far as to say I had/have PTSD from that birth and I know with a traumatic birth (including ones that just go so far awry from your plans and visions for them) that that's not unusual at all. There are almost certainly some tribes here with other mamas who will totally get it if you want to talk. hug.gif

Farren, a wrap is an awesome carrier because it's basically a one-size-fits-all. You really do have to wrap them snuggly to start with, though, because they do loosen up over time (just in wearing, even). As well, just basic moving around will allow shifting in any carrie if it's not tied tight enough. Stretchies are quite often tied too loose to start with, so that's probably the problem. When I'm showing mamas how to use them, I generally have them pre-tie it (which is standard for a stretchy wrap) while pulling it snug enough that there's no obvious slack in the whole thing. Using *only* the material's stretch to have room for baby gives you the most support possible. Hope that makes sense!

Julie, so sorry about the thrush! greensad.gif I hope you feel better soon!

Lochia: Someone asked about clear or mucousy... Mine varies between clearish to light bleeding now. The clearish discharge is a weird thing that's normal in lochia, afaik. For me, it's not generally mucousy, though.

Eliana is continuing to have at least somewhat mucousy stools. greensad.gif She's more fussy, too, and will sometimes end up burping well after a feeding. She threw up (everything) last night just as we walked in to a restaurant. It's NOT a good thing when the first sign the baby threw up is the droplets on the *floor*. redface.gif Thankfully I had a change of clothes and just enough receiving blankets and burp cloths to clean everything with... I was wishing I had a new carseat, too, though! redface.gif She snuggled on DH after that and slept through the entire meal.

She is so definitely growing and changing! Three weeks (plus, but I'm not counting!!) now. She looks around and really studies things and her head is getting so much more steady. I think I got a "real" smile earlier today when she was looking directly at me. We'll see if those continue. Judah started at about this age with "maybe" smiles that were later confirmed because he kept giving them. thumb.gif With him, the first for-sure BIG smiles were at 5 weeks, so I'm looking forward to that in the not-too-distant future with Eliana. It's hard to have her growing and changing so much.. I want her to stay a newborn! But I'm grateful to have so many wonderful things to look forward to, too.

We went to a Christmas tree farm yesterday and got her first Christmas tree. thumb.gif There was almost no one else there (no one, when we started) and it was nice to have some privacy in the middle of the field to nurse her. Had her in a mei tai and ended up turning her from tummy-to-tummy to a cradle hold *in* the mei tai (not exactly a standard position, but it worked!) so she could nurse. She was not at al interested in sitting up to eat. lol.gif

I'm guessing I do have overactive letdown with her continuing the habits of latching, sucking really fast and swallowing a ton, then letting all the milk dribble and seeming less interested even though she's clearly not finished. That doesn't help with the tummy troubles, either! Hopefully it'll settle down before too long.

Anyone else tried the Milkies Milk Saver things? I got one last week and am thrilled to be getting up to a couple of ounces of milk *without* pumping, just from my most-overactive side when she's feeding on the other. Who knows, maybe I'll have enough to actually give her a bottle to try someday. lol.gif I haven't been using it consistently, but it's very cool!

Gotta finish off the tree, clean up all the ornament boxes, and get to bed... all before she wakes up. And all I really want to do is sleeping.gif....

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#183 of 186 Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lochia-the mucousy thing went away. I guess mucous was not a good term. MOre like ewcm. But it's all stopped now.

I have the Milk Saver thing. Caught 3.5 oz. the first time I used it and only about .5 oz at most since. I think my supply might be dipping. Molly hasn't been eating as much with her upset tummy from dairy. I'm working on pumping to build it back up.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#184 of 186 Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Baby stuff is well here.  Computer time continues to be nak time too, so I don't post much.  But, people, tell me that I don't have my period already!  Rachel is not a month old but the lochia was gone, so what is this?

#185 of 186 Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post

Baby stuff is well here.  Computer time continues to be nak time too, so I don't post much.  But, people, tell me that I don't have my period already!  Rachel is not a month old but the lochia was gone, so what is this?

Periods have been known to happen that early, but anything before 56 days is generally considered postpartum bleeding, and it is possible for it to go away entirely and then return for a bit, without it actually indicating a return of fertility. So hopefully that's it!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#186 of 186 Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post

Periods have been known to happen that early, but anything before 56 days is generally considered postpartum bleeding, and it is possible for it to go away entirely and then return for a bit, without it actually indicating a return of fertility. So hopefully that's it!

Okay, it stopped, so clearly not a period.  But, did that ever throw me for a loop this morning! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page