Postpartum chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Now that it's officially November. and quite a few of us have had babies, it seems time for this!

Eira is growth spurting and wanting to be nursed constantly, and I have the diapers to prove it. Since we don't have hot water hooked up to the washing machine and no dryer, diaper laundry is a bit of a process, and I was perfectly happy only doing it every 2-3 days. Oh well! I can't wait until she grows into her larger diapers, of which we have a more than adequate supply. I have just barely enough of the newborn size to keep up (and not quite enough covers), since it doesn't seem worth investing much in something that's likely to last for two months tops. But I think I'm gonna be searching around for another 3 or 4 newborn covers.

At the same time, I love the tiny peanut stage, and I wish she could stay this small, maybe not forever, but for a good long time. It's so adorable! I love little newborn nurseyfaces and her skinny litle long legs! Or maybe gain a pound or two so she'll fit into newborn clothing a bit better and then stay that size for a while. I know off-the-shoulder is in right now, but it just doesn't work well on a tiny baby.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#2 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great idea ocelotmom. I was wondering if there is usually something like this towards the end of a DDC's month or not.

The past week has been a roller coaster for us but is ending up being a GREAT week. Talked with NICU today and both of the boys are off of everything. No IV, no feeding tube nothing! So I am hoping/praying that they will both be home by this time next week at the latest.

ocelotmom, my hat goes off to you. I plan on using disposable the first month after the boys come home. I would LOVE to be able to claim that I am only doing it because my newborn diapers are too big for the twins, but I have sort of been planning on doing it all along...

So how is everyone feeling physically? To be honest at 3 weeks postpartum I feel pretty great. Other than my legs... My legs are sooo sore by the end of the day I feel like I have ran a marathon and I am still getting the occasional leg/foot cramp. Will be super glad when this passes.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#3 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Really quick- is it normal for baby to forcefully vomit mucous the first day? We've had two spells of this already.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 PM

eeek, I dont know... mine never did, but all of mine have been hospital births where they suctioned them rather vigorously.

Have you called your midwife yet? I would start by calling her for sure, if it is nothing then GREAT but I would still call, just in case.

Please post back when you find out something.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
#5 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Really quick- is it normal for baby to forcefully vomit mucous the first day? We've had two spells of this already.
I wouldn't say it was forceful, but mine was definitely spitting up mucus. I've been keeping an eye out for signs of dairy sensitivity since DD1 had it, but haven't really seen anything like what I saw with DD1.

I decided it was just because she didn't get suctioned at birth. Though I'm not certain DD1 did either, now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post
The past week has been a roller coaster for us but is ending up being a GREAT week. Talked with NICU today and both of the boys are off of everything. No IV, no feeding tube nothing! So I am hoping/praying that they will both be home by this time next week at the latest.
That's great to hear

Quote:
ocelotmom, my hat goes off to you. I plan on using disposable the first month after the boys come home. I would LOVE to be able to claim that I am only doing it because my newborn diapers are too big for the twins, but I have sort of been planning on doing it all along...
We're using disposables about a quarter of the time (usually at night, or when I run out of covers). I just hate using them when they're in the pooping frequently stage!

Quote:
So how is everyone feeling physically? To be honest at 3 weeks postpartum I feel pretty great. Other than my legs... My legs are sooo sore by the end of the day I feel like I have ran a marathon and I am still getting the occasional leg/foot cramp. Will be super glad when this passes.
I'm fine now, though I haven't actually done anything even vaguely resembling exercise (except laundry) since the birth, so I haven't exactly been testing myself.

The day after the birth (before I got sick) I was tempted to try going out for a bike ride. Decided against it because the weather wasn't cooperating and I wasn't sure how much Advil was influencing my decision. Now I think it would be fine, though.

#6 of 186 Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Mw says it's fine. Waiting for my anxiety from pregnancy to go away. House guests are not helping and dh is run down from going all day and both of us not really sleeping.

I need to write up my birth story tonight. . And tomorrow I'm going to encapsulate my placenta.

I feel a lot better than after my other 4 births. Hardly sore or raw down there, not faintish unless I push myself, bleeding is doing well. My nipples are sore already, though. My milk already seems to be coming in. My guts feel like they're going to fall out, so I'm busting out the belly binder tomorrow.

Emotionally I'm still shocked at the speed of labor and I was not expecting her so soon. I barely started getting used to the idea of being pregnant when I went into labor! I'm a little in shock. It feels so strange having her here already-I was unprepared and wanted to do another belly cast. I even told my toddler she could paint my belly yesterday and then we forgot. I feel bad now.

#7 of 186 Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

kitty, if she wasn't suctioned at birth, it's totally normal. My DS3 was the first (and only so far) that I refused suctioning for. He didn't nurse much his first night and then threw up liquid/mucous. After that, he ate much better! I had read that they'd expel it on their own but was still a little shocked by that middle-of-the-night happening!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#8 of 186 Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks, Heather! She wasn't suctioned so I bet that's it.

She ate all night long. And I think getting up and folding/washing laundry was too much this morning. I feel weak and dizzy now and passed two biggish clots. But my uterus is hard and contracted down. I just checked. Looks like more bed time for me.

#9 of 186 Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

This morning, I tried on a pair of maternity jeans that I bought around 14 weeks. They'd been a little on the tight side at that point, and I think I managed to wear them maybe 3 times while actually pregnant. They fit great now, and they're the type without the big belly panel, so I expect I'll wear them for a while.

I paired them with one of my favorite shirts, which it's actually warm enough to wear today.

So, of course, an hour later Eira had a poop explosion, and poop got all over both the pants and shirt. Go figure.

But I'm happy about this! 1. Because big healthy breastfed poop means she's taking stuff in. Her nighttime poop was very small, and on the greenish side, which worried me a bit since I'm a bit worried about her weight gain. But this one was very normal, and that's reassuring. And 2. It motivated me to try on a pair of pre-pregnancy pants, and they fit reasonably well!

Now I just need to be able to put her down for a while so that I can clean the kids' room and the hellhole that is the spare bedroom, as my mom is coming to visit today, possibly even arriving in the next few hours (we haven't exactly been concentrating our improvement efforts there, and it was the room that was in the worst shape to begin with. Ugh, it's awful. I feel bad putting my mom there!). She doesn't like the sling, and tolerates being put down only for a short time unless she's swaddled. So she's swaddled. I hate doing that, because it feels like keeping her asleep artificially and I want to be sure she's getting what she needs. But I really need a few hours to get things done today! Including laundry apparently, which I'd hoped to skip today, but after the poop incident I don't think I'll be able to.

Oh, and DH is out of town for the weekend. Great. At least I have absolutely fabulous leftovers I can reheat for dinner without them tasting like leftovers. EDIT: ARG, nevermind about that! Seems someone ate 75% of it. I swear we had a large tupperware full of it last night. *sigh*

#10 of 186 Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Kitty I am so glad to hear all is well. I wondered if it was because of not being suctioned but had no experience to base it off of.

ocelotmom congrats on fitting into the pre-pregnancy pants! Sorry that you got poo on your first pair. I remember about a week after I had my first baby I had finally got up and fully dressed and groomed for the first time since having her and sure enough poop explosion all up and down. I laugh about it now but at the time it was very discouraging.

My doctor cut my blood pressure medication down by half and now my legs are starting to swell again if I walk and stuff... Is that normal and it will line itself out after a few days like it did before or is that something I should call about?

Also I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a cough! Calling the NICU and seeing what they say... the boys were supposed to come home early this week... I dont know what this will mean as far as that plan goes. I am SO upset that I got sick. This is very very sooo not a good time to get a virus.

#11 of 186 Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Sasha-what horrible timing! I hope you feel better and they can come home. I don't know about the swelling. I would definitely talk to your doctor about that.

I wish I still felt as good as I did the day after birth! I've felt beat yesterday and today. I'm struggling to sleep and keep my blood sugar up. But other than muscle aches, my bum is not sore at all like when my other kids were born! I dried my placenta today and need to put it in the capsules. I felt bad cutting & cooking it like I was hurting a friend.

Last nightvwas hard. I had been so weak from low blood sugar and not really sleeping since a short nap Wednesday afternoon. My blood loss was minimal and I'm barely bleeding at all, but my anxiety was killing me over a late pph fear. Then baby was awake almost all night. She was fussing and unhappy with everything. She hasn't had that many wet dipes so I had a little panic attack that my milk/colostrum wasn't coming in and she was starving and how I had failed. I was terrified. And then I saw stuff leak out of my boob and felt a little better. She's been swallowing and gulping today and had a huge pee earlier, so I'm feeling a little better.

Dh got up and took over with Molly at 3am. I was so frustrated and still hadn't slept for more than a 10 minute stretch since Tuesday night. He got her to poop and fall asleep and I took back over at 4am. I felt like a terrible mother. When dh woke up to grab her I was upset and said something about her fussing 4 hours straight and how I don't care anymore. Then I cried because that wasn't true and it was a terrible thing to say. It looks like ppd/anxiety is already kicking in for me full force.

#12 of 186 Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Sorry for eavesdropping, ladies. But I just wanted to give you all a big , and say that I guess it's nice to remember that all of our troubles don't magically disappear once we have our babies, do they? Makes me feel maybe 10% better about still being pregnant!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#13 of 186 Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Kitty that does sound rough. Hopefully in a few days after a little more sleep you will start to feel a little better. I am anxious to see how paranoid I will be when the boys finally come home, although they are going to be a month old it will feel like a newborn. At the hospital yesterday they had Connor in a swing and I kept stopping the swing to check his breathing the nurses thought I was nuts because you know... they are on heart and oxygen monitors... but still you cant fight those protective mommy hormones.

Julie, hang in there, your almost done! Looking forward for all of us to be moved over to our little postpartum wing together.

#14 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else's baby have a tendency to poop just when they're falling asleep? I never know quite what to do when that happens. Waking her up for a (much hated) diaper change seems to just be a cycle, but I can't just leave her like that all night either.

I'll be glad when she grows out of this stage.

In other news, I think her two week growth spurt went entirely towards improving her bladder capacity, because she isn't really any bigger, but she's peeing larger quantities. I've started sticking an insert inside her prefolds, which were perfectly adequate up until now. They're the homemade ones, and are thinner than normal bought prefolds, which has been wonderful - our "real" preemie prefolds seem entirely too bulky. Even with the insert, the homemade ones are still less bulky. But they're starting to not do it in terms of absorbancy.

My housemate found a boppy at a garage sale and asked if I wanted it. I thought she meant a breastfeeding pillow, but it's more like a big old chair cushion - there's some boppy-like definition around the edges, but the middle is all filled in. Looking at their website, I'd guess it's the newborn lounger. Oh well. I suppose it will be useful for something. At the very last, DD1 loves sitting on it.

I went out for a walk today, and finally managed to convinced Eira that she's willing to tolerate the sling. It's been frustrating - the other two did well with it right away, but E's just cried every time I tried. Today I managed to get her up high enough that the ever-so-tempting boobie smell wasn't right there, and I think that did the trick. I never really figured out sling-nursing with the other two. Maybe I need to work on that more this time.

#15 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 AM

Subbing!

We're still in the hospital, and probably will be until Monday. I was feeling great this morning, but overdid and then didn't take/get meds on time because I was napping, so had some horrible pain late this afternoon. The good news is I'm no longer tied to any of the machines and things. It's so nice to be unfetterd! And Paige is finally waking up enough to not just latch, but suck. She still falls asleep quickly, and we've given her a couple tsp of donated milk along with expressed clostrum.

Time for my next round of meds and a little sleep!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#16 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Karen- take it easy! I hope the hospital stay is going well.

Ocelotmom- yes, mine does, too. I hate to wake her but you can't leave it, either.

Molly's umbilical cord is herniated and already falling off. It looks fairly gross and i've been using alcohol and bacitracin so it doesn't get infected. I need to make her a doctor appointment tomorrow and figure out getting a birth certificate.

My milk's coming in and my boobs are huge, tingly, and painful. I have a horrible backache and hot chills & hot sweats all night. I think it was just from my milk coming in.

#17 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I made it to the other side! Will update later, it was a long day.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#18 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

dont hesitate to show pictures..you know, those of us without yet babies dont mind.

i'm so happy for all of you mama's BTW...even if PP is all roses and confetti... its what we have all been waiting So long for.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#19 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Another still pregnant mama crashing on the pp thread.

Hang in there! The newborn stage is so hard sometimes, but looking back, it goes so fast. Try to rest and remember that the house can be cleaned later. And I agree with Fern, we need some pictures. That should be top priority.
my kidlets and me likes this.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#20 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM

ocelotmom, Eira sounds like she is growing great hopefully the timing of her poops will get a little better in the next few days. Good job also on going out for a walk. It is hard to convince yourself to do it but man it makes you heal sooo much faster. It also seems to help just to get a change of scenery and fresh air.

Karen, glad to hear you are off all the "stuff" they put on you at the hospital. I hated when I had to have an IV with some of my births because I never felt really comfortable until everything was out of me and off of me, and the IV seems to always be the last thing to go.

Kitty, I hear you about super huge tingly boobs. My dh took a few pictures of me nursing the boys the other day and when I saw them I was like "ummm you must have taken this at a weird angle cause there is no way my boobs are that big" dh just smirked and said "oh yes they are" with a big grin afterwards. Men you got to love them.
Hope Molly's appointment tomorrow goes well.

Stitches, welcome to postpartum.

Fern, you will be here soon.

Lisalee, I agree with you and Fern I love looking at everyone's baby pictures.

AFM: So the NICU said I should be alright coming to see the boys as long as I practiced good hand washing protocol and wore a mask. I am not running a fever or anything, and they are receiving breastmilk...
But ended up not really mattering anyway because our van tore up again. Something to do with the alternator.... So dh is taking to to get fixed tomorrow morning and if it is going to take a while... well I dont even want to think about waiting that long to go see my boys. Stupid van.

#21 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 PM

nak
congrats to all the pp mamas

afm: lots of trauma down there... can't really be upright or things swell more ...just wanted a few minutes of computer time to feel 'normal.'

She's worth it though Doing great, nursing well, cluster feeding before bed and letting me sleep 4hr stretches. I'm so in love!

ok - back to bed

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#22 of 186 Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 PM

NortheastSuperstar- have you tried witch hazel or ice packs? I hope it stops swelling soon! I haven't had any swelling or about any pain down there this time but today it feels weird and tingly inside (tmi!). It's very odd.

Sasha-I'm sorry about your van. I hope it gets fixed asap!

I've been trying to use the belly binder but it's just plain uncomfortable and another layer between me and baby, so I've given up. Anyone else try?

#23 of 186 Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
NortheastSuperstar- have you tried witch hazel or ice packs? I hope it stops swelling soon!
Yeah - I've got it all. Chalk it up to four hours of pushing and a vacuum extractor up there. It'll be time that ultimately heals. Little by little it's getting better, though.

Here's a pic: Charlotte Kate, 7lbs 8oz, 19.5" born 11/2 at 4:14am, 37w6d

NortheastSuperstar
#24 of 186 Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Adorable!

I need to figure out how to get baby on our insurance- I never got a "proof of pregnancy" before I had her! This state makes everything so complicated. But I can't take her to the doctor until I get it so I can't get a birth certificate until after that. So many hoops.

#25 of 186 Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Adorable!

I need to figure out how to get baby on our insurance- I never got a "proof of pregnancy" before I had her! This state makes everything so complicated. But I can't take her to the doctor until I get it so I can't get a birth certificate until after that. So many hoops.
Can the doctor see her with her insurance pending? Ours just go ahead and see the baby and wait for the insurance number to come through.

NortheastSuperstar
#26 of 186 Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Ours will not-it's insane with medicaid here. I talked to the county clerk and they said an affidavit from someone besides dh or I will work. Thank goodness! Gonna do that tomorrow maybe?

#27 of 186 Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Northeast Superstar-I'm in the sore bottoms club too. Had a 2nd degree tear and stitches, although I'm not complaining too much since I had a 3rd degree last time so in theory this one should heal quicker. Frozen pads are bliss!

So far Clara is pretty easy going, although she's been spitting up a lot of mucus. DD1 was heavily suctioned, but none for this one so this is new to me. She's nursing well. I can't get over how chubby she is! No wonder my belly was so big

Waiting for the m/w to do a home visit today. My 2.5 year old just loves her baby sister, I'm so happy about that. She spent an hour today dragging out all the baby toys to share with baby, and wants to feed her and hug her and is being a total cutie.

#28 of 186 Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 AM

okay mamas, i'm ready to join up with this thread...  baby is about 40 hrs old now.

i HURT.  i made the mistake of letting my painkillers wear off in the name of sleep, and i woke up in so much pain my legs are shaking (2nd degree labial tear and 12 stitches).  that is officially the worst injury i've had in my life.  recovery from my last 2 births (no tearing) was quick and easy, and my first born gave me a 1st degree tear with 2 stitches nearly 9 years ago, and i remember what a PITA that was.  this is way worse.  ouch, ouch, ouch.  i have been alternating numbing antibacterial spray with hydrocortisone cream (and witch hazel diluted in the peri-bottle), but what i really need is epifoam.  calling the OB's office in the morning to see if they can call some in for me.  this sucks.  right now i'm sitting on a crotchsicle and the boppy, waiting for this pill to kick in so i can go back to bed.

my afterbirth pains are significantly better now, but still a little worse than my worst menstrual cramps.  my fundus is at about a 16 wk height now, so that's good!

baby is starting to come out of her post-birth coma, and my milk is coming in.  i'm loving watching hubby's reaction to my expanding rack.  i was bobbing them up and down saying "they're baaaaack."  LMAO (wtf is up with the smileys??)

i have my 2 day pp home visit tomorrow, and baby has her PKU too (at the ped's).

*YAWN*  okay, going to rest now.

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#29 of 186 Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM

biglaugh.gif Dh is very impressed with my rack, too. It's hilarious to see his eyes bulge out of his head.

Do you have any ice packs for your bottom? I've never torn but my 4th came out posterior with a 14.75" head that made me feel like my pelvic bones and perineum were in pieces for months.  

Anyone else already thinking about dtd? My recovery was so fast this time that i've been thinking about it since the day after i gave birth. I know I should wait until I stop bleeding but have never...resumed until 6+ weeks pp before, so this is new to me.

And thank freaking goodness for the body swelling going down-and the vulvar variscocities/swelling. Seriously.  And who knew what a relief it is to be able to pee more than a dribble and be able to go *all night* without peeing?

#30 of 186 Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM

DH hasn't commented on my rack but it makes MY eyes bug out every time I pass a mirror.  I've got Pam Anderson boobs!

My bottom is feelng significantly better now, i have a 2nd degree tear, but it feels like nothing compared to the bad 3rd degree I had last time.  The only thing that is bothering me is the stitches pulling.  Last time around was really bad, so I feel fortunate now and have much sympathy for anyone with a sore crotch.

Michelle have you tried just sitting in a tub with warm water?  Personally I find after the first few days that feels better than ice.  I've been using a little epsom salt but there are herbal baths you can do too, sea salt, comfrey etc.  Calendula tincture in the peri bottle works really well for me too, and I've been doing  Arnica and advil.  Hope things start feeling better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page