Where is my freakin' cervix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know where it should be. I used a cervical cap so I know where it should be. But it's not there. Does it move? I should find something even if I am dialated right?

DH is Ricky, dd born 10/06 and due 11/26/2010 !
#2 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can attest to the fact that it DOES move! Up, down, front, back, etc. If you're dialated it should be easier to find the os (because it's bigger) and if it's effaced it might be even hard to find because it blends into the uterus more. Fully effaced would have it "paper thin" and would definitely make it harder to find but that's generally achieved during active labor.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Mine is impossible for me to find right now---although I was assured today by my midwife that it does still exist. Apparently the baby's head is so darn low, it's impossible for my short fingers to reach around and get to it. But it's still there.

Also, as you get closer to the end, the cervix tends to move back and high up---which if you have small hands, makes it near impossible to reach, no matter how deeply you're squatting!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#4 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Ok, I had no idea the moving back and up is normal for near the end. I have been thinking it moves forward for labor. Am I nuts?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ah. Okay. That makes me feel better. First baby I was 4 cm dialated and effaced fir three weeks before baby came. He is pretty low right now so maybe that's why I can't find it.

#6 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Ok, I had no idea the moving back and up is normal for near the end. I have been thinking it moves forward for labor. Am I nuts?

I was under the impression of the same thing... I can remember my midwife last time telling me that I wasn't ready yet, that my cervix was still too high up and that it just wasn't favorable. I should have listened to her, my induction was definitely not the most successful induction.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#7 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Woops---yeah, it does move forward. I was up REALLY late (for me)!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#8 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Yes - hate the incredibly moving cervix. Mine was very easy to find the other day, giving me hope that something was going on. Now I can barely reach it.
#9 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Oliversmommy, the weird thing is mine HAS gone back behind baby's head while it was nice and low and forward a few weeks ago. Oh, well. I know once it moves forward it won't be long before we have a baby. Hoping that's sooner than later.

#10 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Well, mine was forward again this morning. I just hope it stays there.
#11 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Ellen, that sounds awfully positive to me! Hope it stays put and labor comes soon!

#12 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I still haven't found it but feel better about it.

#13 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Ellen, that sounds awfully positive to me! Hope it stays put and labor comes soon!
It's gone again. I'd like to say that I'm just going to stop checking, but that would be such a lie.
#14 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM

ddcc...

Repeat after me "cervical position/dilation/ripening has no bearing on when you will go into labour". Seriously.

For my last two, the MW had to reach WAAAAYYYY up to find the cervix which was not ripe and not effaced and babe was not engaged. They were both born vaginally within the next 8 hours.

Seriously. Don't let ANYONE stress you out about the position/condition of your cerivx
Yuba_River likes this.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page