What are you doing to keep busy/distracted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For all of us still pregnant, not in labor, counting down the days/weeks/hours mamas...how are you spending your time? Besides stalking all the new baby threads and checking your cervix and drinking RRL tea of course

I'm trying to keep myself occupied as I'm 38 weeks and have been feeling "early vibes" this whole pregnancy, but don't think it will be *too* soon. I just finished crocheting a toddler blanket for my son. That I started less than a week ago! It's like I've been on this crocheting rampage. I guess there's worse ways to spend my time! I'm also obsessed with getting stupid little things done around the house. Like reorganizing the living room so the tree we put up for the holidays will fit and be toddler safe. I guess it's my way of nesting now since I already did all my baby stuff organizing and cleaning weeks ago

But seriously, all this crocheting has my hand cramped and I am going to run out of things to organize in the house. Give me some ideas on how to keep busy in the last stretch before baby comes!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Wow - I'm impressed that you crocheted the blanket so quickly! I have the opposite problem - I don't have enough time, between school/preschool dropoffs and pickups and after school activities, to just sit and knit. My mom's here this week, which means way less housework for me, but we end up just sitting and chatting.

I guess the upside to all this activity is that I'm not doing any counting down yet - at least not until my due date. Then all bets are off.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#3 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
For all of us still pregnant, not in labor, counting down the days/weeks/hours mamas...how are you spending your time? Besides stalking all the new baby threads and checking your cervix and drinking RRL tea of course
Darn! Those 3 things have pretty much been my main activities the last week. I need a good project or long term distraction too. In a crazy moment yesterday I decided that if I was still pregnant on Thanksgiving I should do the local 5k Turkey Trot, so obviously, I decided I should run the course. My cramped up, pregnant shuffle lasted 48 minutes...not a course record. I realized that training for a 5k may not be the best distraction. Any other ideas out there?

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#4 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 AM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Hmm... cleaning toilets? Organizing my spice drawer? I've been knitting a lot, have a few little sewing projects to work on. Online WAY to much, ...because you know, if I check the internet every 5 minutes then time will go much faster

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#6 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 AM

Yeah, I am just doing the frantic nesting stuff. Cooking extra meals and freezing them, doing some baking, made some curtains for the livingroom, dyed and appliqued a few nb onesies, repeated vacuuming, re-organized my closet... I can't even tell you how many times I've re-organized the baby's dresser.

I'm also still planning on sewing a (super easy) baby quilt, family xmas stockings, and a tiny faux fur hoodie vest. Hahaha! We will see how far I get with that, but hopefully it keeps me busy.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#7 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Well, I've almost finished cross-stitching her Christmas stocking that I never thought I'd even get half-way done with. Maybe she's waiting for the finished project? A couple weeks I caught myself putting everything on hold -like if I planned it then she would come . Um, didn't work. So, I've really just been trying to keep up my regular routine with kids and cooking and all that stuff. I'm impressed with those of you who are still putting things INTO the freezer. I've been taking stuff OUT at this point.
#8 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm 37.5 weeks and already going nuts! Last time I was among the first in my DDC to have my baby, so I'm feeling very left out this time around.

I just want to get through the next week or so (my buying club pick-up is tomorrow, our housecleaner is coming on Tuesday, we're still waiting for the birthtub, and my midwife out of town most of next week) and then anytime after that is fine with me.

I had a huge to-do list that I've been slowly whittling down. The problem now is that the few things left on it are things I need/want to do after DS goes to bed (wrapping Xmas presents and reorganizing some photo albums) but now I'm so tired when I lay down with him at night that I end up just staying there! Mostly I guess I'm just trying to get a meal on the table every night and hanging out with DS.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#9 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM

My EDD is Monday..but I was so sure I would have an early babe, so im kind of boggled and feel more impatient I think because of it... that said, I have 3 other children and a busy home, so its not like my days are boring there is always something to do..something to tidy up (way too many somethings) and and im homeschooling my 2 eldest. im also trying to knit things (for myself, christmas gifts, things for baby) and have naps and nice long HOT baths (because i know those will be few & far in between once babe comes)
and now that im feeling betterish im enjoying being outside in the autumny weather.. though today is very rainy.. its going to be a baking/knitting day i think.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#10 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know, but I need more distraction. I'm also 37.5 wks and the wait is killing me. I also had "early vibes" though none of mine have been early so far.

I've been cleaning, cleaning & cleaning, but somehow I keep stretching the "necessities" - this morning I'm obsessing about painting the bedrooms.

Holiday stuff has been a good distraction. I know I need to have almost all of it done before baby comes, so that's a good thing.

But now with this itchy crotch, I feel like I can't even try to get labor going.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#11 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am definitely in need of distraction! Today has worked but the last couple of days I've been torturing myself, it seems.

Because we had big, important events today AND I was showing "maybe" pre-labor signs, we started worrying about what we'd change/drop/need to do if baby were coming, and my whole focus changed to, "Can we make it past X, Y, and Z?" rather than, "Baby might come in a week or two but we've got lots to do before then!"

So I need to focus on distraction... Like, tomorrow is church which should be nice and there should be plenty of people to talk to about when baby *might* come. (Though I never let on anything potentially exciting - just that "probably in the next 1-2 weeks" is a likely case!) Then we'll probably go to lunch with family/friends as always and THEN we're planning to go out to a local farm for fall festivities. We like to go every year especially when it's cool and the weather is gorgeous right now! I already bought tickets so I want to use them before baby comes.

Monday is our monthly babywearing meeting, and Monday night some moms from one of our homeschooling groups are going out to paint pottery. I figured that would be a nice outing before the baby comes, too.

Tuesday my midwife comes!

Wednesday I see my chiro again, which should maybe help push things along.

If I'm up to it on Thursday, we'll go on a field trip with the homeschool group to a museum we've never been to. I'm sure the kids will love it.

Friday I intend to go into labor and give birth sometime on Saturday.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#12 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM

We're actually hitting the point where our schedule picks up again. Monday to the dr. Tues and Thurs dh will be at the school till late helping with basketball games (uh, and not having phone service), Wed is Cub Scouts. So, yeah, I also vote for relaxing on Friday and going into labor that night.

Today was a good day for distraction. We went to lunch, took ds to a birthday party, hair cut for dd, and finished up some Christmas shopping for my nieces. I had to take a nap when we got back. It's tiring keeping busy.
#13 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 AM

I'm still just happy to not be working, and able to nurse my round ligament pain by lying on the couch whenever I need to.

My hospital bag still isn't packed completely, which I think is a way of me not letting myself get impatient. Tomorrow I'm 39 weeks though, so I think I'd better get it packed by early next week.

Pretty much everything is ready to go. I'm trying to stay rested and healthy so that no day is a "bad" day to go into labor. That's easier said than done though, because I haven't been sleeping great lately.

I'm trying to finish the baby blanket I started 12 years ago when I was pregnant with dd. My mom helped me get going, and now I'm like the kid who got going on the bike without training wheels. I'm almost done knitting the 288 rows of the repeating pattern, but have no idea how to cast off or start on the edging! So my goal for tonight and tomorrow is to get the last 10 or 12 rows finished so Monday I can go to the local knit shop and ask someone to show me how to finish this!

And as far as cleaning the house goes, our bedroom is clean, and the rest of the house is passable. I don't feel motivated to wear myself out cleaning when I know it's going to get dirty right away again.... I'm just not bored enough for that!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#14 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#15 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 AM

delete