venting-thanks in advance - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had my little due date celebration yesterday! Obviously still pregnant so whatever!!! Anyway I got a phone call this morning from my sister. Her son has the mumps! We should be fine since it has been about 5 days since we have seen them and the mumps is contagious for 1-2 days before symptoms started(yesterday in his case). So I think we should be fine. My biggest concern is my sister and my mother were both supposed to be at my home birth and are acting upset that I would even consider not having them there. My sister is obviously exposed to it, and my mother has been baby sitting my nephew and probably will be most of this week due to his inability to go to school or daycare and both my sister and her husband are realtors who work a heavy work schedule. Also we chose not to vaccinate our children, our oldest was vaxed till he was 5 and our second was vaxed till he was 6 months when we learned that the seizures I suffered as a child were all within 24 hours of receiving vaccinations. So I have 4 children who could get the mumps, although my nephew was vaxed against it all, boosters at 5 yrs even and he still got it at age 7, so who knows. I am worried about having kiddos with the mumps and trying to take care of a newborn. Now I am worried about counting on my mothers help with the older kids too, especially since she will be in direct contact with him this whole next week! What to do, what to do? Obviously it may be a mute point as this child apparently wants to stay in utero till graduation! What would you do in my shoes? My family already thinks I am weird b/c we don't vax, have home births, etc etc, but they are supportive and my sisters(I have 2) really want to see this child being born, they have missed the last 5 due to fast labors, being out of state and us living 8 hours away when one was born!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#2 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Hmmmm... Is it possible for your mom to go to her doc to get her titres done to see if she is immune? I wouldn't chance having your sister around unless I knew she was immune-my friend's children just had mumps and they were pretty uncomfortable! But now they have lifelong immunity!!!!!!! (I'm a former ER/vaccine nurse who does not vaccinate my kids)

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#3 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

If I know anything about my mother asking her to do that would result in a long list of complaint followed with guilt! I do not know if any of my sisters or I am immune, since we were all vaccinated as kids. I do know that after having titers done on myself I am not immune to much except pertussis and chicken pox, the things I myself actually had as a child. So Arg! Thanks for the advice on that, and the support!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Don't let them lay a guilt trip on you! They have no right to act upset. You need to make sure you have a safe and healthy birth, and don't need any drama right now!! Dealing with kids with mumps and a newborn does not sound like fun.
#5 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 AM

I don't blame you, either. I don't think I'd want them there even if all the kids had been vacc'd - sick newborn sucks (btdt) and you don't want that at all. Even if they're immune, they can still carry virus on their clothes/skin to you, your kids, and the new babe. (That's how I got chicken pox at age 20 - from a friend whose toddler brother/sister had it. I didn't go anywhere near them.)

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
#6 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What awful timing! I agree with the PP, don't feel guilty.

Jeez, if I wasn't so close to giving birth, I'd ask where you live so I might consider getting the mumps for us.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#7 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Don't let them lay a guilt trip on you! They have no right to act upset. You need to make sure you have a safe and healthy birth, and don't need any drama right now!! Dealing with kids with mumps and a newborn does not sound like fun.
i agree.
and though it would be unfortunate not to have the help you were hoping for i would say you should follow your intuition on this one..

(((Hug)))

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM

do you have others who can help? Maybe hire a doula or post partum doula. I wouldnt even consider exposing my newborn to mumps and vaxing isnt even an issue since baby wouldnt get mmr anyway for years. Obviously you dont want sick older kids, but I even have it as part of my birth plan that if anyone is sick they dont come to the birth or to visit until they are well for a few days! Anticipating a winter birth I sort of thought it would be swine flu and regular flu drama and all that... i guess whooping cough is making enough money for gov and pharmaceuticals they dont need to hype up flu this year? or is it just not even time yet. I wasnt expecting mumps though..

anyway just worry about yourself and your newborn and make sure you ahve enough support. Its understandable they WANT to be there and follow the plans you had, but baby and your needs come before what others want, im sure they will understand that
#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I had exactly the same thought about exposing the kids! If I wasn't overdue and knowing I would have a newborn to worry about, I would have them over there licking their cousin! I do love the guilt thing though! Every decision I make 'they' seem to see as a judgement against there own decisions! I cannot wrap my head around that logic even know after being a momma for 11 yrs. Oh well, guess I am just crazy! I do agree that not having the help is better than worrying about the kids getting sick, but I know that I will be royally guilt tripped if I do not allow them around the baby! So in one day I went from being ready to have this kiddo to hoping he/she will wait till next week! How is that for turning the tables on patience! Thanks again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page