HELP---I need advice---NOW!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so here's what's going on.  I'm 37w5d today.  I've had platelet issues since they checked at 30 weeks or so.  They were at 120 something then, and then had dropped to 115, back up to 120, but at last check (37w on the nose) they were at 112.  If I drop below 100, I risk out of homebirth entirely.  I've been taking alphalpha and nettles, but it's clearly not getting me over 130.

With DS1 I was at 1-2 cm, my water broke at 38w5d, 8 hours later I started contractions, 9 hours later he was born.  With DS2 at 38 on the nose I was 8 cm (though he was still pretty high), my midwife broke my water and 4 hours later he was born. 

We're thinking I should try to get labor going in the next day or two---mainly b/c if my platelets drop again, I'd have to go to the hospital and I really really really don't want a hospital birth.  I have no signs of bleeding, so I'm not really worried about that. 

I'm currently 3-4 cm, 85% effaced or so, and really low---she said easily at 0 station.  My MW swept my membranes a few hours ago, and we'll spend nap time having sex.  Hopefully that may kick things off.  Tomorrow morning, my MW is thinking we should try castor oil first, and then if needed she could come rupture water or alternatively, we could just have her come break my water. 

Do you think I should do the castor oil first?  Is it totally miserable?  I'm just worried about having horrible diarrhea while in labor....but is that the lesser of two interventions?  I've already done two labors with water broken, so I'm not really worried, and I'd have a a full 24 hours to be in labor before we'd start thinking of things like cohosh or pitocin....

I'm kind of leaning towards just having her come break my water, then going on a really long walk, nipple stim etc.

11-11-10 would be a great birthday.

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#2 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Sorry, I know nothing about castor oil from personal experience, but from what I've read, it depends on the person how horrible an experience it is.  Does your mw have a castor oil recipe that is a little gentler than taking it straight?  (This is what my mw said when I asked her about it)

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#3 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One of the advantages, in my mind, of castor oil over membrane rupture is that if it doesn't work or you see any indication *against* induction after taking it, you can just let it wear off and be done.  There's no time-clock started, in other words.  Most providers are going to have a time clock of some sort on once you have your waters broken - and we all know it's more challenging to labor that way (though most definitely not impossible!).  

I know that in the past I've said I would NOT do castor oil, but a low dose of it - to see how it goes - might be the lesser of two evils for you.  

I hope whatever you choose goes perfectly!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

One of the advantages, in my mind, of castor oil over membrane rupture is that if it doesn't work or you see any indication *against* induction after taking it, you can just let it wear off and be done.  There's no time-clock started, in other words.  Most providers are going to have a time clock of some sort on once you have your waters broken - and we all know it's more challenging to labor that way (though most definitely not impossible!).  

I know that in the past I've said I would NOT do castor oil, but a low dose of it - to see how it goes - might be the lesser of two evils for you.  

I hope whatever you choose goes perfectly!

i agree with heather on this one. i would give castor oil a good try first. in my experience taking lemon verbena with it is what really works.. not sure if you can get your hands on it..aroynd here all of the mw;s use it with the castor oil coctail. its a uterine stimulant and works REALLy well In my experience...

hope it all works out. hug2.gif

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I agree with Heather and Fern- try the castor oil first for sure.  Are you taking Vitamin K or anything? I would have as much sex as possible, even busting out the battery friends if need be, go for a long walk, bumpy car ride, whatever. I would do ROM as a last resort in case things don't pick up.  That also increases your chance of cord prolapse if baby isn't as firmly head down. 

goodvibes.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well, DH is on his way home right now for some serious afternoon fun times while the boys sleep winky.gif  Then we'll go for a long walk and see how it goes.  I'm definitely crampy, but I've been that way for a week or so (though not this strong). 

I'm just so worried about the CO.  I think where I've never labored with my water intact, it seems less scary (even though I know I'd have that looming clock).  I guess I feel like I could at the very least go for a run and it would certainly get this baby out---right?  I'm also wondering where I just had a course of antibiotics (didn't get a yeast infection though!) and I'm still in the midst of loose bowels that CO might be too much. 

UGH.  Platelets, why did you fail me?!?!  I totally didn't have this on my radar this morning since they had started to go back up a bit, so it's still a bit of a shock. 

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#7 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just did my Bishop's score based on my exam today.  I'm easily a 10 (of a possible 13) which means a good candidate for spontaneous labor or successful induction. That's making me feel a lot better.....no matter what we choose....

#8 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Also another option that is a little more gentle is rubbing the castor oil, mixed with 4 drops of lavender essential oil, on your belly, then applying a layer of plastic wrap, cover that with a hot towel-the hotter the better but do not burn yourself, and then covering the whole shebang with a dry towel to trap in the heat.  The heat forces the castor oil and lavender into your skin, lavender can intensify contractions also.  This might be something to try tonight before taking the castor oil in the morning?  Just an idea!  

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#9 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM

I did 2 ozs. of castor oil at 42 weeks with my first vaginal birth.  It was miserable, but I have heard that taking less is not quite so unpleasant-more in the tablespoon range and can be effective.  Harder to come by-acupuncture worked really well for 2nd vaginal birth-the needles went in, contractions started immediately.  Hope something works for you soon!

wave.gif
#10 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

So, after much thought, I think that castor oil really scares me.  It probably shouldn't but it does.  And I know that if I'm worried and afraid, it's clearly not a good thing for a labor.  My MW called and we chatted for a while.  She's going to come in the morning, hopefully we'll have my latest results by then.  She said for her, after a lot more research, she wouldn't be worried unless I drop below 50 in the platelet count, however the OB and Peri that she works with would still risk me out at 100.  SO....

We'll evaluate in the morning--but I'm feeling good all around.

#11 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Sounds like a great decision--no reason to do something that you are really worried about. Hopefully labor will kick in tonight!

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#12 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

So---I lost my mucus plug this morning--looks like labor is around the corner anyway!  YAY!!

#13 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Yay!  goodvibes.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page