insomnia, sick, and crabby....... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ladies-

I need help.  I can't sleep.  This whole week I have had one decent night and the rest have been about 3 hours of decent sleep.  I am so tired I want to crawl in a hole and die.  I don't get a chance to nap- partly from being so busy helping DH finish up with farm stuff for the fall and partly from having 3 little ones who can really only watch so much little bear while mama rests.  I am now sick.  I have the worst sore throat and ear ache that only feels better while I am drinking super hot tea and honey.  And I am crabby.  My baby just will not be still- although he did finally move to head down from frank breech yesterday.  But the baby wakes me up every night with his dance revolution.

My midwife thinks I am 39 weeks.  And I tell you what.  If I don't get some sleep before having this baby- I will not survive.  I am barely functioning now.  I need something to make me sleep.  Tonight I drank a huge mug of chamomille tea and honey and I still barely slept 3 hours. 

Any suggestions? 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 AM

I'm so sorry! hug.gif

I know meds are never a popular choice, but the only suggestion I have is for unisom, which I used for the first 8 months of my pregnancy to help with my nausea.  It also knocked me out, since it's a sleeping pill, but is safe in pregnancy.  I started out taking a whole pill, then went down to half and then a quarter as my morning sickness got better.  Then I was finally able to stop taking it altogether.  But it definitely made me sleep!  I just had to make sure I took it early, because you need a good 10-12 hours to let it wear off, or you'll just be more drowsy.  So I'd try to take it at 8 or 9.  You could probably start with 1/4 of a pill and see where that takes you.  

Or have you tried melatonin?  That's a more natural choice, and I think it's safe in pregnancy.

And is their any way your husband could watch the kids for you one morning so you could sleep in a little?  I know you have the farm and such, but it sounds like you may be headed for worse than sore throat and earache if you don't start taking care of yourself.

As far as the sore throat and earache, Vitamin C always helps my sore throats, and will help boost your immune system.  And I think there's an oil that you can warm and put in your ear for earaches, but I can't think of the name of it...?

Good luck! 

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#3 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Similar sleep probs here.  Talk to your mw about valerian.  I am taking Wish Garden Herbs sleep formula, which does not have valerian.  I say it relaxes me even though I still have frequent waking - mainly due to the discomfort of my body.  I may try the unisom tonight. 

#4 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 AM

I've been taking Unisom every once in a while when it gets really bad for me. It's the only thing that has knocked me out enough to be effective. I know it's not the most natural remedy, but it's what's worked for me.

Erica - Wife to Justin, mama to Anna (9.06), Ben (6.08) and Caden (11.10)

#5 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Or try a benadryl. That will clear up you sinuses and put you to sleep. It is on my doctors safe list.

DH is Ricky, dd born 10/06 and due 11/26/2010 !
#6 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 PM

I have an awful sinus headache / earache too. It doesn't always give immediate results, but I like to steam my sinuses by holding my face over a boiling kettle and inhaling the steam for as long as I can stand. I hold a towel over my head and shoulders to trap the steam. It may not necessarily lead directly to sleep but it might help with the earache and cold.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#7 of 7 Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions ladies.  Last night I slept for 11 hours!  It was amazing to wake up this morning feeling almost good!

FarrenSquare likes this.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page