Tadhg's Birth!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas--

It was so great knowing I had a cheering section yesterday while I was in labor!

So here's our story.  I had that crazy platelet issue, and after another draw on Wed, they were getting even lower.  My MW felt very confident that unless they dipped below 50, I wasn't really in any extra bleeding danger, but if I got below 100, her backup OB would risk me out of a HB.  We decided that we needed to get him out, and yesterday, 11/11, he was 37w6d (and I've had two in week 38, so I'm a fast cooker). 

Wednesday afternoon, DH came home, we DTD (knowing it was our last) and then went for a super long walk when the boys got up from their naps.  We came home, got the house in order, put the boys to bed, then tried to relax.  I ended up with massive diarrhea around midnight-and then had some good contractions, about 5 minutes apart, from 1:30 until 3.  When I got up in the morning, I had lost my mucus plug (streaks bright red and pink blood) followed by a few brown chunks.  All good signs. 

My MW showed up around 8:30, and we chatted for about an hour, and then she went to check me.  I had decided against castor oil b/c frankly, it freaks me out.  Even with a bunch of people saying it wasn't bad, I just didn't feel good about it....so when she checked me I was a good 5 cm (had been 4 on wed), super soft, and he was even lower than the day before (+1 yesterday morning).  She broke my water at about 10 and then we continued to hang out. DH and I went for a walk into town, stopped at the toy store to get presents from Tadhg to his brothers.  While I was in there, the owner said, "Wow, when are you due?"  I waited for my contraction to be over, gushing amniotic fluid into a cloth diaper and said, "Any minute now."  If only she knew!

We walked back home (it was a beautiful day, 55 degrees and sunny, perfect fall strolling weather) and around 2:30 or so I had to stop and focus during contractions.  We were still hanging out in between them, and people could still talk during them.  At about 3:30 my friend showed up to take photos.  And the day just kept going---beautiful light in our room, wonderful conversation between our MW, my amazing husband and our best friend. 

Finally at about 4:00 I started getting pretty serious, and I even had a little urge to push, but only through part of a contraction.  I knew I shouldn't push with all my might, since I didn't feel confident I was really ready.  So I spent the next hour trying to get comfy, relaxing and half pushing.  It was pretty weird.  At about 5:15 I said, "This hurts, I think there's still some cervix there."  So my MW checked me and said, "There's a little lip in the front and back."  So I laid on my side and relaxed completely for the next 5 contractions or so---a few of them double and triple peaked, so I knew that I must be in transition.  I also almost threw up, but then didn't....all good signs!  (Come to find out, I was actually only at about 8 cm, but my MW didn't want to discourage me)!

Finally at about 5:50, in the middle of a contraction, I felt my cervix slip away.  I was still on my side, and suddenly, there it was, the intense urge to push!  So I used the rest of that contraction to start pushing.  It ended and about 30 seconds later, another one started.  Still on my side I gave a huge push, and there was his head--still the same contraction, one more push and I got his head out!  (I'm still in shock how fast that happened)!  After his head came, he started crying, which is kind of a crazy feeling to have your vagina talking to you!  His shoulders were a bit harder than the head, but with another few pushes, Tadhg was born at 5:52. Two real pushes and no tearing on mama!!

Our other two boys were downstairs this whole time (they napped from about 1:30 to 4:30 in the room next to where I was laboring).  A few minutes after he came, my husband went downstairs and got them.  They were so excited to meet their new brother!  Our oldest, who just turned 4, got to cut the cord. 

Tadhg weighs 6 lbs 4 oz, and after a remeasuring, he's 18 inches long.  It's funny, even though he was only 37w6d, he had no vernix left---just in his leg creases--and his placenta was starting to look a bit old.  We were temping though, so we are pretty confident in the dates. 

He's been nursing great since the moment he came.  It was such perfect timing---he was born just before 6, we then hung out, had some Trader Joe's frozen mac and cheese (the perfect post birth meal), and then around 9 we turned out the lights and went to sleep.  He nursed a few times throughout the night, and is now every 2-3 hours.  Because I pushed him out so fast there's essentially no swelling in his face---and if I do say so myself, he's totally and completely beautiful!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#2 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Love it!  That sounds like it went awesome!!! joy.gif

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#3 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
joy.gif. It sounds like a wonderful birth! Congratulations!!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Wow, what a great positive birth story!  congrats!

#5 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Wow, congratulations! What a birth story, it all sounds so ideal.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#6 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks for sharing and congratulations! It sounds so calm (I don't know if that is how it seemed to you though).

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#7 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Congratulations!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#8 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Congrats!  I love hearing birth stories where it all works out for the best!!! Gives us momma's still biding our time the motivation to continue.  Congrats again and enjoy your baby moon!

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#9 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a lovely birth!  Congrats, mama! I'm so glad it all worked out so perfectly! :joy

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM

I love your story - congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful birth!!!!  :love

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#11 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM

That is such a great story. It makes me really look forward to having a baby. Congratulations!!

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#12 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Congratulations!  Glad you ended up not needing the CO (no fun)!  Thank you for sharing your story.

wave.gif
#13 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What a wonderful birth story!! love.gif

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#14 of 18 Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM

congratulations!!! thanks for sharing such a lovely birth story!!! love.gif

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#15 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like an amazing birth. Enjoy your babymoon.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#16 of 18 Old 11-14-2010, 11:44 PM

Wow!  Congratulations joy.gifI agree what a wonderful birth story.love.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#17 of 18 Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

congratulations!!! joy.gif

Crunchy Catholic Cancer Survivor
Married SAHM to DS (6) DD (4) DS (2) and DS born Nov 17, 2010
#18 of 18 Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

:)  Congrats!  Hope to have an equally positive story.  :)  How do you say his name?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page