Bloody Mucous after Cervical Exam (among other symptoms!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

***Sorry for any tmi details here!****

I just joined the mothering community and have a question for you experienced moms out there!

I am 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant and this is my second child (another girl! Madeleine is three). On Thursday evening I had a vaginal exam at my midwives and she said that I am about 1-2 cm dilated, 50% effaced, cervix is anterior, but baby is not engaged. On Friday morning, I wiped and had this large, dark red bloody mucous thing on the toilet paper. I have continued to lose mucous since, all tinged with blood ranging from pink to brown to bright red. So it's been 48 hours since the exam and still it's coming. I have been having irregular, but painful contractions, some causing back pain. With Maddie, I had no prior symptoms, no show, no plug, and painless BH contractions. I had her at 41 weeks and it was with a sudden onset of labour, delivered her 8 uncomplicated hours later. So this is all new!

I would appreciate any wisdom or knowledge you can offer: could this be early labour? Should I get checked out?

Thanks!!!!!

P.S. My midwife did a stretch and sweep as well on Thursday night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Could be from the sweep.  It won't hurt calling and letting them know, but it sounds like very early labor.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 PM

probably from the sweep... I am wondering why she did one so early?

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I'd guess it was from the sweep as well, but I agree, it wouldn't hurt to run it by your MW.  Welcome to MDC!  Your avatar art is gorgeous!  Where did you get it from?!

#5 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

Rosie 29, I have no idea where that avatar art came from---the site chose it for me! Wish I could say I was responsible for the creativity :)

I have no idea why my midwife did the sweep this early. I mean, she asked me if I wanted one and I agreed to it, but I did think it was sort of early myself. They never worked with my DD so I just thought, why not? Give it a go, but I figured nothing would result. I never had this kind of bleeding/mucous with my first so this is strange.

Tonight I am having more irregular, but painful contractions, and alot of cervical twinges (sharp pains). As well as a backache. I am really wondering if something is getting started here....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page