help me prepare for overdue ultrasound to see if everything is all right. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my dr has an induction scheduled for Tuesday (which would be 41 weeks) I don't want to go through with it--not yet! I want my natural labor and it would be harder with Pit and being stuck on the bed--AND I want to make sure this baby is ready.

I'm pretty sure he will be okay to hold offf a little longer if I suggest that we get an ultrasound, do a stress test, etc (meaning he's not the type to make me or push it if we both don't have medical evidence that it needs to happen now)

what do I need to prepare for? what kinds of things are a RISK to the baby that I might hear about in the ultrasound--which of those are immediate concerns and which are mostly false positives ? (I know you never know, but yea)--

I know there is a concern for the placenta drying up or something like that right? but if amniotic fluid is measuring okay then not a concern?! --can they tell if the baby has passed meconium? ---also I know they will bring up a big baby--my babies are 9lbs 12 oz on time so I'm sure she's getting even bigger in there....and I AM preparing myself to have them tell me she's 15lbs right now--I know the ultrasounds are off all the time with weight (I have many friends who were told their babies were either really big or really small and most of the time it has been wrong) --

what other concerns will I meet and which are realy concerns?!

I don't think I will let it go past 42 weeks (or for my husband's sake)-- but until then I can't see why I should force this yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM

You should definately be able to wait until 42 weeks for induction.

NST will show them how well the baby handles any contractions you have and that the baby is still moving well.

The ultrasound will show them fluid, placenta and size-  fluid level will most likely show on the lower end- I think you are ok down to an AFI of 5.  With my first mine got down to 6-7 and the doctor wanted my midwife to induce the next day- we didn't.  Drink tons of water now that you are overdue to keep the fluid level up. 

They can see if there is calcification on the placenta- some is ok and expected at this point.  I went into 41 weeks with both of mine and had calcification. 

Baby size- you're right is very inaccurate, so I wouldn't take much on that.

Good luck!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#3 of 3 Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for answering. sounds like an ultrasound and NST don't show if really big things are wrong anyways. I'll keep drinking ots of water!!! I guess we'll see what we see. thanks for letting me know the things that are probably a little normal at this point (ie calcification,etc) THANKS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page