Baby Zayd is here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Born with my CPM out-of-hospital where it's legal  ;)  on 11/28/2010  at 12:50 AM.  :D  His birth was fabulous and I'm still in absolute amazement over how everything went so well and my body just knew exactly what to do.  :) (more later on his birth story, but it was a hands-and-knees delivery, which is a position I have never used before and never thought I would use--till I found myself doing it!  and it was *perfect* because he had a short umbilical cord and my midwife said that is the best position for a baby with a short cord.)   I had an absolutely AMAZING doula--for FREE because she's training--I was her first "Official DONA" birth.  She was absolutely AMAZING.

However, we are in the hospital.  I am fine.  Baby was born with a condition called Low Imperforate Anus.  (there is a hole, but it is smaller than normal)  We have a caring bridge site www.caringbridge.org/babyzayd  with a little more about that and that will have updates.  :)

He is doing *very well* other than that.

Here is something I can discuss here that I haven't discussed much "publicly."

Even though we are in a hospital now, I am thrilled that he was not born in one.  He was perfectly healthy and beautiful at birth.  He nursed right away.   We were able to take him to our home the next morning, and he spent the next day with our family.  His siblings got to see and hold him. 

My body instinctively knew exactly how this baby needed to be born.  And I instinctively knew when something wasn't right and he needed medical attention.  I was the one who noticed the different-looking bottom, I knew things weren't right when he started having trouble latching *and* taking a supplement feeding.  (using an eyedropper)  We got the medical attention he needed, everyone has been fabulous with us about his homebirth.  (Well, not MY home, but out of hospital anyway) 

AND--because he was not born in the hospital and he had been home--we are NOT in the NICU.  We are in pediatrics, where I get a pull out bed and can stay in his room with him.  I know others who have had NICU babies in this hospital.  Because I am local, I would not have a room with him if he was in the NICU.  (Moms who aren't local get a room on a different floor.)  His siblings would not be able to visit the NICU.  Because we are on pediatrics, his siblings can visit.  (which reminds me I should find out if there's a time cut-off for them)  They even said I can bring toys from the playroom for them, and there's a game controller for the TV that the oldest could play with.  There's movies.  There's plenty for them to do.  (the only thing they probably can't do is I don't know about holding him because of his IV)

Anyway, other than this, which he has surgery for tomorrow--now that the doctor helped him to poop out a *ton* of meconium, he started nursing again like a total champ.  :)  He perked up, bright eyes, alert.  He's just beautiful.  :D

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, great job listening to your instincts, Mama! I'm so glad things have turned out so well. Many goodvibes.gif for surgery tommorow!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Congratulations on your little boy and sending healing vibes for a speedy recovery from surgery for him.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!!

I'm so glad everything is going so well despite his need for surgery!  It sounds like you're in the best situation.  Please keep us posted on his surgery and recovery!  I hope it will be very quick!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 AM

Congratulations Mama! Good for you for listening to your instincts! I hope everything goes well for baby Zayd.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Surgery went well  :)  He did get a colostomy.  It will be reversed after his repair surgery, which will happen when he is a year old/20 pounds.  So, for now, I take him home and treat the colostomy just like a bottom.  He can do everything my other kids did.  At a year old/20 pounds, he will come in for surgery that will reconstruct his bottom and attach the colon.  He'll keep the colostomy while that heals, then I'll bring him back 2-3 months later for the surgery to remove the colostomy.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyzayd

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#7 of 7 Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 AM

Glad it went well!

Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon :)

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page